PA Consulting Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Jul 11, 2015

3.3

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at PA Consulting (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied via LinkedIn. The end-to-end process took around 3-4 weeks and moves pretty swiftly. 0th stage - recruiter screening, pretty standard questions. 1st stage - online tests. Numerical and verbal intelligence, working with charts... they give you sample tests to practise, Do not do this at lunchtime in the office, you need to focus for 60 min approx. on each of them. 2nd stage - HR interview over phone. Show them your motivation to work for this particular consultancy. If you got a consulting background, it is a great plus. If not, find similar (internal consultancy, stakeholder facing) features in your past jobs. Do some research on their website, especially case studies and relate them to what you have done. <<< breaking point - you are invited to their HQ for a three-hour set of interviews >>> 3rd stage - manager interview. 60 min with your future boss. Will ask competency questions around your past projects and might moderately dig into your tech stack. No catch outs. 4th stage - partner pitch out. He brings you a case study and leaves the room. You have 10 min to read it + prepare your presentation + flip chart. As in other consultancies, it could be e.g. two companies having a merger & you are to redesign their IT strategy. The issue is the report is very vague - you can make up almost everything. They are intesrested in your problem decomposition. When you pitch out to the partner, be confident and do not go to tech details. He will ask you 2-3 reasonable questions and the rest of 60 min will be spent in a friendly chat Great opportunity to ask Qs around mid to long term company vision. 5th stage - report write up. The most tricky part. You have 30 min to read and write up (on a laptop they give you) a report. It is 2 pg long academic writing concerning and industrial phenomenon which will likely be out of your scope. For example, your background is IT security they will give you an article on Big Data. The time limit is not generous at all given you already spent 2 hrs being interviewed / pitching out to senior managers. Advice here is to write as you read. Last paragraph should be manager recommendation. At last, they measure your performance and you need to score above average in all stages. Sadly, if you get an offer it will typically be around 10-20% less than in Big Six.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a difficult situation in a project.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PA Consulting in June 2015.

Interview

Week 1 someone called from company itself. Got a test link out of the blue three or four days afterwards when I nearly forgotten about the company as I was on very active job hunt. Took it and found out its some online sales and accounting type test. Week 2 Interview didnt go through due to bad reception and was rebooked for week 3. Week 3, right at the time of interview, no one had the courtesy to call at all, ten minutes later got an email that Week 2's test didnt go through. An online-instant result test took them a week to know the result. WILL BE AVOIDING IN FUTURE.

Interview Questions

• Do you fancy Waitrose style partnership?   1 Answer

Principal Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at PA Consulting (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

The job was posted on Linked-In (it is still there - or has been re-posted). I talked to the recruitment consultant, then had an HR interview, then the technical interview. Both of these were over the phone. At the suggestion of the recruitment consultant, I attended an informative breakfast meeting; attended ITA Assessment Centre; after which ZERO feedback - nothing positive, nothing negative either. At the end of the day the experience was very negative due to the lack of feedback -- despite email and telephone chasers. My initial and growing admiration for the company has been dashed! Non feedback does seem to be an increasing trend these days. At least I can truthfully say that I have not been turned down by the company!

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at PA Consulting.

Interview

Phone Interview followed by Assessment Centre The phone interview was fairly straightforward. Asked basic competency questions as well as the usual questions about why PA Consulting. Assessment Centre involved a case study with a written report as well as an interview and a group activity. The interview here went into greater depth into the sector you have applied for and what you like about PA.

Summer Interview

Interview

Worst interview I have experienced. I was highly enthusiastic. Interviewer cut me off did not allow me to finish answering, was uninterested in me. Will not be applying to this company when I graduate. Upon making complaint the same person replied making no notice of how they acted except excusing cutting me off for the reason I was going into too much detail. Funny because the interview lasted half the time it was booked for so time was clearly not a factor. I have never been so angry over an interview experience.

Principal Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at PA Consulting (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Very long and drawn-out process, took nearly 5 months in total from initial contact to offer. 3 face to face interviews, verbal & numerical test, psychometric assessment over a number of sessions with limited feedback from session to session. Recruitment was for specific practice even though applicant might have suited other positions open for same consultant role within other practices.

Interview Questions

• How did you deal with a non-performing team member   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at PA Consulting (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I submitted my online application with CV and cover letter on the 20/10/2014. I was quickly contacted to complete the standard SHL assessments on the 31/10. Two weeks later, I was invited for a first phone interview with a HR officer. I was asked quite a few competency-based questions as well as the expected ones such as "why consulting, why PA". The next day, I was invited to an assessment centre (everything went so fast!). The assessment centre consisted of an introductory talk by two HR officers and the head of the practice I applied to, an interview (CV-based questions + competency based), followed by a role play, a lunch/networking break and finally, a group case study. For the role play, they put me in a meeting room, where I had 20 min to go through a couple of documents: a client had a dilemna and wanted PA to make some recommendations on this new project they were investigating on. 3 solutions to their problem were proposed in the brief - the purpose was for me to pick the best solution and explain my reasoning to the client (essentially my interviewer). It was a really fun experience with the opportunity to genuinely be original, smart while showing your personality! My advice: Get into the Game! The Lunch was then very insightful. People from analysts to partners came along to join and chat with all of us. It was a great opportunity to learn more about the company, the work they do, the culture they promote and most importantly the people at PA. Ultimately, for the group case study, they separated us into 2 groups. We were 4 people in mine. I don't remember how many minutes we had to read the material handed out to us, but it was rather quick! The activity run smoothly, the same way as a normal group case study would (discussion for 25min if I recall correctly, then a 5 minutes presentation followed by a Q&A sessions with 5 PA employees from various levels of seniority)! 4 days later, I got invited for a final round interview. This consisted of 2 interviews with 2 partners from the practice I applied to. It was more of a discussion than an interview. It was an opportunity for me to ask all my questions and for them to make sure I would fit in in the practice. In conclusion, I'd say that the whole interview process was fast, fun and insightful. By the end of it, I was convinced that PA would be a great cultural and professional fit for me!

Interview Questions

• How is PA's business transformation/change management approach like? Give an example of a case study where PA demonstrated such an approach and implemented it.   Answer Question

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PA Consulting (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

1st stage - online tests. Numerical and verbal intelligence tests. Nothing extraordinary , they even give you sample tests to practise. 2nd Stage - Phone interview with HR. Sadly the line kept breaking up so we had to reschedule the interview. Bad experience here as after rescheduling for a second time, the HR lady did not called and excuse herself the day after. I wasn't really impressed by this so decided to end communication there and then.

Interview Questions

• Why consulting? Why PA? Why Software Development? How you approach a difficult project? How will I describe a complex situation to others? Problems you came up in the university in your daily working life?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at PA Consulting (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Online tests followed by hr interview. Assesment day was very interesting. Met a couple of consultants then group interview, written exercise, competency interview. I have final interview tomorrow with 2partners. So far all good.

Strategy & Decision Sciences Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at PA Consulting (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

After submitting my online application I was invited to complete online SHL assessment that included Verbal and Numerical tests. I passed the tests and was invited to the telephone interview with a HR person. Didn't pass the interview. Would I have passed it, the next step would have been assessment day in their office.

Interview Questions

• Give an example when you have motivated your colleagues... and other similar competency questions.   Answer Question