PA Consulting Interview Questions in United States

Updated Jun 23, 2015

3.3

Consultant Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PA Consulting (Boston, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

There are 4 rounds in the interview process:
    1 interview with HR
    1 interview with a business analyst
    Assessment Center interview: this included 2 one on one interviews and a group case study. Then we had lunch at the office.
    Phone interview with a partner

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at PA Consulting.

Interview

Initial HR interview followed by panel interview (By Research & Consulting Manager and other Principal Analysts).
    Written test (5 case-studies to solve).
    Final interview with Partner.
    The whole interview process took little more than 2 and half months.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PA Consulting.

Interview

Background: I am a senior biomedical engineering undergraduate at a top 10 university. I applied for the position of Analyst for the Life Sciences division at PA's New York office. I sent in an online application through my university career center. I stressed two things in my cover letter: exposure to life science companies through work experience, and prior quasi-consulting experience at franchising and small consulting companies. However as far as I know, everyone who applied got a 1st round interview. My 1st round was an approx. 25 min phone interview with a mid-level consultant. It was sort of disorganized: the interviewer forgot we had an interview scheduled and was sort of shaken about that. The interview was straightforward for the most part - he asked a bunch of questions about my resume and asked me "What was an innovative solution you created for a problem?" or something like that. Then he left a lot of time for questions. I would say what separated me from other candidates was that I did my homework on Glassdoor, etc. and asked a lot of questions. I received confirmation of 2nd round about a week later. Before 2nd round, I had to complete a numerical and verbal reasoning test (fairly short, each section was about 20 mins, and pretty straightforward, bit tougher than the SAT). I was flown out to NY (6AM flight, mind you) for a 1pm appointment at their office in the Chrysler building. There were 3 rounds conducted that day: a 1 on 1 case interview, a 1 on 1 behavioral interview, and a group case interview with 5 other applicants. The case was about a pharmaceutical company wanting to downsize to maintain profits after their main drug lost patent protection, and then expanded on other ways to maintain profits. The interviewer more or less guided me through the steps(so it was much easier than the standard case interview). The behavioral was also straightforward - be confident, study up on some standard interview questions, etc. In between they had a short 30 minute Q&A session about working for PA. The group case was quite difficult - it was about building pyramids for the Egyptian government. There was no "right" answer as long as you could justify your answer. I was told that the key with this was to be involved, but not come on too strong. We were given 40 mins to form an answer and prepare a short presentation on poster paper, after which we presented and were grilled by a group of 2 mid-level consultants and 2 analysts. I received word about 1.5 weeks later that I did not get an offer. I was given an option to talk to an HR person about the decision. She said that I did very well in my individual case and behavioral, but that I "did not bring enough depth" to the group case and she could not clarify what that meant. She did say that they had about 20 applicants come in for 2nd round and only 4-5 got offers. My group of 6 that I was interviewing with was comprised of 3 undergrads, 1 MBA student, and 2 PhDs. What company in their right mind wouldn't take the MBA or PhDs if they can pay the same amount?? I have a hunch that's what it came down to.

Interview Questions

• Group case(this probably won't make sense to anyone seeing as I forgot specifics and they also provided a map): The Egyptian government has tasked your "tourism" company with constructing pyramid(s) along the Nile at sites A,B. You have $10000(a limited amount) to spend. There are 2 quarries to get stone from, at different distances from sites A,B, and the quarries have different stone types and prices. Site A is near the Grand Temple, site B is much further away. The Nile floods the path between quarry 1 and site A for 3 months of the year. You must build at least 1 pyramid "big enough" to serve as a museum for Egyptian treasures. The pyramid(s) must be completed in 10 years or less.

We were also given data about how quickly workers can move stone, build the pyramids, etc.

1 Answer

Analyst - Global Energy and Utilities Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PA Consulting (Denver, CO).

Interview

1) On campus interview with behavioral questions and some simple case and math questions.

1.5) Online Quantitative and Verbal Reasoning test. Doable but difficult. Other candidates I spoke with, including myself, barely finished or left 1 or 2 blank.

2) Assessment center (in-office):
        a. 4-20 minute interviews with 2-3 employees ranging from analyst up to partner (supposedly unique to this practice) primarily behavioral questions with the occasional case/brain teaser
        b. 30 minute writing test. Asked to write ~1 page explaining a very basic task
        c. Group case interview

3) If needed, final interviews with other higher-level employees

Interview Questions

• How would you go about developing a forecast for oil prices?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at PA Consulting (New Haven, CT) in November 2014.

Interview

on campus meeting then a 5 hour, on-site interview day. The whole thing was painless and professional. the on campus interview was only 30 minutes with general characteristics and screening and the site day at the office included a few different hour long interviews with a group case study. Modest, but not extreme preparation for the group interview is necessary.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your interests and a case study   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PA Consulting (Denver, CO) in November 2014.

Interview

Hiring & interview process was very fast - after an on-campus behavioral interview with a Principal, I was flown to Denver, CO 1-2 weeks later for the final round interviews.

Final rounds was very interesting
    1. Starting with free lunch with the employees
    2. A 4-man team group case interview (first time doing one)
    3. 2 behavioral interviews (2 people each)
    4. A 30-minute essay writeup (pretty abrupt, really startled me)
    5. 2 more behavioral interviews (2-3 people each)

Then... voila! interviews are over. I thought it was pretty interesting, intense, but not as hard/meticulous as the traditional MBB ones.

I am about to go into the company, but I am I guess a little cautious about the company's culture (Global Energy & Utilities) - in most of the behavioral interviews, they seemed to constantly emphasize the point of long working hours, which may/may not indicate bad work-life balance. We will have to find out!

Interview Questions

• How many palindromes are between 0 and 1,000?   2 Answers

Negotiation

Not yet accepted.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at PA Consulting in November 2014.

Interview

1. Resume Cut
    2. On-campus interview
    3. Online verbal and quantitative reasoning test
    4. On-site interview. 5 30 minute behavioral interviews incorporating assorted brain teasers and arithmetic calculations. 30 minute writing prompt. 60 minute group case interview - 45 minutes to work then 15 minutes to present.
    5. Phone interview with senior partners

Interview Questions

• Group case interview. 8 consultants/partners watching you work on a group case. No interaction with PA staff were allowed until final questions following the 15 minute presentation.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Accepted offer as presented.

Consulting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at PA Consulting (Boulder, CO) in October 2014.

Interview

On campus interview. 30-minute interview inquiring about my previous work experience. I discussed my previous work experience that was on my resume. Received a rejection e-mail 2 weeks following the interview.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at PA Consulting.

Interview

Interview process took way too long and interview format was very formal. Couldnt tell what their culture/personalities were like. Made it to the final interviewed and then accepeted another offer because i couldnt continue to wait

Consulting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at PA Consulting (Washington, DC).

Interview

Had a phone interview 1-2 weeks after applying online, talked to HR manager, 30 to 45 min long. Questions asked are standard, culture, my resume, location, pay. 1 week later had 1 more phone interview with principal consultant. It was standard behavior interview, mostly about my resume. Then flied to NYC for onsite. 3 session, 1st group discussion with 2 other candidates, then 2 sessions with 2 employees, 1 at a time.