PEAK6 Investments Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 4, 2014
17 interviews

3.4

Senior Analyst Interview

It was a series of phone calls and in person interviews. Met with nearly all senior people in the group. HR representative was very polished and professional. She called when she said she would call, she responded to all my questions by email very quickly. The whole process was very smooth.

Interview Questions
    • The most challenging question is always, "tell me about a time that you failed." you hear it in almost every interview and it's probably too often dismissed. It's a question that if answered properly can really impress.   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at PEAK6 Investments.

Very casual - in line with the work place.
    Minimal "form" HR questions. Good opportunity to meet the group.
    Very LONG process - several hours.

Apr 17, 2014President

Glad you came on board and thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your interview experience. We appreciate it. Welcome to the PEAK6 team.

Senior SQL Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at PEAK6 Investments in February 2014.

They have no clue what they are looking for. Do yourself a favor and take a pass on PEAK6. I spent over two hours and it was a waste of time. Two out of three people I interviewed with had no clue how to handle a interview. The manager alone was so disappointing in how he handle the interviewed. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR DON"T WASTE YOUR TIME. NOT WORTH WASTING YOUR TIME.

Interview Questions
    • Upper management shold get a clue about why it's taking them so long to find a Sr SQL DBA (6 months)   Answer Question

Apr 17, 2014President

Thank you for interviewing with us, and for providing feedback on your interview experience. I’m disappointed to hear you feel we didn’t handle the interviews well. I’d welcome an opportunity to ... More

Trading Assistant Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at PEAK6 Investments in August 2013.

Applied through the company website, and got a reply within 2 days of applying. Was asked to take their online assessment. It wasn't easy. Thereafter I didn't receive a response, maybe because I didn't do so well on the test. It was an enjoyable and challenging experience. It's best to practice for these tests before taking them. You can find a few on www.tradertest.org. Also www.calculationrankings.com is a great place to practice your mental math skills.

Interview Questions
    • I got asked the following questions on the online test:

1. If the probability of stock XYZ going up on any one day is 50%. What is the probability that it goes up exactly 4 out of 6 days? (Round your answer to the nearest two decimal places (i.e. .50))

2. If the probability of stock XYZ going down on any one day is 30%. What is the probability that it goes down exactly 3 out of 6 days? (Round your answer to the nearest two decimal places (i.e. .50))

3. A player selects one card from the below deck which is placed face down on a table. The player is paid $1 for a heart, $4 for a diamond, $6 for a spade, and loses $10 if they draw a club. What is the expected payoff of this game? (Round your answer to the nearest two decimal places (i.e. .50))

Cards on the deck: Numbers 5 through 8, all suits

4. You roll 2 nine sided dice, what is the probability that they sum up to 8?

5. An urn contains 10 balls: 2 red and 8 blue. A second urn contains 12 red balls and an unknown number of blue balls. A single ball is drawn from each urn. The probability that both balls are the same color is 0.64. Calculate the number of blue balls in the second urn.

6. What is the probability that the total shown when rolling two 9 –sided dice (with sides numbered 1-9) will be greater than 3? (Round your answer to the nearest two decimal places (i.e. .50))

7. You purchased a stock for $20. It has a 20% chance of going up $1 and an 80% of going down $1 each day, with its behavior independent across days. What is the probability that it will go up at least once in the next 3 days? (Round your answer to the nearest two decimal places (i.e. .50))

8. You deal 5 cards from the below deck. What is the probability that the fifth card dealt is a club? (Round your answer to the nearest two decimal places (i.e. .50))

Cards on the deck: Numbers 5 through 8, all suits

These and a few easy sequences like:

11 8 9 x 7 4 5 2
      1 -2 7 -20 61 x 547 -1640
      1 2 5 13 x

Where you needed to find 'x'
        Answer Question

Feb 4, 2014President

Thank you for interviewing with us, and for providing your feedback on your interview experience. We do strive to communicate throughout the process with potential candidates, so if you still haven’t ... More

Junior Trader Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at PEAK6 Investments.

Took an online test. Felt questions were uncharacteristically difficult compared to similar trading interviews with a strong focus on pattern recognition. Very high time-pressure and only assessed accuracy of answer (as opposed to though process which in person or on the phone interviews do). Haven't heard back at all. A negative experience overall.

Dec 23, 2013President

Trading Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at PEAK6 Investments in November 2013.

Peak6 posted on my campus's career services website. I submitted just a resume as an application and was forwarded on to their corporate website to do an application.

A day or two later I got an e-mail asking to complete an online assessment. It was the hardest IQ test that I had to take in my interviewing as most of the questions were very difficult numerical sequences or spatial reasoning questions.

About a month later, I got an e-mail asking me to participate in a Skype interview. The interview consisted of two 30-minute interviews, one with a trader, and one with HR.

The trader interview was fairly difficult. It started off with a mental math test for 10 minutes. Questions like 37*23 and 1.06*15 and whats 60% of 2.4 million. Pretty basic. After that he asked me about my program and then if I had any questions.

The HR interview was also fairly difficult considering it was HR. A lot of questions that were very pointed like, "We're interviewing 10 people today and only inviting one to our office. Why should it be you? And how does that make you feel"

The next day was invited to a Superday in Chicago. The day before the interviews we had a presentation in the office and then a social event. The day of the interviews there were a variety of assessments:

Math test (brainteasers and mental math): Toughest questions are stuff like "A stock has a 40% chance of going up each day. After 5 days, what is the probability the stock goes down exactly 2 days". Easier ones are more like "What is 87^-86^2". Brainteasers were fairly difficult as well (5x5x5 cube made of 125 1x1x1 cubes get dipped in paint how many of the 1x1x1 cubes get wet, etc.)

Programming test: they gave us a 25 minute test on programming. The first 8 minutes were to learn the "language", then the rest to complete problems. I have no experience coding so it was fairly tough. Questions like "design a program that when you input three numbers it will return the median" and harder ones like "design a program that returns how many numbers in the set are above the median"

Job Shadow: Sat with a trader for 30 minutes and they talked about what they do, very informal.

Behavioral interview: tell me about a time blah blah blah, answers were written down. Tougher question: If I gave you a million dollars, what business would you start?

Interview: Tell me something you're better than 99% of your peers at.

Interview with HR: 20 traits, rank them from 1-20 with how good you are at them (ethical, disciplines, quick thinking, etc.)

Interview: card game. Probability of getting certain cards, how much would you bet to play this game, etc.

Mock Trading: With the other interviewees trade the future value on 3 rolls of 2 dice. Keep your risk limits in mind the whole time.

Received an offer a week after the superday.

Interview Questions
    • What is the expected value after 4 days of a stock that can either go up by 70% or down by 30%?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Dec 5, 2013President

Glad you came on board, welcome to the PEAK6 team. It's worth noting that we receive several thousand resumes a year and are constantly evolving our tools and processes. Some candidates will go ... More

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PEAK6 Investments in October 2013.

My resume was submitted by a staffing agency. A few days later I had a phone screen with a development team lead where I was asked about my development experience and interest in finance. This was more of an affirmation that I was coherent than anything.

A few days after the phone screen, I was scheduled to come into the office for 1:1 interviews the next week. I met with the same development lead from the phone screen followed by a few team members. The lead's interview was behavioral and I'm assuming to judge cultural fit. I had three more 1:1 interviews: two technical, two cultural/very slightly technical. The technical questions were not outrageously difficult, probably because it was known that I was relatively inexperienced. Overall it was very pleasant, and I enjoyed meeting with everyone. In total about three hours.

After the first round of interviews, I was scheduled for a second round of three 1:1 interviews. One with the development team lead to address any more questions I had, one with the CTO (a very nice guy and great interview), and another with a development lead in a different work stream. The last two interviews were more personality and cultural fit tests, as well as opportunities for me to ask more questions about the firm and position. Again, everyone was extremely nice and very professional. Overall about 1.5 hours.

The entire interview process was pleasant, fun, and engaging. I was extended an offer three or four days after my final round of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Describe table indexing and when to use it.   Answer Question
    • What is boxing? (C#.NET)   Answer Question
    • What is the GAC?   Answer Question
    • My favorite question: Given 3 points on a circle, assume that each will start moving either clockwise or counterclockwise at speed V, independent of the other points. What is the probability that at least two of the points will collide?   View Answer

I received another offer that I believed better suited my long-term career goals.

Dec 5, 2013President

Thanks for your feedback. We're disappointed you didn't join the PEAK6 team, but we wish you the best in your new job. Keep us posted on your progress.

Junior Trader Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at PEAK6 Investments in October 2013.

There was a half an hour online exam. Which I took. Still haven't heard anything back from them. Lots of probability questions and logic questions. There is a time limit on each question rather than an overall time limit. Make sure your focused when you do it. I went into the test nonchalantly , and I considering I haven't heard back from them paid my dues.

Interview Questions
    • There was a numbers question about which number is missing I struggled a lot with that.   Answer Question

Dec 5, 2013President

Thank you for interviewing with us, and for providing feedback on your interview experience with us. We do strive to communicate throughout the process with potential candidates, so if you still ... More

Business Analyst Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at PEAK6 Investments.

1 HR Interview. 2 Skype interviews (met with 2 people for each interview for about 1 hour each), 1 In-person interview. Behavioral (fit) and mental math

Read text above, there was not option for 'the firm gave me an offer and then revoked it for no legitimate reason'

Dec 5, 2013President

Thank you for interviewing with us, and for providing feedback on your interview experience with us. I'm sorry we didn't handle the process well. We will work to do better in the future.

Talent Acquisition Interview

IT takes a fairly long time to get an interview set up if in fact you are one of the chose to get the call back. The firm is looking mostly at MIT'ers at this point with limited to zero experience in trading. Be persistent and try to connect with people on linked in who might get back to you with some additional advice.

Interview Questions
    • Be up on your basic to intermediate probability and statistics.   Answer Question

Dec 5, 2013President

Thanks for your feedback. I am a bit confused since this indicates your interview was for a talent management role. I am wondering, however, if your comments are actually around a campus trading ... More

Worked for PEAK6 Investments? Contribute to the Community!