PETA

Relevance Date Difficulty

Spokesperson Interview

Spokesperson
Norfolk, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PETA in June 2013.

Interview Details – Two weeks.

Interview Question – Stance on euthanasia?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It's a non-profit.

Video Production Specialist Interview

Video Production Specialist
Norfolk, VA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at PETA.

Interview Details – After submitting my resume and cover letter online, I received a phone call from the hiring manager that was an impromptu phone interview, which lasted about 45 minutes. I was invited in for an in person 1:1 interview with the manager of the video department, and then I was introduced to the department, where they asked many technical questions.

Interview Question – Be ready to answer technical questions about anything script-to-screen and in between.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I tried to negotiate up from the salary offer, but they stood their ground with a "take it or leave it" attitude. Don't expect them to budge.

Very Easy Interview

Special Projects Coordinator Interview

Special Projects Coordinator
Norfolk, VA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at PETA in December 2011.

Interview Details – Typically you "try out" by visiting the office for at least two days and working within the department (a pain if you're trying to interview discretely, and a big time commitment) but they were so in need of people that after a 30-minute phone interview, a writing sample test, and an in-person interview with two people, I walked right on.

Interview Question – People don't feel like they can keep up with the amount of work we give. They say it's moving too fast. Will that be a problem for you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offer you a salary and tell you they can't go higher. I didn't argue because I needed a job immediately, even though the pay was low. You can probably negotiate, but I never felt I was in the best position to.

Special Project Coordinator Interview

Special Project Coordinator
Norfolk, VA

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at PETA.

Interview Details – There's a very good reason why PETA has the number of job openings they do, especially in this period of high unemployment.

After submitting a 30-minute online, application, I was assigned two "test projects." Extremely time consuming and research intensive, and, having been employed by PETA, I know it's part of someone who actively works there project and they will use the material for themselves.

Next, I was interviewed via phone for an hour. Received an email later inviting me to Norfolk for the "final step" of the process. That involved working for two days as a volunteer for free. Talk about feeling scammed! Not only had I already interned for two months without any compensation, but my desire to work for PETA was snuffed. This organization places such little value on people's time and effort and happily has them working for free.

Interview Question – How do I handle peers that may be snippy or rude to me because they are on edge in the work environment.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I had to move down to Norfolk, even though when I was first approached and asked to apply I clearly stated that I wanted to stay at the local office because it would be financially smarter to do so. At the time the individual asking me to apply made it sound like that was something he could work out, but when I was finally offered the job it was Norfolk or nothing. So I packed up all my things, found a roommate on craiglist (which was his only recommendation, he surprisingly had no other options for me, other then living in Ghent which is outrageously expensive and something I could not do on my own based on my new income. He may be okay living pay check to pay check, but I am financially smart so that was out of the question). I luckily found a sane roommate but was fired less than two months into the job bc he did not deem me a "good fit". Too bad he couldn't figure that out during my two month internship and two day trial periods...unbelievable. Obviously no concern for peoples lives whatsoever.

Very Easy Interview

Web Designer Interview

Web Designer
Norfolk, VA

The process took 5 days - interviewed at PETA in January 2010.

Interview Details – Very easygoing and not much pressure. The people are great, and the work is pretty steady flowing.

Interview Question – How are ways you are interested in animal rights?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Corporate Liaison Interview

Corporate Liaison
Los Angeles, CA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at PETA in November 2011.

Interview Details – There's a reason why PETA has 41 job openings in this period of high unemployment. After submitting a 30-minute online, application, I was assigned two "test projects." Extremely time consuming and research intensive, probably took me 30 or 35 hours, and I'm sure they will use the projects, so I should have charged them a consultant's fee. Next, I was interviewed via phone for an hour. Passed that hurdle and then had to do a "mock corporate meeting" via Skype. Did very well on that, and received an email later that day inviting me to LA for the "final step" of the process. That involved working for two days as a volunteer. But the real kicker is that they insisted I pay for my own hotel and airfare to LA ! I live on the East Coast. I felt as though I'd been scammed, and my desire to work for PETA was snuffed. This is a job that involves "extensive travel," so I wonder why they don't have frequent flier miles for applicants they want to bring to LA. I can't imagine what it would be like to work for an organization that places such little value on people's time and effort.

Interview Question – What company would you target on animal welfare issues and why?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I was turned off by the organization's demands.

IT Manager Interview

IT Manager
Norfolk, VA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at PETA in May 2010.

Interview Details – Recieved a screening call from placement agency. Position seemed positive. 1-1 interviews with managers from different groups. Some were very warm and some gave me a very unconfortable feeling. I did not get a warm feeling from director. Seemed to be a bit sarcastic.

Vegan culture only. Impression people could be really mean if you didn't choose a vegan lifestyle outside of work.

Interview Question – Have you ever had a project that failed?   View Answer

Email Systems Administrator for Campaigns Interview

Email Systems Administrator for Campaigns
Virginia Beach, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at PETA in August 2009.

Interview Details – Committee was very cool, liked the questions from and personality of the interviewer.

Interview Question – why aren't you a vegetarian   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Almost 15K paycut plus move out of state. Would not be able to remain a homeowner although I would have loved to take that job.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for PETA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PETA interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by PETA employees and interview candidates.