PETA

Updated Nov 21, 2014

3.1

Youth Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PETA in July 2014.

1. I was emailed a list of questions including: Why are you vegan? Take a look at our social media and website and tell us what you think. What are 3 companies that are doing a great job reaching young people? Write a blog post. etc

2. 30-45 min phone call with Director of Marketing -- he asked questions about my interests and experience. I was invited to visit the LA office for a 2 day trial working interview. PETA is a non-profit so I understood that I would need to pay for the trip on my own. It was worth it for me because I was choosing between several different work opportunities.

3. 2 day trial working interview -- It was really fun. I've interviewed at companies ranging from Google to Pinterest to SF start-ups and I can definitively say that this was the BEST interview experience I have had. I arrived at the LA office and was greeted immediately by Cody who gave me a tour of their building. I was then given paperwork and 3 writing samples. Everyone was so friendly, energetic and passionate about their work. I was then given several projects to complete over the duration of my stay.

The work environment was very open and collaborative. They often have free lunches and I was able to really meet the team over lunch both days. After my first day, the marketing team all went out to a really cool restaurant together. Overall, the experience was incredibly authentic and rewarding.

Interview Questions
    PETA is a non-profit. I already read that there is no negotiation. I'm really passionate about the work I will be doing, so I chose PETA over other higher paying companies. It's all up to you.

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PETA in July 2014.

I applied at the beginning of July and about a week later was contacted to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview took place near the end of July. The phone interview lasted about an hour and was pretty intense. The interview was not with HR but another senior researcher. A lot of technical questions and discussions about my background. The next step after the phone interview was to do a mini project to see if you like the work and so PETA could assess your skills. However, I did not get past the phone interview so I was never asked to do the mini project. But it seems like it would of been a lot of work, especially for someone already working full time.

Interview Questions
    • If you were on the radio and asked the question "Can animal research ever be replaced with alternative testing methods?' There were quite a few questions like that and also I was asked to provide specific examples to those questions.   Answer Question

Mobile Marketing Strategist Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at PETA in April 2014.

The hiring process for PETA was pretty straight forward. The application is lengthy but I think it does a good job at weeding out potential applicants that are just applying to apply.

I was contacted within 48 hours for a telephone interview. The man I spoke with was very personable and friendly and gave me a great inviting vibe that made me excited for the opportunity to even interview. Upon completion of the call I was immediately emailed an invitation to come to the LA office for an on-site working interview. This interview was two days long. From an applicants point of view I think this was a highlight. It really provided me with the opportunity to see if the office environment, people and overall culture would be a good match for me. And of course it's a great opportunity for the employer to get a feel for the applicant. Though the working interview is obviously unpaid, they do provide applicants with free vegan lunch during their visit.

The follow up process after the interview, however, was lengthy and seemed a bit unorganized. I was in contact with multiple people, many of whom weren't aware I was already being helped by someone else. I was also told I would 'hear back' within a week but it was actually more like three weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Interview questions were pretty standard and almost seemed like most of the interview was more conversation than anything. Very animal rights focused.   Answer Question
    There was absolutely NO negotiation. This was perhaps more an error on my part but they seemed to kind of guilt you into accepting the first offer by saying we are a non-profit so pay will not be as competitive.

I was also overcome with excitement for just the opportunity to work with PETA so I may have accepted in haste when realistically I could of squeezed a few extra thousand out of them.

Video Production Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at PETA.

After submitting my resume and cover letter online, I received a phone call from the hiring manager that was an impromptu phone interview, which lasted about 45 minutes. I was invited in for an in person 1:1 interview with the manager of the video department, and then I was introduced to the department, where they asked many technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • Be ready to answer technical questions about anything script-to-screen and in between.   Answer Question
    I tried to negotiate up from the salary offer, but they stood their ground with a "take it or leave it" attitude. Don't expect them to budge.

Spokesperson Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PETA in June 2013.

Two weeks.

It's a non-profit.

Special Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at PETA.

There's a very good reason why PETA has the number of job openings they do, especially in this period of high unemployment.

After submitting a 30-minute online, application, I was assigned two "test projects." Extremely time consuming and research intensive, and, having been employed by PETA, I know it's part of someone who actively works there project and they will use the material for themselves.

Next, I was interviewed via phone for an hour. Received an email later inviting me to Norfolk for the "final step" of the process. That involved working for two days as a volunteer for free. Talk about feeling scammed! Not only had I already interned for two months without any compensation, but my desire to work for PETA was snuffed. This organization places such little value on people's time and effort and happily has them working for free.

Interview Questions
    • How do I handle peers that may be snippy or rude to me because they are on edge in the work environment.   View Answer
    I had to move down to Norfolk, even though when I was first approached and asked to apply I clearly stated that I wanted to stay at the local office because it would be financially smarter to do so. At the time the individual asking me to apply made it sound like that was something he could work out, but when I was finally offered the job it was Norfolk or nothing. So I packed up all my things, found a roommate on craiglist (which was his only recommendation, he surprisingly had no other options for me, other then living in Ghent which is outrageously expensive and something I could not do on my own based on my new income. He may be okay living pay check to pay check, but I am financially smart so that was out of the question). I luckily found a sane roommate but was fired less than two months into the job bc he did not deem me a "good fit". Too bad he couldn't figure that out during my two month internship and two day trial periods...unbelievable. Obviously no concern for peoples lives whatsoever.

Special Projects Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at PETA in December 2011.

Typically you "try out" by visiting the office for at least two days and working within the department (a pain if you're trying to interview discretely, and a big time commitment) but they were so in need of people that after a 30-minute phone interview, a writing sample test, and an in-person interview with two people, I walked right on.

Interview Questions
    • People don't feel like they can keep up with the amount of work we give. They say it's moving too fast. Will that be a problem for you?   View Answer
    They offer you a salary and tell you they can't go higher. I didn't argue because I needed a job immediately, even though the pay was low. You can probably negotiate, but I never felt I was in the best position to.

Corporate Liaison Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at PETA in November 2011.

There's a reason why PETA has 41 job openings in this period of high unemployment. After submitting a 30-minute online, application, I was assigned two "test projects." Extremely time consuming and research intensive, probably took me 30 or 35 hours, and I'm sure they will use the projects, so I should have charged them a consultant's fee. Next, I was interviewed via phone for an hour. Passed that hurdle and then had to do a "mock corporate meeting" via Skype. Did very well on that, and received an email later that day inviting me to LA for the "final step" of the process. That involved working for two days as a volunteer. But the real kicker is that they insisted I pay for my own hotel and airfare to LA ! I live on the East Coast. I felt as though I'd been scammed, and my desire to work for PETA was snuffed. This is a job that involves "extensive travel," so I wonder why they don't have frequent flier miles for applicants they want to bring to LA. I can't imagine what it would be like to work for an organization that places such little value on people's time and effort.

Interview Questions
    • What company would you target on animal welfare issues and why?   View Answer

I was turned off by the organization's demands.

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at PETA in May 2010.

Recieved a screening call from placement agency. Position seemed positive. 1-1 interviews with managers from different groups. Some were very warm and some gave me a very unconfortable feeling. I did not get a warm feeling from director. Seemed to be a bit sarcastic.

Vegan culture only. Impression people could be really mean if you didn't choose a vegan lifestyle outside of work.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever had a project that failed?   View Answer

Web Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at PETA in January 2010.

Very easygoing and not much pressure. The people are great, and the work is pretty steady flowing.