PHD Media

Very Easy Interview

Digital Strategist Interview

Digital Strategist
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at PHD Media.

Interview Details – Very simple. Involved an initial phone screening with the recruiter, then an in-person meeting with the team. The questions were very straight-forward, focusing on background experience and what you're looking for. Mainly, the people here look for a personality fit. As long as you are well spoken and have some work experience to back you up, you're pretty much guaranteed a spot. I would not say the interviewing process here is that competitive.

Interview Question – There were none. Probably the most difficult was talking about what I didn't like about my current job, or asking about a difficult situation--these are very standard questions so if you are prepared, you are not going to be stunted.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. The recruiter is pushy with rushing you to make a decision. Benefits are stated- again, very standard. No perks like bonuses, which is typical of the industry. Low pay compared to other agencies.

Assistant Media Buyer Interview

Assistant Media Buyer

Interviewed at PHD Media

Interview Details – HR reached out to me after I didn't receive offer from previous interview. Met with two of the department VPs. More of a conversation than an interview. I was asked a few casual questions, nothing tricky. Sent thank you emails an hour after. Received an offer the following day.

Interview Question – Why do you want to get into the industry?   View Answer

Associate Media Director Interview

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at PHD Media in November 2009.

Interview Details – The hiring process is tedious here. Depending on the individuals experience, it can range from 1-2 months to hire. Most often, a good candidate is lost when offers are not made sooner.

Interview Question – How would you turn around a challenger brand?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was a long process and would not budge on salary. Instead was able to negotiate more time off than I actually needed!

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Assistant Negotiator/Buyer Interview

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PHD Media in May 2011.

Interview Details – I was first introduced to PHD by a mutual friend who is a producer there. Later on I tweeted the company and got a response, which led to a phone interview. After moving from Los Angeles to New York City, I had two more short phone conversations with an HR Coordinator before my interview. When I went to the interview I was under the impression that I was just meeting with HR, but I actually met with four members of the Media Buying team on the GlaxoSmithKline account. They were all very nice and the interview was very comfortable. They all described PHD as a great place to work with a family environment. It took roughly a week before I received my offer.

Interview Question – Give an example of a high pressure situation and how you dealt with it.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – After speaking with several industry professionals, I decided that I wanted to go the planning/strategy route rather than the media buying route. I would still like to work for PHD at some point, but it was not the right position for me.

Associate Media Director Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at PHD Media in October 2010.

Interview Details – First I was interviewed on the phone. This was fine although HR had no clue about the position. Then I came in for an interview and they scheduled me for the wrong day. However they re-arranged their schedules to meet with me. The interviews lasted almost 3 hours. Then I had to come back again. And someone was out sick so I had another interview via the phone. Overall a waste of time.

Interview Question – Why are you looking for another job?   Answer Question

Media Planner Interview

San Francisco, CA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at PHD Media in July 2008.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the office assistant to schedule an in person interview after I had applied online. I first interviewed with the Media Director, then 2 Media Supervisors of the group that I was applying for. The director asked the most questions, which included my past experience, current expectations, etc. The rest seemed to more focus on fit and offered their take on their positions and answered my questions. Overall, the interview process went very smoothly and I got a call from HR in NY within a week with an offer.

Interview Question – Why do you want to do media planning?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – relatively flexible

Assistant Strategist Interview

Interviewed at PHD Media

Interview Details – They conducted two phone interviews before inviting me to the San Francisco office. Everyone I talked to was very kind, professional, and expressed enthusiasm for the workplace. At the in-person interview, however, I was told that two members of the team were unable to speak with me despite having scheduled with me, so the interview ended one hour early. No one from HR followed up with me to reschedule.

Interview Question – What kind of accounts would you be most interested in?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for PHD Media? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PHD Media interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by PHD Media employees and interview candidates.