PLS Logistics Services Account Executive Trainee Interview Questions

Updated Oct 3, 2014

2.5

20 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Account Executive Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PLS Logistics Services.

Phone interview with basic questions. I was asked to come in for a face to face interview. In the face to face interview I spoke with a manager and discussed the company and position. Then he had me shadow a few of the sales executives. After that I had another interview with a different supervisor. He just asked more standard questions.

Other Interview Reviews for PLS Logistics Services

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at PLS Logistics Services in August 2014.

They sent me an email wanting to set up an initial phone interview with the corporate office, asking regular questions about who you are. Then she wanted me to go into a second face to face interview in their office. The interviewer was asking me questions more about the account executive trainee position and if I would be a good fit. I dislike cold calling all day and pushed him away, after that knew they wouldn't hire me. Because over qualified

Interview Questions
    • Would you prefer to be on a phone for most of the day?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PLS Logistics Services in July 2014.

Initially contacted by great recruiter that covered all of my questions. Even asked about best/worst days in the office and she was very up front about it. I was able to discuss the different opportunities ahead (mostly location based) and she offered some things to think about. I also spoke with a second recruiter, she may have been assigned to the program track I decided to pursue (?), and was just as helpful. Two phone screens before an on-site visit. Visit kind of surprised me -- office is in a corporate park but is one big open floor for the salespeople. Operations is tucked in the back corner and the branch manager is in an office in the middle. I spoke first with a sales manager who was the trainer for the program. He didn't seem to offer much beyond seeing if I had "it." I sat with an AE at his minicubicle to watch how the day-to-day went. He was unsuccessful in other sales roles but was settling in well at PLS. He was very honest that days are up and down. Next I met with the branch manager and had about a 20 minute conversation with him. Not direct questions, but an open conversation. I was told to prepare for a geography test that never happened. I was also asked to bring references and an assignment on trucking company specialties, but they weren't even mentioned until I left them with the branch manager on my way out. I thought it meant that I wouldn't be moving on, but he did say that the interview process recently changed to be more sales oriented than HR, so maybe that part was cut out.

Interview Questions
    • I expected an intense grilling from the branch manager to really see what I had, but the interview was not that at all. We got a little bit into experience and goals, but it was more an opportunity to connect.   Answer Question

Beginning compensation is great; apartment, mileage, $38k for while you're training. What turned me off was the draw on commission once I started selling on my own. The AE I sat with said that a bad week or two can wreck you and there's not much you can do to stop the bleeding. I was also concerned that I'd be responsible for the delivery execution even though I was miles and miles away and couldn't do much, especially with drivers that didn't always speak English. Too weird for me to make promises on the phone with absolutely no support in backing them up.

Account Executive Trainee Interview

Really unprofessional company. Took awhile to contact me after the phone interview. Eventually offered me a second interview which I declined due to the horrible reviews for the workplace. Everything seemed unprofessional and disorganized. From what I hear, the position is mostly commission based. Good for someone who thinks they could be a successful salesperson.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PLS Logistics Services in June 2014.

Fresh out of college, applied online and within the next day got a call to schedule a phone interview that week. Basic questions about my resume, education, and skills that i can bring to the company. Very quick overview of the position in which while my hand was trying to keep up and write down key points the recruiter was saying, she caught me off guard with the question "how do you feel about working on 100% commission" be ready for it. (20 min)

At the end she invited me to a face-to-face or Skype interview with the branch manager.
    Do to my hectic schedule at the time i chose the Skype interview.

Pretty simple stuff, "tell me about yourself" "can you/how do you handle rejection" "what motivates you" "how do you feel about working with a team" "1-10 rate your multi-tasking abilities, how organized are you..." Talked about money & sports at the end, very cool BM who made me want the job even more. Emphasized numerous times that if you bust your tail, you'll make money. *They like to know you're competitive (45 min)

Got the job offer the next day. Asked to give me a week to review & decide. -Still reviewing my options but will make a decision soon.

I'm getting the vibe of long hours (7:15-5:30) and tedious work.
    That the amount of income you make is solely based on how bad you want it. Sales isn't for everyone, you either have it or you don't.

Interview Questions
    • "How do you feel about working on 100% commission"
      "1-10 rate yourself questions" - i didn't really know what he meant on some of the questions he wanted me to rate. *Ask for clarification
        Answer Question
    No negotiations.
    $38k base + uncapped commission.
    90 day probation until you meet the quotas for 2-5 consecutive months, then base is dropped and 100% commission at 20%.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

There were two steps in the interview process outside of the application: a quick phone interview with someone in the corporate office and an in-person one with the managers at the local office. The phone interview lasted about 15-20 minutes and consisted of general questions about my background and my goals for my future career. The in-person interview lasted about 40-45 minutes and was more questions that were similar to the phone interview but went into more detail about what the position entailed.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were particularly difficult, the managers simply wanted to know more about me and asked why my skills fit the job description.   Answer Question
    Negotiation wasn't successful from my perspective. Everyone starts on the same base salary

Account Executive Trainee Interview

Applied online, received a response very quickly. Phone Interview with basic questions about sales and why you'd be cut out for a sales position. Next was an in-person interview. First you take a typing assessment, map test, and a brief company information test, then you meet with the interviewer. Some similar questions to the phone interview, but more in-depth and not as structured. Process took about two weeks.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I submitted a resume online, was called the following day, and was given some information about the company. We scheduled a phone interview with a different person (most of it felt rehearsed and nothing was really tailored to individual candidates) which lasted under 20 minutes, and I was invited for an in-office interview. After the phone interview, I received an e-mail with a homework assignment and a note mentioning I would have an assessment on the US states, typing, and information about the industry. Day of the interview I wasn't asked for any of the things I was instructed to prepare. The interview itself was very casual, and the staff was even more casual (as in employees in flip flops and shorts). I spoke with the office manager for about 20-25 minutes, and then sat with an employee for another 20 minutes to see the function of the job. Both of them were expecting me to ask 100 questions, and the employees were all really happy in a Stepford Wives kind of way... It was a little strange. A couple days later I received an email saying I wasn't selected. They were incredibly prompt with all of their communications.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly, the interviewer didn't ask the usual types of questions expected in an interview. He asked more about my previous work experience, how it would relate to the duties, and why I was interested in the company and the position.   Answer Question

Account Executive Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at PLS Logistics Services.

Contacted through an online job post, and was called two days later to set up a phone interview for the end of the week. During the interview, the interviewer felt very rushed and started off by asking how I heard about the company, and how I would deal with rejection, and with the cold calling process. From then, she asked if I had any questions, which I asked a few standard interview questions about the company. After that she wrapped up the interview. It lasted maybe 10 minutes, and did not discuss my qualifications or resume whatsoever.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at PLS Logistics Services.

Jax office. Met HR manager at school career fair. Initial phone interview typical questions- Your qualities, why you want to get into sales, etc. On-site interview included a short tour of the facility and interview with a manager (23yrs old). Yes they have a bball court and a small classroom, but the rest of the floor was packed with cubicles. Atmosphere was extremely laid-back. I got strange looks walking in with a suit and tie. Loud music, loud people, mostly low/mid 20's, but most employees seemed to enjoy the camaraderie and working environment. Not something that interested me. But after the on-site interview, the manager I met with arranged a final interview with his regional manager, which I assume is the last part of the process.

Oh and yes turnover is very high, but the manager claims its not just PLS, its the entire freight shipment industry. In PLS if you're not on track after 7 months, you're basically done and want to quit.

Interview Questions
    • What are three other companies similar to ours?   View Answer