PNC Financial Services Group Customer Service Representative Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2014
Updated Sep 2, 2014

2.8

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Melbourne, FL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne, FL

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at PNC Financial Services Group in July 2014.

Attended a 'Group' interview in Melbourne, Florida for a Customer Service Representative for PNC in Viera, Florida. What I assumed would be multiple interviewers in the group interview turned out to be multiple applicants being interviewed together. There were three store managers sitting around the oval conference table with the recruiter at the end. The multiple applicants including myself sat at the table. The recruiter played a Company video on her notebook at the beginning of the interview process. She explained how the questions would be asked by asking us the same question in a clockwise order then switching it.

Interview Questions
  • Although the recruiter stated that there were multiple positions and that the applicants weren't competing for the same position was deceiving. The interview tone became combative and competitive. As an experienced CS Rep. I care about people. I wasn't going to use the other applicants answers against them to degrade their qualifications as one did during the interview. Awkward interview style that I would not participate in again unless I was running for a Political office.
    The Group interview enabled one younger applicant to look at the older applicant and state repeatedly that she had a good twenty more years of productive working years to offer. After that this same applicant repeatedly stated how she stays at her job and doesn't skip around after hearing the other applicant state that she has only been at her current bank for a few months. This wasn't a healthy environment where each applicant could promote his/her talents without them being used against them in a competitive way.
      Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for PNC Financial Services Group

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at PNC Financial Services Group.

The interview process was a bit lengthy (total of 2 months I'd say). I completed an application then two weeks later, I was called back for a phone interview. I passed the first phone interview, then they scheduled me for an additional phone interview. I passed the second interview that I passed and was told to come in for a group interview. The group interview was a large room filled with about 20-25 people. The groups were then separated by 4-6 people per group in different rooms through out the building with a PNC team lead. During the group interview, we were asked scenario questions, and were told to be ourselves. Following a week later, I was called back with a job offer.

Interview Questions
    No, but due to my experience they negotiated a fair pay for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kalamazoo, MI

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at PNC Financial Services Group in March 2014.

I applied online and had instant feedback. I was called by a recruiter, then we set up a group interview. Group interview took about an hour and a half. It was very laid back.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you have been faced with negative customer, and how did you deal with them?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online - interviewed at PNC Financial Services Group in July 2014.

The whole process took about 4 weeks, I applied online and got a call back from a recruiter, I answered a few interview questions then was sent an assessment to my email. After I completed the assessment I was sent another email to schedule and interview time. The interview was a group interview which is what screwed me up because I'm horrible at public speaking.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you provided 5 star customer service   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kalamazoo, MI

The process took 1 week - interviewed at PNC Financial Services Group in March 2011.

An initial telephone interview was scheduled and conducted with a human resources rep. This interview lasted around 30 minutes, was fairly simple and just laid the ground work the 1:1 interview. The rep asked simple questions about my experience and education. The 1:1 interview was more of the same, but the human resources rep explained in detail the job title and hours. Also at the 1:1 interview I was witness to the fun and relaxed atmosphere of the call center. Overall it was a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions
    • Please explain a situation where you went above and beyond what your job description to help out a customer.   View Answer
    • Why did you leave your previous employer?   View Answer
    Negotiation was available. They were able to meet my expected salary. They offered 26,000 per year, I talked them up to offering 28,000 per year.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at PNC Financial Services Group.

I applied online for this position and within a week the hiring manager sent me an email to set up an interview. It was a group interview involving about 10-12 interviewees, the hiring manager, and 3 other managers. The interview began with all the interviewees and managers introducing themselves. The managers gave us insights about the company and the position we were interviewing for. Afterwards, the hiring manager asked various customer service questions and everyone took turns giving their answers. Once the questions were done, the interviewees were able to ask the manager questions related to the company and position. This group interview lasted for about 2 hours. I ended up doing well in the group interview and moved on to an one-on-one interview with the branch manager at one of their locations. This was a two part interview. Part one involved the manager asking me questions about my job experiences and what I have contributed to my current and previous jobs. In the second part of the interview, we walked around the grocery store. The purpose of this was to see how well I could interact with strangers and strike up small talk to introduce PNC services and products. This did not go well for me and I did not get the job.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any difficult or unexpected questions. Every question asked dealt with customer service such as name a time you went above and beyond for a customer. The hardest part was thinking of an answer that was different and unique from what everyone else was saying.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at PNC Financial Services Group in January 2014.

First contact was by phone to set up a phone interview. Then I had one phone and two in person interviews.

The phone interview was with a regional HR-Recruiter that interview was the standard qualifing question to see if you have the basic qualifications and not have something in your past that could disqualify you.

First in person interview was at the branch level and was the standard give me an example of when you did/experienced/handled a particular situation.

Second interview was with a regional representative and they asked many of the same type of questions.

The offer was made a little more than a week after the final interview.

The whole process took about 4 weeks. They proceed with caution at all levels to make sure they are making a good choice.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example where you had to deal with a very upset customer.   Answer Question
    I had researched entry level pay scales for similar positions in this area and their offer was on the upper level of that range and I accpeted the offer without negotiations.

Customer Service Representative Interview

interviewed at PNC Financial Services Group in February 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiting agent who asked basic questions to determine whether I met the minimum requirements. She briefly explained the position and then sent an assessment. Once I completed that I was contacted by another recruiter who simply gave me the number to yet another recruiter - the "main" recruiter for the position. We did a brief phone interview during which he explained in greater detail the position. I was then scheduled for a group interview. It sounds intimidating, but the process was actually very comfortable. I interviewed with three other candidates and we took turns answering the questions, which were behavioral-based. The hiring manager was really nice. It was a positive experience; PNC is pretty laidback.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself.
      Tell me about a time you had to explain something difficult
      Another question related to your ability to handle change
        Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate. The salary met my expectations.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at PNC Financial Services Group in July 2013.

Applied online and was e-mailed about doing a group interview a week or so later. I couldn't make it, but was e-mailed again a few weeks later when they were doing another round of interviews, which surprised me. The branch manager and the HR rep were both involved. It was a group interview where a question was asked and the interviewees went around the room giving answers. The questions were all what is mentioned on this site, so it wasn't too difficult but answers also tend to get repetitive if you're not the first or second to answer. If you don't have any banking experience and other candidates in the interview do it feels as though they immediately count you out. Those who had banking experience were taken to talk to the branch manager after the interview, while those who didn't were told they would hear back soon. Having no banking experience, I heard back about seven business days later that they were 'moving forward with other candidates'.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult/unexpected. They had a sheet of six or seven questions which were all listed on Glassdoor, so I was prepared to answer those questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PNC Financial Services Group.

I applied on-line. A HR representative contacted me via e-mail in order to establish a phone interview. We discussed the position and my qualifications. A skills test followed. I completed an on-line application and I gave my permission for the background and drug tests. I got a call a couple days later and I scheduled the in-person interview. I went to the interview, discussed the position as well as my experience and qualifications one more time. I signed more paperwork regarding my (lack of) criminal convictions. I received a job offer. I completed a drug test and I was fingerprinted for yet another? background test.

Con: The background check process is very complex, which I assume is normal for the banking industry , and also very confusing. The confusing part makes me , personally, nervous.
    Pro: The recruiters , HR employees were very helpful so far.

Overall: It is a friendly atmosphere and they do accommodate your needs during the interviewing process.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a mistake you made in the past.   View Answer
    The offer was fair so I did not negotiate.

Worked for PNC Financial Services Group? Contribute to the Community!