PNC Financial Services Group Interview Questions in Pittsburgh, PA

Updated Jul 29, 2015

2.7

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at PNC Financial Services Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied for a few positions at PNC: Software Engineer II, Software Engineer Back-End development, Software Engineer QA. I received an email from a senior recruiter requesting a time to talk on the phone to discuss potential opportunities. Three days later we have a phone conversation regarding positions available, how the environment at PNC is, etc. He discusses with me about my current job, compares and contrasts it with PNC. In addition, he mentions how he had a hand full of managers that may be interested (even more than the positions I applied for). He tells me he will get back to me the following week after he gets into contact with the managers. He emailed me three days later and set up a phone call for a week later. During this next phone call, he starts talking to me about the same thing we discussed the week before, and told me he was going to talk to managers. When I brought up that we spoke before, he started to apologize and told me he or another recruiter would be in contact with me by the following day. The next day, I received a phone call from another recruiter about a potential position, and we set up a phone interview (she told me it was for the back-end development position). The phone interview was with the hiring manager, and another manager who previously held the position I applied for. One of the two were actually driving while on the phone call (could hear horns honking, and he stated he was driving at the end of the phone call). The questions were about my experiences, and technologies I have used. I was contacted by the second recruiter again, and she gave me a date and time to have an in person interview. I wasn’t able to make it due to a work conflict. This seemed to annoy her, and resulting in very unprofessional voicemails and emails. A time was agreed on for an in person interview. The day of the interview, she called to tell me they had to cancel the interview due to meetings that just came up (the interview was at 4:15 PM, I received the call at 3 PM). There was back and forth to schedule another interview, until another one was scheduled at the beginning of the following week (Monday). I received an email on Sunday cancelling that interview as well, and giving a date that I had to make or an interview could not be conducted. This resulted in me calling off of work to attend the interview. I arrive for the interview, finally after two cancellations, and find out the interview was for a totally different position (front-end). I have worked on front end development before, however I was not prepared. I handled the questions well (behavioral based along with discussing technologies I have used in the past, and ones that PNC uses). The types of questions were what I would do in a certain situations, how I choose a technology to use for a project, and an example of how I communicated from a front end (client) to the back end (server). After the final interview, a week went by without updates (I was told I would be notified by end of the week of the interview, which was three days after the interview). I emailed the senior recruiter, and asked him if there was any information. He didn’t respond, finally three days later I had been given a 48-hour deadline for another job offer (either accept, reject, or negotiate). I contacted the senior recruiter, and this time received an offer. PNC offered two thousand more than the other company. That same day, I received a phone call from another recruiter for the same position that I had interviewed for and was given an offer. I decided, after being interviewed for the wrong position, the multiple reschedules, and the response from the recruiter, to go with another company.

Interview Questions

• How do you decide what technology (frameworks, testing, etc) to use when given a problem to solve?   1 Answer
    • Going from a university developer position to a major enterprise development team, how can you convince me that you would be ready?   1 Answer

AML Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at PNC Financial Services Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in May 2015.

Interview

Pretty simple, typical behavioral question, have examples, be genuine and shot excitement/extreme interest. Two managers in the room, another manager on the phone asking behavioral questions. Rather low key, no real pressure worked with you as you were answering the questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? Give an example of when you had to have a difficult conversation...Give an example where you had to make a compromise   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, take or leave it offer...

ACCEL Program Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at PNC Financial Services Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied through my college's career website and after a few days I received an email requesting a phone interview. After the phone interview i scheduled to I have an interview in person for their super day. I drove 4 hours to Pittsburgh for the interview and all of my expenses were paid for the trip. Both of the hiring managers were extremely nice in fact everyone at the branch was pleasant. After the weekend I received a phone call about my job offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

You were able to pick where you want to work

Loan Support Analyst I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at PNC Financial Services Group (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

Short phone interview and in-person interview with a panel of two managers of the Commercial Loan department. There was little discussion about the pay scale, which made it a little difficult to negotiate a salary in the first interview.

Interview Questions

• What interested you in the position when you were in the application process?   Answer Question
    • Do you think you work better with a team, or individually?   Answer Question
    • How do you handle a situation if you caused a mistake/how would you explain to the client what happened?   Answer Question

Strategic Initiative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PNC Financial Services Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

Back to back 6 interviews, very friendly. They asked standard behavioral questions, but was mostly looking for consultant-type candidates. Self-starter, good communications, able to influence people more senior than you.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too serious, some case questions but very easy to navigate   Answer Question

Lending Closer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at PNC Financial Services Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

Interview lasted one hour and was very direct. The typical questions were asked, such as greatest strengths and weaknesses, greatest accomplishments in my career and education, how have i handled multitasking with strict time guidelines, how I have dealt with difficult situations at work and how I dealt with difficult employees, colleagues/co-workers.

Interview Questions

• What are your greatest strengths?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at PNC Financial Services Group (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

I was contacted for a brief phone interview from the HR person. She asked me about three behavioral questions before inviting me to a super day event happening in Pittsburgh. The super day was a two day process happening at the Westin Hotel. The first night was an informal marketing night. You had the opportunity to talk to executives and ask how they like PNC. The next day was a formal interview. It was three, twenty five minute interviews. These interviews were extremely relaxed. They were formatted like a conversation, each interviewer asked three questions each.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at PNC Financial Services Group (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

First, I applied through my university and received an on campus interview. Four day later, I was informed that I was invited to super day in roughly three weeks. Super day was crowded, but run very well. I had four interviews for the Capital Markets Track. The interviews were mostly behavioral, but I there was one technical, one brain teaser, and a few questions about my opinions on the markets and current finance events.

Interview Questions

• How does net income show up in all three financial statements?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PNC Financial Services Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied for position online. Got an email within 48 hours asking for a more formal application. The next day I got an email to take a IQ/Skills Test. Waited about 2 days, got an email to schedule a phone interview. Got a call later, skipped phone interview and went to schedule to come in for a Group Interview/Hiring Event. At the Hiring Event, we broke up into group. 1st interview was with one other applicant and two Group Leaders. Lasted about 45 mins (5-6 questions). Then we went and watched a short video about PNC. Then I had my 2nd 1on1 interview with a Manger. Lasted about 25 mins (5 questions). Within 48 hours I was called back.

Retail Banking Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at PNC Financial Services Group (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

consisted mainly of behavioral questions. they fly everyone they are going to interview into Pittsburgh for the day and each person interviews with 2 different people. overall it was one of the better interviews I have participated in. about a week after the interview I got a call and an offer.

Interview Questions

• if your friends were to describe you what would they say?   Answer Question