PNC Financial Services Group Interview Questions in Pittsburgh, PA

Updated Mar 23, 2015

2.7

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PNC Financial Services Group in February 2014.

Applied for position online and through an employee referral. Heard from HR within a few days and had a "get to know me" session with one of the managers of the hiring manager. Invited back one week later for a more in-depth interview with several people. Entire process from start to finish took about four weeks.

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at PNC Financial Services Group in February 2014.

Had a basic interview with people from UX, showed portfolio and had to talk about my process. They were curious about the UX methods used, whether it was individual or a group project, and the time frame the project had taken place. They also wanted to hear more about my research and questions I had for them.

Continuous Improvement Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at PNC Financial Services Group in January 2014.

I was first contacted via email by a recruiter to gauge my interest. As we progressed to the screening call I found her to be very east to work with and she was always responsive to my questions.

A phone interview with the department head followed and then a panel interview. The panel interview consisted of 5 people in the room and another 3 on the conference call. They did a good job of making the situation as stress free as possible.

Unfortunately, the original recruiter went on long term leave on the day after my panel interview. The recruiter that replaced her made no effort to let me know of next steps or if I didn't get the job. To this day I have never heard back from anyone at PNC in any format.

Overall, it was a good experience except for the lack of communication after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a situation where you had to navigate a difficult political landscape.   View Answer

C&IB: Capital Markets Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PNC Financial Services Group.

The way they set up the interviews was such that the previous night there would be a networking event where you could speak with current PNC employees and your interviewers. Great format, and friendly people who are very passionate about their company. The interviews were mostly behavioral with the occasional market outlook question. Interesting thing to know is that you interview with every group in your track and then must rank your top choices at the end of the day. Its evident that this is a quickly growing company. Choosing PNC above all, is definitely a lifestyle choice.

Interview Questions
    • Why PNC? Why specific group? Financial statements questions?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate

Finance and Accounting Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at PNC Financial Services Group in November 2013.

First I had an on-campus interview and was then asked to come to the their Super Day in Pittsburgh. They put me up in a hotel where the interviews took place. It started at 8 am and went until noon. There were 3 separate 15 minute interviews with older employees spaced out between the 4 hours. When you aren't interviewing you are hanging out with their younger employees.

Interview Questions
    • They typically just ask if you know whats going on in todays markets. What is the most important line of any financial statement when valuing a company.   Answer Question

Finance and Accounting Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PNC Financial Services Group in November 2013.

Very straight forward behavioral questions. PNC wants to understand who you are and be able to speak to everything on your resume. "Why should we hire you", "What was your least favorite class in College and why?" "What is your favorite non-major class and why?" They also held a pre interview reception which was great to get to know the person who will interview you.

Interview Questions
    • "What is your favorite non-major class and why?"   View Answer

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

interviewed at PNC Financial Services Group in November 2013.

Went through school career center, the first interview at school after a brief social the night before. It wasn't too difficult to get Invited to superday. Superday was in Pittsburgh and went through various interviews with different groups within the bank.

Finance & Accounting Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through my campus job website and wasn't expecting much since it was one of about fifteen companies I applied to. When I got the interview, I wasn't very interested. I just thought it was going to be another monotonous interview process with questions I had already heard countless times and fake recruiters just trying to win me over. I was pleasantly surprised when I walked into the interview center and began talking with one of the recruiters who genuinely seemed interested in the goals of me and a few other candidates. My interviewer was amazing! I didn't feel pressured at all and she fully explained the job requirements to me and answered any questions I did not know the answers to. The only technical thing she asked me was "What is the role of Finance in a corporation, in your opinion?" which she proceeded to clarify for me after I answered.

About a week later, I was informed that I was invited to attend the Super Day interview round in Pittsburgh. I was more than excited because after some research I realized that this was where they invited most of the interns that they were pretty sure about hiring. I went to the Super Day feeling very confident. The hotel they put us in was unreal! I really enjoyed getting to know the interns in my group and my group leader was very informative and made me feel like I would ace the 1:1 interview rounds that day. There were 3 interviews, each with a member of a different department within PNC. The questions they asked were more technical than I expected. The interviewers were very personable and were really just looking for personality traits and they were also willing to answer any and all questions I had. The interviews were also very short, about 15 minutes, so I had to think about my questions while they were speaking to me.

Interview Questions
    • "What would you do if you realized you gave a manager incorrect information for a presentation he is giving in 15 minutes? Walk me through your course of action."   View Answer
    There was an email stating that I got the internship and it listed the hourly pay and housing stipend. I had other offers pending, so I didn't accept right away. They continued to show their interest through emails and phone calls to make sure I had no further questions. I appreciated the personal approach with the phone calls and I felt that they really valued the time I took to interview with them.

Capital Markets Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PNC Financial Services Group in November 2013.

Well organized. The superday was earlier than other bank superdays. I had four 2-person interviews. Mostly behavioral questions with a couple market questions. Nothing too tough. Everyone was really friendly and helpful.

The overall process was very quick. Probably 2.5 weeks or so. I would highly recommend PNC as a place to work. Great pay and great people.

Interview Questions
    Interns get a set rate. I think capital markets received higher than other groups.

Technology Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at PNC Financial Services Group in October 2013.

I attended a campus career fair at the beginning of October as a current student, which led to round one of interviewing and me declining round two.

Upon submitting my resume to the PNC booth, they said they would contact me for the round of interviews the next day. I figured this was a canned response since other people that had spoken with the technology representative received that as well. However, they actually did get back to me by email at 6pm that night wanting to know by 8pm when the next day would be best for an on campus interview. I had work that night, but because I was checking my email then, I was able to respond in time.

The next day, I had an interview for after lunch and before my courses for the day began. Sat down with two of the recruiters from the technology department and they switched off between who was asking questions and taking notes. They were standard questions about why I wanted to go into technology in the financial sector, what technical experience I had, classroom experiences, etc. The interview lasted almost an hour. They said that the program only hired about a fourth of the people who go into it and that I would be hearing about round two of interviews in about two weeks.

Exactly a week after the career fair, I received an email stating that round two of interviews would start the next day! It was to be a networking session from 6pm to 8pm, then the entire day after (I think it was 7:30am to 4pm, but I could be mistaken) would be round two of interviews with the people actually in charge of the various sectors of the development program and would be much more technical than round one.

I called the recruiter who sent the email and declined due to scheduling conflicts as going to an interview for a program that only hires a forth of their employees was not worth finding transportation to Pittsburgh headquarters on such short notice. Apparently my interviewers had the wrong information and that the program actually hired 90% that join it, with the other 10% opting out of it due to not finding the right fit during the training. The discrepancy in information seemed to reflect that the departments have poor communication. The recruiter I called said they could try working something out for later in the week, but that by the next week, they already will have hired for the program and I would have to reapply for the next round in the spring. That would not work for me due to working alone and having no one to cover multiple shifts on such short notice, and it was midterm week, so professors would not be able to accommodate me missing exams on such short notice.

Overall, it seemed way too quick of a process to me. It could be that it was just my first professional interview, but having all this occur within the first week of contacting them was daunting, especially with being told two completely different pieces of key information about the program. My career counselor asked me about it when I met with him a month later, and he seemed surprised that they actually went through with giving me less than a day between giving them my resume and having round one.

My apologies for this being long winded, but I wanted to be detailed while I still remembered it.

Interview Questions
    • Give us an example of a project you have worked on and some of the difficulties you faced during that project.   Answer Question
    • What made you decide to apply for a job in financial technology?   Answer Question