PNC Financial Services Group

2 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer II Interview

Software Engineer II

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at PNC Financial Services Group.

Interview Details – I did two phone interviews, the first with a recruiter. The second was with the hiring mgr. it was very laid back. The third interview was an in person 6 panel. It too was not that difficult. A lot if basic interview questions.

Interview Question – One trait you do not like in a person.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I told them what I wanted and they accepted.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Software Engineer II Interview

Software Engineer II
Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PNC Financial Services Group in March 2013.

Interview Details – This position included a 3 month paid training on Cobol programming. It is the main technology tool that this position they will be using. They understand that cobol is old and no school teaches this anymore.
It was a 3 step interview. The first was a phone screening with the HR recruiter that reads you a set of questions from a list. The question revolves around you and your involvement in technology. HR is writing your answers down to pass on to the hiring manager. Questions like, "Why do you want to work at PNC and What does it take to be an engineer?"
The second part is another phone interview. This time it is with the hiring manager or director. The manager will tell you about herself and what her department and team does. Then it will be your turn to talk about yourself and the decisions you chose in life. The basic of the phone conversation is to gauge how you interact and socialize. As well as your background.
The Third interview is in person with multiple people at PNC campus in Philadelphia. you will be interview by the technology directer, technology manager, business tech manager, and lead software engineer. You will meet the HR recruiter and the COBOL trainer. Each person is roughly 30 minutes long interview with 10 minute break in between. They will ask you a series of Fit, HR, background, thought process, interaction, scenarios, and institutional questions. Nothing too technical, as they understand that some people do not have a technology background. They are looking for someone that will stay with them for a long period of time because they are investing in you with the training program.

Interview Question – All their questions were easy and straight forward to me. So I will list the questions they asked me, that I can remember.
Why do you want to work for PNC?
How do you prioritize tasks?
Are you detail oriented?
Are a logical person?
Why did you choose your major?
What interests you (major)?
Tell me about yourself?
How do you solve problems?
Tell me about your organizational skills.
  View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at PNC Financial Services Group

Worked for PNC Financial Services Group? Contribute to the Community!

PNC Financial Services Group Videos

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PNC Financial Services Group Software Engineer II interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by PNC Financial Services Group employees and interview candidates.