PRTM Management

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Waltham, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PRTM Management in March 2010.

Interview Details – Brief phone screen followed by a 1/2 day interview session at the Waltham office. Rotated with 3 others candidates speaking with 4 different partners. Went by really fast and the questions that they asked were very straight forward and the interviewers were very knowledgeable. As an experienced candidate I assumed that they did not bother with the trick questions and the case study type questions, they were more interested in my work experience and what I had accomplished. Very good experience interviewing with this group.

Interview Question – They asked about accomplishments and wanted them quantified.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They offered me a position but I declined - I decided the life of a consultant was not for me. The salary was good but similar to an industry position that provides a better work/life balance i.e. less travel.

Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at PRTM Management in March 2011.

Interview Details – brother's friend who worked there submitted my resume. Got an email the following day and set up a date/time for phone interview.

interviewed by a Director. no case interview questions as they state on their website. asked me to run through my resume, asked about the projects i was working on (employed for 1 1/2 yrs out of school), why i wanted to work in consulting and the firm. i had prepared answers for "challenging experience" and "leadership experience" that i wasn't asked about but was hoping to be asked.

the position was for a new type of position the director was developing, a hybrid consulting/finance analyst type. i wasn't aware of this and suspect this is why the interviewer asked me more questions about my wealth management (finance) internship in college than my current job in Supply Chain. I tripped up since I wasn't expecting to talk about my internship in detail as I felt it was not a substantial experience. found out within a few hours by email that I didn't get the postion.

interview was very straightforward, I just wasn't fully prepared.

Interview Question – asking about the details of my internship from 4 years ago rather than my current job   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PRTM Management in November 2010.

Interview Details – Was interview by 4 directors. The interview went well. I was the only current MBA contenting for the position. Others were all 5 + post MBA candidates. Though I tried my best and felt the interview was good, I was rejected ;(((

Interview Questions

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at PRTM Management in July 2010.

Interview Details – The initial communication began with an email about a phone interview with a director at the firm. Immediately after, an email was sent about a second round interview that took place a few weeks later. The final round of interviews consisted of 4 one-on-one interviews with Directors and Principals. Overall, the process was simple and straighforward. Everyone I interviewed with was extremely friendly and helpful.

Interview Question – The questions were typical behavioral questions that one could expect in an interview.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PRTM Management in October 2007.

Interview Details – After submitting my resume to their online website, I heard back not too long after from HR. Maybe a few weeks. I was extended a first round interview by phone with a Principle. You need to be prepared to talk about why you are leaving your old firm, why PRTM, and why you are a fit per the resume you submitted. It's all about fit and relevant experience. If you want to work at PRTM, you must show that you have operational experience and a real interest in the area. Operations pertaining to process improvement, supply chain, etc. Look at the website to look at PRTM's specialties.

After this, I heard back about a week or two later regarding final round interviews on-site. It was a half day process where I interviewed with four Directors back to back. I prepared a lot for this. Read all you can about the company, the Insight magazine it publishes, the people you'll be interviewing with, etc. Come up with relevant questions because every Director will give an opportunity at the end of the conversation to ask. The first two interviews really concentrated around my experience and resume. They asked very specific questions around how you handle issues, strengths, weaknesses, teamwork, and leadership. Specifically, they took one of my project experiences and told me how to handle a problem they came up with so be sure to know your background inside and out. Where they see operations experience is where they will ask you very detailed questions. In my third interview, I was asked some non-work questions. It was a bit random, was never asked such questions. For example, I was asked, "do you have any mentors and how did you acquire them?" I was asked why I want to work for PRTM and why I was leaving my old firm. By the fourth interview, the Director didn't bother to ask any questions. The two things I was asked was describe the role that I'm applying for and to spend the rest of the time asking any other questions.

I heard back with an offer about two weeks later by phone.

Overall, the Directors were extremely down-to-earth and laid back. They were the type of executives you would want to get to know better. The firm really cares about life-long commitment to improving the firm and hiring individuals who are dedicated to that goal. If you come from a consulting background, you'll also notice that PRTM is a very lean company. Some enterprise work will be handled by the consultants themselves. Very few people show up at the office. If they live close, they might. Even for company wide meetings not everyone joins even though it's mandatory. Though the company says they value a work-life balance they don't, so don't be fooled. You're going to work a lot of hours, have phone calls at 10PM, work weekends is expected, etc. Also, their idea of training is just "on the job." You don't learn about any kind of methodology the firm practices. Every Director has a different idea about how to run a project and come up with a solution. There is not a lot of standard procedure used. It's a bit of a mess. Also, if you're new, you'll need to really think about it. I think going to a larger firm and obtaining the right core training is better. This firm does an excellent job in giving consultants who are in their first few years in the industry a good opportunity to get involved in growing the company and preparing proposals for new work.

Interview Question – Unexpected question: Who is your mentor and how did you acquire them?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes I was able to negotiate. Be prepared to say why you deserve more. Perhaps writing out something to send to the company for review would be beneficial.

Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PRTM Management in November 2010.

Interview Details – I had one phone interview (phone screen, really) on Monday and another on Wednesday. The phone interviews are really just a place for the manager on the phone to talk about the company and get to know you and your background ("what kind of consulting experience do you have?", etc). Then I came into the office on a Friday for five 30-min interviews with partners. Questions were pretty basic, I mostly talked about my background and the interviewers described typical days on the job, project work, etc.

Interview Question – There were no business case problems--questions were very straightforward.   Answer Question

Consultant

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at PRTM Management in November 2009.

Interview Details – I was interviewed for a technical consultant position for one of PRTM's middle eastern clients.

Interview Question – walk me through your resume   Answer Question

Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PRTM Management in February 2009.

Interview Details – Hr came to me late in a job search, so I pressured them to expedite. Phone interview happened quickly and seemed very laid back and effortless. First in person interview threw me for a loop where the interviewer claimed they almost did not have me come in for a resume punctation mistake. I believe the intent was to see how I handled pressure. Final panel interview was more laid back like the phone interview.

Interview Question – Can you define the scor model?   Answer Question

Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at PRTM Management in November 2010.

Interview Details – Typical behavioral interview. First round was 1/2 hour. Second round was 1/2 day, with four interviews. The total from applying to decision was several months. They were not very flexible on available interview dates and had to wait longer until a date was available. Will allow people to work from any of the offices then travel to customers as needed. Very hands-on culture.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you convinced someone who disagreed with you.   View Answer

Consultant

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PRTM Management in October 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed for Consultant position

1st round: Behavioral on-campus interview with a Manager. Pretty straight-forward behavioral questions (i.e. describe a time when you led a team, etc.).

2nd round: On-site interview. Was one of four people interviewing that day, and the only undergraduate-level interviewee. Consisted of four back to back 1:1 interviews with directors/principals and took about 2.5 hours. Almost entirely behavioral with one business related question mixed in just to keep you on your toes. No cases. All questions were pretty straightforward and typical and most of the discussions were background-related (i.e. describe your work experiences on your resume).

I was called about 2 hours after my interview ended while still at the airport to let me know I would be receiving an offer. Official offer letter and details came a few days later.

Interview Question – If you were to meet with the CEO of your former company tomorrow, how would you tell him to improve the business.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – PRTM mainly hires at the graduate level, therefore there are very few people younger than about 30. This played an important role in my decision as I was coming straight out of undergrad. Base salary was highly competitive but the bonus structure is not as good as you would find at many competitors.

Interviews for Top Jobs at PRTM Management

Worked for PRTM Management? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PRTM Management Consultant interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by PRTM Management employees and interview candidates.