PRTM Management

Average Difficulty
30 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PRTM Management in October 2010.

Interview Details – There were 4 interviews with the four partners of the CRC group. They are looking for two things : if you are really interested in working for the firm, and if you can make partner. They are interested in candidates who have deep experience in the industry groups with the above said qualities.

Interview Question – how to deal with a client who is not interested in what you are trying to implement.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They low balled me initially but I was from a Non MBA program of a top school so they negotiated a market rate.

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at PRTM Management in July 2010.

Interview Details – The initial communication began with an email about a phone interview with a director at the firm. Immediately after, an email was sent about a second round interview that took place a few weeks later. The final round of interviews consisted of 4 one-on-one interviews with Directors and Principals. Overall, the process was simple and straighforward. Everyone I interviewed with was extremely friendly and helpful.

Interview Question – The questions were typical behavioral questions that one could expect in an interview.   Answer Question

Associate (A2) Interview

Associate (A2)
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at PRTM Management in November 2008.

Interview Details – Most of the questions were related to the resume... no case interview.

Interview Question – Why Consulting?   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PRTM Management in October 2007.

Interview Details – After submitting my resume to their online website, I heard back not too long after from HR. Maybe a few weeks. I was extended a first round interview by phone with a Principle. You need to be prepared to talk about why you are leaving your old firm, why PRTM, and why you are a fit per the resume you submitted. It's all about fit and relevant experience. If you want to work at PRTM, you must show that you have operational experience and a real interest in the area. Operations pertaining to process improvement, supply chain, etc. Look at the website to look at PRTM's specialties.

After this, I heard back about a week or two later regarding final round interviews on-site. It was a half day process where I interviewed with four Directors back to back. I prepared a lot for this. Read all you can about the company, the Insight magazine it publishes, the people you'll be interviewing with, etc. Come up with relevant questions because every Director will give an opportunity at the end of the conversation to ask. The first two interviews really concentrated around my experience and resume. They asked very specific questions around how you handle issues, strengths, weaknesses, teamwork, and leadership. Specifically, they took one of my project experiences and told me how to handle a problem they came up with so be sure to know your background inside and out. Where they see operations experience is where they will ask you very detailed questions. In my third interview, I was asked some non-work questions. It was a bit random, was never asked such questions. For example, I was asked, "do you have any mentors and how did you acquire them?" I was asked why I want to work for PRTM and why I was leaving my old firm. By the fourth interview, the Director didn't bother to ask any questions. The two things I was asked was describe the role that I'm applying for and to spend the rest of the time asking any other questions.

I heard back with an offer about two weeks later by phone.

Overall, the Directors were extremely down-to-earth and laid back. They were the type of executives you would want to get to know better. The firm really cares about life-long commitment to improving the firm and hiring individuals who are dedicated to that goal. If you come from a consulting background, you'll also notice that PRTM is a very lean company. Some enterprise work will be handled by the consultants themselves. Very few people show up at the office. If they live close, they might. Even for company wide meetings not everyone joins even though it's mandatory. Though the company says they value a work-life balance they don't, so don't be fooled. You're going to work a lot of hours, have phone calls at 10PM, work weekends is expected, etc. Also, their idea of training is just "on the job." You don't learn about any kind of methodology the firm practices. Every Director has a different idea about how to run a project and come up with a solution. There is not a lot of standard procedure used. It's a bit of a mess. Also, if you're new, you'll need to really think about it. I think going to a larger firm and obtaining the right core training is better. This firm does an excellent job in giving consultants who are in their first few years in the industry a good opportunity to get involved in growing the company and preparing proposals for new work.

Interview Question – Unexpected question: Who is your mentor and how did you acquire them?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes I was able to negotiate. Be prepared to say why you deserve more. Perhaps writing out something to send to the company for review would be beneficial.

Associate (A2) Interview

Associate (A2)

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PRTM Management in July 2011.

Interview Details – Initially received an email from HR for a 45min phone interview 4 weeks after submitting my application through career development office website. The call was set up 5 days later with a manager at PRTM's old Mountain View office who is in the same industry vertical that I was applying to. The interview was done in a very relaxed manner. No case questions. I was asked walk him through my resume where he occasionally stops me to dig deeper on the areas where he feels necessary to, and was given last 10min for my questions to PRTM. He liked to know the quantatative assessment of my past achievements and the processes surrounding them. The interview went over 45mins and ended with friendly laughs.

2 days later, got an email from HR to let me know the interviewer enjoyed the conversation with me and PRTM wants to move me onto the next step. A week from that, I was invited for a round of 1:1 interviews with directros/principals at Mountain View office. I was given the list of people that I will be interviewed with a few days before the interview which helped me prepare the tactics by each interviewer.

A round of interview consists of 4 interviews. Each interview was 35min with 10min interval between them. They invite about 10 interviewees for both morning around and afternoon around (which was my choice). Interview topic was a combination of resume walk through, most notable achievement (s), why PRTM. Again no case interview at all nor a pressure interview. Very laid back. One of the directors asked me to make a quick presentation about the most notable achievement on paper with sharpie in 15mins and asked lots of questions around that. I thought all the intervews went well and felt confident until I learned that I was actually late for the first interview and couldn't interview with 4th director....

4days later, I received a call from HR that they make an offer to me. The salary was much more than the average for management consultant for my business school (top 5) so didn't bother negotiating.

Interview Question – Please make a quick business case presentation about my most notable achievement. Use papers and sharpie here.   View Answer

Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PRTM Management in November 2010.

Interview Details – I had one phone interview (phone screen, really) on Monday and another on Wednesday. The phone interviews are really just a place for the manager on the phone to talk about the company and get to know you and your background ("what kind of consulting experience do you have?", etc). Then I came into the office on a Friday for five 30-min interviews with partners. Questions were pretty basic, I mostly talked about my background and the interviewers described typical days on the job, project work, etc.

Interview Question – There were no business case problems--questions were very straightforward.   Answer Question

Consultant

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at PRTM Management in November 2009.

Interview Details – I was interviewed for a technical consultant position for one of PRTM's middle eastern clients.

Interview Question – walk me through your resume   Answer Question

Associate

The process took 2 months - interviewed at PRTM Management in May 2011.

Interview Details – A headhunter contacted me in early March about PRTM. Even though I have seen them advertise a ton on job boards, I decided to work with the headhunter to get my resume in front of the "right" person. A few weeks later, after some email correspondence with HR, I had a phone interview with a Director (Partner). The interview was pretty basic (i.e. walk me through your resume, why PRTM, why did you leave so and so job, etc.). Most of the time was spent with me asking him questions about the firm.

After this initial conversation, it took about 5 weeks to be moved forward to the next round, which consisted of two face-to-face interviews in the office with one Associate and one Principal. I was surprised to learn of how case heavy the interviews were as there was little to no talk about my experience. About 15 minutes of the allotted 30 minutes was spent on a "case" while I was allowed to ask questions for the rest of the time.

A few days later I received word that the following week I would have another phone interview with a Director. This interview lasted about an hour with a mix of background questions (walk me through your resume, what are you looking to do in your next position, why PRTM, etc.) and a 15 minute case. A few days later I hear back from the headhunter. Basically, the firm wanted my 100% commitment to them BEFORE they would give me an offer. I was in the pipeline at a few different places and could not, in good faith, tell them that I was fully committed to them offer unseen. A few days later HR called to let me know that I was no longer being considered for the position because my "background did not fit their current needs".

Things to consider:
1) PRTM has a notoriously slow interview process with multiple (sometimes unnecessary) layers, so be prepared to be in the pipeline for months before really getting anywhere. If I had progressed past the 2nd phone interview, I would have had another round of multiple in-person interviews with Directors
2) The interviews are a lot more case-like than the firm and other people may lead you to believe. Have a pencil and paper ready and be prepared to discuss a business issue in detail
3) The firm seems to want "yes people"...people who are 100% committed to accepting their offer before they even offer. That says a lot about their culture
4) Just some food for thought: not sure how difficult this would be, but before working with a headhunter try to figure out what the relationship is between them and the firm you are interviewing with. I found that working with a headhunter who has a personal relationship with the hiring party makes the process a little more difficult since they may be holding back as far as really recommending you for the job if you do not show 100% commitment since they don't want to damage that relationship

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about the most exciting project you have worked on. What was your role and what did you learn and accomplish?   Answer Question

Associate

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PRTM Management in March 2011.

Interview Details – The initial phone interview was a straight forward tell me about your experience. The in office interview consisted of four 1:1 meetings with consultants. Interviews were fairly conversational, career - tell me about your experience, personal - what drives you to do what you do, lets see how you think - how would you approach this simple operational problem, etc.
Things to keep in mind:
-PRTM is does operations so be sure to highlight your operations experience
-be methodical in all you explanations
-if you come from a specialized industry its important you emphasize you can tackle other industries, this is especially important if you come from a non-management consulting role

Interview Question – What drives you?   Answer Question

Manager Consultant Interview

Manager Consultant
Moscow (Russia)

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at PRTM Management in January 2011.

Interview Details – HR are asked me to make social poll by phone and to know about 100 local companies which ISP they are using.

Interview Question – Find from yellow pages 100 local companies and call them to know which ISP they are using.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at PRTM Management