PSEG Interview Questions

Updated Feb 7, 2015
Updated Feb 7, 2015

2.9

Technical Summer Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at PSEG.

It was about 30 minutes, in the STAR format. I interviewed twice (I came back the following summer and had to re-interview.) There were no technical questions, there were about 4/5 behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • What was your biggest accomplishment?
      Tell us about a time you had a difficult co-worker. How did you handle it?

Answer Question
    No negotiation. Offer had to be accepted with ~4 days.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Though is no longer the same, there us a pc literacy test and an interview with a mast employee as well as a union rep.............. asked basic questions about what you offer and what you expect as an employee. All expectations of you are laid out at that time

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult at all   View Answer
    n/a

Project Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PSEG in October 2014.

Very troublesome. Was interviewed over the phone, and sent an automated email the next day saying I was rejected. Of course, they would call a week and a half later for me to drive up to North Jersey and pretend the previous email had never happened. When they cancelled on me the morning of, I told them I couldn't reschecule for a week and their reply was basically come in later this week or not at all. So I didn't. Don't work for them.

Interview Questions
    • I had to record a video interview in advance of being called in in person.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at PSEG.

I applied online and reached out to the recruiter via LinkedIn. A week later, I was screened by HR and given all the info. I had a phone interview with the hiring manager, and called back for an on site panel interview with 3 of the position's peers. I went back for a 2nd on site with the hiring manager and his VP.

Everyone I met was very nice and knowledgeable in their areas and what they needed from the position. The company had a comfortable atmosphere and seemed like a great place to work.

Contractor - Transmission Planning Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at PSEG in September 2014.

I had contacted the staffing agency via email. A 'Talent Acquisition Specialist' got back to me with more details, spoke to my references and set up an interview date. I was interviewed by 3 managers and breifly by the head of the division. The interview went quite well, the interviewers were quite understanding and encouraged me to take my time with the answers.

Interview Questions
    • PSEG's interview manual focuses on behavioral questions and the STAR format. But once the introductions were done with, I was immediately asked technical questions.   Answer Question
    • Explain the Newton Raphson method and how it is applied to power flow analysis.   Answer Question
    • What is the most severe type of fault, how do the various faults differ from an analysis point of view.   Answer Question

Call Center Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edison, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edison, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at PSEG in September 2014.

Step 1 hirevue online interview.
    1 month later I recieved an email asking for me to take an aptitude test to see if my intellectual prowess was sufficient for the job.

Step 2 The test was extremely hard ( I was for sure I had failed it) and was a timed test. Basically it was to see how well u could handle the actual job without having any training for it.
    After the test they either tell you they will be sending you an email regarding your job offer (which means you failed) or they tell u on the spot that u passed and to expect an email with instructions for the next step.

Step 3 I had an interview with two of the lead managers in my field of potential employment.
    The question were typically STAR format (recent on job accomplishments and situational experience) then they had me listen to a live PSE&G inbound call and asked me to critique the PSE&G rep on his performance. After that they told me I was very pleasant to interview and to expect to be contacted regarding the next step.

Step 4 CARCO background check. (This was the biggest pain in the butt)
    Beware if u don't have a paper trail of the things on your resume they will request every single thing and will report falsifying your resume if u can't prove everything.
    I had to fax CARCO 7 different supporting documents.

Step 5 Urinalysis. They test you at either the Audubon pseg.medical or the Newark pseg.medical facility.
    I had drank alot of water and my urine was clear so they made me retest under supervised conditions.

Step 6 A few weeks after I did everything I got an email with my start date.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when u went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question
    For my job it was a set start rate of 15.60 per hour

Intern Interview

typical STAR format, wanted to see how you would think through different problem solving exercises, also went through resume and talked about previous job experience, typical "biggest challenge", "how do you work in a team" questions were asked as well

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Use the STAR method. Situation or Task - Action you took - Results you achieved. http://careerservices.wayne.edu/behavioralinterviewinfo.pdfl. Describe the situation that you were in or the task that you needed to accomplish. You must describe a specific event or situation, not a generalized description of what you have done in the past.

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at PSEG.

The interview process was a three part process an initial phone interview by the hiring manager, a 2nd panel interview with several people including someone from HR, and a 3rd interview with the hiring manager and the CIO. This process was probably an 8-10 week process from the original submission of a resume.

Give yourself some extra time for the onsite interviews. They go through a security screening process similar to what is done at the airports but a lot slower...

Interview Questions
    • Standard Behavioral interview questions as previous reviewers mentioned.   Answer Question

PSEG Services Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at PSEG.

Interview process includes getting in front of a panel of three for an hour; primarily answering behavioral questions. Only a half an hour with the hiring manager. Considering that interact with my manager much more than any of the panel members, I was confused as to why I only got a half an hour with him.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected that I'd have to take a behavioral and skill based test after I was interviewed by 5-6 people. Seemed like a waste of time for everyone.   Answer Question

Interview process was bizarre giving me an uneasy feeling about the company