PTC

PTC Interview Questions

Updated Dec 13, 2014
Updated Dec 13, 2014

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at PTC.

I started with a phone interview which was pretty straight forward - they dug further into my resume just like any other phone interview. They invited me out to MN to do inperson interview and it was much more challenging with the behavioral questions. Be outgoing, ask a lot of questions, and be likeable. They are selective.

Interview Questions
    • Give me a time in which group members were not performing at an acceptable standard and what did you do about it?   Answer Question

They didn't offer me enough money.

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Invitation to a technical interview. You are asked to write some code to solve a problem. to evaluate your technical merits somewhat more objectively. The code would be written in Java 1.6 using the Eclipse IDE.

Senior Software Engineer At ThingWorx Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Exton, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Exton, PA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PTC in August 2014.

Phone screen setup by HR with hiring manager, then in-person with hiring manager and engineers. Phone screen was great, but I don't know what happened with the in-person interview. Maybe they already found someone to fill the position, but they just didn't seem interested from the start. I was supposed to talk to 2 or 3 people but only spoke to the hiring manager again shortly and the lead engineer I believe. I got the impression he was too busy for this. His questions were tough but overly nitpicky (imo), mostly on java threading, synchronization, dependency injection, testing. I was told they would let me know in a few days but they actually never got back to me at all.

Interview Questions
    • What ways are there to do java synchronization.   View Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at PTC.

You will have to meet 7-8 people. Don't be a wall-flower, they are fans of Sirius Decisions so its helpful to know these guys.

Senior Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Needham, MA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at PTC in March 2014.

Had a 30 minutes phone screen with company recruiter.
    Had another 30 minute phone screen with Operations Manager and Division Manager with mostly questions on behavior and technical knowledge. After this call I felt that I didn't have the technical background they were looking for.
    They setup an in-person interview which was with 4 different managers of that division and product. Started off questions on behavior then moved into somewhat difficult technical questions mostly focusing on Java. I had said in previous phone screens that I hadn't had a lot of experience with Java which became apparent during their questioning. I got an email the next week saying I did not get the job due to my lack of technical knowledge of which I was not surprised.

Interview Questions
    • They asked fairly in depth questions on Java including stack trace debugging and explanation of the initial Java statement (static void main class)   Answer Question

Digital Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Needham, MA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at PTC in March 2014.

My first communication with the organization was through LinkedIn; it's where I submitted my resume and made first contact with the company. The follow-up was quick, the HR manager reached out to me within a couple hours to set up an initial phone conversation. After that call, I was connected with three additional team members in succession before visiting the company campus for an in-person conversation with the whole team and the department's manager.

I ended up withdrawing my application after accepting an offer elsewhere, but I felt that the PTC hiring process was thorough and fair.

Interview Questions
    • It sounds like a cliche, but this interview was the first time I was asked "where do you expect to be in five years". It was a question I hadn't prepared, since I anticipated questions focused almost entirely on the responsibilities of the role.   View Answer

Senior Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blaine, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blaine, MN

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at PTC in January 2014.

It was a prolonged interview process with multiple rounds. I, actually had an other offer , so did it brought more confidence in myself to take this interview. First, was ofcourse the screening round with the recruiter (this is not round one).
    Round 1 : the telephonic round with the interviewer. Basic questions on your skills. But make sure you are above your interviewer's expectations. The answers should nail him before he asks the next question.
    Round 2 & 3 : in-person interview with the development managers and other leads.
    It was solid 1 hr where each team's managers try to bring out the most tricky questions.
    But it was a great experience for me as i have never did in-person interviews in the US.
    Questions were great and not silly. They want to make sure if you can handle any sort of situation professionally. Technical questions were little tough, but tried to manage.
    Round 4 : Final will be with director. This was like a discussion and not an interview. I always wanted to get a chance to meet the big guys in the project. So i tried to make it a bit straight. This was not a q&a session, rather, a discussion to make sure if you are suitable for the role.

I did a lot homework both with the company and my roles before i entered the final round.
    During 2 & 3 i was a bit nervous as i was new to the scene, but i googled a lot stuff about the project to make sure i have something to talk in 4.

I'd say it was worth giving the try, as i started focusing on my interview-mistakes recently. Finally, i believe i made it and signed the offer letter.

It was, ofcourse one of the best rounds of interviews i ever had. They kept me engaged in every question and did not ask me the same thing repeatedly.

Its just couple weeks you get to join them incase you are not in H1/L1 visas.

Interview Questions
    • They might orally ask you the biggest achievement you ever did.   View Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at PTC.

My first interview was a phone call that lasted about half an hour. It was extremely casual and laid back. For my second interview, they flew me out to Minnesota to interview with two people. They were extremely nice and asked me mostly behavioral questions (tell me a time in your life, etc.) Overall, the entire process was probably about a month.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were unprepared for something.   Answer Question
    No negotiation phase.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at PTC.

Was contacted by hiring manager after seeing my resume on Indeed. Had 2 phone interviews, One with hiring manager and one with a low level manager in the Inside Sales Department. They went very well and I learned very quickly they wanted me to come in for a in person interview.
    Went to interview and it went well. Said they were hiring 1-2 people and interviewing around 12. Did not get a call back. Process seemed long. If I had gotten a call back would have had to go through 3-4 more rounds of in person interviews moving up the ladder each time.

Had to follow up with hiring manager a couple times to find out and he did not have any feedback for me. Seems like a great company to work for.

Interview Questions
    • everything was standard. In the interview talked about myself and experiences. The managers were young, maybe in their late 20s and seems like good guys.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at PTC in May 2013.

I was contacted by a PTC recruiter via LinkedIn. I interviewed with the recruiter, followed by a phone interview with a Product Manager Director. I then had 4 face-to-face interviews with 2 SW Dev directors, and 1 QA team, and 1 development team. I was asked questions about how I would write specs, manage releases, and a lot about UI design. I was also asked to provide SQL queries for a given schema to get some desired results. All of the questions I answered well. I found the team very agreeable and capable from my questions.

Interview Questions
    • Sample query question:

Design two database tables, part and equipment, where multiple parts can be installed on one piece of equipment, and several pieces of equipment may use the same part. Write an example query to find how many pieces of equipment use a given part.

View Answer