Pacific Gas and Electric

Updated Dec 15, 2014

2.9

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric in August 2013.

Very profesional recruiting process & interview process. They told me they did not have internal candidates but I think they did end up giving the job to an internal - but I am not 100% sure.

Interview Questions
    • You're a finalist why should I hire you?   View Answer
    • Tell me about a time when you had to work with a difficult manager who was yelling at you & didn't take your advice or listen & was agitated & angry. What did you do?   View Answer

Director's Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric in August 2013.

- Very organized
    - Short last 30 minutes
    - Focused on situation and results
    - Panel Style Interview
    - Did not deviate from standard interview questions
    - No personal anecdotes or "getting to know" each other during the interview, very technical.

Interview Questions
    • - Technical questions regarding enterprise software functionality   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate. But I should have.

Utility Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric in June 2013.

only 1 interview, very basic questions. when you had to make a hard decision, when you disagreed with someone, safety ect

no negotiations, union position

Nuclear Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Avila Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Avila Beach, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric in June 2013.

Applied online but a contact pushed my application quicker because they desired engineering majors. Afterwards I had to take a standardized test (POSS) which was really easy. Topics covered include really basic physics, math, reading, writing, logic. After that there was a panel interview with 3 different managers they seemed to be in charge of different things.

Interview Questions
    • Interviews using STAR method but wasn't too bad. One physics questions, one about explaining how the nuclear plant produces power, and the rest were about situations. For example, why are you a good candidate and a time you worked with hazardous materials. Time you focused on safety over efficiency, group work, disagreements where you had to convince somebody, self improvement.   View Answer

Computer Client Support Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric in June 2013.

During the process of being on boarded with PG&E there was constant communication. Also there was a great training session to get prepared for working for my department. The individuals who performed my interview were professional and even allowed time to think about the answers without dismissing me for taking my time.

Interview Questions
    • The hardest question was regarding what to do if someone is having issues with their desk phone. Having never worked in a technology environment i was unaware of a Telecommunications team.   View Answer

Technical Support Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric in May 2013.

Applied online a couple of weeks earlier near end of the application deadline. Waited 6 weeks to hear back from them. Finally got a phone call and had a quick phone interview that I did for practice, but had already accepted another position.

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric.

Applied on-line.
    Received a message on my phone from the HR Recruiter asking to set up an interview the following week. I called her back later that day, had to leave a message. Three days later I still had not received a call back, so I called her again. No answer so I left another message.
    The recruiter never called back. Horrible first impression of this company! If they can treat applicants so horribly I shudder to think how they treat their employees. Super rude and inconsiderate. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric in April 2013.

Initially you will be contacted by an HR person who will ask you some basic preliminary questions regarding your background/resume. Nothing out of the ordinary, standard stuff that you'll be asked during any job interview. The HR person will then relay their discussion with you over to the hiring manager for that position, typically it will be your manager/supervisor. Then you'll have another phone call with your manager and they will give you an idea of what the position is like. They may ask you some clarifying details about your background/resume. Once again it's nothing too extreme and it will be relevant to your position. Afterwards you may get another phone call interview with some of the colleagues you'll be working with, this will vary with your group. If you pass you'll then be invited to a face to face interview at PG&E in the city. The interview will consist of four group interviews (5 if you count the lunch) with a couple different people that you may work with, each session lasts about 30-45 minutes. They'll ask you about your background, experience, hobbies to get an idea of how you'll fit in. They will ask you how you react to different situations like work obstacles, career letdowns, achievements, key project milestones, etc. They'll want to use STAR style responses (Situation, Task, Action, Result). Each group will have a couple basic questions that they will all ask you and then they'll go with their scripted questions which are for various areas. There's alot of questions for each section but the interviewers will just pick and choose questions. None of the questions were too scary, it's just an endurance test really.

Interview Questions
    • What is the CAISO? How does PG&E make money?   View Answer
    • What is your project management process? Discuss some of the big projects and obstacles that you have overcome.   View Answer
    They would not negotiate on the salary but looking online it seems like I compensated fairly. I was able to get negotiate for a sign on bonus.

Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Carlos, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Carlos, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric in April 2013.

From the several engineering interviews I've had with PG&E, they were all rather similar. You'll receive a call from HR who will ask of your availability and provide very general information regarding the position. You'll then schedule the interview with the hiring supervisor and possibly other senior level people in that same group. The questions are already prepared by HR which means that the interviewers will ask you questions based on what is in the packet of interview questions. Follow the STAR interview process. Half are behavioral and the other half may be technical. KNOW YOUR RESUME and PG&E's values and goals.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you failed at something and how did you resolve the issue   Answer Question

IT Systems Administrator, Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfield, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfield, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric in April 2013.

College recruiter contacted me for an initial background interview. There was an online interview which you record your answers. After a day or two later, the recruiter notified me that my current supervisor wanted to speak with me, so he called me for a brief "get to know you" interview and what the job entailed. I was invited to an on site interview with my current supervisor a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you had to deal with a difficult individual and how you went about resolving the problem?   View Answer
    Didn't negotiate because I was a college hire and the salary I was going to receive, plus my signing bonus was too good to turn down.