Pacific Gas and Electric Interview Questions

2.9

IT Systems Administrator, Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fairfield, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfield, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric in April 2013.

College recruiter contacted me for an initial background interview. There was an online interview which you record your answers. After a day or two later, the recruiter notified me that my current supervisor wanted to speak with me, so he called me for a brief "get to know you" interview and what the job entailed. I was invited to an on site interview with my current supervisor a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you had to deal with a difficult individual and how you went about resolving the problem?   View Answer
    Didn't negotiate because I was a college hire and the salary I was going to receive, plus my signing bonus was too good to turn down.

Computer Systems Analyst Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric.

Phone interview wasn't as technical as i though. More behavioral type questions

Market Risk Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric.

The interviewer asked a lot of behavioral questions, and no technical questions. Such as brief introduction, how well you know the company, and one or two questions about the experience, and finally asking for your questions about the company. The whole process didn't go very well, since I mainly prepared for the technical questions.

Business Finance Analyst, Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric in March 2013.

Initial phone interview with a manger of the division. Just a few questions about background and what I knew about PG&E. The call was unscheduled so it was a little difficult answering questions, but not knowing for sure which position we were talking about.

I got an email setting up a super day of interviewing. Went from 9 am to 1pm. I have 4 interviews back to back, followed by an Excel proficiency test. For the most part everyone seemed nice enough, some were a little abrasive but I believe that was just part of the interview process.

Interview Questions

Leaving the interview I felt horrible. I thought I had screwed everything up. A few days later when I was informed of my job I was very surprised. The offer was more than competitive with anything else coming my way. It was a tough decision but I ended up going with another offer. While the building was very impressive, I felt it was lacking a certain personal element. While I cant say I was treated with disrespect, I ended up choosing another offer because of better hospitality.

Gas Control Operator Interview

HR department review your application & your experience, but before you summit your application. You must take the PG&E pre-employment test first; otherwise, your application will be in the trash can. After they verify your application, the department head will call you to conduct a technical interview over the phone & be prepare that it'll take up 30 minutes. Within one week, HR call you to schedule a in-person interview (STAR)

Interview Questions
    • What are you going to do if someone approach you that you work too fast & slow down?   Answer Question

Entry Level Rotational Program - Gas Operations Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric.

The actual interview wasn't all that bad. It was a web-cam interview with two engineers from the San Francisco facility. Typical behavioral questions, asked about past experiences, etc. They require the STAR method for answering questions. I was told that I would hear back within 3 weeks either with a Yes or No. 3 weeks rolled around and no response, so I called my contact. His message said he was out of office and gave a number for a contact while he was away. I left them both messages. 5 weeks rolls around and still no response so I call them both again and leave messages. I get a call a week later and am told that my contact had left the company within the past month and that I had gotten lost in translation and all the positions had been filled. The person who contacted me told me to send her my resume via email and she would see if there were any positions open. I do this and don't hear back for over 2 weeks so I send another email. Still haven't heard back and it has been 3 months. Morale of the story, terrible communication and obviously don't care about applicants.

Interview Questions
    • I had never used the STAR method before so it was weird getting used to answering questions in such a structured manner.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric.

Contacted by a recruiter, then a phone interview by hiring manager, normal behavioral and situational questions during 30 minute phone call. No questions were difficult, straight forward and standard. 2 wks later, contacted by recruiter, setup for a 4 hour interview sessions. Included 4 45 minute 1 on 1 interviews. First it was supposed to be the director, but they sent in a jr. analyst. then a Sr. Analyst, the hiring manager followed by a supervisor. All started with normal SMART Questions, then into more experienced based questions relating it to given examples of job requirements.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult issue was the timed 40 minute excel test at the end. only completed 2 of 8 tabs. these included, formulas, pivot table manipulation, and macros. really made me evaluate my excel skills   Answer Question

IT Applications Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric.

Contract to hire opening. Interview was held in the lobby instead of an office and was very informal. I had to ask most of the questions as the interviewer was not prepared. The interviewer seemed frustrated with the company bureaucracy and was not able to clearly explain the day to day duties of the position.

IT Systems Administrator Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric.

Two preliminary interviews before the in-person interview. The first is an online, record your answer to a pre-recorded 5 question questionnaire. You are given a minute to hear the prompt, then up to 2 minutes to record your response. Expect typical interview questions and know about the company to get through this part of the screening process. They ask what you know about the company, why do you want to work here, detail a project you led, etc.

Next, hr will call to setup an interview with your prospective department. Don't expect to be called quickly; communication is slow throughout the whole process. Give them a month to get back to you after each interview.

Be prepared to discuss the position, the department interested in interviewing you, and ask a lot of questions in the phone interview. Use a bluetooth headset and have your resume in hand. If something is not entirely clear, don't be afraid to ask him or her to repeat something. The phone interviewer will go over your resume with you, so as always, relate your experiences with the position and be prepared to discuss projects and work experience. Take it easy, and you'll make it through this part of the screening process. The employer is gauging your relevant experiences, and seeing if you'd be someone he or she can work with.

Assuming the phone interview went well, you will proceed with the in-person interview. Dress ready to work, a suit is not needed or recommended. You will get a tour, then sit down to discuss the job. Pay attention, eye contact, and ask questions to clarify things. This took about 1 1/2 hour - 2 hours. Be aware that pg&e is a monopoly, regulated by the CPUC. There are several articles on the web pointing to an aging workforce, close to half approaching retirement. They are looking to retain employees for the future.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions, just be prepared to discuss the job. This is a standard interview, have an answer to standard interview questions about yourself, the job, the company.   Answer Question

Principal IT Architect Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric.

Initial Phone Interview. Invited to Face2Face to meet with 3 employees. consultant , Manager & Director

Interview Questions
    • Many Situational Questions. Such as How would you deal with Suppliers & drive them to your timelines   Answer Question