Pacific Gas and Electric Senior Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Jun 19, 2014

3.2

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric in April 2013.

Initially you will be contacted by an HR person who will ask you some basic preliminary questions regarding your background/resume. Nothing out of the ordinary, standard stuff that you'll be asked during any job interview. The HR person will then relay their discussion with you over to the hiring manager for that position, typically it will be your manager/supervisor. Then you'll have another phone call with your manager and they will give you an idea of what the position is like. They may ask you some clarifying details about your background/resume. Once again it's nothing too extreme and it will be relevant to your position. Afterwards you may get another phone call interview with some of the colleagues you'll be working with, this will vary with your group. If you pass you'll then be invited to a face to face interview at PG&E in the city. The interview will consist of four group interviews (5 if you count the lunch) with a couple different people that you may work with, each session lasts about 30-45 minutes. They'll ask you about your background, experience, hobbies to get an idea of how you'll fit in. They will ask you how you react to different situations like work obstacles, career letdowns, achievements, key project milestones, etc. They'll want to use STAR style responses (Situation, Task, Action, Result). Each group will have a couple basic questions that they will all ask you and then they'll go with their scripted questions which are for various areas. There's alot of questions for each section but the interviewers will just pick and choose questions. None of the questions were too scary, it's just an endurance test really.

Interview Questions
  • What is the CAISO? How does PG&E make money?   View Answer
  • What is your project management process? Discuss some of the big projects and obstacles that you have overcome.   View Answer
They would not negotiate on the salary but looking online it seems like I compensated fairly. I was able to get negotiate for a sign on bonus.

Other Interview Reviews for Pacific Gas and Electric

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric in March 2013.

It can be prescriptive so bear with the interviewer. PG&E uses the STAR - Situation, Task, Result, Action to rate answers to questions so be sure you are familiar with that.

Interview Questions
    Better negotiate well when entering the company as pay raises are constrained y what you already make

Senior Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric.

Contacted by a recruiter, then a phone interview by hiring manager, normal behavioral and situational questions during 30 minute phone call. No questions were difficult, straight forward and standard. 2 wks later, contacted by recruiter, setup for a 4 hour interview sessions. Included 4 45 minute 1 on 1 interviews. First it was supposed to be the director, but they sent in a jr. analyst. then a Sr. Analyst, the hiring manager followed by a supervisor. All started with normal SMART Questions, then into more experienced based questions relating it to given examples of job requirements.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult issue was the timed 40 minute excel test at the end. only completed 2 of 8 tabs. these included, formulas, pivot table manipulation, and macros. really made me evaluate my excel skills   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric in March 2010.

I got to the 3rd round (with the hiring manager) and was not given an offer. The interview was 90% behavioral questions, asking you about your communication skills, conflict resolution skills, analytical skills, etc. They asked you to answer using the STAR (Situation, Task, Action and Resolution) format. It was very structured and professional.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric in September 2010.

I received a call on a Tuesday & was interviewed on the following Thursday. PG&E uses the STAR inteview process, where you describe results of a situation. Actually easier than usual interview questions. The interviewer actualll called me within a week to give me feedback. I did well except for I did not give good information re: the company culture. I was interviewed by 2 people. Both very professional and made me feel at ease. I liked the atmosphere in the office & I really wanted the job however I was advised that they hired internally. Make sure you do your homework on the company.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric in July 2009.

The interview process consisted of a phone screen interview from HR and a subsequent 2.5 hour interview with one individual performing the same job function as myself, another individual reporting to the same boss performing a different job function and another individual who was mirrored a position that I would be providing support to. I had a subsequent follow-up call for 10-15 minutes the next day to address an outstanding question.

Interview Questions

Worked for Pacific Gas and Electric? Contribute to the Community!