Pacific Life

Getting the Interview

18 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

New Business Temp Interview

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Pacific Life.

Interview Details – It was easy. You'll need to have some experience in an office setting and act like you really want the job!

Interview Question – None; the questions were basic interview questions.   Answer Question

Actuarial Internship Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Pacific Life in December 2013.

Interview Details – first a phone interview for about half an hour with an actuarial HR person. She was nice and straightforward, the questions she asked in phone interview were pretty standard behavior questions. After about a week I was notified for an Web interview. It was a panel interview with that same HR person and a team of 5-6 actuaries, and 5 other candidates. It was kind of intimidating because you can hear every answer other candidates provide. The web interview went on for an hour and a half. Sadly I didn't receive an offer.

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you took the initiative and took what was originally expected of you into a better level in a technical situation.   Answer Question

Actuarial Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Pacific Life.

Interview Details – The phone interview had basic HR questions such as educational experience, work history, strengths and weaknesses, etc. There were some specific questions about the position such as my proficiency level with Microsoft Excel, and if I knew features such as VLOOKUP and Pivot Tables.
The final interview was done via webcam with 6 or 7 other candidates and a group of actuaries on the other side. Questions were asked and then all the candidates took turns to answer. The questions were not too unexpected. They were mostly about our work and educational experiences that make us suitable for an actuarial position. Some were typical HR questions about group work, leadership potential, achievement we were most proud of, etc.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult or unexpected   Answer Question

Summer Actuarial Internship Interview

Huntington Beach, CA

I interviewed at Pacific Life in December 2013.

Interview Details – First I had a phone interview consisting of basic behavioral questions. Then I had a group GoToMeeting Interview online. It was me and six other candidates and 8 actuaries from pacific life. Went around in a circle asking the same 8 questions to all of us. Took about 1.5 hours and the questions were all behavioral.

Interview Question – What type of programming skills do you have?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Information Technology Department Interview

Newport Beach, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Pacific Life in September 2013.

Interview Details – A recruiter called me and told me about a job at pacific life. At first I was hesitant, but I went ahead and had myself submitted to the position. The reason I state that i was hesitant because I had dealt with Pacific Life a few years ago. They are very slow in any type of process. Anyway, I was able to get a phone screen interview and I thought that went well. HR was the initial phone screen. Then I had another phone screen with the IT team. So it seems that went well also. I got asked to come in for an interview. I obliged and had to meet with HR coordinator, the IT Team, and the hiring manager. I met with HR first. She asked me the same exact questions she had asked during our phone screen. I thought that was just a total waste of time. I didn't see the value in it at all. Then I met with the team. They seemed great but didn't really ask me anything difficult at all. So that could have meant one of two things. Either they've already made up their mind to hire me or they're just going through the motions and they're not really interested. But they were nice and friendly. Then I met with the hiring manager. Okay I am not sure if the manager's day was going well because he really didn't seem that he wanted to talk to anyone that day. He was slouching in his chair, answering his phone, looking at his computer screen, flagging co-workers that are walking past his office to come in, and pretty much didn't give me time. My initial thoughts were to just get up and walk away, but I am a professional. I have to say that this is a first time for me where a hiring manager acts like he did. Later on after I left I had to pay $12.00 for parking. What a complete waste of someone's time? I didn't get any offers from them. However, I wanted to get feedback on my interview and they totally ignored me. They call themselves professionals but yet I get treated unprofessionally by the hiring manager. You know if you are not interested in interviewing me then have the courtesy of at least behaving like a professional. HR is a waste. They have no idea about the job or expectations. They are just fillers for some process that seems to take forever to get through. If I had to do this over again, I wouldn't even consider them.

Interview Question – None of the questions were difficult or unexpected. I don't think they knew how to interview a person.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interviewed at Pacific Life

Interview Details – I got a phone call from the recruiting coordinator 2 weeks after my submission to schedule a 30 minutes phone interview. After the phone interview there was a webcam interview with a panel of actuaries in Dec. The questions were general behavioral questions during the 30 minutes phone interview, nothing unexpected.

Coordinator Interview

Newport Beach, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Pacific Life in May 2009.

Interview Details – They called me after finding my resume on Monster.com. Started with a phone interview and reviewed my resume. After a couple of days they called me in for an in person interview which included one HR employee, the person who would be my supervisor and his supervisor. Interview went well and my boss ended up telling me it came down to me and one other person but they chose me because of the follow up letter I wrote thanking them for the interview and telling them how much I looked forward to the opportunity to work with them.

Interview Question – Had I had any past bad experiences with my manager.   View Answer

Paralegal Interview

Newport Beach, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Pacific Life in December 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online. Had a phone interview and then half day of in person interviews. Met with everyone on the team (approx. 10 people) in individual interviews.

Interview Question – Standard interview questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered a salary, I countered. They couldnt meet my salary requirement but offered a signing bonus.

Director Financial Analytics Interview

Aliso Viejo, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Pacific Life in October 2012.

Interview Details – This position has been posted for well over a year. Applied and was contacted by HR for a phone interview. It was obvious that the hiring manager hadn't conveyed his requirements or goals for the opportunity as the representative couldn't provide many details. Received a follow up call to speak with the hiring manager in a couple weeks via telephone. It was a waste of time. The conversation began with the hiring manager stating that he wasn't interested in me for the role but might consider me for something else if it opens. He's suggestions were not in line with my background nor interest. We shot the breeze for 20 minutes or so before he opened the call to questions from me. Dreading the 20 minutes that I had wasted thus far I said no and hung up. Not sure if the company as a whole is like him or he's just a poor representation of what I would expect

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Sales and Marketing Operations Interview

Aliso Viejo, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Pacific Life in February 2012.

Interview Details – Interview process was too long and took several months. It involved two phone interviews, and 5 in-person interviews. The resulting position wasn't that great to necessitate such a long process. The position and job duties promised in the interview was completely different than the position I was actually hired for. It was almost a bait and switch, for another position.

Interview Question – Describe a business problem you have solved in a previous project and how you approached and solved it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was given an offer that was below my asking price. Then, given an explanation for the low offer. Don't expect an offer at or above your asking price. They will always stay within metrics, and will not negotiate with you.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Pacific Life? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pacific Life interview questions and advice. All 18 interview reviews posted anonymously by Pacific Life employees and interview candidates.