Pacific Life

Updated Dec 3, 2014
Updated Dec 3, 2014

2.6

Actuarial Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Pacific Life in October 2014.

I applied online and was contacted for an interview about two weeks later. The first interview was very easy. Just stuff like "why do you want to be an actuary", "do you have experience with excel, C++, etc.". Then they tell you about the job and you'll hear from them in about a week or two if you get past the first one. The second one is ten questions long and you'll be interviewed by a panel of about 10 actuaries along with 5 or so other candidates. They mainly ask basic behavioral questions, but at the end they open it up to the actuaries to ask any additional questions they want (don't worry they'll just ask any additional questions they have about your answers). Then a little over a week later they called me and told me I got the job and after they run a background check on you they'll send out a packet of paperwork to fill out.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you didn't have a piece of information and what you did to get that information   View Answer
    • This was a three part question:
      1.) What is your proficiency level with excel?
      2.) What other programming languages do you know?
      3.) What are the biggest programming projects you have worked on?

View Answer

Analyst Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pacific Life.

Typical phone screening by HR then pass-off to hiring manager.

I did not seek out this opportunity, but was approached. I'm in a stable, albeit modest, but happy situation already, so for me to make a change, a potential employer needs to court me. This was a bad date.

Most questions were about compensation and very few questions about what I bring to the table. In retrospect, I realize the recruiter had already decided to pass. Yet, (s)he asked a plethora of intrusive questions about my compensation history and personal finances. Vibe was mildly antagonistic, even.

It's unfortunate because I brought a unique skill set and would have far exceeded their expectations on the project. They never learned this, because those questions were never asked.

Inforce Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Pacific Life.

It was easy. Just went over a few questions you can find by googling behavioral questions. The process was real fast for me. The HR lady and I had some common interested so it helped speed the process up. The HR staff at PL are really friend easy going people. The overall culture at PL is about having a good work life balance for their employees.

Interview Questions
    • If you are a personable person you will be find. You know stuff in terms of your resume and be a critical thinker too.   Answer Question

Regional Service Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aliso Viejo, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Pacific Life.

I interviewed over the phone. Overall it was a negative experience. The interviewer only asked a few questions and, in my opinion, didn't gather near enough information to determine if I'd potentially be a good fit for the position. When the time came for me to ask questions, the responses were very short and direct. The interviewer lacked professionalism and was borderline rude.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your greatest success in your previous position?   Answer Question

Actuary Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Pacific Life.

The interview was very straightforward. The person asked questions about your resumes and qualifications. If selected to the final round, there will be a panel of people who interview you through skype. Most of questions are behaviour-based.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult for me was to explain the projects to them in the simplest terms. There was no unexpected questions, so knowing your stuff and keeping them short and straight to the questions was required.   Answer Question

New Business Temp Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Pacific Life.

It was easy. You'll need to have some experience in an office setting and act like you really want the job!

Actuarial Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Pacific Life.

The phone interview had basic HR questions such as educational experience, work history, strengths and weaknesses, etc. There were some specific questions about the position such as my proficiency level with Microsoft Excel, and if I knew features such as VLOOKUP and Pivot Tables.
    The final interview was done via webcam with 6 or 7 other candidates and a group of actuaries on the other side. Questions were asked and then all the candidates took turns to answer. The questions were not too unexpected. They were mostly about our work and educational experiences that make us suitable for an actuarial position. Some were typical HR questions about group work, leadership potential, achievement we were most proud of, etc.

Actuarial Internship Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Pacific Life in December 2013.

first a phone interview for about half an hour with an actuarial HR person. She was nice and straightforward, the questions she asked in phone interview were pretty standard behavior questions. After about a week I was notified for an Web interview. It was a panel interview with that same HR person and a team of 5-6 actuaries, and 5 other candidates. It was kind of intimidating because you can hear every answer other candidates provide. The web interview went on for an hour and a half. Sadly I didn't receive an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you took the initiative and took what was originally expected of you into a better level in a technical situation.   Answer Question

Summer Actuarial Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington Beach, CA

interviewed at Pacific Life in December 2013.

First I had a phone interview consisting of basic behavioral questions. Then I had a group GoToMeeting Interview online. It was me and six other candidates and 8 actuaries from pacific life. Went around in a circle asking the same 8 questions to all of us. Took about 1.5 hours and the questions were all behavioral.

Actuarial Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pacific Life in November 2013.

First round phone interview conducted by HR. Very standard questions. Nothing unexpected.
    Second round GROUP ONLINE interview. Very awkward to me. They asked the same questions to every candidate, and the candidates took turns to answer. If you are the last one to answer, then probably your answer has already been said by someone. You gotta prepare a few different answers for those common behavioral questions.