Pacific Life Interview Questions

Updated Aug 10, 2015

2.6

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pacific Life.

Interview

HR phone screening, in-person interview with hiring manager, and in-person interview with 5 different people across various roles. Very basic behavioral and situational interview questions (i.e. Tell me about this, tell about a time when...). In my last interview, the interviewer (a managing director) asked about my age then proceeded to blatantly harass me about my former employer being "a bunch of Wall Street convicts and thieves". It was grossly unprofessional and an embarrassment to be in the same room as this man.

Interview Questions

Pacific Life Response

Jul 22, 2015 – Public Affairs Director

Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to hear about your interviewing experience with Pacific Life. Our goal is to create positive candidate experiences and the situation you described is ... More

Actuarial Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Pacific Life.

Interview

The questions are all behavioral and pretty straight forward. The final round is a group interview. Make sure you get to the online interface on time or several minutes earlier because the online conference can only take a certain number of videos, and the ones who are later than others will only be able to share audio tracks instead of having interviewers seeing them.

Interview Questions

• How do you think your academic experience will contribute to your career?   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pacific Life in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted for an interview about two weeks later. The first interview was very easy. Just stuff like "why do you want to be an actuary", "do you have experience with excel, C++, etc.". Then they tell you about the job and you'll hear from them in about a week or two if you get past the first one. The second one is ten questions long and you'll be interviewed by a panel of about 10 actuaries along with 5 or so other candidates. They mainly ask basic behavioral questions, but at the end they open it up to the actuaries to ask any additional questions they want (don't worry they'll just ask any additional questions they have about your answers). Then a little over a week later they called me and told me I got the job and after they run a background check on you they'll send out a packet of paperwork to fill out.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you didn't have a piece of information and what you did to get that information   1 Answer
    • This was a three part question: 1.) What is your proficiency level with excel? 2.) What other programming languages do you know? 3.) What are the biggest programming projects you have worked on?   1 Answer

Inforce Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pacific Life.

Interview

It was easy. Just went over a few questions you can find by googling behavioral questions. The process was real fast for me. The HR lady and I had some common interested so it helped speed the process up. The HR staff at PL are really friend easy going people. The overall culture at PL is about having a good work life balance for their employees.

Interview Questions

• If you are a personable person you will be find. You know stuff in terms of your resume and be a critical thinker too.   Answer Question

Regional Service Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pacific Life (Aliso Viejo, CA).

Interview

I interviewed over the phone. Overall it was a negative experience. The interviewer only asked a few questions and, in my opinion, didn't gather near enough information to determine if I'd potentially be a good fit for the position. When the time came for me to ask questions, the responses were very short and direct. The interviewer lacked professionalism and was borderline rude.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your greatest success in your previous position?   Answer Question

Audit Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Pacific Life (Orange, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

In depth HR screening and typical department interviews with three different individuals from the department that was posting / hiring for the position. In general, the interview process was very much like what you would expect. I'm not sure what else to write here. I sat in one room while the three people came in and sat across the table from me. Everyone was very friendly and asked pointed yet typical interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of how you demonstrated ethical behavior.   Answer Question

Actuary Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Pacific Life.

Interview

The interview was very straightforward. The person asked questions about your resumes and qualifications. If selected to the final round, there will be a panel of people who interview you through skype. Most of questions are behaviour-based.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult for me was to explain the projects to them in the simplest terms. There was no unexpected questions, so knowing your stuff and keeping them short and straight to the questions was required.   Answer Question

New Business Temp Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Pacific Life.

Interview

It was easy. You'll need to have some experience in an office setting and act like you really want the job!

Actuarial Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pacific Life.

Interview

The phone interview had basic HR questions such as educational experience, work history, strengths and weaknesses, etc. There were some specific questions about the position such as my proficiency level with Microsoft Excel, and if I knew features such as VLOOKUP and Pivot Tables. The final interview was done via webcam with 6 or 7 other candidates and a group of actuaries on the other side. Questions were asked and then all the candidates took turns to answer. The questions were not too unexpected. They were mostly about our work and educational experiences that make us suitable for an actuarial position. Some were typical HR questions about group work, leadership potential, achievement we were most proud of, etc.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Pacific Life in December 2013.

Interview

first a phone interview for about half an hour with an actuarial HR person. She was nice and straightforward, the questions she asked in phone interview were pretty standard behavior questions. After about a week I was notified for an Web interview. It was a panel interview with that same HR person and a team of 5-6 actuaries, and 5 other candidates. It was kind of intimidating because you can hear every answer other candidates provide. The web interview went on for an hour and a half. Sadly I didn't receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you took the initiative and took what was originally expected of you into a better level in a technical situation.   Answer Question