Packt Publishing Interview Questions

Updated Mar 6, 2015
Updated Mar 6, 2015

2.8

Technical Editor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Packt Publishing.

Extended up to three weeks, lots of writing and editing exercises, an HR round followed by an interview with the Operations manager. Should be easy to crack if you're proficient in spoken and written English. You'll be asked to check for typos, grammar and language errors in addition to writing at least two essays.

Applies for Data Analyst Got Da Job Offer From Nakuri Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Packt Publishing in February 2015.

The 1st round includes forms that u have to fill Personal data and an essay to write
    The 2nd round Comprises of basic Aptitude and the HR will let u known after a waiting patiently for a long time

Interview Questions
    • In the first round was about writing an essay on 'What makes you the kind of person ur'   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Packt Publishing in November 2014.

One of the things that struck me about the interview process at Packt was how professionally and graciously it was conducted throughout. Having applied for the role via LinkedIn, I was contacted quickly via the HR team for a telephone interview. At that moment in time, I already had a product manager role within a business and was unsure as to whether the role at Packt was right for me. I advanced to the final interview stage after about 2 weeks and it was at this point that I decided to bow out of the interview process. This was as a result of negative reviews about Packt that I had read on 'Glass Door'. Because I was already employed, I felt like the risk of joining Packt was too high and it wasn't something that felt comfortable doing.

After informing the HR team at Packt of my decision, they insisted on meeting-up with me in an informal environment to discuss the reasons why I had pulled out in more detail. It was here where I met with a member of the management team and they convinced me that they were actively committed to solving the issues raised by the poor reviews. Moreover, they wanted to give me another chance at the final interview. It was the time I spent with the management team in that meeting that convinced me that I wanted to be a part of the team at Packt. It was their resolve to be better and fix the mistakes of the past that appealed to me. That's why the following week I found myself in the final part of the interview process and I'm delighted to say I got the job.

Packt Publishing Response

Feb 3, 2015Resource Manager

Thank you for your feedback.
    Here at Packt we recognise that top talent is hard to come by, in particular Product Managers. Glass door is a great place for everyone interested to see what our
    ... More

Digital Marketing Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Packt Publishing.

I was initially invited to take part in a telephone interview within a few days of applying for this position. Soon after, a first-stage interview was held at the employer's office. This mainly seemed to be to ensure my skills and experience were suited for the role. I'm pleased to say I was then invited back for a second, final-stage interview in which I was tasked with giving a presentation and performing some role-specific tasks to showcase my creative and technical abilities. This final-stage interview also allowed me to get to know the staff and company through discussions with various members of staff who I would potentially be working with.
    Overall, I would say the tone was professional and yet quite relaxed. It was certainly an interesting and enjoyable experience.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to give very specific details in response to a question regarding how I would market eBooks over other (free) formats. The employer was looking for a "right" answer, which was very different to the rest of the interview process.   Answer Question
    It was done over the phone and lasted no longer than a minute - I accepted immediately.

Sales and Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Packt Publishing.

I passed my telephone interview where I was asked to research and answer questions about Packt and some general scenario based questions.

I was then invited to an interview which took around half a day. It was evident from the get-go that the recruitment team, interviewers and even top management wanted to get the best out of us and encouraged us to show our personality, as well as aptitude. The office environment is open and relaxed.

I interviewed with three other people, and started off with some fun tasks to see how we work with a team. We broke for lunch (paid for!) and then separated for an interview with the sales and marketing team management who asked us scenario questions, and to prepare a speech about what inspires us most. Finally, we met with a few Top Team members who were very approachable and rounded off the day with some questions to see how passionate I was about the role I was going for.

Definitely one of the better interviews I've been to. It was formal, but relaxed and I walked out really hoping I'd get the job. I'd been offered another job from another company that same day, for a better starting salary, but declined - the whole experience of making sure there was a good fit, the passion and friendliness of everyone I spoke to, overall great experience, and importantly the personal & professional development opportunities won me over.

The whole process from initial call, to job offer was around 7 days, and I'd started the following week!

Interview Questions
    • Why would a person buy a book on tech, when there is so much free material on the internet?   View Answer

Editor Interview

Robust interview process, competency based and assessment. The people were friendly and engaging. I was impressed with the Human Resources Department, they communicated well with me and kept me updated throughout the process. I was given feedback at all stages of the process. It was one of the most professional recruitment processes I have ever been through - thank you for looking after me.

Good and professional

Copy Editor (English Language) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Andheri (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Packt Publishing in September 2014.

The whole interview process took almost 5 days. Initially, you'll be given a few forms to fill, which include basic info about yourself and past work experience, etc. At the end of this form, you are supposed to write an essay containing minimum 250 words.

The essay topic my form had was "What makes you the type of person you are today."

After filling the form, you're given a standard proofreading/editing test. You'll be given a printout of excerpts from the books they have published. You need to mark out the errors and discrepancies. There is no time limit for this, but basically if you're good, you can finish the whole thing in an hour.

After submitting this test back to HR, the HR will take at least 15 to 20 minutes to decide and will let you know the result - aka whether you're selected for the next round or not.

If selected, you'll be given another test (which is the most important test) but this time it will be on a computer. You'll be given 3 excerpts and you'll be notified about the number of errors these excerpts contain and you'll basically be given 45 mins to an hour to rectify them. Once you're done with this test, you'll be told to write TWO MORE ESSAYS consisting of at least 250 to 300 words each. THIS TEST AND THE ESSAY ARE VERY IMPORTANT as they will be sent to the UK team, and once you're finished with the test, you are told to go home and wait for them to give you a call back.

After this test, it took them 3 to 4 days for the result. Actually, I was the one calling them for the result. After the fourth day, I was told that I have been selected for "the next round."

The next round is a ONE-ON-ONE with two people - the Production/Process Manager and your "supposed" Team Leader. I think if you get selected and join the company, you'll be joining that TL's team.

In this round, they were asking basic questions related to your profile. One stupid question the TL asked was "Why are you wearing casual clothing on an interview." What he failed to realize was this was basically my second time coming here, and everyone in this company was wearing casual clothing, even just a simple T-shirt and shorts. What puzzled me the most was that TL himself was wearing casual clothing and was literally looking like a caveman with unkempt hair, etc.

One good question that TL did ask was "Since this is a company that publishes Technical books, it would be almost impossible to train a person in all the technical languages, so in this case, what would be my "plan of action" to overcome this hurdle if given the job as Technical Editor."

What I didn't seem to understand was why was this TL asking me this question, even though I was actually applying for the post of Copy Editor (English language) and our job only entailed making sure English language and grammar usage was perfect and that there were other Technical Editors employed in the company who actually coordinated with us and did the technical editing part.

Another question posed was "Since you have already given the test of 3 excerpts, how many pages like this would you be able to edit in 1 day?"

Overall, both these guys seemed satisfied by the answers given by me.

Nonetheless, after this round, I was made to wait for 30 minutes, and then the HR came and told me "My application was put on hold" and that I would be given the final answer in 2 to 3 days and whether I would "proceed to the next round." This round might very well be the final HR salary discussion round.

I called after 2 to 3 days, and the related HR was "unreachable." Three more days went by, and I was not able to reach this particular HR. I was just told "to call back later" or tomorrow, which was quite pathetic on this company's part.

After repeated attempts to get in touch with the HR, another 5 days went by (again pathetic), the HR finally came on phone and told me outright "I was not selected" without giving me any particular reason for my rejection.

What I don't seem to understand is, even after getting selected by the UK team and getting a satisfactory response from ONE-ON-ONE interview, why did it take them 5 days just to say NO?

MY OVERALL EXPERIENCE WITH THE INTERVIEW PROCESS: GOOD INITIALLY - AT THE END PATHETIC.

Interview Questions
    • "Since this is a company that publishes Technical books, it would be almost impossible to train a person in all the technical languages, so in this case, what would be my "plan of action" to overcome this hurdle if given the job as Technical Editor."   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Andheri (India)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Packt Publishing in September 2014.

It contains three rounds. First round consists of writing essay. Second round consists of comprehension where we have to find errors and third round consists of writing essay and xml coding where we have to find errors, and after that they didn't announced any results.

Technical Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marol (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marol (India)

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Packt Publishing.

Had Recieved an Invite by mail for the interview. Very Easy if youre really good at communication and
    command over english. Few rounds , of which the aptitude round is real easy,

Interview Questions
    • Had 2 rounds of HR and technical. You dont have to go prepared, Be honest about your experiences and show language etiquette . That was all for me.   Answer Question
    Nothing sort of any negotiations , may be because i didnt care. i just wanted the job. Its a pretty good place to start working in the professional industry.

Editor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Packt Publishing.

initially an essay to check your english, followed by a easy test based on your job role. a quick meeting with the HR and lastly an interview with a dumb team leader and his favorite pet.

Interview Questions
    • the panel will ask you the same question repeatedly until they get the desired answer   Answer Question