Palantir Technologies Business Development Interview Questions

Updated Jan 21, 2015

3.1

Business Development Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in January 2015.

Interview

An employee reached out to me, indicating I would be a good fit given my background and the team's role. I found the interview process to be typical of a tech company, of how they "really want to get to know you" and iterating that in the emails prior to the interview as well as providing candidates with sufficient information prior to the interview. The interview was a 30 minute "coffee meeting" with one of the team members, scheduled by Recruiting. It was a typical behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• Give me the name of your manager, if I were to call him/her how would he rank you on a 1-10 scale. If you are not a 10, why? What would be the reason that he/or she gives to support this rating.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Palantir Technologies

Business Development Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview

I had three phone interviews for a position. The first was excellent, I was asked great questions and it felt like a good conversation in which I learned a lot about the company and vice versa. The second was a bit awkward but mostly ok. The third was very awkward, as I was not asked any questions but just told to ask the interviewer questions, for a full hour. The interviewer seemed a bit distracted. There were several scheduling issues throughout where it did not seem like HR and the team were communicating. On the whole, though, it was generally a pretty 'normal' interview process, with the usual questions, and no brain teasers or trick questions as other here have mentioned. Unfortunately I never got to the in-person interview stage.

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies (McLean, VA).

Interview

WORST recruiters I have ever interacted with. I have worked for Facebook and Google before interviewing at Palantir and haven't seen such unprofessionalism. The onsite interview was actually challenging with each of the interviewers who were quite pleasant and definitely intelligent.

I think witnessing hearing the recruiters talk about other candidates in the same room as me while I was waiting made me feel uneasy. At one point, the two girls were laughing at one of the candidates and said 'she's probably not going to make it'. There was a dog in the lobby that defecated right near where we were all sitting which was quite gross and embarrassing. The candidates and I just all stood up and move to a different corner of the lobby.

While waiting for my recruiter to close me out, I could hear the people outside saying that she wasn't around because she was late coming back from the gym from some class. I sat in the interview room for about 35-45 minutes with random non-recruiters asking me if I was ok or needed anything. Finally my recruiter came in, she was all sweaty and still in gym clothes and said she was late from a meeting which I knew was crap.

Unfortunately I didn't get an offer, I actually knew I wasn't when one of the other recruiters said something outside the door "we're just waiting to close her out, she's not going to make it".

I'm ok with not getting an offer from this company. I truly appreciate how awesome the recruiters at Google and Facebook are, and left this company with a not so pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• Explain how I would model data for a changing market in a specific industry.   Answer Question

Business Development Interview

Application

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview

I got contacted just a little over a week after submitting my resume to schedule a phone interview. The interview was pretty friendly and informal; they just wanted to make sure I was truly interested in their company and understood what they do. They asked me questions like, "How did you hear about Palantir?", "What is your understanding of what we do?", "Why do you want to work here?", etc.

Interview Questions

• "How would you explain our platform to a 10-year-old boy?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Total interviews: 8 (including phone and on-site)

I didn't find the interview questions especially tough, as long as you thought creatively. I had a few interviews and then lunch (which I think was a "culture fit" interview, to be honest) followed by a product demo and then more interviews.

If they like you, they let you stay after the product demo to do more interviews, and everyone who is hired interviews with a founder during their on-site day.

Honestly, it's pretty stressful/long, but not unbearable. Everyone seems to know it's a long day, and offers you breaks, drinks, and snacks constantly.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe the Palantir platform to your grandmother?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They give three offers with different mixes of salary and stock options and you pick what works for you.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

Strange. I had a couple of phone screens then flew out for on-sites which they do on wednesdays. I interviewed with the finance team--the interviews were casual and the questions were interesting quantitative questions mostly. A couple algorithm/coding questions and a couple problems involving dice, jelly beans, jars, goats, doors and the like.

The office is typical silicon valley: jeans and t-shirts, video game rooms, scooters, free drinks and caf etc. I frankly find that whole vibe a little phony--somebody's paying for the redbull--but some people are into it. The senior people came across as super arrogant, with one enumerating the alma mater's of various engineers. Which is annoying--if I wanted to put up with that crap then I'd work at a bank.

Anyways, they called back and asked me to interview at an office near me. Which went fine. Then I had phone calls with two "of the founders", which were pretty much non-eventful if a little awkward. Then they called and said I was a bad fit. Which was honestly probably true, but it shouldn't have taken two months and a ton of my time to determine that.

Interview Questions

• unix question: find a file containing a word in a file structure   4 Answers

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies (Sydney (Australia)) in August 2014.

Interview

I asked a recruiter for details on the position and weeks elapsed before she set up some time for a phone interview, her being in the US, me in Australia. She was 30 mins late but the discussion was pleasant enough. Some standard screening questions. I was disappointed that she could not articulate the role for me. I guessed that it was basically just a proposal writer/communications job but they tried to dress it up as something more exciting (a trend apparent in a lot of their job titles). I was asked to send in writing samples - but she was not specific on style. The whole experience left me quite flat and not at all enamoured with the company.

Business Development Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview

I was asked to provide multiple work samples. There were two interviews, all of which I received great feedback for. I was asked how I would explain the Palantir platform to a four year old which was interesting. They were very accommodating in regards to setting up interviews times to work with my schedule.

Interview Questions

• If I had to redesign the airport security system in the US where would I start.   Answer Question

Business Development Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in April 2012.

Interview

1 phone screen followed by 3 back-to-back 1-on-1 interviews on-site

Some brain-teasers, questions about why you want to work there, general knowledge of your field

Business Development Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in December 2010.

Interview

After finishing an MBA, I left my email with Palantir at a college careers fair. They were very proactive in contacting me and took the time to write individually and in detail about the company culture and what to expect.

Even though they decided my experience was not relevant to their current needs, it was a positive interaction.