Palantir Technologies

Updated Feb 23, 2015
Updated Feb 23, 2015

3.2

Deployment Strategist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

It's hard to take Palantir seriously when its primary interview questions for a decently technical role are brainteasers and uninquiring questions. The recruiter asks a series of brainteasers on varying levels of difficulty. Fortunately, I happen to sit around memorizing them. Not really, but I do love brainteasers so onto the next step: an HR person from Palantir then schedules a phone interview with someone in the role.

The phone interview was very dry. This is where the uninquiring questions are from. For example, I was asked what superpower I would have if I could choose only one. The interviewer even said that people usually take a minute. Seriously though? I did not even hesitate and briefly explained my choice, but he did not probe further. It was kind of fun because I was testing the waters now. I was curious if they would dive deeper, as I did not see how the answer could have been something like a STAR-method response in the first place. Nothing.

Overall, the interview was barely about Palantir's work and I did not learn much that I didn't already know from reading the news. These questions neither reflected on experience nor competence as an employee, unless Palantir has plans to use people's imaginary superpowers. I did learn that salaries are capped and when busy, the hours are very long. Motivation for growth here already seems plateaued.

Interview Questions
  • If you could have any superpower, which would you choose? (Seriously.)
    I'm thinking of a number from 1 to 1000. You can only ask yes or no questions to figure it out. What questions would you ask?

View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Palantir Technologies

Deployment Strategist Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Recruited via LinkedIn (not sure if they were third party or Palantir Employee, it was difficult to tell), then Phone Interview with current DS, afterwards I heard back from recruiter, not DS I interviewed with

Interview Questions
    • What was a process of ours that you got to know while researching us? I'll hold you to *not* describing [process I had already mentioned].   Answer Question

Deployment Strategist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in December 2014.

I applied initially online, then was emailed by a member of the Palantir recruitment team and set up a 30 minute phone screen. The next interview was also by phone but this time with a Deployment Strategist and lasted about 50 minutes. In both of the interviews, I was asked about my experience that motivated me applying for the position. The 2nd phone interview mostly revolved around me offering up different use-cases for the technology, and how to actually deploy it successfully. I felt like I focused too much on the interesting conceptual side of my answers and not enough on the actual implementation and deployment side. Either way, a good learning experience.

Interview Questions
    • Say you have a four-story building with one elevator, how do you make the elevator maximally efficient.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Had 1 pre screen with a recruiter, 2 phone calls with Deployment Strategists, then an onsite visit where I met with 2 more Deployment strategists and an engineer. Overall, it was a mix of behavioral, product understanding, and data type case questions. The product type questions were trying to see how well you understand what their product is and how it could be implemented in another company. The data type case questions took that a step further by asking what types of data sets you would need, what the value would be and so forth and eventually tying it all together. Didn't receive any brain teasers. I thought overall the questions were pretty fair and were really just trying to figure out if I have the mindset to do the job. The people in general were pretty nice although all but one seemed very rushed.

Interview Questions
    • Imagine Kayak.com had no one to analyze or make sense of their data. How would you show them the value in their data? I.e. how do you get from all the data they have to some kind of monetary value from it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in December 2014.

Very timely, friendly, and organized. Quick to follow-up, interesting questions.
    The questions tested communication/explanation skills, logical reasoning, and situational behavior.
    Had an on-campus interview followed by an onsite in the Palantir's office in Palo Alto.

Interview Questions
    • System design, troubleshooting, pattern recognition in data.   Answer Question

Deployment Strategist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Process was straightforward, one phone screen and then invited to the office for a series of three interviews with other DS employees. Interviews were balanced culture questions and analytical questions. No brain teasers, the questions were mission focused and required a pretty in depth understanding of how their software worked, which they provide you with before hand.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through a typical installation of our product at a client on a very short timescale   Answer Question

Deployment Strategist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in November 2014.

A recruiter initially reached out to me after finding my online portfolio. After a 15ish minute HR phone screen, I was set up for my first interview. The first round was a 60 minute interview with a Deployment Strategist that was part technical part problem solving. Nothing too crazy if you have a technical background. I got positive feedback from that interview and was asked to do a project using Palantir software. After the project was completed, I had another phone interview to discuss the project. I was not selected to move on past this round unfortunately. If I would have been, however, the next step was onsite interviews.

Interview Questions
    • How would you prove to me that the servers for Netflix are not on the moon?   Answer Question

Deployment Strategist Interview

I had three phone calls with Palantir. First was a recruiter screen - it was the most passive phone conversation I have ever had. She would ask me questions, I would respond, and then there would be a 10 second awkward pause, and then she would ask another question. There was no engagement on her side. This was off-putting, but I decided to continue with the process. Second was an interview with a deployment strategist. He was very friendly and asked a mix of behavioral questions and brain teasers. This was the only positive part of my interviewing experience with Palantir. Next interview was with another deployment strategist. She was incredibly cold and difficult to converse with. She also seemed to lack basic social skills -- for example, upon calling me, she immediately launched into a brain teaser - no basic introduction at all about her background or herself. This was odd and off-putting. Additionally, when I asked her about the strengths and weaknesses about Palantir culture -- her response for weakness was essentially if there is any part of Palantir's culture which you don't like, then there's an issue with you, not the culture. This sort of defensive attitude made me certain I did not wish to work at Palantir/continue with the process.

Interview Questions
    • How would you map any number between 0 and 1 to the range 10 to 100, preserving relative spacing   View Answers (2)

Deployment Strategist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in October 2014.

The hiring manager was pleasant and easy to talk to. The process was fast at about half an hour. You are only interviewing with someone from one office and they have biases. You are evaluated by the location team you apply for but if they say NO, you won't be considered for any other positions for 2 years.

Deployment Strategist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Was contacted by a recruiter. Had an initial phone screen about my background/the position. She passed my resume along. First round phone interview, mostly behavioral but also had a hypothetical scenario. Didn't hear back for a week but when I did was asked if I could take the day off on two days notice to come in for a second round. This seemed a bit odd to ask on such short notice.

Next round was 4 interviews. Some with cases, one with brain teaser, one all behavioral. Brain teaser was tough. Behavioral questions seemed a bit irrelevant for someone pretty fresh out of college (what is the toughest decision you've ever had to make etc.) Overall, most people I met were very nice and interesting but the process wasn't too great. There is definitely a feeling that your time as a candidate isn't important (interviewers were frequently late, I was expected to schedule interviews last minute, my phone screen interviewer didn't call me on time and I had to call the recruiter to check in about it etc.) The process was more disorganized than I would expect from a company of Palantir's level.

After the second round the next step would have been a couple more interviews, the recruiter told me. A week later I got a generic email saying I wouldn't be moving forward.