Palantir Technologies Deployment Strategist Interview Questions

Updated Jul 29, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

First step: I had a 30 minute long screening call with the recruiter, who asked some straightforward interview questions. That same day, I heard from another recruiter who arranged a call with a team member - not a deployment strategist, but someone in business development in Palo Alto. Call scheduled for a week later. In this call, the interviewer drilled down into my strengths and weaknesses (3 of each!), asking about each in great detail and requesting numerous examples. There was some talk about why I would want to work in tech. Interviewer had to run and left time for just one question at the end of the call - call lasted an hour. The next week I heard that I was invited into the office for more interviews. This meeting was scheduled for the following week. I had 3 in-person interviews: two face-to-face, one over Skype. The interviews were very casual and conversational - they were almost entirely about my experience and specific stories about my current job. The interviewers spent a great deal of time asking for more information about situations I brought up. There was a whiteboard problem in the second interview - I had practiced some decomposition problems, but the problem I received in the interview was more fun than anything I had done to that point. Overall, the experience in the office was very positive and pretty relaxed - everyone I spoke with was friendly and accommodating and seemed genuinely interested in providing a stimulating experience. I was told I would hear back in the next few days. 2 weeks later I heard from the recruiter, who told me they didn't have a job open that was a strong match for my background. No further feedback was available upon request.

Interview Questions

• What is one kind of tech (software) that you use often and how would you improve it?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Palantir Technologies

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I had a phone screen with an HR representative and then got a follow up phone interview with a Deployment Strategist. The HR team was very efficient in scheduling the interview in a timely manner due to other outstanding offers. The phone call lasted about an hour. The interviewer jumped right into asking me broad questions about my career goals and then how I'd use data to solve business problems, but not in a specific scenario. I wasn't sure whether the interviewer was trying to 'stress test' me, or if he just felt that there was no need for friendliness during an interview.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years? What are your weaknesses? What's another weakness? What's another weakness? What's the name of your last boss, and what how would that person rate you to work with 1 - 10? (I don't think they were actually going to contact them, just trying to get you to be honest by associating their name.)   Answer Question

Deployment Strategist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview

The interview process for me started with a project, where I had to use the Palantir platform to solve a problem. Then I had several phone screens with Deployment Strategists at Palantir. After the phone screens, there was an on-site visit, where I was interviewed by other Deployment Strategists along with individuals in Business Development and Engineering. Although the on-site interviews were much more difficult than the phone screens, most of the questions were very interesting and intellectually stimulating. Overall positive experience.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

First I got a phone call from a recruiter, where I got asked questions about my background and an easy brainteaser ( see below). Then I was invited to a Skype video chat with an employee at Palantir.

Interview Questions

• How would you make the hiring process more efficient at Google (in terms of time consumption for engineers) ? What is your weakness ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

There were two phone interviews, both with current Deployment Strategists. The first was a newer employee, who had been there about year. The second was with a Deployment Strategist who had been with the company for 2-3 years. In the first phone interview, there were basic questions about my experience and some hypotheticals relevant to the role. There were also a series of 'brain teaser' questions. In the second phone interview, the questions were a lot less specific; about my strengths and weaknesses and where I saw myself in five years.

Interview Questions

• Say you were asked to use transaction data from a supermarket to increase revenue, how would you go about it? If a tic tac toe board is N rows by N columns, how many ways are there to win? Where do you see yourself in five years?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies (Tysons Corner, VA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral and was contacted by a recruiter a day later. We had a 30-40 min phone call where the interviewer asked basic interview questions and asked about my interests. The recruiter thought that I would be a good fit for the deployment strategist role. A few days later I had a phone interview with a deployment strategist. The interviewer focused on why I thought my background would be a good fit for the position, where I saw myself in 5 years, and my strengths and weaknesses. The interviewer also asked about any problems that I'd noticed with Palantir and how they could be fixed. The interview would have been challenging but I have a lot of experience interviewing and am prepared for almost all questions. A few days later my recruiter reached out to set up an office interview. In preparation, I tried to learn as much as I could about Palantir through introductory videos. I covered the Object Model, Dynamic Ontologies, etc. A week and a half after that I went to Palantir in Tysons Corner where I interviewed with 3 people over the course of a morning. My first interview focused (again) on my previous experience and how it would be useful at Palantir. The interviewer also asked some general questions about how I would address difficult client situations. The second interview was a video conference. The interviewer did not seem very interested in the interview and I felt uncomfortable. He asked how I would model two different but related data sets. My answer focused on the Object Model and how there are objects, properties, and relationships that you can change depending on what the client is trying to find. My third interviewer asked more about my background, gave me a hypothetical about how to gather data during an emergency situation, and then asked me about superpowers. At the end of the interview, the recruiter told me they would get back to me within a week. A few days later my recruiter called and asked how I thought the interview went. I think this was a tactic for Palantir to buy time. The conversation ended with the recruiter saying they would get back to me in another week or so. After more than a week passed, I reached out. They told me they hoped to have feedback on my interview later that day, but they didn't. It seemed quite disorganized. Eventually, they told me that I would not be moving forward because I did not do a good job answering the modeling question. They then praised the rest of my interview and told me to reapply in 9-12 months. While I'm sure I could have given a better answer to the modeling question, I do not think I gave a terrible answer and it seems foolish for a company to not hire someone based on something that they say they will teach you in training. It makes me wonder if that was just their excuse (especially since many of these interview posts say they did not get an offer because of a modeling/technical question) or if something else was going on, and I wish that HR would just be honest (potential lawsuits aside). I was also frustrated with the non-response that I received about what I would need to improve my interview and technical answers if I were to reapply in 9-12 months.

Interview Questions

• How would go about acquiring data from different entities during an emergency (like a storm)?   Answer Question

Deployment Strategist Interview

Interview

Had a phone screen, flew out for an on-site, and had 3 back to back interviews. Interesting mix of incredibly clever people, each one whom had a different personality. An enjoyable experience, with some unpredictable questions!

Interview Questions

• Palantir is a tech company - why do you want to join it?   Answer Question

Deployment Strategist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in March 2015.

Interview

There were three phone interviews from the recruiter and one from a team member. More than usual, but typical sort of stuff: Discussions on the company culture, what the position is about, what they are looking for, what I am looking for, etc. The phone interview with the team member was nothing like the other reviews I had read. No brain teasers or riddles. Just asking what I did. Pretty straightforward. They really want you to do your research, though. So sit down and spend some time on their website reading about what they do and offer. Check out their youtube page.

Interview Questions

• What did you find interesting about projects Palantir has worked on?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

An alum from my University referred my resume to a recruiter, which started the recruitment process. I had one phone screen followed by one 45 minutes behavioral/"case" interview. I was then given a take-home case to experiment with Palantir's software, and had a super day of 5 interviews (casual lunch was the 3rd).

Interview Questions

• What kind of tech company would you start if you had 50 million dollars and your team of choice?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Over the phone interview followed by an In-person, onsite interview. Over the phone was a quick 20-40 screening for you to articulate how much you know about the product and how you would use it in a given situation. Palantir have also been known to throw in a brain teaser at this point. The In-person, onsite interview lasted a couple of hours. The interviewers went into depth on my resume, and asked how I would apply Palantir during certain times of my work experience. I didn't receive any brainteasers, although I hear that Palantir usually administer wicked hard brainteasers at this point. I heard back in a few days that I didn't match what they were looking for, which was fine, but it seems like a really amazing company to work for!

Interview Questions

• Say you have a dataset with a certain amount of transaction information. Describe how you would demonstrate the value of Palantir's platform using this product.   Answer Question