Palantir Technologies Forward Deployed Engineer Intern Interview Questions

3.7

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Forward Deployed Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Palantir Technologies in November 2013.

I had a phone interview that went very well. The interviewer asked me a couple typical technical questions and then another one about how to communicate a particular technical concept to a non-technical person. This was hard but in the end I was successful and proud of the answer I came up with. In the end, I did not get the internship. However, I was contacted twice more regarding other much much less technical positions I was not interested in. I felt like the recruiters were trying to coerce me into thinking they were equally satisfying positions.

Interview Questions
  • How would you explain a deadlock to a nontechnical person?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Palantir Technologies

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Palantir Technologies in March 2013.

I submitted my resume online and was contacted by a recruiter two weeks later. She inquired about my interests and matched me with a team for a phone screen.

The phone screen consisted of two simple questions coded on a shared document, one based on string manipulation and the other on finding anagrams. In each case, the interviewer had me write multiple solutions and explain the trade-offs between them. He also told me to justify which one I would choose for an actual implementation.

I was invited to an on-site interview after two more weeks. This consisted of four rounds of technical grilling alternating between algorithmic puzzles and high-level design questions, with lunch (yumalicious) and a product demo after the third round. The algorithmic portions required a thorough knowledge of common data structures and their speeds, plus some basic graph theory.

The design questions definitely continued the trend of the phone screen. The interviewer asked me to explain every choice of abstraction and data structure, which forced me to (a) identify alternatives and (b) adopt or reject them. As an example, I had to choose between storing absolute or relative locations of objects in a mock video game, which was influenced by my methods for collision detection and position updating. I didn't make good progress in the very last round, but the engineer told me I passed because it wasn't so much a test of competence as it was to make sure "you aren't a jerk".

Finally, the founder interview. This consisted of basic stuff such as "tell me about this project on your resume" and "why do you want to work here"? I got an offer by email later that night.

Interview Questions
    • Given a corpus of valid words, design a function that takes a word as input and outputs all valid anagrams of that word.   View Answer
    It was generous, so I didn't negotiate.

Forward Deployed Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Well, I gave them my resume at a career fair, and got an email a long time (couple months) later. Frankly, it came as something of a surprise. Had a phone screen; we used one of those online text editors (way better than Google Docs), and the interview was basically just checking if I could code Java. Nailed that, got an onsite schedule for a couple months later (beginning of next semester). I studied a bunch and went. As everyone else mentioned, it was three interviews and a demo as well as lunch. Their office is great and their engineers seem cool, albeit somewhat disinterested in interviewing, it seemed. Interview questions were difficult, but reasonable. The interviewing rooms had amusing themes, which nicely lightened the mood. I was one of the few that stayed after lunch, having another interview as long as a talk with a hiring manager and a founder. I heard this meant I would probably get an offer, but I got rejected about 10 days later. Bummer.

Interview Questions
    • Given an input of a 3D matrix of ones and zeros, count the number of contiguous 1-filled regions (as separated by 0-filled regions), as well as the size of the largest one (I think; doesn't really change the problem much). I forget what these were called...   View Answers (3)

Forward Deployed Engineer Intern Interview

A phone interview followed by an in person interview and skype session with the founders. The phone interview had about 3 questions dealing with algorithms and data structures, the in person was 3 back to back interviews with developers covering more algorithms and data structures and some system design.

Interview Questions
    • Sort a string by the order it's characters appear in another string.   View Answer

Worked for Palantir Technologies? Contribute to the Community!