Palantir Technologies Forward Deployed Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 18, 2015

3.8

Forward Deployed Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview

1. Spoke with recruiter on the phone. 2. Two phone interviews, one with a simple coding exercise and another with more of a data science type of case study. 3. Flew out to NYC for five consecutive on-site interviews. One coding exercise, two open-ended domain-specific case studies, one abstract probability problem, and one algorithmic problem. Overall, I thought the process was fair, although I felt the probability problem was a tough ask for an on-the-spot interview. I asked some of my smartest friends that problem and most struggled with it (maybe that is the point, though). I just don't think it's a good interview question (though it's a great problem). Unlike a lot of algorithmic problems, it's not a problem that can be tackled in multiple ways... either you get the key insights, or you don't. It's a math problem with one solution, and it's a very thinky problem which isn't really conducive to discussion. Of the final 5 interviews, I had maybe 2 good interviews, 2 mediocre, and 1 below average. I felt like I was on the borderline throughout the process, and I did not progress to the final round (which was apparently a 'culture fit' interview with more senior people). It was a positive experience for me. I got a free trip to New York and got to visit some friends there. People were professional and kind, but perhaps a tad too full of themselves and the company. Ultimately I don't think the company would have been a good fit for me or them, so I think the process worked.

Interview Questions

• various questions described above   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Palantir Technologies

Forward Deployed Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview

Applied at a university career fair, was contacted quite a few weeks later by HR. Had a few calls with them narrowing down the position details, then had a live coding + design challenge interview over the phone with an engineer. Usually there are two but I went straight into an onsite. There's 3 morning interviews, lunch, product demo (while they deliberate I assume) and then possibly 1 or 2 more interviews if they feel you make the cut.

Interview Questions

• Some similar questions described on Glassdoor already, one very high level/abstract Palantir related design problem that I didn't really grasp.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I had three back-to-back 45 minute interviews, followed by lunch with an employee (who was honestly quite aloof) and a product demo. After that, I was quite relieved to continue to one last interview, which was with a more experienced engineer who had been working at Palantir for some time.

Interview Questions

• Decomposition question: How would you implement Pacman?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I was given an over the phone interview which then led to an onsite interview. Overall the process was very smooth. I was contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview. Was then invited onsite which consisted of 4 interviews, lunch, and a product demo.

Interview Questions

• Design make. (I.e. given a list of dependencies determine the order to compile)   Answer Question

Forward Deployed Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview

The HR contacted me via LinkedIn. The process is pretty smooth and people are really friendly. The first round was phone interview. The question was really easy, the only problem was I screwed it up as I was nervous.

Interview Questions

• Title Case the given input. Main goal was to check the memory efficiency.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

One coding challenge through HankerRank, the question was pretty basic, one phone screen question about data structure, one onsite that had 4 sessions and lasted the entire day. Food and travel was reimbursed.

Interview Questions

• Only behavioral question was about resume and why wanted to join.   Answer Question

Forward Deployed Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process first requires two phone calls (a week apart) with two Palantir Engineers. First caller was really late, but apologised profusely. Second caller was very casual and a bit disinterested. Generally the calls lasted around 45minutes. First the engineer would describe the FDE position, and then would ask general questions about myself. Then I had to answer a couple of technical questions which were a little tricky but not ridiculous.

Interview Questions

• Max sum subsequence of an array   3 Answers
    • How to sample a stream of integers with uniform distribution   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

1. Technical phone screen with a forward deployed engineer 2. Coffee interview with a lead 3. Coding and software decomp on-site interviews (4 interviews) 4. Software decomp Skype interview with a hiring manager 5. Founder/Director interview that I didn't have to do based on my performance during the entire process

Forward Deployed Engineer () Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in November 2014.

Interview

Applied through on-campus job board. Initial phone screening and coding interview conducted over skype - very basic questions about experience/interest in company and fairly straightforward question about counting duplicates in an array. I was called back a week later to do an on-site at the NYC office. Fairly straightforward coding questions (implement a HashMap, and then a MultiHashMap, where keys are denoted by more than one key; i.e. (<K1,K2>,V), implement a spell-checker, etc.). Interesting parts of the interview were from an individual from the product team ("If you had to build a new insurance company today what would be your products and business plan"), and from a data scientist (suppose you have a rectangle embedded on the plane, and a disk with the points contained within the rectangle. If you randomly throw a fixed triangle into the rectangle, what is the probability all its endpoints are contained within the circle?). All-in-all, the process consisted of 4 on-site interviews. After that, I got a call and interviewed one more time with an individual over skype (sort a k-sorted array of integers, where each element is only k indices away from its final sorted order).

Interview Questions

• Suppose you have a rectangle embedded on the plane, and a disk with the points contained within the rectangle. If you randomly throw a fixed triangle into the rectangle, what is the probability all its endpoints are contained within the circle? Suppose you have an array that's k-sorted, i.e. each element is only k indices away from its final sorted order. Sort this array in O(k log n) time.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Did not negotiate, since Palantir paid near double than what my other offers did.

Forward Deployed Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview

Rigorous application process for a role that demands strong problem solving abilities. You first apply online and if your resume + cover letter passes the test, HR will email you to schedule a call. They ask a few behavioral interview questions but then get right to complex problem which they want you to work through verbally on the call.

Interview Questions

• On the call I received this question which I had never previously heard. http://tierneylab.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/23/the-puzzle-of-100-hats/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0   Answer Question