Palantir Technologies Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

3.4

Mission Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Palantir Technologies in May 2013.

There were several conversations over the phone, followed by an on-site interview in their Virginia office. The telephone conversations were mainly with recruiter types. The on-site was with team members and included conversations with four different people as well as a presentation of the software itself. The interviews were pointed but friendly. The people are all smart and interesting, but it was clear that they expect long hours and a work-first attitude, which didn't match what I was looking from a work-life-balance perspective. All told the process took about 3 months.

Interview Questions
    • During the on-site, the interviewers asked several questions about Palantir's products, including asking for suggestions for improved/additional functionality. As a thought exercise it was interesting, but as an interviewee, I only had a limited knowledge of their products based on their web site and YouTube channel and and no additional information to work with.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Approached at a career fair, received a online code screen. The website was tough to use, took me awhile to figure out how to submit my code and develop in the online environment. In hindsight, I should've prepared beforehand to sit down and focus.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

You'll have to go through a code challenge for them to contact you. I was only able to get a few of the test cases right. It was tough but I believe it helped test your coding skills.

Interview Questions
    • The code challenge had recursion in it and I wasn't very strong in that area. They gave you 90 minutes to finish the challenge.   Answer Question

Non-tech Position Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Contacted for phone interview two weeks after application submission. Phone interview lasted 45 minutes covering a range of general questions on candidate's background, skill sets, strengths and weaknesses, etc... I would agree with others postings that the company is looking for someone that is a "good fit" rather than someone who is the most qualified.

Forward Deployed Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Palantir Technologies in February 2013.

Phone screen with recruiter (basically a sell of the job), then onsite interview. Flown to Palo Alto to finish onsite interview.

Met with most technical people - prepare to prove your skills.

Recruiter sold job as a more interesting tech job, listed a ton of technical buzz words and didn't understand the differences when I asked. They are pushing hard for the forward deployed role since they can't hire many people to want to drive around the DC area to sit at a customer site all day.

Eventually became a forward deployed engineer and realized how different the role was compared to what the recruiter said.

Interview Questions
    • Algorithmic problem to solve sequence and calculate row in a given structure   Answer Question
    They need people - so negotiate and stick to your highest desire. Don't let the recruiter drive your need. They don't have a background in tech, so speak to an actual engineer about the job since they really have no clue what they are pitching besides the buzz words.

Product Quality Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Palantir Technologies in November 2013.

Applied through career fair held at respective college. I received an email asking for a phone interview about a month later. The phone interview was about an hour long. They first ask about the information listed on the resume (work experience, research, etc), then ask you couple of questions. They are very broad. First question involves your knowledge on troubleshooting. The next question is something code-related question, but still very general.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't an unexpected question. Just asked how you would troubleshoot a website that was not working.   Answer Question

Wordsmith Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Palantir Technologies in May 2014.

Immediately emailed after submitting online applications. Initial screening call followed by writing exercise. The recruiter I spoke with was kind -- it seemed like she was looking more for a "culture fit" than anything else. It did not feel as professional as other interviews at more established companies.

Software Engineer Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter - she set up a phone interview which I expected to be relatively casual, but ended up having a technical interview portion at the end. This was fine and I probably should have expected it, but it would have been nice if this was brought up ahead of time. Overall it was a friendly experience, and despite not doing as well in the technical portions as I know I could have (I was in my car with nothing to take notes with), the interview was definitely a positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't particularly hard, just be sure to prepare a bit before interviewing.

Explain the significance of 2^32 (This was kind of vague, but still should have been more obvious if i was a bit more relaxed).
        Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

A recruiter found me from online. After several weeks a phone interview with an engineer was scheduled. The phone interview was done on a computer where I worked on something and the interviewer will give some hints. The question was easy but I was nervous so I did not do well. After a few weeks I got an email that the position is not a fit.

Site Reliability Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Palantir Technologies in August 2014.

Started by applying online. Recruiter called and he interviewed me for 20-30 minutes. Several days later he emailed me setting up a second phone interview with someone in the same position. Again, the second interview was about half an hour. A few days after that the recruiting team contacted me and asked that I come on site for a couple of 1:1 interviews in McLean, VA. They took care of all the details and sent me an itinerary to follow. Trip was easy, no problems. I got to their office and was told there would be a wait and I was offered water, everyone was very nice. Eventually I met the Lead over Site Reliably Operations and we had a 30 minute discussion about my background and my interest in Palantir, nothing challenging or out of the ordinary. Afterwards he explained that his Lead would interviewing me remotely as he was currently at the California office. Here we dived into my experience and background with a lot of scenario based questions focusing greatly on Project Management skills. After about half an hour of this he said he had another meeting and we were done. The recruiter talked to me afterwards and showed me out. A few days later I received an email informing me that I was not selected due to my years of experience in a traditional enterprise environment potentially causing culture integration problems. Which is fair, the start-up atmosphere was very different from anything I've seen before. Great experience overall!

Interview Questions
    • If the customer has a stupid idea for a new feature, how do you deal with it?   View Answer

Worked for Palantir Technologies? Contribute to the Community!