Palantir Technologies

Average Difficulty
454 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Palantir Technologies

Interview Details – interviewers are very friends and typical bay area software engineers. They are very sharp and helpful during interview process. Most of interview questions are algorithmic. The hiring process is thorough.

Interview Question – medium   Answer Question

Business Intelligence Interview

Business Intelligence

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Palantir Technologies in July 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online was invited for a phone interview about a week later. They interviews are scheduled on Pacific time, which is fine with me, as it allows greater leeway for me (EST) to take calls after my own workday is done. The recruiter and I arrange a phone interview for later that week at 6:30 eastern/ 3:30 pacific time. That afternoon, the recruiter emails me to explain that the person I was supposed to chat with is actually in the New York office (to which I applied anyway) and can't accommodate the prescribed interview time after all. To me this was a huge oversight on the part of the interview coordinator, but I really want this job so I agree to postpone the interview until the same time one week later, when I will speak to someone else.

When the hour of the phone interview finally arrived a week later, they didn't actually call me until 45 minutes after the start time. The interview went okay for the most part, but the interviewer was really rushing through to make up for the lost time (which is their fault). Part of the company's instructions for taking interviews is to prepare lots of questions to ask, but in his haste to get through the call, the interview only let me ask a handful before saying he had to go. I didn't exactly feel like I was set up for success.

The content of the phone interview was pretty broad. We talked about my background, how I found the position and why I want to work at Palantir in general. Things got kind of hairy when he asked about my tech background - for a non-technical position - and my answers clearly didn't impress him and his Silicon Valley expectations. I thought that was kind of unfair because, again, this was for a non-technical position, and the person in the role would mostly be using the company's proprietary systems. It's not like I needed to bring that skill with me to the role. Also, he asked an extremely vague question that was meant to reveal my business intelligence skill: "If you had to put together a report on a company, where would you look for that information?" Ok, well what what kind of report is this? What kind of company? It was awkward because, again, the person in this role would use the Palantir platform to perform this BI research. But of course that can't be the answer I give since it's not true.

The next Monday I got an automated email from the company saying that "there are no positions suitable to your background." Not terribly surprising looking back. Overall, though, I was less than impressed with the company's professionalism and my experience didn't exactly debunk any Silicon Valley stereotypes.

Interview Question – If you had to put together a report on the company, where you would look for that information?   Answer Question

Mission Specialist Interview

Mission Specialist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview Details – the process is extremely long. It took three 1-hour phone interviews. Then an all day in-person interviews for 9 hours. The interviews were with over 9 people. The last interview is with one of the co-founders. That process may have changed recently given the demand for their time. The process was a straight forward. Be sure to interview the interviewers to determine what you are getting into. They ask a lot of questions to determine if you are a good fit. This company has so many moving parts, please interview them to determine what moving part you are getting into.

Interview Question – no crazy or unexpected questions. I was interviewing for a management position. Therefore, the questions were straightforward about my passions, talents and abilities.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Do not shoot for a high salary at this company. That does not exist. Have the Palantir contact explain the current salary policies within the company and determine if you are comfortable with the arrangement.

Developer Support Team Interview

Developer Support Team
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Palantir Technologies in November 2013.

Interview Details – Very detailed and long process. Multiple phone interviews and then if you are successful you are invited to Palo Alto for a day of interviews at HQ. I was able to get through every interview, however I did not get to the founder interview. The founder interview is the last step to an offer. The interview process was very computer science oriented, despite the team I was applying for was one of the least technical teams. Many of the interviewers were not computer scientists, however I did not get the position because of a mistake I made in the algorithms interview. I understand they want the best talent, but basing an interview on a skill that is only a small portion of the team seemed weird.

Interview Question – Find the median of a list of N elements. N elements may be removed or added at any time.   View Answer

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a recruiter, whom I emailed back in a few days. HR interview went fine but the technical interview was very difficult. A few weeks later I received an email that they moved on. By far the most difficult technical interview so far.

Interview Question – I don't want to give the question away, but it was about a data structure that is almost never used in production code and which I didn't even study for.   Answer Question

Embedded Analyst Interview

Embedded Analyst

I applied online and the process took 9+ months - interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a phone call a few weeks after I applied. The whole process took probably around 9 months-- many, many interviews, usually around 8PM EST, with various people. In total, I had about 8 interviews, not including the final site visit. Each of the interviews were a little draining, consisting of about half an hour of getting-to-know-you type questions to determine if I was a jerk (their words) and then half an hour of engineering questions.

After months of phone interviews, they flew me to Palo Alto, where I had a full day of interviews with a variety of people, to include lunch with potential co-workers. The final two interviews of the day were with the two founders.

Interview Question – Any of the engineering questions, like, "If you had a client who wanted to measure the water speed in the Potomac, how would you approach that?" Google-style questions.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Palantir Technologies

Interview Details – Contacted by a university recruiter as part of their annual new-grad hiring process. Had a couple of phone interviews before they flew me out to the valley for a day's worth of interviews.

Interviews were quite tough, they grilled me on Java - something which I was not too familiar with.

The kitchen was awesome, though!

Interview Question – I couldn't answer several of the Java OOP questions that were asked. I wish I had read up more on the intricacies of access modifiers, etc.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Palantir Technologies

Interview Details – I think the interviewers are not very experienced and professional. They tend to show off their *high* IQ instead of focusing on the interviews. However, the recruiters are great and patient. They explained things well and tried their best to make the interviewee as comfortable as possible.

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Palantir Technologies in June 2014.

Interview Details – Very good experience overall.
Applied through the website, there was a coding exercise to complete within 2h.
Not too difficult if you are trained to interview and you know your algorithms well.

After a couple days, first contact with HR, a phone screen with some coding/algorithm.
Onsite a week after with interviews all day. If you are doing well, you will know along the way, engineers/hr seem to communicate between them.
At the end of the day I met with a funder and I had an offer the next day.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult, everything standard and straightforward if you know basic algorithms + data structure.   Answer Question

Product Quality Engineer Interview

Product Quality Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Palantir Technologies in June 2014.

Interview Details – I shot my resume into Palantir's job portal on a Thursday night and heard back from a recruiter <24 hours later. I was quite impressed by how it's not a black hole.

Schedule was as follows; I always heard back for the next steps within one week.

Recruiter phone screen: Wednesday

1st phone interview request: Thursday
Phone interview with PQE: Wednesday

2nd phone interview request: Tuesday
Phone interview with PQE: Friday

Invitation for on-site interview: Monday
On-site interview: Friday
Phone call from recruiter with no offer: Wednesday

The on-site interview consisted of a brief check-in with the recruiter, three 1:1 45-minute interviews with PQEs in the morning, lunch and office tour with two PQEs, then a product demo (which started late that day due to technical difficulties, so the other candidates and I were left waiting in the lobby for maybe 20 minutes). I was pulled out of the demo early to interview with a fourth PQE. After this, the recruiter came, gave me a T-shirt, and told me she would call me next week with an update. In total, I was on-site from 10am - 4pm.

No luck this time in getting a job offer. I still had a positive experience interviewing, though. The recruiter was timely in her responses, the employees I met seemed happy with their work, everyone who interviewed me gave me their undivided attention. I enjoyed the office tour -- I requested to see all the dogs, and my tour guide happily obliged. :)

Interview Question – All interviews began with behavioral/fit questions, led into a technical question (test some physical object or program, write a function), and ended with "Do you have any questions for me?" To be honest, I thought the questions were fair and not too difficult. I suppose my answers didn't stand out enough compared to other interviewers, though.   View Answer

Worked for Palantir Technologies? Contribute to the Community!