Palantir Technologies Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Quick call with a recruiter followed by a short programming test. Then a technical interview with an engineer. Questions weren't too difficult and was given a lot of great feedback after the process was over. One of the best interviewing experiences I've had.

Event Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

The interview process was incredibly disorganized. I had 2 recruiter phone screens, followed by 3 phone interviews, after which I was given an assignment to complete and was invited to the DC office (for a position in the Palo Alto office). When I asked who I was meeting, the recruiters refused to tell me. When I went to my DC office, I met with 1 person and 3 via video conference. Not a single one of these people asked me about the assignment and when I mentioned it, they all said "Oh, you had an assignment?" After my DC office interview, I had another phone conversation with the team lead, and was invited to the Palo Alto office. They certainly set me up quite nicely - booked the exact flight I wanted, provided transportation to/from the airport, put me up in a VERY NICE hotel, and covered all of my expenses. I should have seen the red flag when I got an email literally the night before I was supposed to fly out from a recruiter telling me that my entire interview (with 4 people) needed to be pushed from Thursday AM to Friday PM. I called her to address and ask if I had any other time options and she told me no. Okay then, more time in the Palo Alto area. Not a problem. Again, when I asked who I was meeting, the recruiter refused to tell me. My trip was incredibly smooth until I arrived at Palantir - I waited over 30 minutes in a waiting room for a recruiter I had never even met or discussed the positions with, who passed me off to the 1st team member I met with. She was THE ONLY person I met in person. Again, I met with the team lead via video conference as she was in NYC that week and then another person (who wasn't even on the team) who was in DC. Why didn't I meet that person when I was in DC? I have no idea. And the 4th person I was supposed to meet with - oh he (a legacy) had something come up and couldn't meet me. "Sorry! You'll skype with him next week" the recruiter said. And then she proceeded to tell me about how excited she was to go on vacation for a week with her girlfriends to Cabo and party all week. "Oh, so I'll hear from a different recruiter next week [my 4th at this point]?" Oh yes, definitely, I was told. I didn't even get to see a product demonstration as I was told I would. The recruiter took my skype info and never gave me this guy's. "He'll call you," she said. I return home, my interview time roles around and 10 minutes go by - nothing. I've emailed with the recruiter twice at this point who tells me to wait, and that he'd be calling. He finally calls, tells me he was waiting for me to call him, asks me 3 questions while very clearly multi-tasking on his computer. I'm told I'll hear within a week whether or not I've received the offer. When I don't hear anything for a week and a half, I send a follow up note to all of the recruiters I've worked with, including the one who I started with who just left for a month and the other who just got back from Cabo. Radio silence. After a few days, I get an email from another recruiter who I had never even heard of inviting me to the DC office. AGAIN. The email is literally the exact same template email I already received THE 1ST TIME they invited me to the DC office. I respond to her email telling her there must have been some kind of mistake. I try to call the DC and Palo Alto offices - the DC office tells me not everybody has phones, and the Palo Alto office tells me they are not permitted to transfer people. WHAT?! I then forward the note to all of the recruiters asking them what's going on. It's Friday AM east coast time. Radio silence. I follow up Monday and get a note from the recruiter asking if I have time to talk. I give her several options. Radio silence. I send her more options. She finally picks one. When I get on the phone with her she gives me some canned response about how I'm perfect for Palantir, but they just don't know where I fit. How about the job I applied for perhaps? This entire process was completely and utterly disorganized. I took it so seriously and brought my a-game and was tossed around like a tennis ball. If their recruiters are at all representative of the company, this tells you that they are growing way too fast and are a total mess. I would've rather not wasted three months of my time going through this experience.

Interview Questions

Interview

I was asked by a friend to apply. He seemed pretty nonchalant when I asked him about his experiences there, but he said he was after the referral bonus. They had recently ramped up the reward. Someone reached out to schedule a Skype interview and asked for my Skype name. They couldn't do it later in the day so I was forced to leave work early. It is what it is. They told me to be in business casual for the Skype call. I got a phone call while standing in front of my laptop at home in business casual for a Skype call (a call that I could have taken in the office and gone back to work afterwards). Apparently the same guy interviewed my friend a month prior. He's currently on a project to revamp their hiring process so he does the majority of the interviewing. All of the questions (yes all), were behavioral and are what you would find on About.com. It felt pretty long and inadequate in terms of gauging problem-solving abilities. The interviewer mumble inaudibly and I had to ask him to repeat himself a numerous times. I guess it was good practice considering I don't often get asked the more generic interview questions. Usually I'm asked a hypothetical or conceptual question to test my analytical aptitude. At the end, the interviewer asked for current contacts including my current boss. I was very reluctant to give him this information and had never been asked that by an interviewer so early in the process. I got an e-mail saying that they wouldn't be moving forward with me.

Interview Questions

• What are your three greatest strengths? Three greatest weaknesses? What project are you most proud of?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview

Round of phone interviews, then an obnoxiously time consuming data test (basically an analytics entry exam to weed people out), multiple in person interviews. After all of this, the Founders get a whack at you. You could crush every level of the interview process and then the Founders could meet you for 5 minutes and decide you don't fit into the Palantir cult. More power to them, but after the interview process I didn't want to work there.

Interview Questions

• lots of questions about different types and ways of organizing data.   1 Answer

Product Expert Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got a response maybe 1.5 weeks later. Scheduled an initial phone screen with recruiter who asked about my background and "why Palantir?". A week later had a technical phone interview with a Product Expert. He asked a conceptual question, a simple coding questions (on CodePair) and, again, "why Palantir?".

Interview Questions

• Conceptual: Given credit card transaction data in which compromised cards are flagged, how would you the identify the most likely sources (merchants) of credit card breach?   Answer Question
    • Coding: Simple string manipulation question.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview

Telephone Interview with Recruiter: Asked questions about my background and interest in the company. No oddball/fun questions asked. Recruiter asked about other opportunities on my horizon so that company could expedite interviewing which I appreciated. Telephone Interview #2 with Manager on Team: Asked about my background and behavioral questions.

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied online and a couple days later heard back from a recruiter who was really nice and asked me about my interests and background. The next day I got an email scheduling a phone interview, I was really excited for the interview but disappointed when the lady was not only really late calling me but sounded completely bored the whole time. She didn't ask me about my interests at all and when I asked her questions about the company like "Is Palantir currently profitable?" she didn't know any any of them. She told me they were trying to give a new face to their UI then we launched into the technical interview. The technical interview wasn't front end at all though! It like a really vague hashmap/linked list problem that really threw me since I was expecting JS questions for a frontend interview. Overall she was pretty rude and I decided pretty much at the beginning of the interview I would never want to work there

Interview Questions

• A question involving an API's integration with hash map where the buckets of hash map are made up of linked lists   1 Answer

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Washington, DC) in July 2015.

Interview

I was recruited through LinkedIn. Had a phone interview with the recruiter and then exchanged some follow up emails. During our interview the recruiter failed to inform me that the job required 50% travel, which is a key piece of information that should have been delivered up front. Once I discovered that I cancelled the next interview. The next step would have been an interview with another Technical Project Manager, and then a visit onsite to meet with a team and conduct some face-to-face interviews.

Interview Questions

• The first interview is basically just a chance from the recruiter to explain about Palantir and then offer some high-level explanation of the job. I asked way more questions of the recruiter than they asked of me. Hopefully the next stage of the interview process would be a little more in-depth.   Answer Question

Site Reliability Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Washington, DC) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview process was pretty straightforward but longer than it needed to be. I was referred by a friend of a friend. After not hearing from a recruiter for over a week the person who referred me messaged the recruiting team again to see what was up. 1. The phone screening was just an introduction to the company and some of the roles available with the recruiter. My referral actually was a Deployment Strategist, but I interviewed for the Site Reliability Operations Manager role (as listed above). 2. A few days later, I did a follow-up interview with the recruiter that was behavioral and focused on my experiences (e.g., how much do you interact with clients, tell me about your background, what kind of projects have you been on, what kind of person are you on a team, etc.). I was going to move forward, but the recruiter was unsure of how I should proceed because I was referred to by a Deployment Strategist but also expressed interest in the Business Operations Development Analyst role. The recruiter did not know much about this role. Long story short, it took about 1.5 weeks (July 4 weekend might have had something to do with it) for me to get some better responses about that role beyond what was on the website. 3. After reviewing my resume further, the recruiting team wanted me to change gears entirely and interview for the Site Reliability Operations Manager role. Which was strange, but I went with it. I did yet another phone screening call, now with the recruiter for the SRO team. It was a mash-up of the first two. 4. A few days later, I finally did my first interview with a non-recruiting person. I interviewed with a member of the SRO team in the role I was applying for -- he had been on the job for just about a year. Questions revolved mostly around how much time do you spend working with clients, how would you bring yourself up to speed as a non-technical person working with engineers, what would you do in this situation, what do you know about this role and what we do, etc. It was slightly more in depth but straightforward and informational at the same time. Two business days later, I receive an e-mail from another recruiter saying they would like me to come on site to meet the team and do a final round interview. For whatever reason, the soonest availability was 1.5 weeks later. I didn't question it and just scheduled the interview for that day. 5. This is where the already long, drawn out recruiting process of calls and redirection went furthest south. I came on site and met the recruiter who then immediately escorted me to a conference room where I would be doing the interviews. I was told earlier that part of my interview would be with the SRO team in person, and I would also be doing some calls with Palantir employees in Palo Alto. This was not the case. It was just three back-to-back video 30 minute calls by myself in a conference room. I didn't know who I was interviewing with or where they were in the organization. There wasn't a lot of structure to the interviews -- just some "name a time you did this, how do you interact with difficult clients, in terms of project management would you be comfortable moving from a waterfall to agile approach, what are your weaknesses, what are your strengths, why are you leaving your current job, etc." standard questions that I thought I had aced in my other calls. The interviewers, who were already hard to actually interact with since they were video calls, were typing or on their phones part of the time. All of them. They seemed distracted and aloof. I'd be giving an answer, and they'd be looking down doing something else. My third and final interview was with someone who seemed more senior. He asked me two, maybe three, mundane questions before he asked "do you have any questions for me". That one was barely a 15 minute call. I found it strange that I could go through a recruiting process of six weeks and end up meeting only one person for five minutes. The recruiter. During my tour of the office, I saw dozens upon dozens of people out and about -- odd that I wasn't able to interview with a single person on the SRO team (or anyone, for that matter) in Washington, DC. I was escorted out after the interviews and received a "Palantir goody bag" upon leaving. It seemed almost patronizing. I heard back the following evening that they decided to "move forward with other candidates that better fit the team's needs", which is code for "we didn't want you" in that short of a turnaround (unless, of course, they actually did interview more people the next day). I thanked the recruiter for all the help throughout the process and asked if there was any feedback or pointers / room for improvement that the team would like to share. In past interviews, the recruiter would typically let me know why I didn't get it or what happened. This time, I didn't get a response. Overall, lengthy and negative. Just like this review.

Interview Questions

• Q: What are your weaknesses? What are your strengths? Q: Why are you leaving your current company? Q: What do you know about this role and what do you think it is that we do? Q: How do you interact with clients, and how have you managed working with difficult clients? Q: How would you convince a client to try a Palantir approach over a methodology that they have used in the past?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online, the job description is some fancy essay that does not provide any insight into the position. Only had a phone interview, and it was really basic behavioral questions to evaluate your objectives and your interest in the firm. The recruiter was a robot and always replied with the same 'perfect' or 'that's a GREAT question'.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral stuff, why you want to leave current job, why Palanthir, give an example of a project you saw on the website and why it's interesting to you. She'll give examples of projects the team has actually worked on and request your feedback.   Answer Question