Palantir Technologies Interview Questions

Updated Jul 6, 2015

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Quick call with a recruiter followed by a short programming test. Then a technical interview with an engineer. Questions weren't too difficult and was given a lot of great feedback after the process was over. One of the best interviewing experiences I've had.

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview

1. Spoke with recruiter on the phone.
    2. Two phone interviews, one with a simple coding exercise and another with more of a data science type of case study.
    3. Flew out to NYC for five consecutive on-site interviews. One coding exercise, two open-ended domain-specific case studies, one abstract probability problem, and one algorithmic problem.

Overall, I thought the process was fair, although I felt the probability problem was a tough ask for an on-the-spot interview. I asked some of my smartest friends that problem and most struggled with it (maybe that is the point, though). I just don't think it's a good interview question (though it's a great problem). Unlike a lot of algorithmic problems, it's not a problem that can be tackled in multiple ways... either you get the key insights, or you don't. It's a math problem with one solution, and it's a very thinky problem which isn't really conducive to discussion.

Of the final 5 interviews, I had maybe 2 good interviews, 2 mediocre, and 1 below average. I felt like I was on the borderline throughout the process, and I did not progress to the final round (which was apparently a 'culture fit' interview with more senior people).

It was a positive experience for me. I got a free trip to New York and got to visit some friends there. People were professional and kind, but perhaps a tad too full of themselves and the company. Ultimately I don't think the company would have been a good fit for me or them, so I think the process worked.

Interview Questions

• various questions described above   1 Answer

QA Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview

I initially had a phone screen with HR to determine whether or not I had the skills that matched the job description. After that I had an interview with a member from the QA team who asked about my background and threw me a problem solving question. He asked me how I would go about testing an elevator.

Team Administrative Or Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

I interviewed in early December via a phone and and an in person interview and they passed on me, From what I understand I had good feedback, but I just didn't make the cut.
    They reached out to me again June of this year to re-interview me with 3 Skype interviews and essentially wasted my time again. I was really excited about this company and their mission statement as a whole. If they didn't think I was qualified in the first place then they should not have re-interviewed me and got my hopes up. What a disappointment!! I'm sure my initial feeling for this company is still valid, I felt very good about it. However, they really need to figure out their recruiting and interview process. It is atrocious!

Interview Questions

• none - They really just asked me who I was as a person. Ultimately I thought the first 2 interviews went well, but when it came down to Jubal Stout, he swiftly kicked me out.   1 Answer

Site Reliability Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies (Washington, DC).

Interview

Went through a HR phone screen, a phone screen with a member of the team, followed by a trip to their offices to interview with another 3-4 members of the team. The team typically travels, so even the in-site interviews were all via video.

The interviews are for the most part simple questions about you, what you want to do in the future, and how you would handle certain situations. Make sure that you demonstrate clear, real, and unwavering interest in this specific role.

HR was great and was very responsive and communicable throughout the entire process. The team moves fast, and I enjoyed the experience.

Interview Questions

• If a client is unhappy with the engineer, who do you side with?   Answer Question

Site Reliability Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

I'm currently employed as a Project Manager - loving my job and have great salary and benefits. I'm not actively looking for something new. Palantir contacted me via LinkedIn.

The recruiter and interview scheduler were very friendly and organized - great first impressions. The first interview was a phone screen/interview with the recruiter - went well. Second interview was a phone interview with a current New York Site Reliability Operations Analyst - went very well - he had great questions and we talked for 1.5 hours - I was inspired and interested at this point.

Third interview was a series of one-on-one on-site 30 minute interviews (they flew me to DC from NYC because the managers for NYC sit there) with four people: one more Site Reliability Operations Analyst, two managers, and the director of the department.

This last series of interviews turned out to be a big mess. It felt as if only one person read my resume ahead of time and two of the four people I met with were late to meet with me (so, our half hour together turned into 20 mins). Everyone I met with was generally friendly but seemed super stressed out. Positive side note: the offices were really nice, lunch is provided, and there isn't a dress code.

Further description of why this last series of interviews wasn't great: the group hadn't prepared anything substantive to really determine if it was a good match - and they almost ironically 'interviewed for cultural fit' - using casual conversation - which I enjoy but we didn't talk about anything work related so I left without a clear idea of what I'd actually be doing there - even after trying several times to find out more. I asked one person to describe a "day in the life for this role" and he simply replied, "the job is too variable to answer that question" and cut me off - kind of baffling since this is a really common interviewee question that most people are prepared to answer with common tasks of the position.

Lastly, the KICKER - this same person asked me what job I was interviewing for - I almost thought he was joking. Yes, he was doing a quick hello to meet me and determine overall fit - but this kind of basic prep is required in my opinion. Someone needs to remind him that his team is emailing people on LinkedIn trying to fill this position - I would recommend he come prepared - people aren't knocking down the doors to work for you! He was quite pretentious - really a downer and poorly represented Palantir.

I left the interviews feeling a little deflated about Palantir. If an offer came - I was prepared to simply max out the salary to an amount I couldn't refuse. For me to leave my current job (Project Manager at a profitable/stable/major NYC company with sweet benefits) would require a huge increase over my current salary to justify the obvious stress and poor management.

Later that week - the recruiter was very kind to call me personally to let me know it wasn't a match and gave me some feedback about why - he said the team really liked me overall but two of the interviewers said I tried to drive the conversations too much and that this might not be the right kind of person to put in front of their clients.

Palantir - thanks for contacting me - and I'm sorry it didn't work out!

Interview Questions

• What's your greatest weakness?   1 Answer
    • Prepare for not having strict questions - the team didn't really ask me anything substantive about my experience or skills.   1 Answer
    • What is important to you about project management? Describe your PM style.   Answer Question

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process starts with an "NDA" asking the candidate to sign away many rights unrelated to disclosure, including being able to use Palantir's name in any context (such as writing this review). Opting out of this step terminates the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to sign this NDA which includes a clause that we know is broken by most of our applicants but we don't sue them for?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in June 2015.

Interview

The process itself was pretty smooth. The actual interview started late and wrapped early, and it was hard to tell which way it was going although the questions were not particularly tough and most were not relevant to the role. The interviewer did not seem interested at all in any of my professional experience or how any of it could be relevant to the role or the company. He seemed very arrogant.

Interview Questions

• I am a cave man and I have just emerged from the cave after thousands and thousands of years and everyone is talking about these things called computers. Explain to me what these are and how they work.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process took about 3 weeks. I talked to one recruiter, then another, then did a Skype interview with someone on the team. The interview was pretty basic. List three weaknesses with examples and three strengths with examples. Where do you want to be in ten years. I am mainly just confused by my interview because the recruiter kept saying "perfect" then decided not to move forward with my application. They seem to want something very specific but I have no clue what it is.

Business Operations & Strategy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY).

Interview

Short introductory interview, followed by Excel test, followed by onsite day.

The process was fairly intense - the people were very nice and friendly, but the process really digs deep into who you are and what you value. It wasn't really the type of interview you could prepare for or "game" - you just had to talk about your past experiences and hope that they liked what they saw.

Interview Questions

• Strengths and weaknesses, career goals, some hypothetical analytical problems. A lot of focus on past experiences.   Answer Question