Palantir Technologies

Updated Nov 21, 2014

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Had 1 pre screen with a recruiter, 2 phone calls with Deployment Strategists, then an onsite visit where I met with 2 more Deployment strategists and an engineer. Overall, it was a mix of behavioral, product understanding, and data type case questions. The product type questions were trying to see how well you understand what their product is and how it could be implemented in another company. The data type case questions took that a step further by asking what types of data sets you would need, what the value would be and so forth and eventually tying it all together. Didn't receive any brain teasers. I thought overall the questions were pretty fair and were really just trying to figure out if I have the mindset to do the job. The people in general were pretty nice although all but one seemed very rushed.

Interview Questions
    • Imagine Kayak.com had no one to analyze or make sense of their data. How would you show them the value in their data? I.e. how do you get from all the data they have to some kind of monetary value from it.   Answer Question

Business Intelligence Researcher Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Applied online and received an email request for a phone interview in about 10 days. A team member of the Business Intelligence Research called me and clearly had not read my resume at all. He asked me a great deal about what products I wrote for my former jobs- normal interview questions. He said I would hear back from HR in one or two days. After three days, I emailed HR asking for an update and she immediately replied saying that I was not considered a good fit for Palantir.

Forward Deployed Software Engineer Interview

After an automated code challenge and short screening phone call I was invited out to their Singapore office for an in person interview. Palantir paid for my flight from Delhi and put me up in a very nice hotel. The interviewers were well-prepared and pleasant. The interview was about two hours long, with 2 different interviewers. The interview questions were difficult. The first was a whiteboard question, the second was a Java programming question.

Interview Questions
    • The Java challenge was to devise a representation of an NxN tic-tac-toe game board, with the variation you only need to tokens M in a row to win (in any direction), such that a win can be verified in O(1) time.   View Answer

Deployment Strategist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Process was straightforward, one phone screen and then invited to the office for a series of three interviews with other DS employees. Interviews were balanced culture questions and analytical questions. No brain teasers, the questions were mission focused and required a pretty in depth understanding of how their software worked, which they provide you with before hand.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through a typical installation of our product at a client on a very short timescale   Answer Question

Development Strategist Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Round 1: Telephonic
    Focus more on behavioral and analytical questions.
    Round 2: 1 on 1 interview at the company office
    Keep the domain knowledge handy. Could be asked about it!

Some candidates might have to go through another round.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked analytical questions.Practice those on the internet!   Answer Question

Quality Infrastructure Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

I went to a campus career fair and gave them my resume, and received an email shortly thereafter to schedule a phone interview. They do two phone interviews followed by an onsite interview. The phone interview consisted of a couple questions about myself and my background, followed by two technical questions, one coding-based and the other systems-testing-based.

Interview Questions
    • Suppose you have a linux system with many different clients whose data is either locked or unlocked. The data unlocks automatically after a certain period of time, after which a commmand is issued to immediately relock it (assuming nothing manual is done). Clients cannot access other clients' data unless it is unlocked. How would you test this system?   Answer Question

Front Desk Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

There are a series of interviews. I had a phone interview with a local person with a similar job to the one I was applying for, then a second phone interview with an EA at the headquarters. After that I was told the next step would be a on site interview, then a trip to headquarters to meet the top of the company.

It wasn't hard, I just felt like they were looking for certain answers. It felt like a test I didn't know how to pass.

Missions Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

I applied online, a few weeks later I was contacted via email for a phone screening. I had about a 30 minute phone call with a team member who got to "know" me and see what I was about. Another, recruiter called me and asked me more technical and analytical based questions. I moved on to the next process which involved working a complex analytical problem in a set amount of time. I spent about 72 hours working the problem and submitted my results. I was informed about a week later that my analytical capability was not quite what they were looking for. I was thanked for my participation and told to re-apply.

Interview Questions
    • Explain what you believe the right balance is between being technical and functional as a manager?   View Answer

Deployment Strategist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in November 2014.

A recruiter initially reached out to me after finding my online portfolio. After a 15ish minute HR phone screen, I was set up for my first interview. The first round was a 60 minute interview with a Deployment Strategist that was part technical part problem solving. Nothing too crazy if you have a technical background. I got positive feedback from that interview and was asked to do a project using Palantir software. After the project was completed, I had another phone interview to discuss the project. I was not selected to move on past this round unfortunately. If I would have been, however, the next step was onsite interviews.

Interview Questions
    • How would you prove to me that the servers for Netflix are not on the moon?   Answer Question

Deployment Strategist Interview

I had three phone calls with Palantir. First was a recruiter screen - it was the most passive phone conversation I have ever had. She would ask me questions, I would respond, and then there would be a 10 second awkward pause, and then she would ask another question. There was no engagement on her side. This was off-putting, but I decided to continue with the process. Second was an interview with a deployment strategist. He was very friendly and asked a mix of behavioral questions and brain teasers. This was the only positive part of my interviewing experience with Palantir. Next interview was with another deployment strategist. She was incredibly cold and difficult to converse with. She also seemed to lack basic social skills -- for example, upon calling me, she immediately launched into a brain teaser - no basic introduction at all about her background or herself. This was odd and off-putting. Additionally, when I asked her about the strengths and weaknesses about Palantir culture -- her response for weakness was essentially if there is any part of Palantir's culture which you don't like, then there's an issue with you, not the culture. This sort of defensive attitude made me certain I did not wish to work at Palantir/continue with the process.

Interview Questions
    • How would you map any number between 0 and 1 to the range 10 to 100, preserving relative spacing   Answer Question