Palantir Technologies

407 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Deployment Strategist Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview Details – Had a telephone round with an HR person and then another followup call with a Deployment Strategist based out of Palo Alto.

Was quite disappointed with the interview, having come from an analytical background the interview was pretty much strengths / weaknesses / what do you want to do in 5 years. I have a decent amount of work experience and pretty much crushed all these. Either way, the interesting thing is that from the kind of background and skills I gleaned from the interviewer, this did not really seem like an analytically challenging job. The role seems to be basically getting clients to format their data in a particular way. From reading about the company I was fully expecting a slew of brain teasers and this interview really caught me off guard. When I got the rejection email I was quite stunned. I also emailed the interviewer asking for feedback and got no reply.

After some introspection, perhaps I should have realized I would not come off as a good cultural fit when someone probably 22 years old describes the office culture as "we have like, beers after work and stuff". From the job description it sounded like the job was a good mix of analytical and business skills, and I think I deserved at least a face to face meeting given the strength of my background, but maybe I don't understand the candidate type they are looking for.

Interview Question – What do you see yourself doing in 5 years.   Answer Question

Business Development Interview

McLean, VA

Interview Details – WORST recruiters I have ever interacted with. I have worked for Facebook and Google before interviewing at Palantir and haven't seen such unprofessionalism. The onsite interview was actually challenging with each of the interviewers who were quite pleasant and definitely intelligent.

I think witnessing hearing the recruiters talk about other candidates in the same room as me while I was waiting made me feel uneasy. At one point, the two girls were laughing at one of the candidates and said 'she's probably not going to make it'. There was a dog in the lobby that defecated right near where we were all sitting which was quite gross and embarrassing. The candidates and I just all stood up and move to a different corner of the lobby.

While waiting for my recruiter to close me out, I could hear the people outside saying that she wasn't around because she was late coming back from the gym from some class. I sat in the interview room for about 35-45 minutes with random non-recruiters asking me if I was ok or needed anything. Finally my recruiter came in, she was all sweaty and still in gym clothes and said she was late from a meeting which I knew was crap.

Unfortunately I didn't get an offer, I actually knew I wasn't when one of the other recruiters said something outside the door "we're just waiting to close her out, she's not going to make it".

I'm ok with not getting an offer from this company. I truly appreciate how awesome the recruiters at Google and Facebook are, and left this company with a not so pleasant experience.

Interview Question – Explain how I would model data for a changing market in a specific industry.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview Details – An recruiter contacted me first and ask me to introduce myself. She introduced to role to me in details and asked the relevant experiences.

Interview Question – Just the phone screening.   Answer Question

Forward Deployed Engineer Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Palantir Technologies in November 2012.

Interview Details – I met an early employee of Palantir at a conference and he put me into the recruiting system. We did a phone interview, and then scheduled an in person interview. They paid for my travel to attend a four hour interview process. Others have described the process as being a cattle call, and I found that to be an apt and accurate description.

The interview process was a big production but in the end didn't have much substance. They flew me all the way over there, and then didn't seem to actually have any real questions to ask me once I was there. This is a problem that I have run into interviewing as a senior statistician. They want to give a hard technical interview, but don't seem to know what questions to ask someone like me. Even though they ended each interview chunk with a 'do you have any questions' moment, the interviewers were so clearly rushed and frazzled I didn't really feel like questions were all that welcome.

The whole process felt more like applying for grad school at Stanford than applying for an actual job. They seemed more concerned with assessing if I was a 'winner' (with all of the implied superficiality and vagueness) than whether or not I would be a good addition to their team. This was kind of sad too, because everyone I talked to was soooo tired. They really seemed like they could use some help.

Even though everyone tried really hard to be nice, and they were quite generous with my travel accommodations, the overall process was pretty demoralizing. I left feeling judged but not really measured. That seems to be the Silicon Valley culture these days.

Interview Question – Design an iPhone ap.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview Details – Got ask for a phone screen - they had found my resume on my school's job posting site. Got a phone call and went through a discussion about my resume and experience. Ended with a short technical question. Even though I got the technical question right quickly, later I received an email saying they had decided to go with other candidates.

Interview Question – Palantir has not set working hours. How do you feel about this?   View Answer

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Palantir Technologies in November 2013.

Interview Details – Initiated contact at a career fair. They asked me a technical question at the fair. The question was: You have a set of (time,value) pairs. How can you find the first and last values in the time interval [a,b]. Answer: You do binary search. Then I was called to an on campus interview. I didn't get further than that.

Interview Question – Print a binary tree using breadth first search, i.e. print all numbers level by level on a tree. Add a line break between each level.   View Answer

Mission Specialist Interview

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview Details – Sent my resume through employee referral. A few weeks later, heard back from recruiter about phone screen. Phone screen went well but was chaotic, had to be rescheduled and I had to inform multiple recruiters that my interviewer hadn't called. Then there was a mini-project to run an analysis with Palantir's software. This wasn't hard but lost track of time since the software is so cool you could explore all day. Got invited to an on-site interview, and was expecting brainteasers but got none. We only talked high level about Palantir, my background, and what mission specialists do. A week later, I got a call from the recruiter saying I hadn't gotten the job. I asked for feedback but they said they couldn't provide any.

Interview Question – None, but the lack of difficult questions was unexpected.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

Interviewed at Palantir Technologies

Interview Details – Interviewer seemed a bit condescending.

Interview Questions

• Given a stream of integers, all of which come in pairs except for one, find the integer without a duplicate.   View Answers (2)
  • Sort an array where each item is at most k indices from its position in the sorted array. What's the run time?   View Answer
  • Given a number k, and an array of integers A, find two integers in the array which sum to k.

Do this in linear time and O(n) space, iterating over the array exactly once.

Now do this in constant space and O(n log n) time.
      View Answer

Build Systems Engineer Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Palantir Technologies in March 2014.

Interview Details – Received a HR phone call a week after the application. Then, in the very next day had a techinical phone interview which was fairly easy. Two day after, received an email invitation to their HQ. Met three people from different roles. Had a product demo in the afternoon.

Interview Question – Suppose you have a DAG to represent the dependency map of a system. How can you write a program to update one package and all related dependencies?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Forward Deployed Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Palantir Technologies in January 2014.

Interview Details – An employee submitted my resume, I got a call from a recruiter, scheduled non-technical interview with a senior recruiter, after that a technical interview with a Forward Deployed Software Engineer.

I was not impressed with the interviewer. When I started asking questions about the programming project, he was not giving straight answers and finished with: "Just write the program". Strange - the process of elaborating the specs should be an important part of a programming interview.

As other people already noted, there is a striking change in the recruiter's attitude after you've been rejected. She sounded very sweet when she was interested, but the rejection letter which I received in response to my inquiry was just a formal canned letter from the company. This makes me think that "friendly atmosphere" is only for show. I did receive rejection letters from other companies before and they were personal and friendly.

Interview Question – Technical interview was quite simple.
1. What you've been up to lately?
2. Describe HashMap for a layman
3. RAM vs HD for a layman
4. Write a program in any language to capitalize words in a string. Used callabedit.com
  View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Palantir Technologies

Worked for Palantir Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Palantir Technologies interview questions and advice. All 407 interview reviews posted anonymously by Palantir Technologies employees and interview candidates.