Palantir Technologies

Average Difficulty
458 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Palantir Technologies

Interview Details – I had an HR phone screen and a technical phone screen before a day-long onsite. This was my first experience interviewing with a bigger company as a software engineer. Onsite questions were mostly algorithms-focused. I'd call the questions moderately difficult. I don't have CS background, and only had a couple months of teaching myself algorithms part-time at that point. If I'd had had a little more study time under my belt, I think I would have gotten the offer.

Interview Question – Give 3 distinct algorithms to find the K largest values in a list of N items.   View Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Palantir Technologies in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through Linkedin.com and received an email short time later to answer three (3) questions that were somewhat difficult. After submitting my answers, I was asked to come on-site for an interview with the Administrative Operations Team and I met with three (3) admins. I felt the first admin was somewhat rude when I was answering her FIRST question she seemed like she was not even listening. I don't understand why I was even interviewing with admins who have no HR experience. Seem like more of a favoritism interview. The second and third admins were a lot better and I felt that I did well. However, after writing a thank you letter I received a automated system email stating I will not move forward - you would think you would receive a direct email from the recruiter to keep it more personal.

Interview Question – How did you hear about Palantir? What technologies do you use that you would recommend to a colleague? Where do you see yourself in five years?   Answer Question

Embedded Analyst Interview

Embedded Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview Details – Phone interview -> in person interview -> in person interview -> founder interview.

Standard non-programmer tech questions. Less focus on brain teasers and more focus on reading and understanding data (they brought in papers with charts for me to read and interpret). The (last) founder interview actually has a fairly low pass through rate, so don't think that meeting the founder = offer.

Only problem was entire process lasted a few months for me - you need to stay on top of the recruiting department (through your referrer most likely) to keep the process moving quickly.

Interview Question – What is your super power?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They matched my salary - no problems.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interviewed at Palantir Technologies

Interview Details – interviewers are very friends and typical bay area software engineers. They are very sharp and helpful during interview process. Most of interview questions are algorithmic. The hiring process is thorough.

Interview Question – medium   Answer Question

Mission Specialist Interview

Mission Specialist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview Details – the process is extremely long. It took three 1-hour phone interviews. Then an all day in-person interviews for 9 hours. The interviews were with over 9 people. The last interview is with one of the co-founders. That process may have changed recently given the demand for their time. The process was a straight forward. Be sure to interview the interviewers to determine what you are getting into. They ask a lot of questions to determine if you are a good fit. This company has so many moving parts, please interview them to determine what moving part you are getting into.

Interview Question – no crazy or unexpected questions. I was interviewing for a management position. Therefore, the questions were straightforward about my passions, talents and abilities.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Do not shoot for a high salary at this company. That does not exist. Have the Palantir contact explain the current salary policies within the company and determine if you are comfortable with the arrangement.

Business Intelligence Interview

Business Intelligence

Interview Details – Applied online was invited for a phone interview about a week later. They interviews are scheduled on Pacific time, which is fine with me, as it allows greater leeway for me (EST) to take calls after my own workday is done. The recruiter and I arrange a phone interview for later that week at 6:30 eastern/ 3:30 pacific time. That afternoon, the recruiter emails me to explain that the person I was supposed to chat with is actually in the New York office (to which I applied anyway) and can't accommodate the prescribed interview time after all. To me this was a huge oversight on the part of the interview coordinator, but I really want this job so I agree to postpone the interview until the same time one week later, when I will speak to someone else.

When the hour of the phone interview finally arrived a week later, they didn't actually call me until 45 minutes after the start time. The interview went okay for the most part, but the interviewer was really rushing through to make up for the lost time (which is their fault). Part of the company's instructions for taking interviews is to prepare lots of questions to ask, but in his haste to get through the call, the interview only let me ask a handful before saying he had to go. I didn't exactly feel like I was set up for success.

The content of the phone interview was pretty broad. We talked about my background, how I found the position and why I want to work at Palantir in general. Things got kind of hairy when he asked about my tech background - for a non-technical position - and my answers clearly didn't impress him and his Silicon Valley expectations. I thought that was kind of unfair because, again, this was for a non-technical position, and the person in the role would mostly be using the company's proprietary systems. It's not like I needed to bring that skill with me to the role. Also, he asked an extremely vague question that was meant to reveal my business intelligence skill: "If you had to put together a report on a company, where would you look for that information?" Ok, well what what kind of report is this? What kind of company? It was awkward because, again, the person in this role would use the Palantir platform to perform this BI research. But of course that can't be the answer I give since it's not true.

The next Monday I got an automated email from the company saying that "there are no positions suitable to your background." Not terribly surprising looking back. Overall, though, I was less than impressed with the company's professionalism and my experience didn't exactly debunk any Silicon Valley stereotypes.

Interview Question – If you had to put together a report on the company, where you would look for that information?   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a recruiter, whom I emailed back in a few days. HR interview went fine but the technical interview was very difficult. A few weeks later I received an email that they moved on. By far the most difficult technical interview so far.

Interview Question – I don't want to give the question away, but it was about a data structure that is almost never used in production code and which I didn't even study for.   Answer Question

Developer Support Team Interview

Developer Support Team
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Palantir Technologies in November 2013.

Interview Details – Very detailed and long process. Multiple phone interviews and then if you are successful you are invited to Palo Alto for a day of interviews at HQ. I was able to get through every interview, however I did not get to the founder interview. The founder interview is the last step to an offer. The interview process was very computer science oriented, despite the team I was applying for was one of the least technical teams. Many of the interviewers were not computer scientists, however I did not get the position because of a mistake I made in the algorithms interview. I understand they want the best talent, but basing an interview on a skill that is only a small portion of the team seemed weird.

Interview Question – Find the median of a list of N elements. N elements may be removed or added at any time.   View Answer

Embedded Analyst Interview

Embedded Analyst

I applied online and the process took 9+ months - interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a phone call a few weeks after I applied. The whole process took probably around 9 months-- many, many interviews, usually around 8PM EST, with various people. In total, I had about 8 interviews, not including the final site visit. Each of the interviews were a little draining, consisting of about half an hour of getting-to-know-you type questions to determine if I was a jerk (their words) and then half an hour of engineering questions.

After months of phone interviews, they flew me to Palo Alto, where I had a full day of interviews with a variety of people, to include lunch with potential co-workers. The final two interviews of the day were with the two founders.

Interview Question – Any of the engineering questions, like, "If you had a client who wanted to measure the water speed in the Potomac, how would you approach that?" Google-style questions.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Palantir Technologies

Interview Details – Contacted by a university recruiter as part of their annual new-grad hiring process. Had a couple of phone interviews before they flew me out to the valley for a day's worth of interviews.

Interviews were quite tough, they grilled me on Java - something which I was not too familiar with.

The kitchen was awesome, though!

Interview Question – I couldn't answer several of the Java OOP questions that were asked. I wish I had read up more on the intricacies of access modifiers, etc.   Answer Question

Worked for Palantir Technologies? Contribute to the Community!