Palantir Technologies

Updated Dec 17, 2014
Updated Dec 17, 2014

3.4

Business Operations and Strategy Interview

Started off with a "coffee chat" at the office.

Interviewer showed up late, and did not offer me coffee for the "coffee chat". Typical round of behavioral questions (i.e. your motivations, background, etc.)

Was not asked to return - found out later that the interviewer actually had someone in the employee referral program for the position (5-10k incentive) - got passed up so he could get a the referral bonus (conflict of interest much?)

Marketing - Unspecified Interview

I met with 2 people - at the same time - in the kitchen. It lasted about an hour. They had attitudes like they were better than everyone else, and it was a privilege to work there. They didn't have a specific job in mind so they asked me what I wanted to do and were pretty blank after that point. I asked them if that's what they had an opening for and they said it was exactly what they were looking for.

I heard that they drag their heels which is what they must have been doing with me. I took a job at an amazing startup and to this day have not heard back from Palantir with either an "I'm sorry we don't want you" or a "we love you please come in for a 2nd round" message.

Interview Questions
    • They asked about a problem I've encountered at my last job and how I fixed it.   Answer Question

Financial Operations Analyst Interview

3 interviews total.

Pros
    -All interviewers very nice and intelligent. Asked more soft skill / fit questions than technical skills
    - team seemed to be very close knit
    - fast moving / a lot of responsibility
    - small finance group(10 - 15 ppl) for multi billion dollar company

Cons
    - a bit unprofessional, scattered process. The interviewer missed my email twice and failed to notify me beforehand both times

Interview Questions
    • What was a large challenge you have taken on in the last year?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

I applied online. Then I was asked to do an online challenge with 90 min. It was a bit difficulty. It was about the "magic box". Then I was moved on. I received a email to get a phone interview. The interview used the hackrank.

Interview Questions
    • The question is very famous about the merge intervals.   View Answer

Evangelism Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

I applied online, and within 3 weeks received an e-mail from a general HR rep. asking when I would be available for a call to discuss the position. We arranged a time 1 week later. During the call, I was first informed about the position; this outlined the job description given on the website, and also provided new information. I was then asked to cover my professional experience, technical experience, and if I had any questions of my own. The last question I had was about next steps. Evidently, there were 4 stages in the hiring process. First was this screening call. Happily, I didn't have to wait to learn if I moved on to the second stage. I was told that shortly after the call I would receive an e-mail containing instructions to complete a project. The goal of the project was to assess my analytical and creative skills. The call then ended, our conversation lasting about half an hour. For the project, they claim it will take 2-3 hours to complete, and it is to be done within 5 days of receiving the e-mail. (I recommend giving yourself plenty time, and begin immediately. Palantir's software is built for places like the CIA or JP Morgan, not your personal computer. I experienced a lot of lag, and I believe it was because it was demanding on my desktop.) It consists of 2 tasks: navigate their software to answer questions, and then come up with your own question and use the software to explore for insights; then you are to put your work into a PowerPoint, and e-mail it in. There's no way to prepare for this. It's sink or swim. It's not like the software is available to practice with ahead of time. You have to be very intuitive, and again, creative. Within 2 hours of handing my work back to the general HR rep., I heard from a new recruiter, requesting a time for me to chat on the phone with someone from team itself - third stage. Within a week, I had this interview; another half an hour conversation. As with before, I was given an outline of the work they do, and what specifically the role I was interviewing for entailed. Then I was asked why I was interested in the team, what my strengths were, what other ways I would use the software, as in, like how I used it for my project, and if I had any questions. A week later I heard from the initial HR rep., saying the team decided to continue with other candidates with stronger technical backgrounds. Palantir takes only the best of the best of the best. Making it so far into the process means a lot. Clearly at that stage anyone is more than capable of doing the job, it's just a matter of what the team needs at that time. I mention this because it is stressed in the job posting that technical skills are not only not required, but are not expected - so long as you're willing to learn. In this case, evidently they needed more expertise in that area. Put another way, it wasn't a fit for me yet. The fourth and final stage would have been an in-person interview with the team.

Interview Questions
    • N/A

I thought it was very straightforward, and fair. See above for the few questions I got.

Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Can't remember first interview, standard coding tests. Secondary interview was in office, with four people. Various questions asked, usually coding/algorithms. Pretty basic things, know the runtime of your algorithms, make sure everything is in smallest big O possible.

Sample questions were: correct a series of code,
    Find the largest algorithmic progression
    Regular palindrome shenanigans
    Some coding question that was effectively "Merge Two Sorted lists"

Interview Questions
    • Disjoint algorithmic progression: given a set of numbers in no given order, find the longest algorithmic progression, assuming you can skip items as you desire.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Met them at the university career fair, and was scheduled to have a phone interview. The phone interview was 45 minutes long, and I was progressively harder questions about finding integers in an array.

Financial Operations Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in December 2014.

Phone call with an analyst that lasted about 20 minutes. Mostly behavioral stuff: why Palantir?

An HR rep had sent over a link to their website so the interviewer asked me if I'd seen any of the videos on the website and which one I liked the best and why.

What it was about the role that excited me. asked about some things on my resume.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing terribly difficult, my interviewer asked me what was the most difficult part of what I was doing at the moment.   Answer Question

Deployment Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Had 1 pre screen with a recruiter, 2 phone calls with Deployment Strategists, then an onsite visit where I met with 2 more Deployment strategists and an engineer. Overall, it was a mix of behavioral, product understanding, and data type case questions. The product type questions were trying to see how well you understand what their product is and how it could be implemented in another company. The data type case questions took that a step further by asking what types of data sets you would need, what the value would be and so forth and eventually tying it all together. Didn't receive any brain teasers. I thought overall the questions were pretty fair and were really just trying to figure out if I have the mindset to do the job. The people in general were pretty nice although all but one seemed very rushed.

Interview Questions
    • Imagine Kayak.com had no one to analyze or make sense of their data. How would you show them the value in their data? I.e. how do you get from all the data they have to some kind of monetary value from it.   Answer Question

Business Intelligence Researcher Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Applied online and received an email request for a phone interview in about 10 days. A team member of the Business Intelligence Research called me and clearly had not read my resume at all. He asked me a great deal about what products I wrote for my former jobs- normal interview questions. He said I would hear back from HR in one or two days. After three days, I emailed HR asking for an update and she immediately replied saying that I was not considered a good fit for Palantir.