Palantir Technologies

Updated Jan 29, 2015
Updated Jan 29, 2015

3.4

Foward Deployed Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

A recruiter reached out to me and sent me an online challenge. The question requires analytical thinking to transform an informal problem into algorithms problem. The challenge wasn't too difficult but demanded meticulous analysis, design, and coding.

The interview process is great! The recruiter was understanding and answered my email quickly. I will definitely apply next year.

Product Quality Engineer Interview

After a company visit, followed up with one of the recruiters and scheduled a phone call. She was very friendly and helpful and asked a pretty basic technical question, but other than that was more focused on helping me understand the position. As a not exceptional sophomore, she truthfully told me my chances were slim.

Interview Questions
    • Asked an algorithms question something like how to remove duplicates in a list of numbers.   Answer Question

Product Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

An employee reached out to me via email after finding my LinkedIn page, and he said that he thought that, given my experience, I'd be a good match for the Infrastructure Quality Engineer Internship. So, we scheduled a 30-minute phone interview We chatted for a while about the position, and he answered a few of my questions about what exactly Palantir does (you have to do a little digging to get a really good idea). He asked one simple technical question (outlined below).

That interview went pretty well, so then we scheduled another interview with a different employee. After some small talk and me asking some questions about the company, he asked me to test an elevator in a new building. Organize your thoughts and present them coherently, and you're golden. This question took about 30 of the 45 minutes of my interview. The key to these questions is:

1. Ask about who the primary user of the product will be, and make sure the product is catered towards them.
    2. Test the product for standard daily use.
    3. Imagine all the different disasters that could occur that break this product. Test for those.
    4. If possible, add a feature that you've always wanted this type of product to have. For example, I've always wanted elevators to have a "Cancel Floor Request" button. I described that, and we talked about its feasibility for about five minutes.

After that, I asked for him to describe the differences between Infrastructure Quality Engineers and Product Quality Engineers; after we got off the phone, I decided that the PQE Internship would be a better match for me. I emailed my recruiter, and they forwarded my application to the necessary PQE recruiter, who set up one more interview with me. During that interview, I was asked to test a vending machine, and I used the same process to test it that I outlined above.

At this point in the hiring process, I had an internship deadline within five business days, so the recruiters expedited my application. Rather than flying out, I had a technical final round interview via Skype that lasted three hours. The first interview was a troubleshooting interview, and the recruiter had me describe the process I'd use to test a printer that won't print. Then he asked me about a few basic Linux commands (I couldn't remember one of them, but I knew its functionality) and asked me a few behavioral questions. The next interview was technical, and we coded via a live code editor, so he could see what I typed. He showed me a program written in Python-esqe pseudocode, and asked me to walk him through it and describe what it did. Then he had me implement a few functions for the same code in pseudocode (I wrote it in a semi-Java language). Finally, I had a product design interview. For this, I was given a very abstract, almost sci-fi concept for a product that could turn people into animals, and then I was told to give feedback on the first and then second iterations of its design. Then, I was asked to give feedback on the user interface that it used. After that, we ran out of time, and my interviewer wished me luck.

I received a phone call two days later telling me that I had gotten the internship! One of the biggest questions for the is: why do you want to work at Palantir? I was asked that five times throughout the process, so make sure you're ready for that one. The recruiters and interviewers are always very prompt via email (within one business day), very accomodating of other internship offer deadlines, and extremely friendly. I couldn't be happier to work there this summer.

Interview Questions
    • In an array of integers, every number except for one is duplicated exactly one somewhere in the array. Find the single number.   Answer Question
    • Describe how you would figure out what was wrong with a printer that wouldn't print.   Answer Question
    I didn't attempt to negotiate, because the offer not only provides housing and a bunch of other fantastic perks, but it also pays really well for interns.

Software Engineering Interview

The recruiter head hunted me through LinkedIn. They gave me a one and a half hour test on Hackerrank. The test was pretty difficult but was doable in 90 minutes.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in January 2015.

I applied online and after a few weeks was asked to complete a programming challenge online. I found the challenge to be quite difficult and was unable to get a working solution within the time allotted. There was no phone interview prior to or after the programming challenge, and I was not offered a position.

Build Systems Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in January 2015.

Disclaimer: I assume I did not get hired and am immediately writing after the on-site interviews, as it is fresh in my head. I could be wrong but it's very unlikely.

Applied online -> HR Interview with Recruiter -> HackerRank -> Phone Interview -> On-site

3 whiteboard coding interviews in the morning and was let out after the lunch+demo. Despite feeling down after being let out, I found the whole experience really really cool, as it was my first time doing any on-site interview. If you're concerned about the coding/algorithmic part, I probably can't give any 'new questions' because I felt they were rather conceptually easy and simple. But, I shot myself in the foot by not being confident.

What I learnt:
    First off they interview butt loads of people for the onsite, all of whom are intelligent and from top universities, so don't be intimidated.
    Second, the employees/engineers are hella dope, as well as their projects. They're very thoughtful and impressive in all their own ways. Talk to them for just a few moments and you'll probably learn something new if you're willing to listen.
    Third, I was initially afraid of the company and what they do. After the breakfast and lunch talks, I found out about the nature of their organizational structure and the implementations they have in place in order to raise concerns or if they have disagreements. So I'm still afraid of the nature of the company and its relationships, just a little bit less.

Sidenote: There was a definite lack of racial diversity which is potentially concerning in terms of diversity of viewpoints within the company, but with time, I figure Palantir will probably come out fine as the employees I met are ballin g-money.

Business Development Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in January 2015.

An employee reached out to me, indicating I would be a good fit given my background and the team's role. I found the interview process to be typical of a tech company, of how they "really want to get to know you" and iterating that in the emails prior to the interview as well as providing candidates with sufficient information prior to the interview. The interview was a 30 minute "coffee meeting" with one of the team members, scheduled by Recruiting. It was a typical behavioral interview.

Interview Questions
    • Give me the name of your manager, if I were to call him/her how would he rank you on a 1-10 scale. If you are not a 10, why? What would be the reason that he/or she gives to support this rating.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in January 2015.

Applied online. Contacted by recruiter to attempt 1.5 hr online coding challenge on HackerRank. Finished it and passed most of the test cases provided. Contacted 2 weeks later for a phone interview. Asked me a questions about finding duplicates in an array and then incrementally modified it to make the problem more difficult by finding duplicates in an index range and in a value range. Solved them with some hesitation but went ok overall.

Recruiter scheduled me for a second interview for the next week with another engineer. This time the entire interview was dedicated to coding - no chit chat. Asked a question about parenthesis matching and finding the minimum number of edits to balance parentheses. This was harder since there was no clear algorithm to approach this but just some general intuition to what constituted an unbalanced string. Solved it with some hints from the interviewer giving examples where my solution so far wouldn't work and so on. It took me longer than I would have liked. Also was expected to actually produce working code which scanned input and printed out statements since HackerRank lets you run the code in-browser.

Was promptly rejected. Not surprised. They have somewhat difficult interviews. Google was harder conceptually, but Palantir cared more about details. I was also never clear as to what position I was applying for. There are several engineering intern roles - full stack, backend, front end, FDE, etc.

Interview Questions
    • 2nd interview about producing working code that identifies the min. no. of edits needed to balance a string of parentheses   View Answer

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

The recruiter got in touch with me through email.
    1) The first call was with the recruiter. Talked about the company and its culture and goals.
    2) Had first level interview. The interview got in touch with me through phone.

Deployment Strategist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in December 2014.

I applied initially online, then was emailed by a member of the Palantir recruitment team and set up a 30 minute phone screen. The next interview was also by phone but this time with a Deployment Strategist and lasted about 50 minutes. In both of the interviews, I was asked about my experience that motivated me applying for the position. The 2nd phone interview mostly revolved around me offering up different use-cases for the technology, and how to actually deploy it successfully. I felt like I focused too much on the interesting conceptual side of my answers and not enough on the actual implementation and deployment side. Either way, a good learning experience.

Interview Questions
    • Say you have a four-story building with one elevator, how do you make the elevator maximally efficient.   Answer Question