Palantir Technologies Interview Questions

Updated Oct 20, 2014
Updated Oct 20, 2014

3.4

Deployment Strategist Interview

I had three phone calls with Palantir. First was a recruiter screen - it was the most passive phone conversation I have ever had. She would ask me questions, I would respond, and then there would be a 10 second awkward pause, and then she would ask another question. There was no engagement on her side. This was off-putting, but I decided to continue with the process. Second was an interview with a deployment strategist. He was very friendly and asked a mix of behavioral questions and brain teasers. This was the only positive part of my interviewing experience with Palantir. Next interview was with another deployment strategist. She was incredibly cold and difficult to converse with. She also seemed to lack basic social skills -- for example, upon calling me, she immediately launched into a brain teaser - no basic introduction at all about her background or herself. This was odd and off-putting. Additionally, when I asked her about the strengths and weaknesses about Palantir culture -- her response for weakness was essentially if there is any part of Palantir's culture which you don't like, then there's an issue with you, not the culture. This sort of defensive attitude made me certain I did not wish to work at Palantir/continue with the process.

Interview Questions
    • How would you map any number between 0 and 1 to the range 10 to 100, preserving relative spacing   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Initial round - Phone Interview. HR questions with basic Technical questions towards the end.
    Second round - Technical Phone Interview for 45 minutes. You will be asked to write code. There are a few HR questions in the beginning asking why are you interested in the company.

Interview Questions
    • Remove duplicates in an unsorted array where the duplicates are at a distance of k or less from each other.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Applied online and was provided a coding challenge a few weeks later. Coding challenge was difficult, but doable within the allotted time. After the code challenge was a technical interview with one of their software engineers. Right from the get go, the interviewer wanted to really know if you knew your stuff. The interviewer asked questions on algorithms, questioned methodology on past projects, and just tested the rigor of everything I said. Next was the online coding portion of the phone interview which was probably one of the hardest interviews I had done, partially because I had forgotten a lot about linked lists. Had an idea of how to do it, but couldn't finish it in time.

Product Quality Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Through On-Campus Career fair. They answered some basic questions about Palantir and its products. A week later I got an email from an HR personnel stating the recruiters from the career fair had forwarded my resume to them and thought had good potential for the role. First round was by the HR personnel and I was asked two questions: (1) how would you test a blender? (2) how would you find a repeating number in an array? I cleared this and was set up for a technical interview with a Product Quality Engineer. The interview consisted of two questions again (1) How would you test a website? and (2) Given a number how would you find out if it was a palindrome or not. The interviewer was quite nice and encouraged me when I was in going the right way. Third interview was rather unexpected. The interviewer questioned my interest in programming. Then asked me two questions (1) how I would make a server architecture for a dictionary, how many servers would be involved and what problems could be perceived, (and stressed on computer architecture for this case). I was also asked to follow up on the palindrome question, (2) given an array, how would you find the largest palindrome? with better efficiency?

Interview Questions
    • how you would make a server architecture for a dictionary, how many servers would be involved and what problems could be perceived?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Machine Learning Interview

I really liked the interviewer of my first round of phone screen and the recruiters were reasonably clear in explaining what to expect for both the phone screens and onsite. The company has a lot of positive aspects and would be a great place to work at and learn overall.

The onsite experience was not as pleasant compared to other places like Facebook or LinkedIn. Questions were more textbook-type and not open-ended. No depth in problem-solving was reflected in the machine learning type of questions. One interviewer admitted that "we don't do long-term research type of work" and hinted on the importance of fast turn-around over depth and accumulation of knowledge. It sounds like they want to hire people with past experience that are desperately needed for the current projects and care less about how to build similar experience.

I had to pass on a previous offer to come to their onsite, which I probably would not do if I hadn't like the first round phone interview that much. But I guess these are the rules of the game. And I do appreciate how the work culture is reflected in the interviewing process. I still think the company makes great products but might not be a great place if you want room to grow.

Wordsmith Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Applied online (which included submitting two writing samples) and was contacted by a recruiter a day later to set up a phone interview with a different recruiter. The entire process took about a month.

The initial screening call didn't feel like it went well. My interviewer was 15 minutes late to the call, and the call only lasted 18 minutes. When I started answering her questions, these terribly uncomfortable, long pauses would follow before she would resume speaking. In retrospect, I suspect she was either a little inexperienced or was intently focused on writing down all of my responses, because despite my best efforts there was very little back-and-forth. She ended our conversation by asking me to explain a database to a non-technical person. After I did, she replied, "Is that all you have to tell me?" and ended the call without giving me the opportunity to ask any questions. Needless to say, I did not expect to receive a follow up call.

I was wrong. An hour later, my interviewer sent me a writing assignment (pick a portion of the gotham platform, and tell a client why it's exciting), asked for it to be completed within a week. I finished it in three days, and shortly thereafter, I was invited to interview in the New York office. At the time, the recruiter told me that if things went well, I should also expect to interview in Palo Alto. She emphasized that I should dress "on the casual side of business casual," and warned me to expect more exercises.

Went into the New York office, and was immediately given two additional writing tests: taking two documents on the Gotham platform and synthesizing them into one, more concise document, and editing a messy, grammatically nightmarish page of single-spaced text. In theory, you're given 30 minutes for each exercise, although my first interviewer walked in early and cut me off at 25 minutes for second exercise. The former I finished, the latter I did not finish.

After the writing exercises, I spoke with two people on the team. Unsurprisingly, their questions focused on drilling into why I was interested in Palantir, what I knew about their products, and whether I was a good culture fit. But instead of asking me to explain Gotham, they asked me questions like, "What animal/character/food/(insert random subject) would Gotham be, and why?"

Anyways, after the second interview I was abruptly ushered out of the office, leading me to believe this time was actually the end of the line.

And I was right. A few days later, the recruiter was nice enough to call and let me know the team wouldn't be moving forward with me. When I asked for feedback, she told me that even though the team really liked me, other candidates were able to finish both writing exercises. Fair enough.

On the whole, my experience with Palantir was decent. As others here have noted, it seems like their recruiting team could use some training.

Interview Questions
    • Asked during the screening call: Explain a database to a non-technical person.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Typical email first, then brief phone interview with HR representative. No real questions at this stage, just an introduction about what the position is actually for.

They seem to be hiring a compensation/HR analyst but don't list any details in the job description. They are seeking someone that knows VBA/excel automated forms, but they don't even know it - it seems.

My advice to others would be asking more about the company, and about the position. Boast about your automated form skills, instead of being surprised this isn't exactly the posted position. I was declined an offer.

Human Resources - Recruiting Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Applied online and was contacted by the hiring manager a couple of days later. Had a phone interview that was about 30 minutes long and not very structured. Invited to come in and interview with team members as the next step. Arrived in Palo Alto HQ and there was much moving between buildings and getting my car properly parked before settling in to the interviews. Had several interviews where two people interviewed me at once, which I don't think is great practice. It allows the employees to tag team each other and play two-on-one with the candidate. One interview like that was particularly stiff. What took the cake though was the last interviewer of the day coming in and after some questions and responses about which I will not comment further finally said something along the lines of, if you have no further questions for me I'd really like to get out of here. I think I really dodged a bullet in that they rejected me. And then there's the way they did that. Two rejection emails were sent, a personal one from the hiring manager and an automated one from their application system.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were "difficult" per se, but some of them were just odd.   Answer Question

Forward Deployed Engineer (New Grad) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in October 2014.

1. Take online coding assignment via HackerRank that was 2 questions and you had to do it in 2 hours. Typical algorithmic questions (find largest palindromic substring and related questions).
    2. Typical 30 minute conversation with recruiter asking about why palantir, resume stuff, and also some basic technical questions that were non-coding (explain binary search, how many bits necessary to store 1000, etc.)
    3. Technical phone screen with engineer
    4. 3 Interview On-Site (3 hours)
    5. Technical interview with someone from leadership

Overall, very fair.

Interview Questions
    A lot of people on here say that compensation is low compared to other companies, but I strongly disagree. Compensation was VERY fair and fitting in my opinion.

Deployment Strategist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Was contacted by a recruiter. Had an initial phone screen about my background/the position. She passed my resume along. First round phone interview, mostly behavioral but also had a hypothetical scenario. Didn't hear back for a week but when I did was asked if I could take the day off on two days notice to come in for a second round. This seemed a bit odd to ask on such short notice.

Next round was 4 interviews. Some with cases, one with brain teaser, one all behavioral. Brain teaser was tough. Behavioral questions seemed a bit irrelevant for someone pretty fresh out of college (what is the toughest decision you've ever had to make etc.) Overall, most people I met were very nice and interesting but the process wasn't too great. There is definitely a feeling that your time as a candidate isn't important (interviewers were frequently late, I was expected to schedule interviews last minute, my phone screen interviewer didn't call me on time and I had to call the recruiter to check in about it etc.) The process was more disorganized than I would expect from a company of Palantir's level.

After the second round the next step would have been a couple more interviews, the recruiter told me. A week later I got a generic email saying I wouldn't be moving forward.