Palantir Technologies Business Development Interview Questions

Updated Aug 5, 2015

3.2

Business Development Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview

Round of phone interviews, then an obnoxiously time consuming data test (basically an analytics entry exam to weed people out), multiple in person interviews. After all of this, the Founders get a whack at you. You could crush every level of the interview process and then the Founders could meet you for 5 minutes and decide you don't fit into the Palantir cult. More power to them, but after the interview process I didn't want to work there.

Interview Questions

• lots of questions about different types and ways of organizing data.   1 Answer

Business Development Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies in January 2015.

Interview

An employee reached out to me, indicating I would be a good fit given my background and the team's role. I found the interview process to be typical of a tech company, of how they "really want to get to know you" and iterating that in the emails prior to the interview as well as providing candidates with sufficient information prior to the interview. The interview was a 30 minute "coffee meeting" with one of the team members, scheduled by Recruiting. It was a typical behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• Give me the name of your manager, if I were to call him/her how would he rank you on a 1-10 scale. If you are not a 10, why? What would be the reason that he/or she gives to support this rating.   Answer Question

Business Development Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview

I had three phone interviews for a position. The first was excellent, I was asked great questions and it felt like a good conversation in which I learned a lot about the company and vice versa. The second was a bit awkward but mostly ok. The third was very awkward, as I was not asked any questions but just told to ask the interviewer questions, for a full hour. The interviewer seemed a bit distracted. There were several scheduling issues throughout where it did not seem like HR and the team were communicating. On the whole, though, it was generally a pretty 'normal' interview process, with the usual questions, and no brain teasers or trick questions as other here have mentioned. Unfortunately I never got to the in-person interview stage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (McLean, VA).

Interview

WORST recruiters I have ever interacted with. I have worked for Facebook and Google before interviewing at Palantir and haven't seen such unprofessionalism. The onsite interview was actually challenging with each of the interviewers who were quite pleasant and definitely intelligent. I think witnessing hearing the recruiters talk about other candidates in the same room as me while I was waiting made me feel uneasy. At one point, the two girls were laughing at one of the candidates and said 'she's probably not going to make it'. There was a dog in the lobby that defecated right near where we were all sitting which was quite gross and embarrassing. The candidates and I just all stood up and move to a different corner of the lobby. While waiting for my recruiter to close me out, I could hear the people outside saying that she wasn't around because she was late coming back from the gym from some class. I sat in the interview room for about 35-45 minutes with random non-recruiters asking me if I was ok or needed anything. Finally my recruiter came in, she was all sweaty and still in gym clothes and said she was late from a meeting which I knew was crap. Unfortunately I didn't get an offer, I actually knew I wasn't when one of the other recruiters said something outside the door "we're just waiting to close her out, she's not going to make it". I'm ok with not getting an offer from this company. I truly appreciate how awesome the recruiters at Google and Facebook are, and left this company with a not so pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• Explain how I would model data for a changing market in a specific industry.   Answer Question

Business Development Interview

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview

I got contacted just a little over a week after submitting my resume to schedule a phone interview. The interview was pretty friendly and informal; they just wanted to make sure I was truly interested in their company and understood what they do. They asked me questions like, "How did you hear about Palantir?", "What is your understanding of what we do?", "Why do you want to work here?", etc.

Interview Questions

• "How would you explain our platform to a 10-year-old boy?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Total interviews: 8 (including phone and on-site) I didn't find the interview questions especially tough, as long as you thought creatively. I had a few interviews and then lunch (which I think was a "culture fit" interview, to be honest) followed by a product demo and then more interviews. If they like you, they let you stay after the product demo to do more interviews, and everyone who is hired interviews with a founder during their on-site day. Honestly, it's pretty stressful/long, but not unbearable. Everyone seems to know it's a long day, and offers you breaks, drinks, and snacks constantly.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe the Palantir platform to your grandmother?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They give three offers with different mixes of salary and stock options and you pick what works for you.

Business Development Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

I received two phone interviews that were about 30 minutes long. It most consisted of behavioral questions. I then was asked to come on-site for a round of interviews and I actually spoke with between 8-10 people including one of the co-founders of the company. Palantir has a grueling interview process but they are considerate of the interviewee's time. They offer lunch and frequent bathroom breaks when needed.

Interview Questions

• Why would you like to join Palantir?   1 Answer

Writer, Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (San Francisco, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

I was referred for an interview by a friend who works for Palantir. The communication with HR and the interviewer was good and prompt. Interview had a very "holier than thou" attitude and mentioned the fact that he attended Stanford repeatedly.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer was someone on the team I would potentially join. Did not seem like he had experience interviewing (first time perhaps?). He came off as very arrogant and not friendly. Questions included: "How would you describe what we do to a 3 year old;" "what is the Internet?"...   Answer Question

Business Development Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (San Francisco, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

Phone call was with a member of the Business Development Operations team and just consisted of behavioral questions. I went over some of the Palantir software beforehand but there were no questions relating to that. Overall, it was very relaxed and informal but they're clearly looking for something specific because I didn't feel like I did anything wrong.

Business Development, Embedded Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

The first two rounds were fairly straightforward. Because bizdev folks are supposed to understand the Palantir platform, the first round was a timed test about their software and their proprietary programming language. The second round was a phone interview, where I was given various graphs and asked to analyze them based on some fairly well-known metrics (I have a finance background). Passed both tests with flying colors, and made it to the in-person interview round, which I will describe in detail now. Basically, the moral of the story is to get some sleep before the interview, or you'll end up muffing basic math. Also, I spent a lot of time rehearsing brain teasers; in my experience, that was totally useless. No brain teasers were asked, just domain specific stuff (basic finance & very elementary CS knowledge). - Interview 1: More graph interpretation using well-known financial metrics. The issue here is to not think about them in finance terms, but completely mathematically. If you have a finance background, do *not* jump to conclusions about what they are asking. - Interview 2: Questions about their software and proprietary programming language; fairly easy. You don't need to be a programming whiz to understand how their software works. - Interview 3: Basic algorithm questions, very similar to the ones on projecteuler.net. As some have mentioned, they focus on the length of time it takes the algorithm to run. - Interview 4: Lunch with the team lead. Very laid-back, nothing technical. - Interview 5: Discussion of some very well-known financial metrics (again, in completely mathematical terms). At one point, had to compare two customized metrics against each other and see if they were the same. This involved comparing two semi-complicated series of fractions. I haven't heard back from Palantir yet, but I'm assuming I didn't get the job because I didn't meet any founders, and because I genuinely feel I flubbed the 5th interview (and the 1st to some extent). Basically, this was my first round of technical interviews ever, and by the time I got to #5, I just didn't feel like wrestling with fractions. Ugh! On the other hand, I actually think that the interview style was fair and relevant. They didn't ask stupid brain teasers and all of the questions actually seemed germane to the job.

Interview Questions

• One of the questions involved creating a generic financial metric, but applying it to an index instead of a security, and writing it two different ways.   Answer Question