Palantir Technologies Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015

3.4

Internal Applications() Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in March 2015.

HR Phone Interview (Behavioral Questions, just answering them) -> Technical Phone Interview (Interviewer is really nice and for me this question is easy, talk with him about my projects)-> On site interview (3 rounds, difficult for me, two of them are coding and one of them is system designed for a specified game, to design some classes). On site interview is not easy. But palantir is really a good company! It was my first on-site experience and everything is great except my bad performance. Got rejection after five days(my ddl for another offer).

Forward Deployed Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in March 2015.

I had three back-to-back 45 minute interviews, followed by lunch with an employee (who was honestly quite aloof) and a product demo. After that, I was quite relieved to continue to one last interview, which was with a more experienced engineer who had been working at Palantir for some time.

Interview Questions
    • Decomposition question: How would you implement Pacman?   Answer Question

Business Operations and Strategy Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Contacted by recruiter via call and text. Recruiters worked with me to schedule a 30 min Skype interview with a member of the team. The recruiters were nice enough and helpful.

But WOW was the team member unprofessional!

He couldn't make our original scheduled time; I found out via the recruiter (not the interviewer) that he had to reschedule 5 minutes after our scheduled time. During the rescheduled interview, the guy didn't even have the courtesy to acknowledge the rescheduling. I get it -- meetings come up last minute. But to lack the basic decency to say "my bad" speaks volumes about the team's values.

Toward the end of our interview, when I so much as gave a hint that I was done asking my questions, he followed up with an immediate "okay bye" (hangup). So sorry to bother you with my interest in your company bro.

My advice to the Operations and Strategy team would be to re-evaluate who you have screening your candidates and how they are representing your team.

Interview Questions
    • Basic antiquated strength/weakness/etc questions. Final question was "Tell me the names of your last two managers. If I called them, how would they rate you and why?"   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Applied through recruiter. Talked to another recruiter over the phone who described the position and asked if I was still interested. Scheduled a 45 minute technical phone interview. Whole process took about 1 week.

The interviewer called on time, introduced himself, asked me to introduce myself briefly, and we got right into the problem. He was very patient throughout the process and gave me pointers until I got to the answer by the end of the interview. At the end, he asked if I had any questions, and answered them nicely.

Forward Deployed Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

The HR contacted me via LinkedIn. The process is pretty smooth and people are really friendly. The first round was phone interview. The question was really easy, the only problem was I screwed it up as I was nervous.

Interview Questions
    • Title Case the given input. Main goal was to check the memory efficiency.   View Answer

Product Quality Engineer Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

The process began with a quick thirty minute phone screening, and I was then moved on to phone interviews. The first was more of a critical thinking interview and the second was more technical in nature.

Technical Writer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Phone followed by onsite interview. The entire process is draining and waste of efforts and time. They bring candidates onsite after couple of interview and palantir should respect candidate time before bringing them onsite

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

First is the call from the recruiter, it's a non-technical round. Se talked about the project in my resume and then let me asked some questions. After this round, is a technical phone screen, the engineer gave me a simple design question to solve. After this step, he let me ask him some questions and the phone screen step is over.

Interview Questions
    • Design a route table. The map is from ip prefix -> port number. The route table has two operation, insert and find. Realize these two APIs.

The input of Insert API is vector<bool> to represent the ip prefix need to insert.

The input of Find API is vector<bool> which represents the ip need to find, and the return is the port number that the longest prefix of the input IP is mapped in the route table. If no such prefix, return -1.

View Answer

Product Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

An employee reached out to me via email after finding my LinkedIn page, and he said that he thought that, given my experience, I'd be a good match for the Infrastructure Quality Engineer Internship. So, we scheduled a 30-minute phone interview We chatted for a while about the position, and he answered a few of my questions about what exactly Palantir does (you have to do a little digging to get a really good idea). He asked one simple technical question (outlined below).

That interview went pretty well, so then we scheduled another interview with a different employee. After some small talk and me asking some questions about the company, he asked me to test an elevator in a new building. Organize your thoughts and present them coherently, and you're golden. This question took about 30 of the 45 minutes of my interview. The key to these questions is:

1. Ask about who the primary user of the product will be, and make sure the product is catered towards them.
    2. Test the product for standard daily use.
    3. Imagine all the different disasters that could occur that break this product. Test for those.
    4. If possible, add a feature that you've always wanted this type of product to have. For example, I've always wanted elevators to have a "Cancel Floor Request" button. I described that, and we talked about its feasibility for about five minutes.

After that, I asked for him to describe the differences between Infrastructure Quality Engineers and Product Quality Engineers; after we got off the phone, I decided that the PQE Internship would be a better match for me. I emailed my recruiter, and they forwarded my application to the necessary PQE recruiter, who set up one more interview with me. During that interview, I was asked to test a vending machine, and I used the same process to test it that I outlined above.

At this point in the hiring process, I had an internship deadline within five business days, so the recruiters expedited my application. Rather than flying out, I had a technical final round interview via Skype that lasted three hours. The first interview was a troubleshooting interview, and the recruiter had me describe the process I'd use to test a printer that won't print. Then he asked me about a few basic Linux commands (I couldn't remember one of them, but I knew its functionality) and asked me a few behavioral questions. The next interview was technical, and we coded via a live code editor, so he could see what I typed. He showed me a program written in Python-esqe pseudocode, and asked me to walk him through it and describe what it did. Then he had me implement a few functions for the same code in pseudocode (I wrote it in a semi-Java language). Finally, I had a product design interview. For this, I was given a very abstract, almost sci-fi concept for a product that could turn people into animals, and then I was told to give feedback on the first and then second iterations of its design. Then, I was asked to give feedback on the user interface that it used. After that, we ran out of time, and my interviewer wished me luck.

I received a phone call two days later telling me that I had gotten the internship! One of the biggest questions for the is: why do you want to work at Palantir? I was asked that five times throughout the process, so make sure you're ready for that one. The recruiters and interviewers are always very prompt via email (within one business day), very accomodating of other internship offer deadlines, and extremely friendly. I couldn't be happier to work there this summer.

Interview Questions
    • In an array of integers, every number except for one is duplicated exactly one somewhere in the array. Find the single number.   View Answers (2)
    • Describe how you would figure out what was wrong with a printer that wouldn't print.   Answer Question
    I didn't attempt to negotiate, because the offer not only provides housing and a bunch of other fantastic perks, but it also pays really well for interns.

Support Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Applied online, heard back a while later. Set up an initial phone interview, which was more of a rundown of what the job is, if I was still interested, and a few example technical questions to help prepare for the technical interview. Then set up a time for the technical phone interview, and had that. A few weeks later I received a denial email.