Palantir Technologies

Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Engineer Interview

Sales Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed at Palantir Technologies in April 2014.

Interview Details – The interview was brutal. Candidates were grouped together to be interviewed on the same day. Less competent candidates would be kicked out right after lunch. I stayed till the end of the day but still didn't get the offer. Interviewers are quite friendly and nice though.

Interview Question – How comfortable am I to travel.   Answer Question

Forward Deployed Software Engineer Interview

Forward Deployed Software Engineer

Interviewed at Palantir Technologies

Interview Details – I attended an info session at my college, and decided to apply on their website. A few days later I received an email asking me to take a programming test at home. The test was an hour and forty minutes for one problem. It was fairly difficult and I was not able to complete it. I received an email a few days later saying that I was not a good fit.

Interview Question – The programming question was more involved than I would have expected for one of these in home tests.   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Web Developer

I interviewed at Palantir Technologies in May 2014.

Interview Details – First interview was trivial with a few technical question. On the second interview I told a little about myself and was presented with one problem which I failed to solve completely because we ran out of time.

Interview Question – There is a 3d matrix where a slice would look like this
1 3 4 0 0
1 2 0 0 0
2 4 0 0 0
1 0 0 0 8
0 0 0 1 0
in this slice there are two islands with weights of 9 and 18. Islands can be connected in the 3rd dimensions too (i.e. 3d chunks). Fund the chunk/3d-island with the largest weight (in the most optimal way space- and complexity-wise).
  Answer Question

Forward Deployed Software Engineer: New Grad Interview

Forward Deployed Software Engineer: New Grad

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview Details – Spoke to engineers at startup fair, who were very nice and friendly. Was told to apply online as best way to go forward, so did so, and received invitation to do a timed programming challenge 2 days later. Completed challenge but was declined.

Product Quality Engineer Intern Interview

Product Quality Engineer Intern

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview Details – I went through a quick interview with the hiring manager and two different current QE employees over a period of 4 weeks. The interviewers were extremely nice and willing to help out and answer any questions; I very much enjoyed going through the interview process with Palantir. They ask in general two types of questions in the interview: a simple technical question that addresses whether you know about simple data structures and is at least capable of adding on the their current vocab and understanding, and a testing question where they ask you to test a product (i.e. a vending machine).

Interview Question – How do you get the nth term of a fibonacci sequence?   Answer Question

Mission Specialist Interview

Mission Specialist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview Details – Applied via referral and received an email from a recruiter within a week. Scheduled a phone screen which was brief, but fairly detailed. The interviewer sounded distracted/disinterested throughout. Following the phone interview, I received an assignment to complete using Palantir. The assignment took about 2 hours. After submitting it, I heard nothing for two weeks, then received an email telling me that they were interested in candidates with more technical skills.

Forward Deployed Engineer Interview

Forward Deployed Engineer
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Palantir Technologies in March 2014.

Interview Details – Interview process was interesting. I originally applied through their website for the Software Engineer role, did 2 phone screens and got rejected. Seven months later, I get contacted about the FDE role and got 4 onsite interviews scheduled 2 days later. I was supposed to have a final brief chat with a founder, but after that had to be rescheduled, they decided to go ahead with an offer anyway. Overall, the interview process (the second time around) was extremely fast, and my recruiter was very friendly and responsive.

Interview Question – Mathematical proof using Proof by Induction for why a certain data structure has a certain property - very interesting question involving no coding, and on the edge between Computer Science and Mathematics.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was nearing the end of the process w/ another company. I made a counter-offer under the condition that I would stop communication with the other company, and I accepted as soon as they approved.

Forward Deployed Engineer Interview

Forward Deployed Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Palantir Technologies in November 2012.

Interview Details – I met an early employee of Palantir at a conference and he put me into the recruiting system. We did a phone interview, and then scheduled an in person interview. They paid for my travel to attend a four hour interview process. Others have described the process as being a cattle call, and I found that to be an apt and accurate description.

The interview process was a big production but in the end didn't have much substance. They flew me all the way over there, and then didn't seem to actually have any real questions to ask me once I was there. This is a problem that I have run into interviewing as a senior statistician. They want to give a hard technical interview, but don't seem to know what questions to ask someone like me. Even though they ended each interview chunk with a 'do you have any questions' moment, the interviewers were so clearly rushed and frazzled I didn't really feel like questions were all that welcome.

The whole process felt more like applying for grad school at Stanford than applying for an actual job. They seemed more concerned with assessing if I was a 'winner' (with all of the implied superficiality and vagueness) than whether or not I would be a good addition to their team. This was kind of sad too, because everyone I talked to was soooo tired. They really seemed like they could use some help.

Even though everyone tried really hard to be nice, and they were quite generous with my travel accommodations, the overall process was pretty demoralizing. I left feeling judged but not really measured. That seems to be the Silicon Valley culture these days.

Interview Question – Design an iPhone ap.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Palantir Technologies in March 2014.

Interview Details – Got a phone interview with an employer

Interview Question – The question is not an unexpected question, it's a really common question, find largest K. But I screwed it up, I should have practiced more.   Answer Question

Mission Specialist Interview

Mission Specialist

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview Details – Contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn. Went through a phone screening, phone interview, and five in-person interviews. Total process took about two months. I felt most of the interviews went well, and had positive feedback from the recruiter after each round. Received a call from the recruiter about a week after my in-person interview saying that I would not receive an offer. Despite the positive feedback, "several members of the team had concerns about my ability to perform in the role." Then I was encouraged to reapply in a year.

I prepared by reviewing the company's website, speaking to colleagues who used the software, and reviewing data online (e.g. Glassdoor). The interviews themselves were straightforward; a mix of technical problem solving, application of the Palantir platform, and business development questions. A big component of all interviews was the assessment of fit into the company culture. The interviewers were mostly in their 20s, and only one had worked at the company for more than two years.

Interview Question – Describe how you would approach a new client and convince them to adopt the Palantir platform.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Palantir Technologies