Palantir Technologies Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014

3.4

Developer Support Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Palantir Technologies in November 2013.

Very detailed and long process. Multiple phone interviews and then if you are successful you are invited to Palo Alto for a day of interviews at HQ. I was able to get through every interview, however I did not get to the founder interview. The founder interview is the last step to an offer. The interview process was very computer science oriented, despite the team I was applying for was one of the least technical teams. Many of the interviewers were not computer scientists, however I did not get the position because of a mistake I made in the algorithms interview. I understand they want the best talent, but basing an interview on a skill that is only a small portion of the team seemed weird.

Interview Questions
    • Find the median of a list of N elements. N elements may be removed or added at any time.   View Answer

Embedded Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 9+ months - interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

I applied online and received a phone call a few weeks after I applied. The whole process took probably around 9 months-- many, many interviews, usually around 8PM EST, with various people. In total, I had about 8 interviews, not including the final site visit. Each of the interviews were a little draining, consisting of about half an hour of getting-to-know-you type questions to determine if I was a jerk (their words) and then half an hour of engineering questions.

After months of phone interviews, they flew me to Palo Alto, where I had a full day of interviews with a variety of people, to include lunch with potential co-workers. The final two interviews of the day were with the two founders.

Interview Questions
    • Any of the engineering questions, like, "If you had a client who wanted to measure the water speed in the Potomac, how would you approach that?" Google-style questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Contacted by a university recruiter as part of their annual new-grad hiring process. Had a couple of phone interviews before they flew me out to the valley for a day's worth of interviews.

Interviews were quite tough, they grilled me on Java - something which I was not too familiar with.

The kitchen was awesome, though!

Interview Questions
    • I couldn't answer several of the Java OOP questions that were asked. I wish I had read up more on the intricacies of access modifiers, etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I think the interviewers are not very experienced and professional. They tend to show off their *high* IQ instead of focusing on the interviews. However, the recruiters are great and patient. They explained things well and tried their best to make the interviewee as comfortable as possible.

Product Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Palantir Technologies in June 2014.

I shot my resume into Palantir's job portal on a Thursday night and heard back from a recruiter <24 hours later. I was quite impressed by how it's not a black hole.

Schedule was as follows; I always heard back for the next steps within one week.

Recruiter phone screen: Wednesday

1st phone interview request: Thursday
    Phone interview with PQE: Wednesday

2nd phone interview request: Tuesday
    Phone interview with PQE: Friday

Invitation for on-site interview: Monday
    On-site interview: Friday
    Phone call from recruiter with no offer: Wednesday

The on-site interview consisted of a brief check-in with the recruiter, three 1:1 45-minute interviews with PQEs in the morning, lunch and office tour with two PQEs, then a product demo (which started late that day due to technical difficulties, so the other candidates and I were left waiting in the lobby for maybe 20 minutes). I was pulled out of the demo early to interview with a fourth PQE. After this, the recruiter came, gave me a T-shirt, and told me she would call me next week with an update. In total, I was on-site from 10am - 4pm.

No luck this time in getting a job offer. I still had a positive experience interviewing, though. The recruiter was timely in her responses, the employees I met seemed happy with their work, everyone who interviewed me gave me their undivided attention. I enjoyed the office tour -- I requested to see all the dogs, and my tour guide happily obliged. :)

Interview Questions
    • All interviews began with behavioral/fit questions, led into a technical question (test some physical object or program, write a function), and ended with "Do you have any questions for me?" To be honest, I thought the questions were fair and not too difficult. I suppose my answers didn't stand out enough compared to other interviewers, though.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Palantir Technologies in June 2014.

Very good experience overall.
    Applied through the website, there was a coding exercise to complete within 2h.
    Not too difficult if you are trained to interview and you know your algorithms well.

After a couple days, first contact with HR, a phone screen with some coding/algorithm.
    Onsite a week after with interviews all day. If you are doing well, you will know along the way, engineers/hr seem to communicate between them.
    At the end of the day I met with a funder and I had an offer the next day.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, everything standard and straightforward if you know basic algorithms + data structure.   Answer Question

Site Reliability Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Lengthy! 14 total interviews with no job offer. I was informed on Thursday that I was moving to a final interview with one of the company founders. The following Monday they changed their mind. No reason or feedback was given concerning that change.

Forward Deployed Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

I was given a take home programming assignment, which I had to take within 5 days. Once I started the assignment, I had two hours to complete it. The assignment consisted of two coding problems that I was allowed to solve in any language. The first problem was a twist on a sorting problem, the second involved writing an efficient algorithm to sum certain elements in an array. I was able to run my code in their GUI against a test suite that they provided -- after both of my solutions passed all of the tests, I submitted.

I heard back from the recruiter and was then set up with a phone screen with a Forward Deployed Engineer. We spoke for about 10 minutes on behavioral / background, and then proceeded to another real-world problem that he had encountered as an employee.

Interview Questions
    • The phone screen problem involved efficiently deleting a large number of duplicate files on a LINUX server. I struggled and eventually came to a correct solution, but did not make it to the next round.   Answer Question

Writer, Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Palantir Technologies in August 2012.

I was referred for an interview by a friend who works for Palantir. The communication with HR and the interviewer was good and prompt. Interview had a very "holier than thou" attitude and mentioned the fact that he attended Stanford repeatedly.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewer was someone on the team I would potentially join. Did not seem like he had experience interviewing (first time perhaps?). He came off as very arrogant and not friendly. Questions included: "How would you describe what we do to a 3 year old;" "what is the Internet?"...   Answer Question

User Researcher Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

The role was the first dedicated user researcher position for Palantir.

I applied online and received a phone call from the recruiter several days later which turned into a mini technical interview. I hate receiving a call and then suddenly launching into interview but the recruiter was very pleasant so it wasn't a huge deal [I am curious how it would play out if I didn't have time to take the call!]

It was extremely difficult to find anything on current client designs that were not marketing speak, or much on the product operations itself besides older youtube videos demos.

A couple days later a phone screen was set up with a senior designer. It ended up being a generic technical interview with a couple of interesting points. Describing research projects, background etc. It was blatantly clear they were looking for someone on the extreme qualitative and generative side of the house to mentor and foster the team in this discipline. Doable but not particularly exciting to me personally.

The culture did sound rather appealing, and from the sounds of it the team has a lot of freedom to explore new ways of changing the product which is cool.

However it was particularly clear that my answers were not interesting to the interviewer, his tone changed toward the end. A couple of days later, I received an impersonal form email saying I was not a match. The feeling was mutual.

Interview Questions
    • Extremely specific questions about how I set up my interview process: recruiting, setup, planning, execution and synthesis.   Answer Question