Palantir Technologies Mission Specialist Interview Questions

3.1

Mission Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview

the process is extremely long. It took three 1-hour phone interviews. Then an all day in-person interviews for 9 hours. The interviews were with over 9 people. The last interview is with one of the co-founders. That process may have changed recently given the demand for their time. The process was a straight forward. Be sure to interview the interviewers to determine what you are getting into. They ask a lot of questions to determine if you are a good fit. This company has so many moving parts, please interview them to determine what moving part you are getting into.

Interview Questions

• no crazy or unexpected questions. I was interviewing for a management position. Therefore, the questions were straightforward about my passions, talents and abilities.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Do not shoot for a high salary at this company. That does not exist. Have the Palantir contact explain the current salary policies within the company and determine if you are comfortable with the arrangement.

Other Interview Reviews for Palantir Technologies

Mission Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview

Applied via referral and received an email from a recruiter within a week. Scheduled a phone screen which was brief, but fairly detailed. The interviewer sounded distracted/disinterested throughout. Following the phone interview, I received an assignment to complete using Palantir. The assignment took about 2 hours. After submitting it, I heard nothing for two weeks, then received an email telling me that they were interested in candidates with more technical skills.

Mission Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn. Went through a phone screening, phone interview, and five in-person interviews. Total process took about two months. I felt most of the interviews went well, and had positive feedback from the recruiter after each round. Received a call from the recruiter about a week after my in-person interview saying that I would not receive an offer. Despite the positive feedback, "several members of the team had concerns about my ability to perform in the role." Then I was encouraged to reapply in a year.

I prepared by reviewing the company's website, speaking to colleagues who used the software, and reviewing data online (e.g. Glassdoor). The interviews themselves were straightforward; a mix of technical problem solving, application of the Palantir platform, and business development questions. A big component of all interviews was the assessment of fit into the company culture. The interviewers were mostly in their 20s, and only one had worked at the company for more than two years.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would approach a new client and convince them to adopt the Palantir platform.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY).

Interview

Sent my resume through employee referral. A few weeks later, heard back from recruiter about phone screen. Phone screen went well but was chaotic, had to be rescheduled and I had to inform multiple recruiters that my interviewer hadn't called. Then there was a mini-project to run an analysis with Palantir's software. This wasn't hard but lost track of time since the software is so cool you could explore all day. Got invited to an on-site interview, and was expecting brainteasers but got none. We only talked high level about Palantir, my background, and what mission specialists do. A week later, I got a call from the recruiter saying I hadn't gotten the job. I asked for feedback but they said they couldn't provide any.

Interview Questions

• None, but the lack of difficult questions was unexpected.   Answer Question

Mission Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview

Really nice and accommodating. No crazy brain teaser type questions like people talk about, only a few interesting, but reasonable problems. Always communicating and letting me know my status in the process.

Interview Questions

• How many of your ancestors were alive 1000 years ago?   4 Answers

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Palantir Technologies (McLean, VA) in November 2013.

Interview

First interview was a phone screen that lasted 45 minutes. 2nd interview was an all day on-site at the Virginia office. I met with 6 people in the entire day. 3rd interview was with a founder in California. That lasted 15 minutes....

Interview Questions

• I don't really recall anything specific that was difficult or unexpected. The entire experience was unlike any others.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies (McLean, VA) in July 2013.

Interview

I got a LinkedIn reference to the recruiter from a mutual friend for the initial contact. Two HR phone screens that were pretty easy, and two phone interviews with Mission Specialists that were the toughest I'd had. No technical questions, but project management and client relationship scenarios that I found difficult, not having a thorough PM background. That got me the onsite team interview - more project management questions, which I thought I did OK on, but apparently not good enough to get an offer. Cultural fit is key for them - I was pretty much told by earlier interviewers to ask company culture questions from the later ones.

Interview Questions

• The assignment given before the onsite interview (do some data analysis with their tools) was frustrating - the public data set did not contain a lot of the information they were looking for, and the analysis they wanted was rather disjointed.   1 Answer

Mission Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in May 2013.

Interview

There were several conversations over the phone, followed by an on-site interview in their Virginia office. The telephone conversations were mainly with recruiter types. The on-site was with team members and included conversations with four different people as well as a presentation of the software itself. The interviews were pointed but friendly. The people are all smart and interesting, but it was clear that they expect long hours and a work-first attitude, which didn't match what I was looking from a work-life-balance perspective. All told the process took about 3 months.

Interview Questions

• During the on-site, the interviewers asked several questions about Palantir's products, including asking for suggestions for improved/additional functionality. As a thought exercise it was interesting, but as an interviewee, I only had a limited knowledge of their products based on their web site and YouTube channel and and no additional information to work with.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Palantir Technologies (Tysons Corner, VA).

Interview

Probably one of the most amateurish, incompetent and bizarre interview experiences I've ever had.
    The recruiters were hopelessly disorganized, it took almost a dozen emails to set up the first phone interview - which was fairly easy. They decided to go ahead and bring me in for the in-person in a couple of weeks.
    Three weeks later (after several unanswered pings), I get an email from a recruiter that all the interviewers are too busy at college recruiting events to come in on the next interview day but they'd do a second phone interview.
     A week later I another phone interview, I'm assured that I'll be brought in for an in-person that upcoming Friday.
    Two more weeks of unanswered pings, I finally get a recruiter, next Friday won’t work as all the interviewers will be at a theme park. The interview day is scheduled for the one after.
    Come to the interview day and find I'm in the middle of a huge cattle call.
    Have a long but successful interview in the morning followed by recruiter confusion. 45 minutes later a recruiter comes by and asks why I'm not with the other candidates having lunch.
    The recruiter asked how my two interviews that morning went, I explained I only had one, she text messages somebody and says "oh I see, your second interviewer couldn't make it in today"
    Ate lunch with and employee and two other candidates, both with zero qualifications, but were snowboarding buddies with somebody there. The other two “candidates” had nothing to ask, all of my questions were answered in an alarmingly cool-aid cult way.
    After lunch we were all brought into a large conference room and given a demo by a new guy who was being trained for sales. Two questions in and he sent out a e-flare for an experienced guy to save him. Affirmative cool-aid drinking answers followed every question. The demoers were unable to show any particular solutions to actual problems, often after several minutes watching them click around aimlessly. I asked a couple of basic industry questions that none of the demo team (it grew to four guys) were able to answer. After suffering through this for an hour, they opened it up to more failed Q&A while we all waited in the conference room for a recruiter.
    I was informed that two of my other interviewers couldn't be bothered to show up for work, but based on my singular interview in the morning, they were going to fast-track me to one of the seniors. The interview was conversational and went well.
    They decided that I should have a technical interview. About 15 minutes into the interview, I realized the interviewer was not a technical employee. His cover blown, he explained that he was just supposed to try and draw out technical answers from me to see if it "appeared" like I knew what I was talking about. He said I had done well.
    The recruiter came and got me and thanked me for my time.
    Three weeks later I hadn't heard anything so I pinged the recruiters, I heard back two days later from 2 of the recruiters with different answers, they wanted me to come back in for yet more in-person interviews because the hiring panel wasn't large enough for me.
    The scheduled date was two weeks later. I went in, had a cakewalk interview and then was informed that the second interviewer couldn't be bothered that afternoon (he was on-site) and that I'd have to come in for a third interview.
    The recruiter took me aside and apologized and said, "I'm not supposed to tell you this, but your interviews have all gone really well, the last interview is just a formality, after that we fly you out to Palo Alto to meet one of the founders, we should start to schedule that flight" I was taken aback, but glad that I had passed all the gauntlets.
    The recruiter got a text message and excused herself for a minute then came back in and said, "I'm really sorry, but we don't want you to have to come back in for a third interview, can you just do a skype interview from work?" I explained that I work in a secure facility and that skype won't work but I'd be happy to come back in or do it by phone.
    I got a t-shirt and a hug from the recruiter "it's too soon, but welcome!"
    Two weeks later I hadn't heard anything, so I pinged. They responded that they needed to setup the third in-person.
    My next email was a week later from a managing recruiter on the West Coast asking me to check my voicemail. I checked my voicemail and received more or less the following message "Hi, this is blah blah from Palantir, it was great to meet you last Friday (we never met), I just wanted to call you, we've decided that your application process is simply taking too long and we're going to move on to other candidates, please don't hesitate to call or email me with concerns or questions." There was no answer to any of my questions.

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest project you ever worked on, how did you show initiative while working on that project?   Answer Question

Missions Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Palantir Technologies (McLean, VA) in April 2013.

Interview

All the previous comments capture the interview questions and process so I'll focus on the overall experience with the company going through the recruiting process which took over 3 months.

So my initial impression of Palantir was that it's a cool startup tech company with very smart techies + Silicon Valley laid-back culture which for the most part turned out to be true as I concluded from my interviews. However, the recruiting process was a clear indication of the pain points or symptoms of a startup struggling to adjust or evolve to rapid growth.

The entire recruiting/HR process took well over 3 months from initial contact to meeting the founder(s), was chaotic and hectic with multiple missed scheduled meetings, last minute scheduling changes, unreturned emails or calls and overall poor communication. This is ironic since the founders emphasize on hiring top/smart talent which requires having a top and well organized HR operation/team. They were very kind to fly me to Palo Alto to meet with one of the founders which I did appreciate but I question the judgement that results from a 3-5 minute conversation that I had. Again, it seems like a forced attempt to keep the small startup culture from evolving as they are rapidly growing and expanding.

Again, great company, smart techies, great products, but seems like their internal operations is struggling to evolve with fast growing demand and business.

Interview Questions

• Given Java log files, figure out what is causing performance issues with the servers...   Answer Question