Palantir Technologies

Updated Jul 4, 2014

2.7

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Site Reliability Operations Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in September 2013.

Initially talked to a recruiting person at my college's career fair. After a brief talk he asked me a quick on-the-spot computer science question even though I was not applying for a technical position. It was regarding binary search "If you're trying to guess a number that I know and my only responses are yes and no, how do you do it?" Something to that effect.

A few weeks later a recruiter from one of the facilities emails me regarding a phone "chat session" (30 min). This is a pre-screen to ask about things on your resume, why you want to work for the company, and why you think you're a good fit. It also double checks your credentials like how many years of experience you have, where you worked, and where you went to school (even though it's on your resume). If you seem like a fit, the recruiter sets up another phone interview (1 hr) with an actual Site Reliability Operations Analyst (SRO).

The SRO continues to explain more details about the job and company, in addition to asking you questions. For this position, I was asked quite a few questions regarding how you interact with clients: how you generally deal with clients, how you deal with client pushback, how you deal with difficult or stubborn clients, how you express an unpopular opinion to a client.

I thought I nailed the SRO interview because the conversation was very engaging, I had good examples/stories to back up my claims, and the interviewer went on much detail when answering my questions. Suddenly, it came to an end and I knew I didn't make it to the on-site interview. After I was done asking questions there was a pause, so I told him those were all the questions I had. Before being able to say anything else, the interviewer concluded the interview and we said our goodbyes. The tone was very rushed and different from the rest of the interview. I never received any feedback as to why I was rejected.

Overall, the response time was very fast. The recruiters were friendly. The questions seemed customized to my situation and my position I was applying for. Good experience, but I just wish I could get some feedback on my performance.

Interview Questions
  • How do you tell a client that the solution we have arrived at best solves their problem even if they don't like the idea?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Palantir Technologies

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in July 2013.

I was sent a request via Linked-in to chat with a recruiter about Palantir. After responding, it took a couple of days of rescheduling before actually talking with the recruiter. After discussion my experience, she suggested I would fit in the Site Reliability Operations Analyst position. I had a phone interview with one of the current employees in the SROA position . The interview was short, approximately 15 minutes. I was asked general questions about my current position and what interested me in Palantir. Two days later I was set up for a second phone interview. The interview lasted about the same time. Same general questions. Next day received rejection letter mentioning my skills did not match.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would direct a customer to pick up a ladder.   Answer Question
    • How do you feel about working 70 hours in a week.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Palantir Technologies.

After two phone interviews with very friendly individuals at the Palo Alto office I did my third interview (for a separate position than initially interviewed for) with someone at the McLean, VA office. Let me start by saying that the first two interviews were very straight forward and very nice. A few technical questions that were pretty easy to field followed by questions based around my work ethic and working as a party of a team. This was very encouraging because I am looking for a position that is geared more toward good work environment and good products, rather than politics and pay. The Palo Alto office seems like a very enjoyable place to work that is focused on its most important assets, its employees.
    The third interview with a McLean representative was quite the opposite. There were no technical questions and the interviewer seemed to have a very elitist personality. The interviewer had very little structure, he seemed to ask random questions but did not know what answers he wanted, and every question had a response of "Can you elaborate?" no matter how in depth I went. The few questions I asked were not answered such as, Q:“How is the office environment in McLean as opposed to Palo Alto?” A:“It’s an office environment.” After six minutes the interviewer abruptly stated that he had to go and hung up on me. Honestly, I would not want to work in that office after that interaction. But should I relocate to CA again one day I would definitely try for a job at the Palo Alto office. I honestly believe that Palantir has a great product and in general has a good work ethic based on the research I conducted while interviewing. Palantir is going places and would be a fantastic place to work… with the exception of those that are full of themselves.

Site Reliability Operation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Palantir Technologies in July 2014.

Like a few others on here I have been approached by a recruiter at Palantir Technologies via LinkedIn, via a private message even though they weren't an existing contact for a particular role - Site Reliability Operation Analyst. At first I was quite excited but after I saw the job spec realised that I wasn't a good match for the role. I also did a lot of researching into the company, including reviews on this site, and I really didn't like what I found e.g. cult-ish culture, living facilities on site (poor work life balance), unfavourable press about the "weirdness" of the CEO, not a great regard for the for non-techie roles, etc.

Interview Questions
    • None as such as I cancelled the interviewed after my research - which was taken in kind and professionally. I was surprised though to be even considered for the role as I didn't feel my profile qualified to raise even the initial interest - I am a project manager who mainly worked on Web and IT projects, but am not technical myself and yet the role asked for some heavy duty technical skills, albeit desirable (but you'd need them if you were to solving problems of your software users).   Answer Question