Palantir Technologies

Updated Feb 25, 2015
Updated Feb 25, 2015

3.5

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Applied through recruiter. Talked to another recruiter over the phone who described the position and asked if I was still interested. Scheduled a 45 minute technical phone interview. Whole process took about 1 week.

The interviewer called on time, introduced himself, asked me to introduce myself briefly, and we got right into the problem. He was very patient throughout the process and gave me pointers until I got to the answer by the end of the interview. At the end, he asked if I had any questions, and answered them nicely.

Other Interview Reviews for Palantir Technologies

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

First is the call from the recruiter, it's a non-technical round. Se talked about the project in my resume and then let me asked some questions. After this round, is a technical phone screen, the engineer gave me a simple design question to solve. After this step, he let me ask him some questions and the phone screen step is over.

Interview Questions
    • Design a route table. The map is from ip prefix -> port number. The route table has two operation, insert and find. Realize these two APIs.

The input of Insert API is vector<bool> to represent the ip prefix need to insert.

The input of Find API is vector<bool> which represents the ip need to find, and the return is the port number that the longest prefix of the input IP is mapped in the route table. If no such prefix, return -1.

View Answer

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in February 2015.

Applied online and waited a couple of weeks. Then I received an email for a coding challenge with one problem in 90 minutes. The problem is hard and I didn't come up with the optimal solution. A few days later, I received the reject email. It is so far the hardest problem of all my interviews.

Anonymous Employee in Troy, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Troy, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in February 2015.

Asked questions on the spot in the career fair. Asked about how to check if a palindrome can be built from an input of letters. A palindrome is a word, phrase, number, or other sequence of characters which reads the same backward or forward. They do give out some pretty nice merchandise.

Interview Questions
    • You have two glass bottles that will break if dropped from a specific floor between 1 and 100. Find the most efficient way to find out which floor will break the glass.   View Answers (2)

Software Engineering Interview

The recruiter head hunted me through LinkedIn. They gave me a one and a half hour test on Hackerrank. The test was pretty difficult but was doable in 90 minutes.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in January 2015.

Applied online. Contacted by recruiter to attempt 1.5 hr online coding challenge on HackerRank. Finished it and passed most of the test cases provided. Contacted 2 weeks later for a phone interview. Asked me a questions about finding duplicates in an array and then incrementally modified it to make the problem more difficult by finding duplicates in an index range and in a value range. Solved them with some hesitation but went ok overall.

Recruiter scheduled me for a second interview for the next week with another engineer. This time the entire interview was dedicated to coding - no chit chat. Asked a question about parenthesis matching and finding the minimum number of edits to balance parentheses. This was harder since there was no clear algorithm to approach this but just some general intuition to what constituted an unbalanced string. Solved it with some hints from the interviewer giving examples where my solution so far wouldn't work and so on. It took me longer than I would have liked. Also was expected to actually produce working code which scanned input and printed out statements since HackerRank lets you run the code in-browser.

Was promptly rejected. Not surprised. They have somewhat difficult interviews. Google was harder conceptually, but Palantir cared more about details. I was also never clear as to what position I was applying for. There are several engineering intern roles - full stack, backend, front end, FDE, etc.

Interview Questions
    • 2nd interview about producing working code that identifies the min. no. of edits needed to balance a string of parentheses   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in January 2015.

I had two phone interviews followed by two on-site visits. I was scheduled for a final phone interview that was cancelled at the last minute. The recruiter was apologetic but said they didn't have an open position on that team anymore. I got the impression that management had shifted gears and it is unclear whether they hired anyone else for the position.

The interview process was mostly positive, but the abrupt rejection left me feeling bitter. I had received mostly positive feedback until that point. The interviewers acted professionally and were pleasant to talk to.

Interview Questions
    • The question format very closely matched what is listed on their website. It was a mix of algorithms and coding plus a few design questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Palantir Technologies in January 2015.

Recruiter was very nice. Company is overall very energetic.

I had one recruiter phone screen and one phone technical interview. Then onsite interview of 5 rounds. Questions were pretty straightforward, I solved them quickly. But they told me after 2 days that I didn't do well enough in the coding and algorithms.

Some of the interviewers are very friendly, but some looks very tired and was not very responsive in talking.

They want to make sure that you want to join them badly, even though it's kinda hard to understand exactly why their products are important for their customers.

During the interview, I asked explicitly and they confirmed that people at Palantir works harder than other Silicon Valley company but the salary is not proportionally increased, because they love the work.

I guess they'll hire you only if you can really appreciate their products and culture and are fanatically passionate about the company.

Interview Questions
    • Phone interview:
      Same with what others have mentioned here. Find duplicates, find duplicates within distance k, find fuzzy duplicates within distance k.

Onsite interview:
      Running median, some follow-up of not using heaps and constant space
      Min Stack
      Find top k numbers in max heap
      Design UI for a file explorer on a webpage
      Design a Twitter API, no technical details, just discuss about it, performance, scalability, etc
      Real coding on a laptop, not hard, don't worry about it.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Palantir Technologies in January 2015.

I applied online and after a few weeks was asked to complete a programming challenge online. I found the challenge to be quite difficult and was unable to get a working solution within the time allotted. There was no phone interview prior to or after the programming challenge, and I was not offered a position.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

The recruiter got in touch with me through email.
    1) The first call was with the recruiter. Talked about the company and its culture and goals.
    2) Had first level interview. The interview got in touch with me through phone.