Palm Interview Questions

2.9

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Palm in October 2009.

5 interviews, very secretive as they had not released their new OS yet. All about my experience and determining the fit with the new management team brought in from Apple

direct with the CEO - straightforward

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Palm in June 2011.

I applied online. The recruiter from Palm emailed me to setup a phone interview with hiring manager. I got invited to an on-site interview one week later. The interview panel consists of 6 people, mostly QA and Dev. Total time is about 5 hours.

Interview Questions
    • some one sent you a 60 seconds long video file, but when you receive it, the file was 5 seconds short. How do you go about finding out what went wrong with it?   Answer Question

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Palm in January 2011.

The manager was very friendly , the position was pretty demanding . They needed someone who could work late evenings and weekends sometimes. The position was interesting though .

Interview Questions
    • They asked mostly about my previous jobs. Some technical questions regarding QA   Answer Question
    • Some questions about smoke test   Answer Question

Due to work hours

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Palm in October 2010.

The interview was phone screen only. Went through the usual stuff first and then a technical question. Has some difficulties getting a grasp of the interviewer intention of the question. Question is quite simple.

Kernel Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Palm in August 2010.

I was interviewed by a very young team(all with similar names and all from a particular place in the world) .
    Questions asked for kernel position:
    - Write a FIFO
    - Write memcpy
    - Write a sub routine for the game GO
    - Linked list questions

Does that look like kernel related questions?

I screwed up on FIFO and the GO game. The downfall could be because of that but I would never know.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Palm in June 2010.

An external recruiter called me up about this position. It seemed pretty interesting. Talked with the hiring manager on the phone screen and hit it off with him.

My on-site interview was the "gauntlet" type: 6 people. 1 Senior Director, 1 Architect, 2 Managers, and 2 underlings to give me coding questions. It was also split over two days (since I am gainfully employed!)

First day: Went pretty well, although I found out they had a copy of my resume with omitted my work experience at Apple...whoops! Talking to the director was a little difficult, since he was probing me on stuff I did at Apple, and forcing me to dredge up stuff I barely remembered. Oh well.

Second day: That's when they decided to haul out their heavy hitters. It didn't go so well.

First guy: an underling tests me by asking how to make a stack behave like a Queue. I gave the boiler plate answer. He then says how to make it better, to balance out the work done by the enqueue and dequeue operations. Got that too. Then he asks me a tree traversal algorithm. Got that.

Second guy: was supposed to be the hiring mgr, but he decided to take a ME day. Kinda poor form to skip out on me like that, IMO, but whatever. The replacement was another mgr, who worked in their applications group. Very good technically. I made the mistake of admitting my general disdain for the "const" attribute, and decided to exploit that like a sore wound. He also asks me to implement memcpy(). I resisted that too, knowing that's a question full of traps. He finally left, quite quickly, and without shaking my hand. I probably should have left right then.

Third guy: their Architect. First question he asks me: "Why Palm?" I don't think I gave the rah-rah answer he was hoping for. He then goes into C++, specifically: "how would I implement a smart pointer?". Thing is, I've seen that implemented in a prior company, and it SUCKED! I relayed my experience to the guy, and said I would rather use the Boost implementation of SP's.

He insisted I write something down, saying he'd like to see how I think. I kinda knew my goose was cooked, and should have said: "here's how I think: I'm a practical programmer, who prefers to use a solution that will work, and doing SP's is not motivating me". Things got frosty real quick between the guy and I...he then asks if I knew what a "Decorator" pattern is. I just said nope, quite flatly.

I asked a couple questions, and was escorted out, with a curt thank you.

During the interview, they kept bitching that they need help..well, they certainly didn't need mine, with the questions they were throwing at me, and choosing to chase me away.

S'ok, I still won't get one of their Pre phones...whatever lol

Interview Questions
    • Implementing memcpy, including all of its problems   View Answer
    • what are smart pointers, and how would you implement one?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Palm in August 2008.

recruiter contacted. I took some time to reply. They did 2 over the phone interviews. Flew me in for face to face. It went on for all day. I was offered in next 2-3 days.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Palm in May 2008.

2 phone interviews (each about 45 minutes) and 2 half-days face-to-face interviews (each about 5-6 hours).
    Phone interviews: first one with a recruiter, the second one with the hiring manager.
    Face-to-face interviews with future colleagues in related positions.

Interviews mainly focused on previous experience and relevant market/industry knowledge.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Palm in February 2008.

Very easy-going. Upfront about the problems that the company has (which are many). There are MANY Junior folks working at Palm and it show sin the quality of the work unfortunately. The more senior guys have their exclusive "boys club" which leads to a really terrible culture.

Interview Questions
    • Generic design-level question to a guy that doesn't really understand the specialization.   Answer Question
    Don't by shy to make your requests heard. They will often bend to them if they are reasonable

Software Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Palm in July 2011.

Most interviews in tech companies nowadays are ill designed by hot-headed coders - or not designed at all. Palm is actually better than most. At least they don't try to quiz you on sorting algorithms (or cryptographic hashing algorithms for a security job). They actually focused on the key factors that can make this job successful: experiences in dealing with security breach episodes, and ability to interact with other players in the organization. But in the end, they fell for it nevertheless - they asked about how certain Unix shell commands are implemented - this is what I call the "freshness of memory" questions. If you were someone happens to be working on that piece of code daily, you'd appear a genius. I told them I used to know when I was a Linux kernel developer years ago, or how I might approach it. But that's not good enough. With HP probably closing shop on WebOS, I won't mind too much.

Interview Questions
    • How to implement "ls" command in Unix/Linux? (for the purpose of security in mobile OS and apps)   Answer Question

Worked for Palm? Contribute to the Community!