Palo Alto Research Center

Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Palo Alto Research Center in February 2012.

Interview Details – I applied for the position online and was contacted for an interview within 2 weeks. It was a 45-minute phone interview to find out how my experiences matched the needs of the position and included a brief brainstorming session. The questions were not unexpected since I had applied specifically for this position online.

Interview Question – Questions were expected and related to the job description.   Answer Question

Scientist, Postdoctoral Interview

Scientist, Postdoctoral

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Palo Alto Research Center.

Interview Details – 1. oral presentation of my PhD research for 1hr. Getting and answering questions during the presentation.
2. lunch meeting with a small group of researchers who are interested in detail discussion.
3. 1:1 meetings with hiring manager and some technical managers

Interview Question – Most questions are reasonable.   Answer Question

Research Interm Interview

Research Interm

Interviewed at Palo Alto Research Center

Interview Details – I was for the summer research interm position by a research staff and a fellow. There was only one interview. It was short and involve a broad spectrum of knowledge, particularly about machine learning and statistics. After that, I was asked to describe my current research work. I nailed both and, after a few casual questions, I get the offer.

Interview Question – Machine Learning   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Difficult Interview

Member of Research Staff Interview

Member of Research Staff
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Palo Alto Research Center.

Interview Details – I was assigned a design problem one week before the interview, which involved making 3D models (either in CAD or by hand; I chose to do it with CAD) and 2D drawings. I had to make a 45-minute presentation for a group of 20-30 people about the design problem or previous projects; I chose to talk about previous projects because I was warned that if I had talked about the design problem and answered it incorrectly, then I would have had little chance to get the job. I was interviewed initially by a project lead on the phone, and then on site I interviewed with 10 scientists and engineers who mostly asked challenging technical questions. Overall, one of the most challenging interview processes I've ever experienced.

Interview Question – The design problem was challenging, and in general, the interviewers' technical questions were challenging.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate the salary some.

Worked for Palo Alto Research Center? Contribute to the Community!