Pandora Human Resources Interview Questions

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oakland, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pandora in June 2011.

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter the following week. We setup a 20-30 minute phone screen. The recruiter asked about 4-5 questions, mostly focused on my experience in relation to the requirements of the job and my salary requirements. A few days later, the recruiter invited me to come into the office for an interview. I had 45 minute interviews with two people: an HR Manager and the VP of HR. The questions were very straightforward (e.g. Why do you want to work here? What would you do in the first 100 days?). The VP said they are looking for "the perfect candidate" and will keep looking until they find him/her.

They seem to be going through typical growing pains associated with transitioning from a startup to a mid-sized company (e.g. putting in more structure and processes, ramping up quickly while retaining the company culture, hiring the right people and make tough decisions on the wrong hires / low performers, etc.). From the little exposure I got, their culture appeared to value being collegial (e.g. agreeing on most things, being very careful not to rock the boat), getting along, and teamwork. I got the sense that they had great admiration for the CEO and the Founder, took the little snipets they'd say about a topic as the final direction/decision (without really questioning it), and their job was then to make that happen.

In the end, it turned out to be a poor fit for both sides so we didn't move forward. I met a lot of nice people there and I hope they figure out how to keep a good thing going. I love their product and they have a nice head start in online music, but it's going to be tough fending off the giants like Apple, Google, or even challengers like Spotify, etc.

Interview Questions

Worked for Pandora? Contribute to the Community!