Pandora Media Interview Questions

Updated Aug 23, 2015

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pandora Media.

Interview

Stupid process, didn't really make sense. The recruiter called me for a quick phone interview, and we did have a small conversation about my background, and spoke about the position. The recruiter asked me some basic details about my interest in Pandora and stuff like that. All went well. Later, he told me he'd give my details to their Engineering Manager. That's it, a "Sorry, unfortunately we are proceeding with other candidates" E-Mail popped up in my Inbox. Really Pandora? You gotta be kidding right? Why give me a phone call if you knew you are going to proceed with other candidates? Waste of time, both to you and me! This should show how disorganized they are in terms of recruiting. No wonder, they're also lagging way behind the competition in the Digital Music streaming market.

Coordinator Role Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pandora Media.

Interview

Met with 4-5 people in 30 minute increments. Each person literally read questions off a piece of paper and wrote down the answers as I spoke. It felt more like an interrogation than a job interview. No one asked any questions about me as a person. Just read straight off the sheet they were given. Also: if you don't get the job you won't hear back at all (unless you constantly follow up).

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite Pandora ad? What's your favorite Pandora station? Name a time you stepped up in a role. Just tons of random 'on the spot' questions.   Answer Question

Applications Security Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pandora Media in August 2015.

Interview

Applied online, someone reached out in about two days. Had a standard phone interview with a recruiter where they asked the normal boiler plate questions. After the call I got an email the same day setting up a time for a phone interview with the hiring manager. Talked with manager and ended up not getting the job, but I did get an email saying so with a reason on the same day. Overall positive experience, even without getting an office. I like that they actually let me know the outcome even if I didn't get an offer.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Pandora Media (Oakland, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

From top to bottom, the process was thoughtful, fair and enjoyable. I spoke with a recruiter first, then after considering what I was looking for, outlined a role that my experience and goals were aligned with. Next, I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. Less technical and more experience/culture based. Afterward, I circled back with a senior recruiter who then schedule me for a technical phone screen. It was a bit longer (45 minutes) and touched on relevant topics. Next, I circled back again with a member of the recruiter team and got to scheduling another round. Along the way, another team was also looking for someone with some of my skill set and we decided to also pursue that opportunity. I then had another phone screen for the second team which led to the in person with a mix of engineers and the hiring manager of both teams. After that and throughout the process, I was in close contact with the senior recruiter who then led the process. They were very transparent about the process, any delays or time that was taken between steps and respectful of my time/current situation. After doing due diligence, including reference/background checks, I was then made an offer which I gladly accepted.

Interview Questions

• General questions of varying levels about JavaScript and general programming paradigms, including questions that test your knowledge on JS inheritance, hoisting, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Fair and honest. I received the higher end of what I initially requested and said I was looking for. The overall package and perks made it such that negotiation wasn't needed.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Pandora Media in August 2015.

Interview

Interviewed with Pandora after the recruiter reached me about some openings. Scheduling process was quick and easy. Had 3 phone interviews - First with the hiring manager: mostly cultural stuff. Second with one of their engineers - It was a good interview and the interviewer was knowledgeable. Third with another engineer form the team - Was not well planned. It was scheduled for 45 minutes but the interview finished in 20 mins. Questions asked were so basic like designing a class. Got a reject after a couple of hours. Felt like they had already decided on the candidate for the role and it was more of an eye-wash.

Trainer, Advertising Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pandora Media (New York, NY).

Interview

First of all, it boggled my mind to see that someone else posted a very similar experience. The recruiter emailed me regarding this opening, they seemed so kind and on the ball. Then, they scheduled a phone interview with me and then guess what - NEVER even called me on the day/time they said that they would. SERIOUSLY, stood me up. I should've known from that experience alone that they were unprofessional and disorganized but, I really wanted to give people the benefit of the doubt because she was a human and humans make mistakes. I also was excited for the potential opportunity. After I reached out to this recruiter and tried on my end to reschedule via email, she did not email me back and instead called me a day and a half later claiming that she misscheduled me and hardly even apologized for it. Again, I turned the other cheek. A few days later, the phone interview with the recruiter finally happened and she proceeded to schedule a call between myself and the hiring manager. When the hiring manager called me, she let me know before officially starting the interview: "I don't have a lot of time and will just ask you a few questions to see if it's even worth my time to bring you in for an in-person interview." So nice and kind right? NOT. Why anyone would speak to a potential candidate like that is beyond me. After answering all of her questions to her liking, she then let me know that she'd like to have me come in for a training demonstration. Mind you, I have been in the training space for the last 5 years and saw this as a great opportunity to show my skills. When I arrived at the Pandora offices, I was greeted and led to a conference room where I would be doing this training demo in-front of the 2 team members in-person and 4 team member who were Web-Ex'd in from another location, including the hiring manager. I got great feedback from the team as a whole and felt like I did a great job as well. After waiting on pins and needles for an entire month, I finally got an email back from the recruiter saying that they have decided to pursue a different candidate. Naturally, I was disappointed but was ready to move on. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter because I'm out of the running but I thought the entire process was so unbelievably sketchy from the get-go. They have done a tremendous job in leaving a bad taste in my mouth and turn me off from ever applying to another job at Pandora in the future.

Interview Questions

• If you need to confront someone in the workplace, how would you go about doing it?   Answer Question

Senior IT Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Pandora Media in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online. Soon after I received I email asking question about my background, which I promptly replied back. Then silence; not a thanks, but no thanks or a single acknowledgement. I don't care how busy you are, that is disrespectful.

Audio Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pandora Media (Oakland, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I was referred for the position by a current employee. A few days after she made her referral, I was contacted by a recruiter for a phone screen. The call was very casual and easy, we talked a little bit about my background and experience and she gave me an overview of the role and the company culture. At the end of the call, she told me she would be moving me forward in the process and would send me an audio test. I completed the test within the specified time frame and sent it back. Two weeks passed and I received a note from the recruiter to let me know that I passed the audio test and the team was interested in bringing me in for an in-person interview. I met with 5 employees over an hour and a half block of time. There were a few technical questions relating to my audio test but overall the interviews were mostly conversational. It seemed like the general goal was to see if there was a personality fit and to make sure that my expectations aligned with the realities of the role. Everyone was really nice and seemed genuinely positive about the company and the team, which went a long way towards making me excited about potentially joining them. Overall it was probably one of the most pleasant interview experiences I've had. A little over a week later, the recruiter contacted me with an offer from the team.

IT Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Pandora Media (San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Interview was short, no questions related to job. Immediately got an email saying I was no longer being considered for the position. No reason given or obvious from the interview.

Interview Questions

• What would the person who hates you the most in the world say about you?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pandora Media.

Interview

Standard phone screen then either multiple in person interviews or if remote it would be skype and phone interviews. There are mock sales calls as well, make sure to practice! I had applied for another position at Pandora as well and had 5 interviews and didn't get the gig. Make sure to polish your answers and be yourself.