Panduit

Very Difficult Interview

Software Product Manager Interview

Software Product Manager
Tinley Park, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Panduit in October 2009.

Interview Details – I applied for the job online and never heard back from Panduit, but then a third-party recruiter found me through LinkedIn and asked me if I was interested in the position. We had a brief phone interview and he sent me a list of questions via email that I had to respond to. Then he called me to let me know that I had the okay to continue with the hiring process and that a phone interview was scheduled with a person from Panduit, who I assumed would be the hiring manager. (I found out later he wasn't the hiring manager, he wasn't even in the same department. I have no idea why I talked to this guy)

During the phone interview with the Panduit employee he asked why I wanted to work for Panduit. Quite frankly, I'm unemployed, was not looking forward to the prospect of a long commute to Tinley Park, had already heard terrible things about the company, but I came up with a few things to say. Then he asked what I liked about the job or what drew me to the job. Here I was honest and told him that it was a typical Product Management job, at which point he be became very offended. The job description could have been copied and pasted from any other Software Product Manager job, but then again, the company allegedly has never had a software product manager before, just hardware product managers, so perhaps he just didn't have an understanding of what a software product manager was.

After the phone interview I heard back from the recruiter and was told that they wanted me to come in on Thursday for a face to face interview and he would get back to me. I didn't hear from him so I called him back. No response. Thursday came and went. He called back and told me that it would be next Thursday. This continued for a few weeks. I later determined that Thursday was their "interview" day. When my interview finally was scheduled, I showed up at the exact same time as another candidate for the exact same job. They put me in one conference room and him in another and conducted a round robin type of interview schedule. Oh, it gets better. I was told the interview would last from 8:00am to 3:00pm. I assumed that would include a 2-hour lunch with a few folks. Oh no. 45-minutes, with a coupon for their gross in-house cafeteria that was handed to me at the beginning of the day. There was no official scheduled lunch, just an open time slot. The guy who interviewed me before the open lunch slot offered to show me the way to the cafeteria and eat with me. Thank God. Also, after the hr rep asked me my salary requirements, he asked me how low I would be willing to go. Hahahahaha. I had already quoted him the average salary for a software product manager, but apparently they aren't familiar with those statistics.

I interviewed with 7 people that day. I never got a straight answer as to who had been managing the product prior to that time. I got very confusing answers as to how the product would be managed moving forward. At the end of the day, the last person who interviewed me, said wait here in the lobby and I'll see if you're supposed to talk to anyone else. After a few moments the receptionist's phone rang and after talking for a moment she informed me I could leave.

The next morning I received an email from the recruiter that they were moving forward with other candidates. I was so glad I hadn't bothered sending 7 thank you emails.

Oh, and the following week I noticed that the job had been re-posted.

Arguably, laughably, the worst interview I have ever had the misfortune of experience. I'm still unemployed, but I'm still glad I didn't get the offer.

Interview Question – Each person had been provided with a list of questions to ask me. Unfortunately they were the same questions. None of the questions were very challenging. Nothing comes to mind.   Answer Question

Engineering Manager Interview

Engineering Manager

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Panduit in June 2009.

Interview Details – Interview was not conducted in a planned manner.

Interview Question – Describe your management style   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Tinley Park, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at Panduit in March 2009.

Interview Details – Sat me in a room all day with various interviewers coming in and out for the entire interview. Claustrophobic. What are they hiding?

Interview Question – Why are you here? Duh!   View Answer

Sales Interview

Sales
Tinley Park, IL

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Panduit in September 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter about an open position overseas for which my qualifications would have made me qualified. I was asked if I would be able to relocate overseas for the job and I provided them an affirmative answer. I was told that I would have a telephone interview with the Global Sales Manager.

This interview went off as advertised, with normal/typical questions asked regarding past experiences, what-if scenarios and expectations. The time for the interview took approximately 30 minutes. I was informed later in the week by the recruiter that I had been selected for an in-person interview at the Panduit World Headquarters. This took place in mid-September. All travel arrangements were taken care of by the HR personnel and I appreciated that I did not have to do anything -- everything was arranged for me.

The in-person interview was a 3-person panel interview. The interview started about 5 minutes late because one of the panel got out of a meeting late. The interview started with them asking me to give a history of my professional life. I was mid-way through this portion when the 3rd person arrived. I asked if I should start over and did so in order that everyone was on the same footing.

The interview panel consisted of the Global Sales Manager, the Global Industry Solutions Manager, and a Senior HR Manager. The question that I thought odd for me was the "Why Europe?" question. I was being hired for a specific position that would move me to Europe. Why Europe? Because that is what you are hiring me to work! Oh well.

Because I had had the telephone interview with the Global Sales Manager earlier in the month, he was able to ask questions that were deeper than the typical interview questions. The HR Manager asked most of the questions that are standard for interviews. The Global Industry Solutions Manager asked several questions that I felt were softballs for me -- and I appreciated my ability to answer them! Thanks!

The entire interview took over 75 minutes -- longer than the 45-60 minutes they asked me to arrange in the first place. I thought that since I was there longer than prescribed time that was a positive.

The Panduit World Headquarters building is a very nice building that has incorporated the Unified Physical Infrastructure (UPI) design they are trying to model their products toward.

Because the company is privately held -- family owned -- it was extremely difficult to do conduct my due diligence for financials on the company. The company website is somewhat useful for information, but digging around I found many disgruntled former/current workers posting their displeasure about the company. That is a bit unnerving, but I always want to give the benefit of the doubt and observe things for myself before I make up my mind.

Overall, I thought the interview process went well. I thought it was very professional and well thought through on the company's part. I was not selected for the position. I am not upset or disgruntled -- I truly hope that the person they hired is everything they hope they will be and that the candidate is happy with the company.

Interview Questions

• Why Europe?   View Answer
  • Tell me about a problem you encountered in a previous job that you solved.   Answer Question
  • Where do you see yourself in 30 / 60 / 90 days? What do you hope to accomplish in these timelines?   View Answer
  • Do you have any questions for us?   View Answer

Business Development Manager Interview

Business Development Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Panduit.

Interview Details – Had about 2 phone screens/ 1 with HR/ 1 with hiring manager.
Then went onsite 2X with about 4 different people-- General background/Technology questions--- Good experience

Interview Question – NA   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Burr Ridge, IL

I applied online and interviewed at Panduit.

Interview Details – A joke.

Interview Question – None really. It was pretty straight forward.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Pay was low and reviews were bad. I didn't want to go down this road.

TAM Interview

TAM

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Panduit in August 2009.

Interview Details – Classical interview thru different sales level (team AM ans SE), n+1, n+2, and HR

Interview Question – Typical question for any sales position   Answer Question

District Sales Manager Interview

District Sales Manager

I applied through other source - interviewed at Panduit in August 2013.

Interview Details – Varies--changes every year. Currently, they use an outside recruiter. A colleague interviewed for a promotion and the hiring manager kept texting and using his I-pad. It took them 10 weeks to make a decision, with no communication to the internal candidates during that time.

Interview Question – to paraphrase: you just surgery a few months ago, are you sure you are up to the task?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate salary as they would not budge on the vacation time.

Scheduler Interview

Scheduler
Tinley Park, IL

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Panduit in September 2010.

Interview Details – Hired young out of school. Entry level.

Interview Question – Where will you be in 5 years.   View Answer

Manufacturing Engineer Intern Interview

Manufacturing Engineer Intern
Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Panduit in May 2013.

Interview Details – One interview conducted with Engineering Manager. He was friendly and interview was not tense. Questions were largely based on experience in engineering.

Interview Question – How would you handle a situation where an experienced worker (working under you) challenges your opinion.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Panduit

Worked for Panduit? Contribute to the Community!