Panera Bread

Very Difficult Interview

Baker - Day Shift Interview

Baker - Day Shift
Manalapan, NJ

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Panera Bread in July 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online; was contacted by company. Set up interview, day of I called to cancel and girl who I spoke with was not there. Called numerous times stating what had happened to Hiring Manager and was given a rude, discourteous response. Should not put employees anywhere near phones, huge headache and not worth it.

Interview Question – Did I have open availability?   View Answer

Interviewed for Management Interview

Interviewed for Management
Lexington-Fayette, KY

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Panera Bread in July 2012.

Interview Details – Long I was told I would know something friday and then next friday and then 5 weeks went by before I started.

Interview Question – Why MY position was eliminated. And was told it was odd for a veterinary clinic to have layoffs?   Answer Question

Broomall, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Panera Bread in January 2010.

Interview Details – Was contacted by Hr when I was transitioning jobs... I was interviewed by three different men and no woman. No woman in upper management which is very sexist. Interview process took over a month which was ridiculous and very unorganized. I wish they didnt string it this long. When I got the job offer i was strung along even more then finally started.. Training was bad as managers who trained me did not seem to care about me one bit.

Negotiation Details – 35 k for 50 hrs a wk.. worked 60. 10 hrs for free is ridiculous with a bunch of dumb tedious jobs and expectations. sick of it then moved just recently and was able to get away from this hell. this is just not a good place to work

Production Associate Interview

Production Associate
Citrus Heights, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Panera Bread in August 2013.

Interview Details – The first interview was a group interview where you had to memorize and explain a menu item. The second interview was with a mid-level manager who was supposed to stall until the arrival of a higher manager who did not show up. The third interview was with a new manager and ultimately a technicality. I was offered the job that day.

Interview Question – What is the difference between customer service and hospitality?   Answer Question

Prep and Hourly Associate Interview

Prep and Hourly Associate
Westfield, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Panera Bread in March 2012.

Interview Details – After I applied online it took a week to hear from Panera. I got a call from the assistant GM and came in for the interiew. She asked alot of basic questions, was very upbeat, and seemed to show interest in my application. She scheduled me to meet up with the GM for the next day. I came in to meet him and was disappointed from the start, he seemed nice enough but was very distracted. He kept looking around him, behind the counter, and all around during the interview. I would have understood if they had been terribly busy or had few people working but there werent many people in line and he had 6 people working. He didn't seem prepared for the interview in any way, when he did ask me a question I would answer and he would seem confused about the information I gave him or he would leaf through my application to look at my info again and again. I'm a bit confused as to why someone would agree to an interview without even looking at the applicants information, or why when we did speak he would not meet my eyes. He finally ended the interview saying he would have the assistant GM call me in a few days to let me know if I had got the job or not. after a week of not hearing from anyone I called and was told by her that they would be going with another person. I was surprised by this as I had experience for the job I had applied for. I sincerely hope Panera re-thinks the way they treat their applicants or they will miss out on some great people.

Interview Questions

Columbus, OH

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Panera Bread in April 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process is pretty standard. Interview with District Manager, then with Market Manager. You have a possibility of a peer interview as well where you work in the store itself just to see what its like. Overall pretty easy as long as you have restaurant experience or management experience, and smile often.

Interview Question – What makes you interested and qualified for a management position?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Panera Bread in June 2010.

Interview Details – I emailed my resume online along with turning a copy into my local Panera. I spoke with the General Manager of the store when I turned in the resume and received a call from the District Manager within 2 days. I had 2 phone interviews and 2 face to face interviews.

Interview Question – There were many situational questions.   Answer Question

Shift Supervisor Interview

Shift Supervisor

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Panera Bread in August 2010.

Interview Details – everyone was very nice. they did very well to sell the company. they were very misleading about the work hours you actually work.

Interview Question – what would you do to improve communitie ties as an employee   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – that was ok. i think the give you an offer based on how well you interviwed

Assistant Manager

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Panera Bread in November 2011.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview. Then I had a one on one with the district manager who was friendly and upbeat. I had a third interview with anothe district manager who said he would recommend me for hire. Lastly I had a shadow shft for a couple hours which allowed me to talk to employees and get a feel of the flow of the store.

Interview Question – How did you handle a situation where you had to let someone go?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did some research of average salaries and asked for what I had seen online. With my experience they offered me more! Was very happy!

Cashier Interview

Cashier
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Panera Bread in November 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online for cashier position. Two weeks later received a phone call to schedule interview for the following friday and 10 am. I showed up to the interview with black pants and a nice dressing shirt. Show people was wearing jeans and sneaker, wasn't very professional if u ask me. The interview process was 1 on 1. My interview took place with the manager and general manager. They asked you why panera bread? do u have customer sevice skills? can you handle an agry customer? The interview was straight to the point with the questions. I answer each questions to the best of my ability. After all the questions, I was offered the position on the spot but they told me exactly what my position entitles. I will be making coffees/teas. I will be delivered people their food at their tables and cleaning up after they finish their food. I will be cleaning the bathrooms for the customers and making sure it stay stock with tissues etc. Than they offered me a salary of 8.00 an hr when i was getting paid 11.00 at my prior job. They took cashier and turn it into a janitor,barista jobs all in one. Instead of hiring the people specialized in those positions. I turned the job down because all that work doesn't qualify as a cashier position especially not at 8.00 an hour.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – I turned down the job because it wasn't a cashier position after all. It turned out to be get a person to do janitor work, barista work and ring up customer for 8.00 an hour instead of hiring people for those positions. Panera bread takes advantage of their workers because cashiers isn't suppose to clean bathrooms.

Worked for Panera Bread? Contribute to the Community!