Panera Bread

Updated Nov 19, 2014
Updated Nov 19, 2014

2.0

Cashier/Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Panera Bread.

I loved working at Panera but the only down side to me was closing and having an immature manager. Once you fill the application out online, I had called up there and one manager contacted me the beginning of the next week. The interview process was relatively simple, just smile and answer questions honestly which just pertain to work experience and why you feel your a good fit to deliver 'Panera Warmth'.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with irate, irrational customers?   Answer Question
    • What should you do if you witness another associate or even a manager stealing.?   Answer Question
    You start at $8.00 an hour but after 6 months you get a raise and if you become a trainer you get an additional raise, so there is definitely room for growth at Panera Bread.

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Panera Bread.

Had one interview a few days after applying. I was interviewed by the manager and hired on the spot. The interviewer was very nice and professional. After I was hired there was an orientation where they just showed me around the store and did paperwork.

Interview Questions
    Make sure you know that they don't give you the position you interviewed for. You have to start by working in the food preparation.

Crew Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Panera Bread.

They gave me a cup to get a drink and they asked basic questions about my past experiences. There was not many hard questions and took less than 15 minutes. The manger really acted like he didn't want to be there and told me they are interviewing many people and to call back in 3 days to check on my application.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Panera Bread.

I must have applied at a good time or a time when they were really short on help, because all three Panera locations I applied to (online) called me that day to set up interviews. I was completely surprised because I am use to companies taking almost a month to contact me. I still have one interview to go, but so far both interviews were very positive experiences. This is high praise from me because I am introverted and hate interviews and "selling myself."

Interview Questions
    • What would your friends say your strengths/weaknesses are?   View Answer
    No negotiation on my part. I think if you're a really good fit or have previous experience at Panera you might be able to negotiate. I chose not to try.

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Panera Bread.

I expected the interview to be a whole lot more difficult than I thought. The interview was fairly easy. The GM made me feel very comfortable and acted as if she already knew me. I was hired on the spot but it did take about a month for me to actually come in and work.

Interview Questions
    • There were three questions asked. Nothing too difficult.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Panera Bread in August 2014.

I applied a few months before my interview but I was not considered because I did not have prior experience. I later received a job at another restaurant so I updated my Panera application online. I was called back almost two weeks later. I interviewed with one of the managers and it went well. He asked me to come back the next day to speak with another manager. After speaking to the other manager the next day, she offered me the job on the spot.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, SC

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Panera Bread in August 2014.

I applied for this position with the online application. Approximately three day later someone called me for an interview. Everyone was very nice and friendly and I feel that it went well. They asked me to come win the next day for an interview for catering. The second interview was very informative. I got an opportunity to job shadow a catering coordinator to see if I would like it.

Interview Questions
    Not much negotiation... They offered me an associate position for $8.00/hr and I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Panera Bread in August 2014.

I applied online and was contacted 3 days later to join a group interview with the general manager of the new store, training/scheduling manger, and manager of another store in the area. In the group interview we sat in a semi circle in front of a TV where they played videos about Panera Bread and their company values and the "Panera Warmth". We were also asked to create a skit in which we had to showcase how well we work in a team. Then they ended the interview explaining that we would be contacted the next day for a second interview. We asked questions and they answered and we were gifted a baguette to take home. The interview was relax and a great experienced. I was called the next day to come in for a second interview which will be more personal and about the individual.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was when given 10 min to come up with a skit without much direction.   View Answer
    Just show your personality and be passionate about wanting to work for Panera Bread. They want friendly employees with good attitudes. Dress your best and don't be nervous.

Corporate IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Panera Bread.

Process took over three months and was a complete disorganized mess. The HR person forgot to call me for the phone screen. I met with five people at the office, three of whom did not even know what I was being interviewed for.

They speak a lot about culture and their 'No Jerks' policy. A couple of the people that I interviewed with were the very definition of jerks. The seemed very interested in telling me how they were more important than the other people I interviewed with. It was pretty obvious the politics there are awful. These were director and VP level people that are clearly unqualified for their positions. I was very unimpressed and it was clear a couple of them have never worked in a real IT shop. One of the interviews was via video conference in their Boston office. He spent most of the interview talking about himself.

Since they spoke so much about diversity I asked about women in leadership. There were no women in the 25+ director and VP slots at Panera. This company is run by amateurs.

Night Baker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Panera Bread.

I was interviewed in front of two managers. One was the bakery sector manager, and the other was the store manager. The bakery manager was very welcoming and friendly. Asked me the typical questions ("Why do you want to work here?") and the store manager was extremely rude with her input about my questions, ("Well are you going to quit your other job soon? This is a big boy job after all.") as if my questions weren't appeasing her. The bakery manager gave her a look - the tension was quite obvious - and after the questions he walked me out and apologized for her behavior. He became my boss and I learned later that she was just an unpleasant woman after all who knew nothing about the bakery sector whatsoever. There was a 2nd interview who was supposed to be with a GM but the GM never bothered to come in so my boss came in and gave me the 2nd interview himself. Then came orientation. It was so straightforward I wondered why they waited 5 months to respond to my application.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about working unsupervised?   View Answer
    The starting rate is at $10/hr for Panera under Covelli Enterprise. Because I had a baking associate degree, he said he would give me $0.50 more. I know now that other's have been brought in at $11 for having management background - but I was told that that employee was hired by another manager and given too high of a wage to start out with - an undoable mistake.