Papa John's Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

1.4

Pizza Delivery Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Papa John's (Alexandria, VA) in October 2014.

Interview

I spontaneously walked into the store after driving by a sign in the front of the parking lot saying one could make $11-$15/hour cash as a delivery driver, and that they were now hiring. I inquired about the positions to the woman (a supervisor) behind the cash register. She told me the store had run out of application forms, but I could just write my name and phone number on a piece of paper, which she gave me. Somewhat to my surprise, she right away called the manager to the front, and he greeted me and asked me a few very practical questions like when could I start, did I own a vehicle in good working condition, was my car insured, did I have a valid driver's license, and did I have any driving citations on my record. I answered all these to his satisfaction, and he said he would get back to me soon.

Five days later, he called me and offered me 25 hours a week, asking me when I could come in to fill out some computerized forms and start work. He said I could do so that day if I liked. I was on another job that day, so I told him I could come in the following day; we agreed on 3 p.m..

So the next day I sat at the manager's desk and filled out most of the forms myself on his computer. The forms essentially asked the same types of questions the manager had asked me earlier, as well as some basic personal information questions like contact data and social security number, as well as about my legal status and criminal background. At no time was I asked to provide any information about my employment history or references, much less educational background, why I left my previous job, why I wanted this job, what relevant experience I had, or any personal traits that would enable me to do this job well (beyond having a clean record). After I finished filling out the forms, the manager told me that all the information I'd provided about my records would go through a central system in a few days to be checked and cleared, but meanwhile, I could start work, which I did then and there.

Another recent hire told me yesterday that he didn't yet have an official driver's license, though, so I'm skeptical that the background checks are even done. My sense is that the store was (and often is) just really anxious to beef up its staff, so the finer details of background and qualifications are just not something they wanted, or could afford, to explore. I think they realize that because of the nature of the work, their employees come and go all the time and that it's unrealistic to expect "dream" candidates. Warm, basically capable bodies are closer to what they want and need. This was just fine with me-- especially at that time, because I had been out of work for awhile and needed something right away. I had also gotten really tired by that point of the involved application processes I'd been through with other companies. It was extremely refreshing to have a quick, no-nonsense hiring process!

Interview Questions

• I was actually surprised and delighted that there were no difficult or unexpected questions at all. In fact, if anything, I was impressed by how many questions they didn't ask.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Papa John's offers the same rate to all their drivers, so there is no option for negotiation. To elaborate on their payment system, they pay $3/hour for delivery time and $7.25/hour for store time (between deliveries), plus a $1.26 commission per delivery to defray gas and car maintenance costs--plus tips. The majority of drivers' incomes comes from tips. Putting together all these revenues, I have calculated that my earnings do indeed fall in the low range of their advertised $11-$15 range. More experienced drivers are given multiple deliveries at a time and so are able to earn in the higher range. One driver who has been there about three years told me that on a good day he can bring in as much as $20/hour. It also helps to have as much of one's schedule fall during peak business hours, which are about 4:30 p.m.-9:00 p.m., give or take, every day. Their busiest night is Friday, but to prepare for this, they often have so many employees scheduled on this night that each individual driver can wind up being not much busier than any other night. So I would say that any day during the hours above is the best time to be scheduled for delivery work.

Insider Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Papa John's.

Interview

I came in to the office (a small room closed off from the store with a one-way mirror) and he asked a few questions. Very casual and it didn't seem very well planned. I got the job that day as they were in need of workers.

Negotiation

No negotiation. Minimum wage. Work your way up to around 20 hours a week.

Insider Interview

Interview

Very simple hiring process for the branch I applied to. Had to fill out application ( only took a few mins) and talked with the general manager after returning it the next day. Hired due to short staffing.

Pizza Delivery Driver Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Papa John's.

Interview

Was straight forward. Need license and insurance. Applied online. Got a call back, interviewed on site. Got a call back and was offered the job. I started less than a week after applying.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Non-negotiable

Delivery Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indian Trail, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Papa John's (Indian Trail, NC) in September 2014.

Interview

I walked into the interview, and was greeted by a quiet girl with whom I had gone from high school. She asked the basic questions. ("Why do you want to work here?" "Do you have any experience?" "Are you a licensed driver?") The interview could not have been more than a half hour, and I was hired on the spot.

Negotiation

Minimum wage plus tips and mileage. Non-negotiable.

Delivery Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Papa John's (Fort Collins, CO) in September 2014.

Interview

Turned in an application in person and a few days later I went back in and asked if they had a chance to review my application and the hiring manager told me to come in the next day for an interview. Interview was pretty easy and laid back. I wore kakis and a polo to the interview. They asked basic questions like "What is your availability?" "Can you work weekends?" "How do you do under stress?" Interview lasted about 10 minutes before I was offered the job.

Interview Questions

• How do you do when under pressure or stress?   1 Answer

Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Papa John's (Cincinnati, OH).

Interview

Filled out application online, got an email for the interview three days later came in for interview two days after that. The interview was short less than five minutes it was pretty straight forward just questions about my availability.

Interview Questions

They say part time but its really not true. They also will not adjust days for schooling so weekday availability preferred as well as weekends.

Digital Marketing Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Papa John's.

Interview

I was initially contacted through LinkedIn via the hiring manager. They sent me the job description and asked me if I would be interested. I applied online and messaged him back letting him know that I found this to be an exciting opportunity.

A few days later I got a call from HR asking to schedule a phone interview. I later came to find out that this was the "phone screening" process. I had about a 15 minute conversation with HR that asked standard interview questions and prompted me about my previous experience on my resume. It seemed as though he asked 2-3 common interview questions, 2-3 questions about my experience and 2-3 questions the person looking to fill the position would want to know. I think he was taking notes while I was talking. I am sure he probably gave those notes to the person hiring for the position.

A day later I was contacted again to set up an in person interview by the end of the week. It seemed to me that they were wanting to move this along quickly. The day before my interview they had to change it to a phone interview because the person doing the interview had to leave town. This interview had similar questions to the phone screen. It was pretty basic, just wanting to know my experience. The interviewer talked a lot more than I did and almost seemed to be selling me the job.

The next day, again I was contacted by HR wanting to reschedule the in-person interview. I figured that the first time we spoke was more to just be polite and not cancel because the in-person interview was more of what I expected from the process. I interviewed with 2 men that I would be working with. They both took turns asking questions. The conversation was pretty relaxed yet formal. The interview probably lasted a half an hour.

It was right around the holidays so this time it took them a while to get back to me but the next time they contacted me (3 weeks later) it was to offer me the job.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is the most important quality in an employee?   Answer Question

Cashier/Food Handler Interview

Interview

I meet the manager because my friend's sister use to work there. He needed people really badly so he told me to come in with my papers and everything. When I went to go give him my papers , he just told me to come in in a few days for training.

Phone Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Papa John's (Houston, TX) in July 2014.

Interview

I walked in and asked if I could speak to the manager as I was dropping off my application. He took me to him and asked one question. I filled out an employee form on their computer and the manager told me to come back the next week...

Interview Questions

• Are you okay with answering phones?   1 Answer