Papa John's

Updated Dec 7, 2014

1.3

28 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Pizza Delivery Driver Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Papa John's.

Showed up, filled out app, called the manager, got a call back went to inter view and got the job.
Been working there ever since. good job for easy work

Other Interview Reviews for Papa John's

Pizza Delivery Driver Interview

One simple interview to determine if I had the resources(a car) to deliver with and how I would interact with customers. The questions were not too difficult. They also want to see if you will get along with other employees.

Pizza Delivery Driver Interview

I turned in a paper application, the hiring process has since turned web based. After a few days I received a call for an interview. The store's manager asked me normal questions. They gave me 2 weeks to end things with my old job amicably.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think makes a good delivery driver?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Papa John's in October 2014.

I spontaneously walked into the store after driving by a sign in the front of the parking lot saying one could make $11-$15/hour cash as a delivery driver, and that they were now hiring. I inquired about the positions to the woman (a supervisor) behind the cash register. She told me the store had run out of application forms, but I could just write my name and phone number on a piece of paper, which she gave me. Somewhat to my surprise, she right away called the manager to the front, and he greeted me and asked me a few very practical questions like when could I start, did I own a vehicle in good working condition, was my car insured, did I have a valid driver's license, and did I have any driving citations on my record. I answered all these to his satisfaction, and he said he would get back to me soon.

Five days later, he called me and offered me 25 hours a week, asking me when I could come in to fill out some computerized forms and start work. He said I could do so that day if I liked. I was on another job that day, so I told him I could come in the following day; we agreed on 3 p.m..

So the next day I sat at the manager's desk and filled out most of the forms myself on his computer. The forms essentially asked the same types of questions the manager had asked me earlier, as well as some basic personal information questions like contact data and social security number, as well as about my legal status and criminal background. At no time was I asked to provide any information about my employment history or references, much less educational background, why I left my previous job, why I wanted this job, what relevant experience I had, or any personal traits that would enable me to do this job well (beyond having a clean record). After I finished filling out the forms, the manager told me that all the information I'd provided about my records would go through a central system in a few days to be checked and cleared, but meanwhile, I could start work, which I did then and there.

Another recent hire told me yesterday that he didn't yet have an official driver's license, though, so I'm skeptical that the background checks are even done. My sense is that the store was (and often is) just really anxious to beef up its staff, so the finer details of background and qualifications are just not something they wanted, or could afford, to explore. I think they realize that because of the nature of the work, their employees come and go all the time and that it's unrealistic to expect "dream" candidates. Warm, basically capable bodies are closer to what they want and need. This was just fine with me-- especially at that time, because I had been out of work for awhile and needed something right away. I had also gotten really tired by that point of the involved application processes I'd been through with other companies. It was extremely refreshing to have a quick, no-nonsense hiring process!

Interview Questions
    • I was actually surprised and delighted that there were no difficult or unexpected questions at all. In fact, if anything, I was impressed by how many questions they didn't ask.   Answer Question
    Papa John's offers the same rate to all their drivers, so there is no option for negotiation. To elaborate on their payment system, they pay $3/hour for delivery time and $7.25/hour for store time (between deliveries), plus a $1.26 commission per delivery to defray gas and car maintenance costs--plus tips. The majority of drivers' incomes comes from tips. Putting together all these revenues, I have calculated that my earnings do indeed fall in the low range of their advertised $11-$15 range. More experienced drivers are given multiple deliveries at a time and so are able to earn in the higher range. One driver who has been there about three years told me that on a good day he can bring in as much as $20/hour. It also helps to have as much of one's schedule fall during peak business hours, which are about 4:30 p.m.-9:00 p.m., give or take, every day. Their busiest night is Friday, but to prepare for this, they often have so many employees scheduled on this night that each individual driver can wind up being not much busier than any other night. So I would say that any day during the hours above is the best time to be scheduled for delivery work.

Pizza Delivery Driver Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Papa John's.

Was straight forward. Need license and insurance. Applied online. Got a call back, interviewed on site. Got a call back and was offered the job. I started less than a week after applying.

Non-negotiable

Pizza Delivery Driver Interview

Hey brother, there is an endless road to rediscover. Hey, sister, Hello bye, I say hello, I say say goodbye. What is up there dog hey brother hey sister.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Papa John's.

basically they email or call you for an interview and sell you the job. if it all sounds good to you they run a background and mvr check and if that clears they bring you in for training which takes a few days to a week based on demand.

no negotiation, pay is already set

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Bay, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Bay, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Papa John's in March 2014.

Filled out aplication and they hired me. They asked me questions about my driving record and my background. The pay and hours were covered and there were no surprises. The went over daily duties

My car broke down

Pizza Delivery Driver Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Papa John's in December 2013.

Interview was about five minutes long. The manager just asked me where I used to work and what I did there and then he told me more about what I would be doing when I start.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roanoke, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roanoke, VA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Papa John's in December 2013.

I went in dressed somewhat casually. I was asked if I wanted the job. I said yes.