Paper Source

Average Difficulty
23 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Service Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Paper Source in August 2014.

Interview Details – I went in person to the store with my resume and cover letter. They called me next day to schedule an interview. What made the difference was that i attached to the resume some samples of my work and they loved it.

Interview Question – What do you think will be a normal day if you work here?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation.

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Associate

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Paper Source in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online for a seasonal position, I received a call the next day. Had an interview the next week. The store manager said I was hired, she checked my references, and I got the job.

Very Easy Interview

Management Interview

Management

I applied through other source and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Paper Source.

Interview Details – There was an extensive phone interview. After that a 1:1 meeting was set up with Hiring Manager with a presentation of 3-5 examples of craft related work, typical questions and expected compensation question.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected, usually questions about their core values, behaviorial management style, building sales and add ons, UPTs, budgets, ability to teach, and craft.   Answer Question

PT Sales Associate Interview

PT Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Paper Source.

Interview Details – Lots of run-around, but persistence is key to getting hired. I actually had a more difficult time because my application got transferred to another location. Essentially, I applied to work in Brooklyn by showing up, asking if they were hiring, and filling out an application on the spot. A few days later, I got an email scheduling me for an interview that week. The interview went okay. I spoke about my love for the store and my past experience. Within two days, I heard back that I had not been hired but that another location was hiring and that my information could be forwarded there. Eager, I accepted this offer.

I would not have gotten the job at all had I not called persistently. I felt annoying a lot of the time. I would leave my number and no one would get back to me, and the manager was always "out". I just wanted to follow up on the job opening! After a week of constantly trying to secure an interview, I was finally able to reach the assistant manger by phone, and she set me up for an interview the next day. This went well, and in a few days I was contacted to meet the store manager. To both interviews, I brought art samples and spoke passionately about my love for the store and past experience. After the second interview, I got the job and started that same week!

Interview Question – "What would you say to a customer who doesn't think they're creative?"   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Paper Source in July 2012.

Interview Details – There were two round of interviews. One with the assistant manager and one with the store manager. They will ask very specifically your creative crafting experience and ask to see samples. They want skilled people who can inspire customers and educate them on different methods. Because the clients can be so diverse, all sorts of personal creative experience is useful to talk about.

Interview Question – A lot were behavioral based, like how do you interact with people, how can you learn their project needs, and how comfortable are you at teaching them to use products?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was not a negotiation phase.

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
Chicago, IL

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Paper Source.

Interview Details – I noticed an advertisement in the store window for a store manager. I telephoned corporate and was briefly interviewed via telephone. 2 days later, I was interviewed at the store front by a corporate HR representative who flew in from Chicago. 2 days later I was interviewed by the Regional Sales Manager at the store front. He flew in from Chicago. At this interview I was asked to bring a sample of some of the crafts I was currently working on. 3 days later I was flown to Chicago to interview with the CFO and 6 other corporate leaders.

Interview Question – Questions were based on management style, organizational abilities, grasp of retail management principles, entrepreneurial abilities, my plan for
Growing the brand in a new market place and driving sales. Also ability to craft.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was very straight forward. Corporate sent a letter of intent stating salary and start date. I was given 24 hours to review it, sign and fax it back to the Regional Sales Manager. I was flown to Chicago for a week of intensive training. Then returned to assume Store Manager duties at my store.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Assistant Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Paper Source.

Interview Details – 1. My interview date changed 3 times before it was finally confirmed. I've met colleagues who were called and told to be at a given location for an interview with only one hour's notice. There are only a handful of people in Chicago responsible for scheduling interviews for stores nationwide - they are often stretched too thin to be efficient/competent.
2. Interviews are not particularly high-pressure. Mostly, they are looking for someone who speaks extensively about the importance of meeting sales goals and customer engagement.
3. Don't worry if you don't have a creative background; it's retail sales experience that matters most.

Interview Question – Bring a creative sample to your interview to share and discuss!   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is almost no room for salary negotiation. If you are dismayed by the hourly rate you are offered, know that that may be the end of the road for you - I have never witnessed anyone successfully negotiate for more money, regardless of the skills or enthusiasm they bring to the table. PS sticks to their hiring budget, and have lost many talented candidates in the process.

Key Holder Interview

Key Holder
Studio City, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Paper Source in October 2012.

Interview Details – Always submit application in person, be persistent. Applications submitted online are hardly seen by store managers because they go through review of corporate hiring officers and head hunters.

Once called for interview, dress the part. Not a suit and tie environment. Think Anthropologie/The Gap/Club Monaco. You want to seem like someone who knows the brand and is comfortable in that environment.

Crafting skills are not necessarily required, but are very much preferred. You may be asked to bring in some samples of your work.

You will be asked about how your experience can be utilized in a crafting store that also needs to meet its daily goals.

You will be asked what your intentions are for the future, where you see yourself in the company. They are highly invested in finding potential upper management, as the company keeps expanding.

Once you've had your first interview, you may be asked to be 'observed in the environment' meaning, they will put you at the demo cart to craft something and see how you acknowledge and respond to customers which is not considered training but seems like an audition for the part.

They will immediately check your background if interested in you.

Interview Question – What do you feel Paper Source embodies and how can you apply your unique talents to our individual store?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Wage is non-negotiable under Store Management position. They will call, propose an "offer" such as position, full time/part time/seasonal and pay. Not a negotiation phase just an offer to be accepted or declined.

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Paper Source.

Interview Details – Submitted resume and was contacted to schedule a phone interview. The interview lasted just under an hour.

Interview Question – There were many questions pertaining Paper Source that require detailed knowledge of the "Paper Source Experience". Do your homework if you are not familiar.   Answer Question

PT Customer Service Interview

PT Customer Service
Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Paper Source in June 2013.

Interview Details – The PT customer service was posted on their website and within a week, I was called and had a simple and pleasant interview asking to elaborate on my resume, which led to one on one interview with the store manager. The interview was fairly good, they asked me question about my background in the arts and crafts and questions about my experiences about customer service and what I could do to improve their services. The only off-putting experience of this interview was that they promised to call within a week after the interview to notify me if I had or had not gotten the job. It's been well over two weeks and nothing from them. I find it quite rude and annoying.

Interview Question – Give me three traits about you?   Answer Question

Worked for Paper Source? Contribute to the Community!