Paper Source Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2015
Updated Mar 23, 2015

2.6

Store Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Paper Source.

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn for a Store Manager position. I discussed in-person with the recruiter the fact that I was a Store Manager currently, and expected to receive a Store Manager position with accompanying salary. I met with the District Manager, who then informed me that there were not any Store Manager positions available in the area. When I spoke to the recruiter next, she offered me an Assistant Manager position (with a salary that was 30% less than discussed). I informed her that I would not be able to accept such a step down in position or such a cut in salary.

Interview Questions
    • "Would you be interested in an Assistant Manager position instead?"   Answer Question

I am not interested in taking a step down in my career, and frankly, I have bills to pay, and the salary offered would have left me better off on unemployment.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Paper Source in February 2015.

This was the most positive and pleasant experience, from start to finish, that I have ever had with a Company in my entire Career! The interview process started with a phone interview with the loveliest, most genuine Recruiter I have ever had the pleasure to meet. She was able to set me up with an in person interview with the RM, the same day. The next week, Paper Source generously flew me out to their Corporate Office. The Recruiter took me on a Tour of the facilities where I was able to view the Warehouse, Production, and Customer Print! I then interviewed with the COO, Store Operations, and the Field Recruitment Manager. All of which were so humble, down to earth, and welcoming! I was offered a position by the RM later that evening, which of course I accepted!! It was mind-blowing to see how much a Company would invest in a Potential Candidate. This is a Company that genuinely takes care of their people. I am so grateful for my experience and am so proud to now be part of such an amazing company! Thank you Paper Source!

Interview Questions
    • What will be your greatest challenge in taking this position?   Answer Question

Mar 3, 2015Manager- Field Recruitment

We can't wait for you to start! Congratulations.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Paper Source.

The interview was held at in a hotel lobby, very informal. It was expected that I bring samples of my "crafts". I brought an art portfolio but actual crafts are what are wanted. They are looking for people who create things with paper and are experienced in retail.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't an difficult or unexpected questions. This interview was so informal that we spent most of it just talking as if we were friends (stuff about the weather and kids and what not).   View Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Paper Source in January 2015.

I applied online for an assistant manager position. I was contacted by telephone a few days later. Though the position I hoped for had been filled, I agreed to a preliminary interview for sales associate over the phone. There were a few qualifying questions regarding experience, then I was given an appointment for an in-person interview a few weeks hence.
    Each encounter had a very friendly, upbeat and casual feel. The company rep and the new store manager were easy to talk with..

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a recent project that you've completed of which you are most proud".   Answer Question
    There isn't much room for negotiation for retail sales positions.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

it took three interviews to get the job. but it makes sense.there's a lot to learn and they're going to have to invest their time in teaching you.so I want to make sure that you have a passion for the product and you are willing to invest yourself.

Interview Questions
    • Paper Source wants to know about who you are and why you'd want to work for them?   Answer Question
    negotiation face is very upfront. and it worked out well.

Nov 3, 2014Manager- Field Recruitment

Thanks for the feedback. We take great pride in who we place in our stores and take our interviewing and hiring very seriously. Welcome to Paper Source!

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Application was online, simple form that included uploading resume & cover letter. Received call to schedule an in person interview about 2 weeks after submitting application. Interview was easy and pretty laid back.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly questions regarding past employers and experience. Having creative passion or past creative experience was a bonus. Be expected to answer the usual customer service questions (most difficult customer, etc)   Answer Question

Customer Service Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paper Source in August 2014.

I went in person to the store with my resume and cover letter. They called me next day to schedule an interview. What made the difference was that i attached to the resume some samples of my work and they loved it.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think will be a normal day if you work here?   Answer Question
    no negotiation.

Nov 3, 2014Manager- Field Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback and glad to hear your experience was good. Have a great time in the stores and with our customers.

Management Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Paper Source.

There was an extensive phone interview. After that a 1:1 meeting was set up with Hiring Manager with a presentation of 3-5 examples of craft related work, typical questions and expected compensation question.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, usually questions about their core values, behaviorial management style, building sales and add ons, UPTs, budgets, ability to teach, and craft.   Answer Question

PT Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Paper Source.

Lots of run-around, but persistence is key to getting hired. I actually had a more difficult time because my application got transferred to another location. Essentially, I applied to work in Brooklyn by showing up, asking if they were hiring, and filling out an application on the spot. A few days later, I got an email scheduling me for an interview that week. The interview went okay. I spoke about my love for the store and my past experience. Within two days, I heard back that I had not been hired but that another location was hiring and that my information could be forwarded there. Eager, I accepted this offer.

I would not have gotten the job at all had I not called persistently. I felt annoying a lot of the time. I would leave my number and no one would get back to me, and the manager was always "out". I just wanted to follow up on the job opening! After a week of constantly trying to secure an interview, I was finally able to reach the assistant manger by phone, and she set me up for an interview the next day. This went well, and in a few days I was contacted to meet the store manager. To both interviews, I brought art samples and spoke passionately about my love for the store and past experience. After the second interview, I got the job and started that same week!

Interview Questions
    • "What would you say to a customer who doesn't think they're creative?"   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Paper Source in April 2014.

Consisted of 2 recruiter interviews, one CEO interview, and one Regional Director Interview. I reached out to a recruiter via LinkedIn and we had an interview over the phone, then she scheduled me with the head of recruiting for another phone interview, then I had a P2P group-panel interview with the CEO and Regional Director.