Paper Source

Updated Oct 26, 2014
Updated Oct 26, 2014

2.6

Assistant Store Manager Interview

it took three interviews to get the job. but it makes sense.there's a lot to learn and they're going to have to invest their time in teaching you.so I want to make sure that you have a passion for the product and you are willing to invest yourself.

Interview Questions
    • Paper Source wants to know about who you are and why you'd want to work for them?   Answer Question
    negotiation face is very upfront. and it worked out well.

Nov 3, 2014Manager- Field Recruitment

Thanks for the feedback. We take great pride in who we place in our stores and take our interviewing and hiring very seriously. Welcome to Paper Source!

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Application was online, simple form that included uploading resume & cover letter. Received call to schedule an in person interview about 2 weeks after submitting application. Interview was easy and pretty laid back.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly questions regarding past employers and experience. Having creative passion or past creative experience was a bonus. Be expected to answer the usual customer service questions (most difficult customer, etc)   Answer Question

Customer Service Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paper Source in August 2014.

I went in person to the store with my resume and cover letter. They called me next day to schedule an interview. What made the difference was that i attached to the resume some samples of my work and they loved it.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think will be a normal day if you work here?   Answer Question
    no negotiation.

Nov 3, 2014Manager- Field Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback and glad to hear your experience was good. Have a great time in the stores and with our customers.

Management Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Paper Source.

There was an extensive phone interview. After that a 1:1 meeting was set up with Hiring Manager with a presentation of 3-5 examples of craft related work, typical questions and expected compensation question.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, usually questions about their core values, behaviorial management style, building sales and add ons, UPTs, budgets, ability to teach, and craft.   Answer Question

PT Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Paper Source.

Lots of run-around, but persistence is key to getting hired. I actually had a more difficult time because my application got transferred to another location. Essentially, I applied to work in Brooklyn by showing up, asking if they were hiring, and filling out an application on the spot. A few days later, I got an email scheduling me for an interview that week. The interview went okay. I spoke about my love for the store and my past experience. Within two days, I heard back that I had not been hired but that another location was hiring and that my information could be forwarded there. Eager, I accepted this offer.

I would not have gotten the job at all had I not called persistently. I felt annoying a lot of the time. I would leave my number and no one would get back to me, and the manager was always "out". I just wanted to follow up on the job opening! After a week of constantly trying to secure an interview, I was finally able to reach the assistant manger by phone, and she set me up for an interview the next day. This went well, and in a few days I was contacted to meet the store manager. To both interviews, I brought art samples and spoke passionately about my love for the store and past experience. After the second interview, I got the job and started that same week!

Interview Questions
    • "What would you say to a customer who doesn't think they're creative?"   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Paper Source.

I noticed an advertisement in the store window for a store manager. I telephoned corporate and was briefly interviewed via telephone. 2 days later, I was interviewed at the store front by a corporate HR representative who flew in from Chicago. 2 days later I was interviewed by the Regional Sales Manager at the store front. He flew in from Chicago. At this interview I was asked to bring a sample of some of the crafts I was currently working on. 3 days later I was flown to Chicago to interview with the CFO and 6 other corporate leaders.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were based on management style, organizational abilities, grasp of retail management principles, entrepreneurial abilities, my plan for
      Growing the brand in a new market place and driving sales. Also ability to craft.

Answer Question
    It was very straight forward. Corporate sent a letter of intent stating salary and start date. I was given 24 hours to review it, sign and fax it back to the Regional Sales Manager. I was flown to Chicago for a week of intensive training. Then returned to assume Store Manager duties at my store.

Nov 3, 2014Manager- Field Recruitment

Excellent! We love to hear about those positive experiences. We work quickly to get great talent.

Congratulations and welcome to Paper Source

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Paper Source.

1. My interview date changed 3 times before it was finally confirmed. I've met colleagues who were called and told to be at a given location for an interview with only one hour's notice. There are only a handful of people in Chicago responsible for scheduling interviews for stores nationwide - they are often stretched too thin to be efficient/competent.
    2. Interviews are not particularly high-pressure. Mostly, they are looking for someone who speaks extensively about the importance of meeting sales goals and customer engagement.
    3. Don't worry if you don't have a creative background; it's retail sales experience that matters most.

Interview Questions
    • Bring a creative sample to your interview to share and discuss!   View Answer
    There is almost no room for salary negotiation. If you are dismayed by the hourly rate you are offered, know that that may be the end of the road for you - I have never witnessed anyone successfully negotiate for more money, regardless of the skills or enthusiasm they bring to the table. PS sticks to their hiring budget, and have lost many talented candidates in the process.

Customer Service Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Paper Source in October 2013.

I applied online for a seasonal position, I received a call the next day. Had an interview the next week. The store manager said I was hired, she checked my references, and I got the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paper Source in August 2013.

I applied for the Assistant Store Manager position. I have years of retail experience, including shift leader and key holder at a small independent stationery boutique. They suggested instead that I apply for a Part Time Sales Associate position. I did and the interview with two managers was casual and pleasant. They could only offer me $8/hr, so I did not take the position.

Interview Questions
    • I'm unable to remember any difficult questions, just general customer service and experience questions.   View Answer

Hourly rate was below my requirement.

Sep 16, 2014Manager- Field Recruitment

Paper Source prides itself on ensuring a right fit for success at both the candidate, company and customer level. Our stores are complex with a strong balance of leadership, crafting and customer ... More

Store Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Paper Source.

Submitted resume and was contacted to schedule a phone interview. The interview lasted just under an hour.

Interview Questions
    • There were many questions pertaining Paper Source that require detailed knowledge of the "Paper Source Experience". Do your homework if you are not familiar.   Answer Question