Pareto Law Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2015

2.7

Interview

received a call from this company today. The caller claimed I had applied for a business-to-business sales role, which immediately struck me as strange, as I'm not the kind of person who goes for sales jobs. I assumed there had been some mistake on my part, especially when the caller said I applied for the job on reed.co.uk, which is a job site I regularly use, as it is for many others. He asked what degree I had and what result I received and what attracted me to a sales role. I said there must have been a mix-up on my part - I thought I had applied for a sales role accidentally. But after finishing the call, I logged into my reed.co.uk account and found I had applied for no such job, despite him claiming I had applied 'recently' when I questioned this. Very strange.

Regional Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Pareto Law (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied one evening and received a call the next morning then a few hours later an interview. Then made it through to the assessment day which went well and I was offered a position.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Pareto Law (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter from Pareto Law, invited for a phone interview that I passed, and then invited to the assessment day in London. This was a new experience to me, but quite an interesting one: about 25 graduates, all pretty well qualified people, busy mingling, having presentations and being assessed. At the end of the morning we were split into three groups and told the outcome: the yes, the noes and the maybes. The yes and maybes complete a personality test and then will be contacted over opportunities for interviews with some of Pareto Law's partners.
    Overall, it was a good experience, but there was not enough time for individual assessment, so it mostly boiled down to how big of an impression you'd make during the group activities.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview: "Describe yourself in three words", "what is success for you"
      Assessment centre: Introduction: "What is your greatest non-academic achievement"; Group activity: NASA exercise (stranded on the moon); presentation: "Why I want a career in sales and why should Pareto select me"

Graduate Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pareto Law (Reading, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Following a phone call from Pareto i had a very prompt telephone interview, which i completed and was invited to an assessment centre day down in reading. I was there for just over 9 hours, with my presentation, one on one interview, group activities and introduction taking up around 45 minutes of that. The rest of the time was sat sitting around doing absolutely nothing while the pareto staff tried to organised the 70 or so other graduates who where there - the day was really badly organised overall.

To be honest, i wouldn't recommend going if offered. They invite in hordes of graduates and after the usual cattle style grading process, they only take a handful. You can go there, give a fantastic pitch like i did, and leave feeling complete miffed as to what it is they're looking for.

Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pareto Law (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online
    Called up by a representative and had a telephone interview
    Was successful and invited to assessment centre
    At the assessment centre there was the potential to go through to the final stage for a role at Adobe or you could be successful on the assessment centre - where Pareto would help to find another role for you
    I was not put forward for Adobe but they thought I would suit other roles.

Interview Questions

• Why Adobe?
      Why do you want to work in Sales?
      Would you be willing to relocate?

Graduate Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Pareto Law (Manchester, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

The process to become a Pareto graduate involves an assessment day lasting from 1 -6pm. The assessment day involves a short introduction, two group exercises, a 3 minute presentation and a 1-1 chat with one of the Pareto team. On the whole, it is a very efficiently run process which serves it's purpose by giving a fair chance to all to put themselves across throughout the day

Interview Questions

• Who has ever inspired you?
      What is your greatest non-academic achievement?

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Pareto Law (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

Haven't applied for a vacancy, don't know how did they find me. I was looking for a finance, investment related role and was NOT interested in sales. On the phone they told me 'we work with a number of companies and there's a chance you'll be placed with a finance organisation'.

Had a fifteen-minute phone interview with Pareto and have been invited for an assessment centre straight away. Attended the assessment centre (worst experience of my life). The room stuffed with 40+ graduates who are left starving for 6 hours (have been given 10 packs of crisps). Had a 1 to 1 interview during the assessment with a lady who asked me if I'm willing to relocate, I said no and she said 'but if you would where would you go;; literally forcing me to go to Wales or Scotland, which I found quite annoying. Later on we have been split into 2 groups, there were around 30 people with me and the gentlemen said 'sorry guys but you haven't been chosen, thank you for coming and we will give you a call back in the next 24hrs to provide you with the feedback'. I thought I wasted my time but at least I'll get some feedback. Nobody called for 3 days. I've decided to send an email and ask if somebody was in fact going to call me. Received a call in an hour with the lady asking 'How do you think you did?!' I said I was looking for a finance related role so that was my drawback I guess. She said yes. That was it. No other feedback provided. Useless company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Pareto Law (London, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

I received a call (randomly) from a Pareto Law Graduate recruitment consultant who found my details online (I think it was reed.co.uk). I didn't actually apply to Pareto directly but I was more than willing to hear what they had to say. The initial phone conversation was just a "getting to know you" type thing, with the recruiter trying to paint a picture/profile of me, asking about uni, work experience, hobbies, what I wanted to do as a career etc and then went on to tell me about Pareto and what they do and what they offer to the graduates they take on. It was just a general conversation and not really something you prepare for. After this, the recruiter asked if I was interested in what they had to offer and if I wanted to have a phone interview, so I said that was fine, and we started the phone interview there and then.

The interview questions were quite basic, and it ended with a psychometric test. One question I remember was about how I met a tough deadline for work or something. Another question at the end was whether I would rather be like or respected in the work place (I said respected). The phone interview lasted about 10 minutes, and although I didn't think I'd answered the questions very well, I was told I had passed and was invited to their assessment day. I was told to prepare a 3 minute presentation about why I wanted a career in sales and why Pareto should select me.

I received the call on a Monday evening and the assessment day was on the Wednesday (2 days time!). I was told that there would be a load of other graduates, and there would also be clients there who would be assessing us. The clients are the companies that Pareto recruits for.

The assessment day started at 1pm. In the room there were about 40 graduates in total, around 12 clients and 5 recruitment consultants. One of the consultants gave us a long talk and asked questions which was a test to see who had done their research and who wasn't scared to put their hand up and answer (REALLY IMPORTANT TO GET INVOLVED FROM THE START!). Questions included "what is the Pareto effect?" and "What is Pareto's first name?".

Then we were told we had to stand up one by one (alphabetical order) and say our full name, star sign and our greatest non-academic achievement. The point of this exercise was to see who LISTENED to the instructions! So many people got up and gave a back history of their lives - NOT RELEVANT- it was really a test to see who listened and followed the instructions! I also personally think that what Pareto/clients were looking for was proof that you have problem-solving skills and how you had overcome a problem successfully. They didn't want to hear that you had done a bungee jump etc.

After this we were split into 4 groups and given some group challenges to do. Again, it wasn't about necessarily winning the challenges, but more about who stood out in those groups and spoke up, and didn't shy away and wait for others to do the work.

Then we had to give our 3 minute presentations. They do actually time you on this, which is slightly off-putting and I ran out of time.The presentation is done in front of 2-4 of the clients/recruiters. The people I presented to were really nice and generally the experience was not that bad - coming from someone who is terrified of public speaking!

We were also given a 1:1 interview but this was more like a general chat about where you wanted to be located and again why you want to work in sales.

I was quite fortunate and got through, but a lot of people didn't. It's generally quite a long day, and I can imagine that not getting through would make you quite demotivated. I've had my fair dosage of rejection in the past so I know.

The main thing about this whole process is that you WANT to work in B2B sales. And you need to stand out on the day by answering questions and asking questions as well. Be confident, dress smartly and try to leave an impression.

Once you get through Pareto will call you to put you forward for roles available with their clients.

Hope this helps a bit at least.

Interview Questions

• How would you cope with trying to generate leads and cold-calling B2B?   Answer Question
    • Why don't you want to continue your current job?   Answer Question

Assessment Day Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Pareto Law (London, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

Well basically it was a LOT of dead time at the office. It started with a presentation of yourself by stating your name, star sign and your greatest non-academic achievement. Then it continued over to the group tasks and this is where you will need to show yourself, but not to much. Then it is a 1 on 1 interview process and a presentation why sales and why they should choose you. Very bad management even though the staff was friendly.

Junior Sales Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pareto Law (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

It was the worst assessment I have ever attended. To begin with, there were too many candidates (over 20) being assessed at once and so we did not have enough time to make ourselves known. The group exercise lasted only 12 minutes and there were over 10 people in each group, meaning that only the most arrogant had a chance to speak. The one to one interview was useless as it lasted only a few minutes and we were asked trivial questions.