Pareto Law

Updated Feb 3, 2015
Updated Feb 3, 2015

2.7

Junior Sales Account Manager Interview

received a call from this company today. The caller claimed I had applied for a business-to-business sales role, which immediately struck me as strange, as I'm not the kind of person who goes for sales jobs. I assumed there had been some mistake on my part, especially when the caller said I applied for the job on reed.co.uk, which is a job site I regularly use, as it is for many others. He asked what degree I had and what result I received and what attracted me to a sales role. I said there must have been a mix-up on my part - I thought I had applied for a sales role accidentally. But after finishing the call, I logged into my reed.co.uk account and found I had applied for no such job, despite him claiming I had applied 'recently' when I questioned this. Very strange.

Graduate Sales Executive Interview

It was a hell of a long day. You get there and they waste time on the most unnecessary things. The whole day could have been complete in about 3 hours, maximum. Instead, they manage to drag it out for a whole day and try and entertain you by giving you a lecture on how to do interviews :/ And the lecture is by recruiters who teach you the most standard and common sense things... if you were to use the advice that they tell you in an interview for any respectable job, believe me you would not get that job!!
    They pretend that they only take 20% of graduates through... but by the looks of it, they probably meant they take everyone but 20% of graduates through.
    You do a standard group task, eat lunch, do a little interview. But remember, if you are looking to be successful, you really aren't going to be anything special going via a recruitment agency such as these guys. Let's be honest.
    They are recruiting for positions that hold the same weight that they are in themselves, they are never going to recruit anyone better than themselves personally.
    They are nice guys and they must be turning over a healthy profit. But in all seriousness. Don't waste your time with them. Use proper initiative and get a proper job via a different method.

Graduate Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Pareto Law.

Contacted me out of the blue saying that they've received my application through Reed.co.uk (which I thought was weird because I knew I didn't send them an application but went along with it anyway). The recruiter told me how great and and well suited I would be to this role etc, asking why I wanted the particular role. I told her I was interested in accounting & finance roles, and the lady told me I'd be suited because it was in finance industry - but all the roles they advertise are for sales. Then she passed me over to the account manager of the company that had the vacancy.

Had a chat about the company and the role in more detail and how I would fit into the role. I asked him what emphasis of skills/qualifications they put on applicants, and he said its all about personality, passion etc so a 'blank canvas'. I asked him what the difference was between all the Graduate Account Manager roles that were posted on the website because I was scrolling through the website as we were talking. He clearly tried to wing it, but failed because it was such a vague answer.

Afterwards, he put me back through to the recruiter for a telephone interview on the spot, and I'd be put towards an assessment centre if I was successful. Telephone interview was pretty standard: Where do you see yourself in 5 years time? Describe yourself in 3 words. What motivates you? Name 3 of your strengths. Tell me about a time you had to meet a deadline. What position do you usually take when you're in a team? (Basically they're looking for someone who always takes leadership.) On the scale of 1-10 where 10 is strongest, how competitive are you? On the scale of 1-10 how ambitious are you? On scale of 1-10 how resilient are you?

It took around a few minutes wait, the recruiter asked me how I thought it went, and anything I could have done differently. Following that she said I passed, gave me feedback, and said the assessment centre was in a 2 days and would have to research everything on the company/role/industry as there would be a Q&A session with recruiters. The recruiter would act as your mentor through the process leading up the assessment centre, so I was required to send my CV, create profile on Pareto, and read up on the details she'd send me via email then phone her back the next day to 'help me prepare'.

The whole phone call took over an hour for me with a few minutes waiting time in-between passing calls over to the account manager and back. I was sceptical about the whole thing and didn't appreciate being lied to about me sending them an application. I decided to look up reviews of their assessment centres and found some on here and other websites which confirmed my reservations about the thing. The recruiters will come across friendly and will say anything to rope you in to fill up vacancies in their assessment centres. For me, it seemed pretty evident with no clear quality control over who they put through en masse: no cover letter required, no CV, no online tests, and simple interview questions.

After reading through the reviews, I decided to cancel my place for the assessment centre the next day as I wasn't even interested in sales or the company. I had an telephone appointment at a specific time with my 'mentor', but it took 10 minutes to get a hold of her since she was busy talking to other applicants about assessment centres. Not impressed. I first asked her about what I sent her in my application via Reed.co.uk which she stuttered and said that she received my basic information and details. I brushed that aside and stated that I wanted to withdraw my application, then comes the long-winded process of 'what changed my mind within the space of a few hours' blah blah which took 5 minutes and told me she'd pass me to the account manager guy to explain. I refused and told her to just cancel my application.

Go for it if you're genuinely looking for a sales position and/or for the assessment centre experience. I just wasn't interested in the role, company, or recruitment agency. Fun telephone interview practice though.

Graduate Sales Engineer Interview

It was competency based. So there was about 40 of us present on that day and they split us into group and we had to go through group exercises and these show your attributes as a team worker. This process is kind of like the apprentice the people floating about and not contributing are the first ones to go. Then after the 3 competency rounds you have to do a 3 minute presentation about why you want to work in your field. I saw many people there with cards and other pieces of paper. I went there with nothing and spoke full on and really showed them what I am made of. I was 1 of the 5 people that made it through the process.

Interview Questions
    • You have a 3 minute presentation so best advice I can give is no stuttering and no "urm" or "err"   Answer Question

Pareto Law - Sungard (Sungard Sales Academy) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pareto Law in October 2014.

Assessment Centre - lasted almost 9 hours.
    Group activity - focusing on debate/being outspoken. get yourself heard!
    Presentation - 3 minutes presentation to be prepared beforehand. Short questions afterwards, a few didnt even get questions.

about 40% of the time was waiting period. Regardless, good experience for my first assessment centre.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected question, it's about how well you can stand out from the rest.   View Answer

Assessment Day Interview

Relatively shorter day compared to other assessment days I have heard about, I was finished by 1pm. Result given on the day. Had to stand and give our name, greatest achievement and star sign, then divided into groups for two activities. The second half was presentation and 1-1 interview. The 1-1 is just a Q & A rather than a serious interview.

Account Manager Interview

Passed the telephone interview which was really straightforward just general questions like where do you see yourself in 5 years, how would your friends describe you, what are your 3 main strengths etc. after this is the one day assessment centre, where you start off by introducing yourself to the group and talk about your best achievement to date. you are then divided in two groups and given two group exercises within the specified time limit. Towards the end of the day you have a 3 min presentation and a informal one to one interview. Remember you are assessed all throughout the day

Interview Questions
    • If you're none of the questions should be difficult, just participate in all the group assessments and give a flawless presentation.   View Answer

Graduate Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Pareto Law in August 2014.

Telephone Interview.
    They asked questions such as what do you feel about sales? What are your strengths and weaknesses? What are you motivated by? On a scale of 1-10, how competitive would you say you are? etc.

Following a phone call interview, I was invited to the assessment center 2 days later in London. I was emailed lots of documents which outlined the activities for the day, as well as tips and hints for the activities.

Assessment Center.
    I attended a 9AM to a what was a supposed to be 12PM assessment center, but it actually went over the estimated time by over an hour. There is a very large group of candidates, perhaps 30. There are 3-4 other employers present during the day, thus the job is not limited to a Recruitment Consultant role, but other sales roles for other companies.

Introduction.
    After everyone has been signed in and completes a personality test, it starts with everyone giving an introduction. You are asked to say your name, languages you can speak, and your greatest non-academic achievement. You will be a few questions related to what you have mentioned after your introduction.

Team Activities.
    You will be broken into 4 groups to complete 2 tasks.
    The first task is similar to 'Prisonner's Dilemma', you and another team are to complete the grid and score maximum points. They do not tell you must else other than that, as you are to figure out that this task is not exactly a competition between the other team, but simply score maximum points which will require both teams to cooperate.

The second task is the NASA survival list, where you have to prioritise items on the list, having crashed on the moon.

- Refreshment Break -
    Crisps, fruits and jugs of squash are provided.

Individual Presentation.
    Presentations and applications occur at the same time. You will be called one by one for the presentation, which you will be asked to prepare beforehand, and you will have to present why you want to work in sales and why you think you are the perfect candidate. You are only given 3 minutes, so make sure you fit everything into them 3 minutes.

They will also be completing application forms, which consists of the basic name, degree, school, location preferred, industry preferred, expected salary, and such. You may also be asked to give contacts of people you know who they may contact for recruitment.

- Decision time -
    While they are deciding, you are to listen to their presentation on how to present yourself, and time to ask questions. After that was finished, we were left in the room with a member of the team who acted very unprofessional, although it may seem friendly, but in my opinion they were not communicating with us in a very mature manner. We had to wait a long time, before being called into 3 groups to different rooms, which is when they revealed whether we were successful or not. I'm guessing one is for those who are successful with Pareto Law, one successful for other roles/companies, and those who are not successful.

It was my first experience of going to an assessment center, so I guess a good opportunity to experience what they are like. However, I did not have a good impression from the company and of the assessment center as a whole. It did not seem very skills based to me, but all talk. It seemed like those who had a lot to say, loud, and had a lot to brag about during the day were successful.

Interview Questions
    • Although I was given the activities before the assessment center, I was really taken back with the grid activity. It happened and was explained too fast for me to process.   Answer Question

Graduate Sale Scheme (Egress) Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Pareto Law in July 2014.

The interview process starts with the company coming into contact with your CV through various means, usually through CV banks. One of their recruitment agents calls you up and gets you to talk about yourself, your motivations and tells you about the job they have on offer.

Telephone Interview:

If you are interested in the role you then you have a telephone interview, this is a pretty standard interview asking you about your motivations, goals in the next 5 years, why you choose your degree subject and why you would be interested in a career in sales. All you need to do is make it sound that you want the position as well as using examples to back up your statements.

Assessment Day:

If you pass this, which you should do easily if you're talkative, you will be invited to a assessment day. This take place in Pareto's office in london, mine was supposed to last from 1PM- 6PM. At the beginning of the day you are asked to stand up and state your name, a internationally famous person (Living or dead) who you admire or look up to and you greatest non academic achievement. This process takes far too long as with 40~ people.standing up and speaking with follow up questions asked is time consuming, this took 1:30 hours in mine. This part of the process should be combined with the group stages.

After this you are broken into 4 groups and given 2 tasks to do, The first of these was all your famous figures are stuck on a raft together which is sinking and you have to throw half of them overboard. A pretty standard assessment day activity which as long as you're taking part your should be fine, try and take on a leadership role if you can as it makes you look better.

The second activity is a prioritisation exercise, you are stranded after a plane crash in the desert and you have to decide from a list of items a priority order list. The way to pass this exercise is to focus on the rescue aspect of the task rather than the survival aspect, if you get this task the highest priority item is the mirror as you can signal for help.

After this you get a "refreshment break" which consisted of a plate or two of crisps with some jugs of squash, you definitely want to have a meal before you go to this day.

One to One and presentation:

After all this they start calling people to do one to ones and your presentations, By this point (4:30PM for me) it was quite obvious who was going to get the role, those that would be considered for other roles and those that hadn't got anything. The one to one consisted of a brief chat with someone from pareto in which they took down all your details as well as asking you about holidays, commuting distance and how likely you where to take up the job if offered. This is a waste of time as most of these details would be on your CV which they have or would have been mentioned in the telephone stages.

The presentation consists of what you would expect, there are two people in the room and you aren't allowed to use powerpoint or visual aids. The two people that listened to mine seemed interested and asked no questions after i had finished, you also had no opportunity to ask them questions. If you get an interviewer who is asking you loads of questions it is likely that they are considering you for the role or have another role in mind if you dont then you might as well go home now.

Whilst all this is going on you are supposed to be in your groups working on a 2 minute presentation about a 2050 olympic bid, this task is a pointless filler exercise which has no impact on the final decision and simply there to give your groups something to do while the long process of interviewing and deciding goes on. This entire section took over 3 hours with the eventual finish time been repeatedly pushed back so we finished at 7:45PM. Most people eventually clicked on that this task was a time filler and didn't count and became slightly cynical about the whole process.

After the repeated delays everyone was divided into three groups and lead off in different directions for their respective outcomes to be shared.

Overall the assessment day is pretty generic and a worthwhile experience if you've never been to one before to gain an idea of how they work. If you're not that into sales or not totally sold into going into sales then this day may not be the best use of your time.

Interview Questions
    • The presentation title was "why I want a career in IT sales and why Egress should select me"   Answer Question

Graduate Sales Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Pareto Law in March 2014.

1) Meet and greet in front of other graduates/recruiters
    2) Two group exercises
    3) One-on-one interviews
    4) Time killing task whilst they make their decision

Pareto Law is a recruitment agency that undertakes the recruitment process for external employers. The application process consisted of an online application. This was then followed up by a phone call to arrange a telephone interview. The telephone interview itself wasn't too difficult to be honest. They just started off by asking a few questions about yourself and your past work experience - the usual questions such as demonstrate a time when you worked as part of a team to achieve something, where would you rate yourself on a scale of 1 - 10 with regards to being a leader etc... I was then invited to attend an assessment day at their Wilmslow assessment centre (Manchester).

This was where it got interesting as I had never attended one of these before. It basically consisted of an meet and greet where you stand up in a room with all the recruiters and the other graduates, (in the region of about 50-60), and talk about your biggest achievement in life so far for a minute or so, followed by a few questions by a Pareto employee.

Then we were broken up into about 4/5 groups to do the group exercises which consisted of a colours/numbers task. Listen to the instructions carefully - the task is not to 'win' as you may interpret it, (in fact, there is no way to win because all other groups have differing colours/numbers tables). The objective is to get the highest possible numbers for your particular group table. Sorry I can't give you more information on this, it wasn't my strongest point throughout the day!

Then we have another task where we have to rate a list of items in order of importance to us if we were stranded on the moon. Apparently this is a task that they gave to NASA astronauts.

We then had the one-on-one interviews that were more of a presentation that we had to prepare before coming to the actual assessment centre detailing first of all, why we want a career in sales, and secondly, why Pareto should choose you. It is timed (3 minutes i think?) so pace yourself, stick to the time and don't come under or over the time limit.

Then there was a time killing task to basically keep us busy whilst the recruiters made their mind up.

Interview Questions
    • Standing up in a room of about 60 scrutinising graduates and potential employers and saying my star sign and what my proudest non-academic life achievement is.   Answer Question

I was put into the 'middle group' meaning that I was neither going to be offered a broad range of job choices to be put forward for, nor was I unsuccessful. They said that my skills matched very particular sales roles but not all of them.

I decided not to actually pursue applying for further jobs as I felt that after being in an environment with other sales graduates and potential future colleagues, sales was not really for me.