Pariveda Solutions

Relevance Date Difficulty

Principal Interview

Principal
Dallas, TX

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Pariveda Solutions in July 2011.

Interview Details – Very thorough interview process; consisted of initial phone screening with recruiter followed by phone interview with technical manager. Finally, a full day case interview with 3 different cases. If you don't pass one of the cases, you will be informed immediately; very challenging and you feel as though you've earned an offer.

Interview Question – What would you say our area of expertise is?   Answer Question

Office Manager Interview

Office Manager
Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Pariveda Solutions in October 2011.

Interview Details – Resume sent in from an online posting. I was contacted via email for a phone screen. I responded the same day with my availability. I had to contact the recruiter twice via email to receive a scheduled phone screen. The phone screen consisted of a call from the local recruiter. Went over the job description, how my background and experience fit the opening, culture of the company, etc. After a 75 minute conversation, I was asked to email my availability for the next phone screen with the Regional Office Manager. Sent my availability via email the same day. No response. Sent again 2 days later without a response. Attempted a final email and received a return email - either the recruiter left the company or my email address was blocked by the recruiter. It would have been more professionally courteous to return an email stating that they were not moving forward...Strange ending to a long process.

Interview Question – Have you participated in any volunteer work?   Answer Question

Consultant (C1) Interview

Consultant (C1)
Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Pariveda Solutions in November 2010.

Interview Details – I was recruited at a career fair that I was attending, not as a student but as someone hoping to get an entry level job since I had already graduated college in May 2010 at a different university. After talking with the very enthusiastic recruiter, I definitely took an interest in the company, and was very glad to get a call from them later that same day. I was asked if I would be available for taking a B-Apt (Berger Aptitude for Programming Test) test the very next day. I agreed.

The following day I met another friendly employee who was to give me and monitor my B-Apt test at the temporary location of the Pariveda Seattle office. It took a couple of hours to do, but I found it enjoyable. I have a background in CS so my programming experience could have helped me out, but it was really all about understanding directions and forming your result as logically as you could.

Directly after the test I was told I would have a 1/2-1 hour phone interview with a manager at Pariveda on the following Monday (I took the test on a Friday). I was also sent a Predictive Index Survey which told them a little more about your personality. All I had to do was be honest and check check-boxes. As for the interview, it was a late-hour interview since the manager was pretty busy, but I was flexible in my schedule. He asked me the basic questions ("What technologies have you done?" "What did you do for this internship on your resume?") and a couple of coding questions. We ended on a couple of questions I had about the company and the idea that if I got hired, I would (jokingly) get new favorite sports teams.

I confirmed to do an on-site 2.5 hour case interview (with two interviewers) on Wednesday which was nothing like I had ever done before. This time they were testing my consulting skills. I had to use a diagram system that I had never used before and had looked it up online the previous day to understand the general gist of it. I was definitely very nervous about my answers, but directly after the interview they told me I got an offer and invited me to a dinner with a couple of other employees (fins).

The dinner was very informative and it was nice to talk to all the other employees to hear their stories. Everyone was so friendly and they easily answered any questions I had about the company.

The offer that I got was the exact same offer I had received at another company that I had to decline due to location reasons. Pariveda had great benefits and they really seemed to care about their employees. I really liked their whole "we're not competitive so that we can support each other instead" motto. So I decided to accept their offer and send back my rewritten response on Thursday night before starting work on a client the following Monday.

I had an accelerated hiring. Most interviewing processes last way more than a week.

Interview Question – Can you join two numerically ordered arrays?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Associate (A2) Interview

Associate (A2)
Denver, CO

The process took a day - interviewed at Pariveda Solutions in May 2011.

Interview Details – I had a phone screen with Pariveda for 20 minutes which went well and so then moved into a Skype interview immediately after.

The Skype interview was an hour or so of discussion back and forth - getting to know you and telling you about the company.

The questions asked were mostly personality questions ("describe a bad day at work", etc). There was surprisingly little asked about my technical abilities. They seem to want sales executives more than talented software engineers. When I brought this up I was told that they care more about my personality and ambition than they do about my software engineering skills. As my first experience with a consulting firm this was shocking as it seems that the focus is not on the best quality of work for the customer but for maintaining and developing business opportunities.

The work environment is basically working at customer sites for the duration of the contract - you only go to the main office for meetings and such.

The office culture is very egalitarian. Your salary is fixed and determined by your title. Everyone with the same title makes the same amount. The salary for an Associate A2 in Denver was 94k and a Manager 1 was 112k. The idea is everyone knows what everyone else makes and you don't compete with your peers. Bonuses are also fixed as a percentage of your salary and determined by title as well (I believe it was close to 9% for Associate A2). Raises are based on inflation and billable rates and are pre-determined. Their career development is interesting as you have to meet certain goals (most of them subjective), in order to move up to the next level (which you are eligible only after 12 months).

This type of environment is not appealing to me. There is no incentive to work harder than the others at your level - this policy only benefits low performers who are getting paid at the same rate as high performers. This is surprising for a sales based company - if I bring in more revenue for the company, I should be paid more than someone who brings in half as much.

They require mandatory "community service" and other networking events outside of your 40 billable hours. All this does is reduce your effective salary based on a 40 hour work week.

Interview Question – Describe a bad day in the office and how you handled it?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – After our discussion, they wanted me to come in and visit with some of their managers. However, they told me up front that they couldn't match my current salary due to their equal pay policies. The best I could hope for was to get promoted after 12 months and then get a comparable salary - no promises, of course. Also, I live in another part of Colorado where the cost of living is much cheaper than Denver.

So, it came down to taking a 20% pay cut, moving to a more expensive city, working longer hours (you bill 40 but work more if distractions arise), and being forced to perform community service on my off days. I was almost offended that they would actually think I'd even consider a deal like that. They tried to argue that they had great benefits so that justified taking a lower salary - they do have nice benefits, but my current employer offers equivalent or better benefits in every category (including ESOP).

They want ambitious, talented people, but they're not willing to pay up for them based on current market rates. They claim to want business executive types - well, any business executive that decides to do more work at a lower rate won't be a very successful business executive - you don't need an MBA to figure that out.

However, if they changed their pay system to an objective performance based system and paid bonuses/commissions directly related to performance, then this would be a place I'd consider working.

Office Manager Interview

Office Manager
Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Pariveda Solutions in July 2010.

Interview Details – The interview experience for my position was unique. I had 11 interviews over 4 months. which included a final day of flying to Dallas for an entire day of interviews. During the process, twice there were instances where I didn't hear anything for 2 weeks. When I sent emails of inquiry to the recruiter, I was always answered right away regarding next steps. The quality of the company and competiveness of the salary made it worthwhile for me to stay the course. I had an exisiting job during the interview process so I was not in a rush to be employed right away. Overall, my interview experience was a positive one. And after I flew to Dallas I knew I valued the caliber of employees found within the company and knew I wanted to be involved in this organization.

Interview Question – Analytical Case Study   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Pariveda has a set salary based on your level. And typically Pariveda does not offer a hiring bonus. Pariveda's approach is to keep salaries even across each levels so everyone gets paid the same salary for the same level of work. There is a clear career path that allows for annual promotions based on performance. Salary increases are generous. Performance evaluation is clear and fair. Once you meet your career development path you are volunteered for promotion by your manager or VP. After 2 years at Pariveda you are elidgible for stock options.

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Dallas, TX

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Pariveda Solutions in August 2008.

Interview Details – First, the good. The people were all well mannered, travel accommodations were arranged without any problems, and they even offered Starbucks.

The downside.

First, the interview is in Dallas. After numerous phone conversations and two separate meetings with employees in my area (roughly 5 hours of my time already) I walk out of the Dallas airport into the god awful August humidity and my first thought was "What the hell I am doing here?. And another six hours tomorrow?" After a restful sleep and a morning run which helped my attitude, I was off to my interview the next morning.

Back to the interview.

I really hated life about 30 minutes into the interview, which is not a good sign. It appeared that more than one Paraveda employee has experience with a large consulting firm, in particular Anderson Consulting (or Accenture as they are now known). All of those who came from there had glowing comments about Accenture, but seemed disillusioned by their experience with the culture of a large, corporate firm. Yet, they modeled their company structure and interview process almost exactly after Accenture. So you started this company to be different, how? If I wanted to interview with Accenture, I would have applied to them (which of course would not happen because I had no desire to ever work for Accenture). I mean, seriously. 5-6 hours of interviews after the time I already put in? It’s for a computer job, not the head of surgery for a hospital emergency room. And it’s for something that I’ve already done successfully for years. Between my resume and the first 5 or six hours on the phone, you should have a pretty good idea of whether or not he candidate is a good fit. What should be of interest is (a) do I click with their people (b) do I know how to hold my fork during a business luncheon with a client (c) my experience across a wide range of industries from both a technical and business perspective

The same thing happened to a friend of mine, interviewing for an engineering job with a major computer firm. It so irritated her, she walked out of the interview. NOTE: In her case they did call her to apologize and offered her the position but she politely refused. I should have done the same, but my return flight home wasn’t’ for several hours and there is absolutely nothing that I wanted to do in Dallas.

Second. Almost everyone seemed to have a story to tell about a former boss or company that behaved badly or put them in a bad situation. Of course, the obligatory question (or so it seemed) from everyone that day was “So have you had a similar experience and how did you handle it?” Probably a legitimate question except I haven’t had any bad stories. My past employers have all been very decent and very honest. The problem was that I felt that some of the people interviewing me were genuinely disappointed that I didn’t have my own sad story.

Third. The salary. Their salaries are nice, but they didn’t match what I was earning. There really is no incentive for me to take a cut yet that is what I would have had to do if an offer was forthcoming. And while I do applaud their culture of giving back to the community (it’s sort

Interview Question – Describe a bad experience you've had in a past position and how you dealt with it   View Answer

IT Consultant Interview

IT Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Pariveda Solutions in September 2009.

Interview Details – There was an initial interview 1:1. I personally talked with Bruce Ballenger who is the CEO. The talk was interesting and it was a general behavioral interview. They called me in the next day for a round two and the whole process took 5 hours. There were heavy technical interviews and programming tests (to see how fast you can learn and understand a new language) and other difficult trials. It was very difficult for my MIS background (maybe less challenging for a CS background...though they would presumably have a harder time with the more business based questions). I did not get the offer.

Interview Question – They asked technical questions beyond my capacity. I don't blame them, I just did not anticipate that.   View Answer

Associate (A1) Interview

Associate (A1)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Pariveda Solutions in October 2012.

Interview Details – They have an interesting 4 step process as detailed on their page. The final interview was conducted in Dallas, TX at their HQ. It was a full day and very tiring so be well rested and clear headed. In the morning you are presented with a business case and must present a solution to the problem. Lunch with one of the employees follows. Last part was a another round of technical questions.

Interview Question – TSA Security Line at an Airport. There is a max wait time allocated per traveller. The screening process involves certain optional and required steps that take # minutes to complete. How many lines need to be opened to meet the requirements.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at Pariveda Solutions

Interview Details – All behavioral questions.

Interview Question – Give me a time when...   Answer Question

Consultant (C1) Interview

Consultant (C1)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Pariveda Solutions.

Interview Details – I participated in two rounds of on-campus interviews. They were pretty traditional and went well. The offer came a few days later. They move very quickly.

Interview Question – Since they were on-campus interviews, the questions were not detailed, but there was a technical business case.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pariveda does not negotiate salary because everyone gets the same salary at each level. The salaries are very competitive, however.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Pariveda Solutions