Partners Group

11 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Associate - Direct Investing Interview

Senior Associate - Direct Investing

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Partners Group.

Interview Details – Job posting was listed on their website. I applied online, but was also able to use my network to get in touch with a managing director, who was quick to respond. I met with him and two of his principals the following week. The interviews lasted approximately 30 minutes each. They were interested in my background and previous firm, which was similar to them. Overall, they MD and one principal were very nice. The other principal seemed pre-occupied. Generally seems like a good place to work with a great franchise. They have a great fundraising team and are able to offer different products to their limited partners. Long-term focused investors.

Interview Question – Ability to source new deals   Answer Question

Counsel Interview

Counsel

Interviewed at Partners Group

Interview Details – Two stage interview process. There will be an initial telephone interview, followed by a half day interview at the office. The half day office interview includes interviews with various individuals and a case study. There is a short break in the middle and you will have time to prepare for the case study.

However what I found unacceptable happened outside the interview process. Without my consent or knowledge, this firm called my current employer to check my references.

This is highly unprofessional as most candidates do not want their current employer to know that they are applying elsewhere. Needless to say, their action caused problems for me on my end.

This firm should be avoided at all costs.

Interview Question – The case study can be difficult.   Answer Question

Managing Director Interview

Managing Director
Zug (Switzerland)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Partners Group.

Interview Details – Fast, effective and efficient process. Two interview rounds with a total of eight one to one interviews a 45-60 minutes. The interviews were typically in the form of open questions to evaluate personal and functional skills and existing network.
Formal setting but very personal atmosphere.
Fast and clear feedback after both rounds.
Flawless execution of offer and contracts.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation room, first offer was the last.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Associate Interview

Associate

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Partners Group.

Interview Details – Phone interview followed by 6 hour interviews with people from various levels, investment case, modeling test, presentation

Negotiation Details – Standard package for associate program

Associate Program Interview

Associate Program

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Partners Group.

Interview Details – straight forward process. online application and telephone interview followed by in-house interview day. The in-house day typically includes 4-6 half hour interviews plus a presentation. Interviews are with employees from all levels and also different teams, mainly personality based with some relatively easy technical questions.

Interview Question – There were quite a lot of HR-type of questions during the whole interview process, even from investment professionals.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiations for associate program, standard terms

Investments/Sales Interview

Investments/Sales

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Partners Group in March 2013.

Interview Details – Interview process comprised two rounds, each lasting 4-6 hours.

The first session was primarily knowledge testing (industry, firm, concepts) involving face-to-face and video conference discussions with local HR and various global department heads. I was also assigned an hour to prep for, respond to and submit a role-specific case study.

I received callback for a second interview circa three weeks after the first.

The second round was focussed on stress-testing and personality fit. This time I was interviewed by the full global spectrum - from associates in New York to senior management across the pond. The interviews were conducted via an amalgamation of face-to-face, video-conferencing and phone. While the questions posed were less demanding, the two case studies I was assigned to this round required more critical thinking (a rather stressful undertaking after hours of back-to-back interviews). I also had to present and validate my case study responses to department seniors. The second round case studies were clearly structured for stress-testing and time management.

Though lengthy and taxing I found the entire interview process surprisingly comfortable. The people I interviewed with (regardless of seniority) were aggressive enough to be blunt, yet receptive to and encouraging of contrary opinions at the same time. Advice and improvement notes were also generously dispensed (after first round and during interviews).

This company clearly honours a flat, competitive and no nonsense culture.

A great place for keen brains in for the long haul.

Interview Question – - Rapid fire questions on minute details (trending news, firm knowledge etc.)
- Case studies (challenging if you are not PE jargon privy)
- How would your hobbies value-add to your applied role
  Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Partners Group.

Interview Details – 6 hour interview process with various management levels

Interview Question – Questions manageable   Answer Question

Legal Counsel Interview

Legal Counsel

Interviewed at Partners Group

Interview Details – Phone interviews with NY and Switzerland partners. Half-day in-person interview in NYC with case study.

Interview Question – Case study was difficult.   Answer Question

Associate/Manager Private Real Estate Interview

Associate/Manager Private Real Estate

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Partners Group.

Interview Details – Applied through their online application form, had telephone interviews with a local office staff and a HR person at their HQ

Interview Question – What is the latest major transaction happened and which companies?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst

I applied through other source and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Partners Group in December 2011.

Interview Details – The interview includes ongoing tests, presentations, 1:1 interviews, 2:1 interviews, etc. The problem is that all of the burden is placed on the interviewee. Whereas other companies have you advance in stages, this company waits to discuss your employment as a team until after you have gone through a long interviewing process. Therefore, after you appeal to the senior associates, a junior member may decide you are not a "personality match." Overall, not as professional as some of the other investment firms in town - who always let you know exactly where you stand (because only senior executives are involved in the hiring decision).

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Worked for Partners Group? Contribute to the Community!