Party City

Updated Feb 22, 2015
Updated Feb 22, 2015

2.0

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Party City in March 2012.

Played phone tag for about a week. My phone calls were returned during the times I had told the manager I would be working. Told to take the "simple" on line test. Was not warned that the test consisted of difficult math questions that needed the use of a calculator. Took the test and knew I did badly. No call from the contact I had been talking to. Thought it would have been polite to at least call and say I wasn't a good fit for the company. I have been working management for over 10 years. I have never experienced an "interview" process so difficult for this type of position. The manager gave me more information about his career with Party City than he ask for about my career.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult questions were in the on line test.   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Party City.

I had a phone interview that went wonderful and was set up with the hiring DM. That interview went great and then was set up with my potential DM and Regional Manager. It started out okay until the questions turned into everything numbers and as if I were being interigated. The RM was mean mugging me the whole time as if I should be saying sorry for something I never did. It was the most difficult interview I have ever experienced. Maybe they should step back a realize that they are hiring a person not a robot. Or realize that I was applying for a GM not a DM.

Interview Questions
    • If you were the owner of your current employer, what 3 things would you change?   View Answer

Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Party City.

It was a quick and easy Interview process, applied in store and got a call back the next day to meet with manager. After interview, was offered and accepted position on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me why you're interested in working here? Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question
    None

General Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Party City.

Phone interview with HR. The next step was an interview with the DM. He called about an hour later to interview with the Regional and Regional HR managers who happened to be in town visiting stores.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral based questions about past experiences to determine your reaction to pressure situations.   View Answer
    There was not one offer was what I requested.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Party City in November 2010.

Spoke to the party city recruiter. He set me up with the DM. 1 on 1 with the DM. Phone interview with the HR manager. And a 1 on 1 interview with the Regional Manager. After this you talk to a psychologist. Yes a psychologist; for over an hour. He sets you up for a battery of test that you got to a staffing agency to complete. This take every bit of 5 hours and is pretty grueling. After the tests are sent back to psychologist, You get a call from the DM with an offer. Of course assuming you did very well on the testing.

Interview Questions
    • What do you feel are the most important aspect for running a successful store.   View Answers (2)
    No negotiation with the DM. Ask for what you want at the beginning and up it by a few thousand. They offer less than you ask for.

Personalization Specialest Interview

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Party City in May 2012.

I applied online and a few weeks later got a call to come in for an interview. At first it was one store and the Manager and I couldn't get a time to meet. He was going on vacationa and said that he'd call after he was back, never did hear from him again. A few weeks later got a call from a different Store manager, and was able to meet with him. He was nice, the questions were general and a quick interview, about a half an hour. Four weeks later, with me calling every once every week, I get a call to go into the second interview. This interview was with the Head Personalitazation Specialest in the Area, she was nice and I spent an hour with her. During this interview it came to light that there are FOUR interviews for this position. A week or two later I get a call for the third interview, this time with the District Manager. He was a half an hour late, because of a problem at another store. Spent about thirty minutes or so with him. He also asks if I've taken the online skilles test, which the first manager had emailed me. Less then a week later get a call for the fourth interview with a guy from Human Resorces. Spent an hour with him, and never heard back from them again. Again I've called and have e-mailed to try and get a responce.

I was bounced around for about two months or more between 4 different store managers, a district manager and an Human Resources guy yet they can't respond to even say a yes or no.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Matteson, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Matteson, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Party City in July 2013.

I walked in and applied. I was told to come back in a few days for an interview. This was my first interview, so I was really nervous. The lady had to try to get answers out of me because I didn't know what I was doing. I didn't prep the night before.

Interview Questions
    • If a customer is looking at birthday balloon, what do you do?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hurst, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hurst, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Party City in June 2011.

The first manager I worked under was Chris. He was quick with the interview due to it being busy when I arrived, but he asked me great questions that I knew would benefit him in hiring me. I knew how to upsell and have wonderful customer service. I learned within just that interview what he was looking for. I grew to be have perfect customer service skills/

Interview Questions
    • None unless you count that the first time I heard the term "upsell" was during this interview.   View Answer
    No negotiations necessary aside from only being able to work afternoons and he started me at $8.00/hour

Halloween Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Party City in July 2013.

Applied in-person and I called back the next week. I was called in for an interview. The interview was a group interview with about 6 people. It was hard to come up with unique answers if you were the last person to talk. About a week later I was offered the position. After accepting and filling out the paperwork, it took about 3 weeks to be called in

There was no negotiation

Online Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Party City in May 2010.

After responding to an ad in the newspaper, I heard from a recruiter the next day. I was then connected with the hiring manager for a short phone interview. We next met for an interview with cocktails - which should have tipped me off that something was unusual. The interviewer did most of the talking and really was working to sell me on taking the job. The final step was speaking to the VP who ran the division. I arrived at the office on time and was kept waiting for about 30 minutes, when the receptionist told me to go shopping or something because she would be delayed another hour. This turned out to be indicative of the way they viewed employees and valued their time. When we finally met, she asked some thoughtful questions about how my previous work would transfer to this present position and wanted to hear examples of past problem solving. I next had to interview on the phone with a company co-president, since this was a new position key to launching a new vertical. It went well and after some back on forth on salary, they made an offer.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were unexpected, but having to talk to the company president was a bit unusual. It showed how very senior management got involved with every level of operations.   Answer Question
    Start high and be ready to come down a bit. They acted like they were unaware that the Bay Area was an expensive place to live.