Party City Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 25, 2014
85 interviews

2.0

Assistant Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Party City in March 2012.

Played phone tag for about a week. My phone calls were returned during the times I had told the manager I would be working. Told to take the "simple" on line test. Was not warned that the test consisted of difficult math questions that needed the use of a calculator. Took the test and knew I did badly. No call from the contact I had been talking to. Thought it would have been polite to at least call and say I wasn't a good fit for the company. I have been working management for over 10 years. I have never experienced an "interview" process so difficult for this type of position. The manager gave me more information about his career with Party City than he ask for about my career.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult questions were in the on line test.   Answer Question

Personalization Specialest Interview

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Party City in May 2012.

I applied online and a few weeks later got a call to come in for an interview. At first it was one store and the Manager and I couldn't get a time to meet. He was going on vacationa and said that he'd call after he was back, never did hear from him again. A few weeks later got a call from a different Store manager, and was able to meet with him. He was nice, the questions were general and a quick interview, about a half an hour. Four weeks later, with me calling every once every week, I get a call to go into the second interview. This interview was with the Head Personalitazation Specialest in the Area, she was nice and I spent an hour with her. During this interview it came to light that there are FOUR interviews for this position. A week or two later I get a call for the third interview, this time with the District Manager. He was a half an hour late, because of a problem at another store. Spent about thirty minutes or so with him. He also asks if I've taken the online skilles test, which the first manager had emailed me. Less then a week later get a call for the fourth interview with a guy from Human Resorces. Spent an hour with him, and never heard back from them again. Again I've called and have e-mailed to try and get a responce.

I was bounced around for about two months or more between 4 different store managers, a district manager and an Human Resources guy yet they can't respond to even say a yes or no.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Matteson, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Matteson, IL

I interviewed in-person. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Party City in July 2013.

I walked in and applied. I was told to come back in a few days for an interview. This was my first interview, so I was really nervous. The lady had to try to get answers out of me because I didn't know what I was doing. I didn't prep the night before.

Interview Questions
    • If a customer is looking at birthday balloon, what do you do?   View Answer

General Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Party City.

Phone interview with HR. The next step was an interview with the DM. He called about an hour later to interview with the Regional and Regional HR managers who happened to be in town visiting stores.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral based questions about past experiences to determine your reaction to pressure situations.   View Answer
    There was not one offer was what I requested.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Party City in November 2010.

Spoke to the party city recruiter. He set me up with the DM. 1 on 1 with the DM. Phone interview with the HR manager. And a 1 on 1 interview with the Regional Manager. After this you talk to a psychologist. Yes a psychologist; for over an hour. He sets you up for a battery of test that you got to a staffing agency to complete. This take every bit of 5 hours and is pretty grueling. After the tests are sent back to psychologist, You get a call from the DM with an offer. Of course assuming you did very well on the testing.

Interview Questions
    • What do you feel are the most important aspect for running a successful store.   View Answers (2)
    No negotiation with the DM. Ask for what you want at the beginning and up it by a few thousand. They offer less than you ask for.

Halloween Expert Interview

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Party City in September 2011.

I applied online through allretailjobs.com and about a week later got a call to come in for the interview two days later. When I got to there I had to wait 20 minutes because the manager was still with another interview. The interview took about 30 minutes and he asked basic questions and he asked me if I had any questions. He then went on to tell me about the company and about himself and asked if I was still interested and said yes. He then told me that he saw something special in me and offered me the job on the spot.

Interview Questions
    He told me the job would pay minimum wage and I did not negotiate with him since it is only a temporary job.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hurst, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hurst, TX

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Party City in June 2011.

The first manager I worked under was Chris. He was quick with the interview due to it being busy when I arrived, but he asked me great questions that I knew would benefit him in hiring me. I knew how to upsell and have wonderful customer service. I learned within just that interview what he was looking for. I grew to be have perfect customer service skills/

Interview Questions
    • None unless you count that the first time I heard the term "upsell" was during this interview.   View Answer
    No negotiations necessary aside from only being able to work afternoons and he started me at $8.00/hour

Team Lead Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Party City in April 2011.

It was your basic questions. why do you want to work for comp.ny. why should we hire. asked about experience and so on.

Interview Questions
    • I was aked if its better to serve the customer or sell to them   View Answer
    there was no negotiating. human resources offers pay not person interviewing

Online Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pleasanton, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Party City in May 2010.

After responding to an ad in the newspaper, I heard from a recruiter the next day. I was then connected with the hiring manager for a short phone interview. We next met for an interview with cocktails - which should have tipped me off that something was unusual. The interviewer did most of the talking and really was working to sell me on taking the job. The final step was speaking to the VP who ran the division. I arrived at the office on time and was kept waiting for about 30 minutes, when the receptionist told me to go shopping or something because she would be delayed another hour. This turned out to be indicative of the way they viewed employees and valued their time. When we finally met, she asked some thoughtful questions about how my previous work would transfer to this present position and wanted to hear examples of past problem solving. I next had to interview on the phone with a company co-president, since this was a new position key to launching a new vertical. It went well and after some back on forth on salary, they made an offer.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were unexpected, but having to talk to the company president was a bit unusual. It showed how very senior management got involved with every level of operations.   Answer Question
    Start high and be ready to come down a bit. They acted like they were unaware that the Bay Area was an expensive place to live.

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fridley, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fridley, MN

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Party City in January 2011.

Turn in application, get a call, interview.

Interview Questions

Worked for Party City? Contribute to the Community!