Pason Systems Interview Questions

Updated Sep 29, 2014

Field Instrumentation Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Odessa, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Odessa, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Pason Systems.

I saw this company in Indeed.com. Sent in an application, I received a phone call from an area manager he conducted a quick phone interview liked what he heard, set up a ride along then a face to face. The ride along lasted 12 hrs and was supposed to be more like 8, glad I packed a lunch...... The face to face was with 2 area managers and 2 other field techs. Mostly simple questions about my resume and experience. I was told that this is a very labor intensive job with lots of hours and I would have to travel for 3 months while in training. At one point a field tech told me that he had worked a 26 hr shift a couple days ago and that those kind of hrs happen once a month or so. I was also told that they would have to interview my wife so she understood how much I would be away from home and to pretty much make sure she wouldn't get in the way of me being gone all the time. This is not an hourly position and starting salary was 65k a year NON negotiable. Bonuses are between 8 and 12k a year depending on performance and how much revenue you bring in.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me how many hours I have been awake for straight and how I function past the 24 hr mark.   View Answer
    • I told them I had just drove 14 hrs the night before coming home from the hospital that my grandmother was in. They asked "why didn't I call and inform them there was a problem?"   View Answer

International Field Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Pason Systems in October 2013.

I was contacted about position I applied for and possible set up of a phone interview. I then received email about interviewing face to face which was very casual, informative over lunch. Both interviewers were very friendly and put you at ease. I even received feedback onto why I did not get position, which is rare for companies to give nowadays.

Interview Questions
    • Asking about my background check. It was hard to explain my misdemeanors without detailed explanation.   View Answer

Senior Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Pason Systems.

Came to know about Pason through a well trusted recruiting firm.

The firm was screening (the reason I like them) before the company. Two interviews with the recruiting firm (one phone, one lunch).

The first phone screening with Pason was between the two recruiting firm interviews. It went very well, and a programming test was scheduled.

The programming test was a two hour timed test. Nothing exceptionally difficult for my level, although I was surprised to hear that only about 30% of candidates made it past the test. Basically, one question was of the quality you might expect a decent fresh graduate of a Comp Sci program might handle, the second wasn't difficult by any means, but would require a smattering of understanding of a toolkit. Overall, a good programming test, not hard, but with the bar just high enough to weed out people who can't program.

Then the on-site interview. They included a lunch, and had it before the screening process. Why? To see how a person does with a belly full of food? The first of three post-lunch interviews was a panel interview, which seemed to go really well. The second was with a lead (but it was unclear if that lead would be my supervisor) and it went very well too. The last was with a different lead, and that's what sunk me. There was no attempt to connect, my interviewer was crossing their arms as soon as they set down, and despite a few moments of honest communications, it was clear that I wasn't passing this guy's mark.

There's some good people there, but even the recruiting firm is getting stonewalled for what went wrong. I'd imagine it's like any company. Good with the bad. Too bad, as I'd really like to work for them, they have some really cool technology applied to a really interesting problem. To boot, they seem to have some pretty good people.

They tout their culture which seems a bit off. as nobody but the leads did much talking. Their office is gorgeous but sterile. While they always asked if there were any questions, such questions were answered quickly, without elaboration. Probably a good place to work, but we didn't click. Everyone's a bit reserved on a first meeting, but the advertisement and the impression didn't match.

I've know this recruiter for ~10 years, and it was hard to hear they were stonewalled too, they deserved a bit more consideration. Oh well, C'est La Vie.

Interview Questions
    • They asked how strong of a programmer I was with a language I've known for ~15 years. I'm quite accomplished with Java, so I answered a 10. Later, a different interviewer asked how I stood against my peers. Personally, the question seemed quite odd, as they already knew my programming strengths (even in the non-offer, they remarked upon it), and the interviewer kept stressing _against my peers_.

After pointing out it would slight my peers, he wouldn't let me slip out of an answer, so I answered 8 of 10, because, well, I'm just not the kind of person who's going to show up people I've worked for over the last near-decade (even in private). As that last hour wore on, the negative body language of the interviewer made it clear that I wasn't in the running.
        Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Pason Systems in April 2013.

a single on campus interview

Interview Questions
    • How do you think your knowledge in computer science (especially data analysis) can help the company gain insights about their customers?   Answer Question

Modeling and Control Systems Interview

Telephone interview. First introduce yourself, talk about your experience and skills. Sometimes you need to explicitly explain the techniques and skills you applied to the projects you did.

Field Service Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at Pason Systems in September 2014.

This is a very professional company, they handled all the details allowing me to focus on the interview.
    It started with a phone interview covering previous experience, education and workplace skills. Pason's HR did an excellent job of describing the position and what is required to be successful. They were happy with phone interview and arranged in-person interview within 2 weeks; taking care of every detail to fly me to Calgary. I found the experience to be professional, well planned and considerate of my comfort and convenience.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were well thought out, and dealt with all aspects of experience, skills, and behaviour. There were no real difficult questions for someone who answers honestly, the job requires long hours in remote areas. The questions related to someone's behaviour and work place safety in this type of environment. They were very informative and answered all questions posed to them.   Answer Question

Technical Communicator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Pason Systems in April 2012.

Rhe hiring process was pretty simple. The interview was a two interview process. The interview with the manager I found out later was full of misrepresentations. If I knew what the situation really would have been like I wouldn't have taken the job. From not being honest about the management style to not being honest on the philosophy of the department, it created a rude awakening when the real behavior came out. It wasn't long (3 weeks) before I decided that this department was not a department I wanted to work in.

Interview Questions
    Touchy. A figure that was quoted in the interview was "changed" in the negotiation process and I did not get what I was hoping to get.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Pason Systems in March 2011.

Previous co-worker now working there recommended me to his boss. Emailed my resume to him and
    after long delay due to arranging panel of team members, received invitation for interview. The interview
    consisted of 3 sessions, first about 1 half hour with 2 managers, and the second about 1.5 hours with
    4 team members asking a long list of technical questions (basically a verbal exam). Final part of
    interview included follow-up with one of the managers and some further discussion on my suitability.
    About 6 days after the interview, I received a rejection indicating that I was over-qualified for the position
    they were trying to fill. My inside contact indicated that they felt they could not afford me, so did not even
    want to make an offer (as it would have been only about 2/3's of my previous salary).

Interview Questions
    • How would I maintain the desire to perform in the position when I was obviously
      more than qualified and looking for something more senior?
        Answer Question
    • Review the following source code (handed me a sheet) and identify and explain at least 6 issues in it.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pason Systems in May 2010.

Performed a series of interviews both in person and phone. Technical interview included being asked to code a linked list using any language. Interviewers sat back and poked holes in design during the process.. .also commented on time. Wasn't sure if was trying to keep the pressure on or were legitimately not engaged. Was also requested to do a take home coding assignment which they said would take an hour or two but in reality was more like a 4-5 hour task.

Interview Questions

Salary was not what was expected and benefits were average at best. After going through such a lengthy interview would have expected more room for negotiation, but they would not budge on their offer.