Patagonia

6 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Developer Interview

Ventura, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Patagonia in April 2008.

Interview Details – Phone interview with direct boss, HR.

Face to face interview with HR, Boss and potential co-workers. Very little technical questions, many more questions based on personality and what I like to do outside of work. Low stress, wore jeans and a t-shirt.

Interview Question – How would you fix world hunger   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Took a job at a consulting company

Senior Designer Interview

Ventura, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Patagonia.

Interview Details – I interviewed three times from December through February. First with Line Manager & Design Director. Second time with Design Team & Design Director and a Third time with Upper Management: CEO, VPs, Owner, etc.

Negotiation Details – Smooth and we agreed on all the parameters, including salary.

Atlanta, GA

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Patagonia in June 2010.

Interview Details – I talked with them a number of times on the phone as well as random drop-ins to secure myself a spot for the next round of group interviews. At the interview there were 3 people firing off questions in a very casual, relaxed and nonthreatening manner. Be yourself, answer honestly and concisely and don't over dress and you'll be fine.

Interview Questions

• what's an important environmental issue going on in atlanta right now?   Answer Question
  • why do you want to work retail for patagonia? / why patagonia?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I wasnt really able to negotiate. I did ensure through my interview and expressed interest in the company that I received a "benefited" position.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Patagonia in August 2011.

Interview Details – The first round on interviews was a GROUP interview with about a dozen applicants and the store manager and the assistant store manager. It was basically a 30 - 45 min open discussion about the history of the company, the products, the quality of service, etc. The store manager asked questions like "what is your favorite product and why?" or " why do you want to work here?" or "If you had 1 million dollars and 1 month to spend it, what would you do?".

The second round was a 1 on 1 interview with the store manager and a floor leader. The questions were more serious and focused around the applicant's background, experience, and skills.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phrase. Everyone starts at the same salary.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Patagonia in June 2010.

Interview Details – Called in and requested an application. Filled out the application and drove down to hand it in and talk with the manager on duty. Got a call a couple of days later from the head manager asking that I come down for the "real interview" the group interview. Did it, went home, got the offer at the end of the week and started 3 weeks later.
I spoke first, I spoke often but not too much.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Not really. I asked for more money/hours - declined, though they did give me a couple of weeks to find an apt etc before I started. They said, and I later found, that's how they were structured (even little ol' patagonia's corporate).

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Patagonia in May 2010.

Interview Details – After walking into the store, I was greeted and asked who I could speak to about a job application. The woman behind the register mentioned that they were not hiring but were always accepting new applications. She handed me a blank (generic) job application which I completed in the store. After 3 days, I was contacted by one of the store managers and asked to come in for an interview. The interview was with the two store managers; I'd describe it as informal and casual. They were genuinely interested in my sales background and what I could offer the company. About 3 days after the in-store interview I received a job offer over the phone.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – The managers are fairly inflexible in salary negotiation.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Patagonia? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Patagonia interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Patagonia employees and interview candidates.