Patagonia

Updated Nov 26, 2014
Updated Nov 26, 2014

2.4

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Patagonia.

Was hired when Patagonia opened up a new store in Palo Alto several years ago. Dropped off a resume at the store and interviewed several days later. Was offered a position later that day.

Interview Questions
    • Typical interview questions. Knowledge of Patagonia products, history, and values is important.   Answer Question

Email Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ventura, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Patagonia in September 2014.

I found a job posting for an Email Marketing Associate on the Patagonia jobs page and applied via email. I recieved a rejection email, responded thanking them for their time, and then received a response saying that "upon a further look into your background, we'd like to schedule a phone interview." Weird, but I was grateful, and scheduled the interview.

Their HR person cancelled our interview 2 hours beforehand and then rescheduled for the following week. That week, the phone interview went well and she invited me to a phone interview with the Email Marketing Manager and Hiring Manager.

During the interview with the Email Marketing Manager and Hiring Manager, they were very friendly and easy to talk to. I think I could have done a better job with a few of my answers, but overall I think it went well.

I followed up a week later and was told that the Hiring Manager was out of town, but they would be back on Monday and would be in touch with me. I followed up another week later and didn't hear a response. They still haven't contacted me and the job posting is still online 3 months later.

Overall I got the impression that they aren't very honest or transparent during their hiring process, and they didn't respect my time. The whole interview process took a month between the cancellations and scheduling interviews far in advance, yet they still didn't seem to think my invested time warranted a rejection email. I was/am(?) such a huge fan of the company and their environmental stewardship, so it's a shame that they didn't uphold their reputation during the hiring process.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Patagonia.

Very casual. Was offered the job on the spot. Best advice: Be the ethos of Patagonia. That is, discuss your traveling experiences, outdoor experiences, passion for the environment. First question is customarily, what brings you to Patagonia and what do you like about the company? Be sure you have read the summaries of "Let My People Go Surfing" and understand the environmental/business philosophies that rest at the heart of this amazing company.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle a disgruntled customer?   View Answer
    No negotiation

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Patagonia.

Went into the store to see if they were hiring. It was after I graduated but needed a second job. Applying around the Holidays or early spring is a good time due to high traffic. Always go in to ask for an application and meet with the manager(s), look presentable. Putting a face with your application does wonders as they receive applications all the time.

Got a call back after a week and interviewed within a few days. It was a very quick process.

Interview was as expected. Needed to know the history of the company and its stance as a responsible company, etc.

Interview Questions
    • I had to name two more weaknesses after giving my first answer.   Answer Question
    I would recommend negotiating pay per hour. Also, be clear about how many hour a week you are willing and/or able to work. There is part-time and full-time positions for the company. Typically always hired as part-time to start, but this position's hours a week can fluctuate drastically if you aren't communicating with the manager.

Production Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Patagonia.

Got an email and set up an initial call - was told that it may take a while to contact me, so just hold tight. 3 months later, still haven't heard anything

Senior Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ventura, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Patagonia.

I interviewed three times from December through February. First with Line Manager & Design Director. Second time with Design Team & Design Director and a Third time with Upper Management: CEO, VPs, Owner, etc.

Smooth and we agreed on all the parameters, including salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Patagonia in June 2010.

I talked with them a number of times on the phone as well as random drop-ins to secure myself a spot for the next round of group interviews. At the interview there were 3 people firing off questions in a very casual, relaxed and nonthreatening manner. Be yourself, answer honestly and concisely and don't over dress and you'll be fine.

Interview Questions
    • what's an important environmental issue going on in atlanta right now?   Answer Question
    • why do you want to work retail for patagonia? / why patagonia?   Answer Question
    I wasnt really able to negotiate. I did ensure through my interview and expressed interest in the company that I received a "benefited" position.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ventura, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Patagonia in April 2008.

Phone interview with direct boss, HR.

Face to face interview with HR, Boss and potential co-workers. Very little technical questions, many more questions based on personality and what I like to do outside of work. Low stress, wore jeans and a t-shirt.

Interview Questions

Took a job at a consulting company

Material Quality Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Patagonia.

Several phone interviews took place after I applied via the website. I had an initial interview with HR recruitment, then the second phone interview involved multiple people at once. They requested a 3rd interview, but then never followed through to schedule it. I checked back several times, then found out the position had been filled.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Patagonia in August 2011.

The first round on interviews was a GROUP interview with about a dozen applicants and the store manager and the assistant store manager. It was basically a 30 - 45 min open discussion about the history of the company, the products, the quality of service, etc. The store manager asked questions like "what is your favorite product and why?" or " why do you want to work here?" or "If you had 1 million dollars and 1 month to spend it, what would you do?".

The second round was a 1 on 1 interview with the store manager and a floor leader. The questions were more serious and focused around the applicant's background, experience, and skills.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation phrase. Everyone starts at the same salary.