Patagonia Interview Questions

Updated Jul 30, 2015

2.3

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Patagonia in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received an email the next day for an in-person interview. The interview went really smoothly, no unexpected questions. Make sure you really understand Patagonia, their mission and mentality.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle unhappy or unsatisfied customers?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Patagonia.

Interview

Was hired when Patagonia opened up a new store in Palo Alto several years ago. Dropped off a resume at the store and interviewed several days later. Was offered a position later that day.

Interview Questions

• Typical interview questions. Knowledge of Patagonia products, history, and values is important.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Patagonia (Santa Monica, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Clear and fits with company culture; combination of a phone screen plus in-person interview. It gave me a chance to meet some of the people I'd be working with which was helpful for both sides.

Email Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Patagonia (Ventura, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

I found a job posting for an Email Marketing Associate on the Patagonia jobs page and applied via email. I recieved a rejection email, responded thanking them for their time, and then received a response saying that "upon a further look into your background, we'd like to schedule a phone interview." Weird, but I was grateful, and scheduled the interview. Their HR person cancelled our interview 2 hours beforehand and then rescheduled for the following week. That week, the phone interview went well and she invited me to a phone interview with the Email Marketing Manager and Hiring Manager. During the interview with the Email Marketing Manager and Hiring Manager, they were very friendly and easy to talk to. I think I could have done a better job with a few of my answers, but overall I think it went well. I followed up a week later and was told that the Hiring Manager was out of town, but they would be back on Monday and would be in touch with me. I followed up another week later and didn't hear a response. They still haven't contacted me and the job posting is still online 3 months later. Overall I got the impression that they aren't very honest or transparent during their hiring process, and they didn't respect my time. The whole interview process took a month between the cancellations and scheduling interviews far in advance, yet they still didn't seem to think my invested time warranted a rejection email. I was/am(?) such a huge fan of the company and their environmental stewardship, so it's a shame that they didn't uphold their reputation during the hiring process.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Patagonia.

Interview

Very casual. Was offered the job on the spot. Best advice: Be the ethos of Patagonia. That is, discuss your traveling experiences, outdoor experiences, passion for the environment. First question is customarily, what brings you to Patagonia and what do you like about the company? Be sure you have read the summaries of "Let My People Go Surfing" and understand the environmental/business philosophies that rest at the heart of this amazing company.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle a disgruntled customer?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Patagonia.

Interview

Went into the store to see if they were hiring. It was after I graduated but needed a second job. Applying around the Holidays or early spring is a good time due to high traffic. Always go in to ask for an application and meet with the manager(s), look presentable. Putting a face with your application does wonders as they receive applications all the time. Got a call back after a week and interviewed within a few days. It was a very quick process. Interview was as expected. Needed to know the history of the company and its stance as a responsible company, etc.

Interview Questions

• I had to name two more weaknesses after giving my first answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I would recommend negotiating pay per hour. Also, be clear about how many hour a week you are willing and/or able to work. There is part-time and full-time positions for the company. Typically always hired as part-time to start, but this position's hours a week can fluctuate drastically if you aren't communicating with the manager.

Production Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Patagonia.

Interview

Got an email and set up an initial call - was told that it may take a while to contact me, so just hold tight. 3 months later, still haven't heard anything

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Patagonia (Austin, TX) in August 2013.

Interview

I interviewed with both store managers in the store office. It was very informal, I wore a polo and shorts, and took roughly 30 minutes. They asked me a series of questions about my past work experience in retail, my knowledge of the company, and what skills I bring. Overal,l it was very straightforward and friendly.

Interview Questions

• Why do you care about Patagonia's environmental mission?   Answer Question

Senior Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ventura, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Patagonia (Ventura, CA).

Interview

I interviewed three times from December through February. First with Line Manager & Design Director. Second time with Design Team & Design Director and a Third time with Upper Management: CEO, VPs, Owner, etc.

Negotiation

Smooth and we agreed on all the parameters, including salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Patagonia (Atlanta, GA) in June 2010.

Interview

I talked with them a number of times on the phone as well as random drop-ins to secure myself a spot for the next round of group interviews. At the interview there were 3 people firing off questions in a very casual, relaxed and nonthreatening manner. Be yourself, answer honestly and concisely and don't over dress and you'll be fine.

Interview Questions

• what's an important environmental issue going on in atlanta right now?   Answer Question
    • why do you want to work retail for patagonia? / why patagonia?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I wasnt really able to negotiate. I did ensure through my interview and expressed interest in the company that I received a "benefited" position.