Patch Media

Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Patch Media.

Interview Details – I was hired as a contract worker, I had one phone interview and that was it, they were very nice.

Interview Question – What do business owners value the most?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, it was through a temping acency

Editor Interview

Editor

Interviewed at Patch Media

Interview Details – I reached out to the regional editor by email and asked about the open position. She asked for a current copy of my resume and then scheduled a phone interview.

Interview Question – The second interview wasn't really an interview, but a series of online tests that took four hours!   Answer Question

Inside Sales Account Executive Interview

Inside Sales Account Executive

Interviewed at Patch Media

Interview Details – Recruiters contacted me on LinkedIn. Interview process lasted a week. Really nice people that I talked to. Very efficient in getting the process done with. Interview with my manager was relaxed, talked a lot about me and what I wanted from the job and how it aligned with Patch, made small talk.

Interview Question – There were some situation questions where I had to think on my toes. "Tell me about a time when...."   Answer Question

Local Editor Interview

Local Editor

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Patch Media.

Interview Details – Initial human resources phone interview, management interview with 3-4 people, writing test that takes several hours, behavioral interview over phone, interview with another local editor in the region.

Interview Question – Behavioral Interview can be challenging if you aren't prepared, many "what would you do" or "how did you handle such and such" situational questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No salary negotiation, what they pay is what they pay.

Advertising Manager Interview

Advertising Manager
San Diego, CA

I applied through other source - interviewed at Patch Media in October 2010.

Interview Details – It was in the beginning of Patch, so it wasn't as difficult as I heard it was later in years to come. My interview process was one interview with the publisher, one phone interview with another publisher across the country and we clicked and the rest was just HR hoops to jump through.

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources

Interviewed at Patch Media

Interview Details – Initial phone call by recruiter then asked to come in. Very chaotic with little process and no structure.

Regional Publisher Interview

Regional Publisher
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Patch Media in April 2011.

Interview Details – The process is tedious and unorganized as you set appointments with interviewees and they do not show for the call or meeting as they are pulled into another meeting.
Once you get through the second interview after the recruiter it is a quick high pressure process whereby they want you and do truly need you to start now to help generate revenue for the company.

Interview Question – If you are a skilled employee there aren't really any gotcha questions as Patch is desperate in it's need to hire people.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You can negotiate with the recruiter salary and bonus

Inside Sales Interview

Inside Sales

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Patch Media.

Interview Details – Interview process was great. I left and felt like I interviewed them too! There was a pre screening phone interview, in office interview which included 3 parts, and a follow up cultural assessment. the entire process was over the course of about a week. I liked the CA because it showed they care about the work environment.

Interview Question – Discuss a time you took a risk.   Answer Question

Account Executive/Sales Interview

Account Executive/Sales

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Patch Media in October 2012.

Interview Details – I was initially approached via LinkedIn by one of their recruiters. She was great on the phone and over email: personable, enthusiastic and just seemed generally happy to work for the company. Her positivity coupled with the opportunity got me super excited. Fast forward to the actual interview. I met with the internal HR person who, after getting me situated, let me know who I'd be meeting; the hiring manager as well as a peer from the team. I found out that they like the prospective candidate to meet current team members as a way to get better acquainted with what it was like to work there as well as what to expect in the first year. On to the interview.....

In comes the hiring manager. Shakes my hand, sits down and barely looks up at me again. Spends the next 20+ minutes TALKING ABOUT HIMSELF. Literally. Told me HIS entire career history (leading up to & including Patch) while barely stopping to take a breath. Clearly he was very proud of his accomplishments and wanted to tell anyone who would listen. Then, when he was finally done, he looked at me and said. "Sell me something." I was taken aback. You talk about YOURSELF the whole time and thats all you have for me? No questions about my experience? Nothing? And he didn't give me the opportunity to ask HIM questions either. Next comes the "peer". She was fresh out of college, been at Patch a year and had less interviewing skills than he did. She kept focusing on where I went to school, what my degree was in, etc, etc.. Completely irrelevant. Especially since I'm in my late 30's and have about 15 years of experience over her to begin with. After that, I essentially told the recruiter thanks but no thanks. I also mentioned that if were looking to hire quality people, they need to train their managers on how to interview people properly. Patch may be great but the whole process left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Interview Question – What questions?? No one asked me any   Answer Question

Local Editor Interview

Local Editor
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Patch Media in May 2010.

Interview Details – At that point, they were filling a ton of positions in the area. I think the process was a bit eased because of that. I had an initial phone interview (to the best of my recollection) after giving my resume at a college-affiliated job fair. I then met with the regional editor, was given a writing assignment (I believe it is a test now) and was hired.

Worth noting they changed my original offer, dropping it about 8 percent. Clerical error, I was told. The place was kind of a mess at the time.

Interview Question – Standard journalism questions, as I recall.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very limited. I asked for more, they said I was at the top of the range already.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Patch Media? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Patch Media interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by Patch Media employees and interview candidates.