Pathway Genomics Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Pathway Genomics

Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Pathway Genomics (San Diego, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

Original phone screening was pretty standard:
    They asked questions like, if you had a number between 1 and 1000 how many tries would it take to get it right, about MVC, and other patterns. They also asked about SDLC and other things relating to development (including code versioning/repositories) etc.

A few days later, the in-person interview:
    Receptionist was not so friendly. I tried to make small talk but she was more interested in playing with her cellphone.

Interview Questions

• After the interview started:
      Asked highlevel development questions, what would you use an adapter pattern for, what different patterns do you have experience with, what function would you use for...etc.

1 Answer
    • Asked to solve two problems: Write a function that translates time to degrees on a circle, and solve an interview 2.0 problem.   Answer Question

They ultimately low-balled the offer.

Front End Developer Position Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Pathway Genomics (San Diego, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

Question: What is the difference between <b> and <strong>
    Question: Suppose we have a listnav and we want to do something when a user hovers around it, what would you do?
    Answer: I'd capture the onmouseover event...
    Question: To pick a number between 1 to 1000 how many trys would it take?
    Answer: I thought it had something to do with the big O notation of simple sort/traverse...

Interview Questions

• To pick a number between 1 to 1000, how many trys would it take?   Answer Question

Programmer-Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pathway Genomics (San Diego, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

Skills test before phone interview. Apparently did well enough to get phone interview. Did well enough to get group interviews.

Group interviews conducted by several panels of 2 to 5 people. Major focus on PHP programming principles. Stressed pretty strongly that it was a Linux shop. No Windows there.

Last panel was horrendous:

Consisted of two people, an older lady and a young man. The man was literally falling asleep during the interview process. At one point, he asked a question, nodded off, and while I was answering the question, the lady interrupted me to ask another question. When I asked her if she wanted me to finish answering the sleeping guy's question, she told me she thought I was done because I was rambling.

Most unprofessional interview I've ever been to or heard of.

Interview Questions

• What makes you a better candidate than all of our other candidates?   1 Answer
    • How many tries would it take to successfully choose a randomly-picked number from between 1 and 1000?   2 Answers