Paul Hastings Interview Questions

Updated Oct 1, 2014
Updated Oct 1, 2014

2.8

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Paul Hastings.

You apply online. They do a screening interview. The initial interview might be with two attorneys. In their smaller offices, the interviewers might be partners. If you get selected for the next round, then you have a callback interview. The callback interview is with various individuals. It is usually a mix of people with different positions: partners, senior associates and junior associates (and an of-counsel if the office has one). The interviews differ from person to person. The partners tend to care about the bottom line. These include things like: did you get any other offers? Are you capable of bringing in business at the end of the day?. The associates care about whether you are easy to get along with.

Summer Associate Interview

Started with on campus interview, from which I received a callback. Callback interviews were fairly easy. Met with about 5-6 attorneys, which included a two-attorney lunch. Conversations varied between casual chit-chat to some behavioral-type questions to some questions about work experience. I was also asked about my practice interests. Be prepared for questions about how you would handle particular situations.

Interview Questions
    • Do not remember anything particularly difficult. I believe I was asked a question about whether I was more of a follower or leader.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Records Clerk Interview

Two person panel interview. Very formal. One interview only, however. Had questions that they had prepared. Smiled and were very friendly. Once interviewed the offer came by a phone call and the rest was handled by HR through email. There was an extensive background check they had to complete before the offer was final.

Interview Questions
    • How would you prioritize tasks considering the number of different jobs you might have to complete in one day?   Answer Question

Litigation Assistant Interview

HR contacted me and scheduled a prompt interview. Process included a test of MS Office skills, a grammar test, and a vocabulary test. Following the tests, interviewed with HR and then two partners and an associate. HR was pretentious, but both partners and the associate were polite and friendly. The office seemed to be pleasant and conducive to getting work done. Other than HR, who acted like you might expect a senior partner to act, everyone was wonderful.

Librarian Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Paul Hastings in September 2013.

Interview process was straightforward after going through the HR screening. In-person interview was thorough and touched on technical knowledge, people skills & culture-related questions.

Interview Questions
    • What's something you don't want to be doing in 5 years?   View Answer

Senior Staff Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Paul Hastings.

Short. Interviewed via phone. Typical questions about experience and technical background

Interview Questions
    Easy negotiations but they were not honest about the benefits pre-hire. They talked them up and then you find out that not all the benefits are available to staff. Very shady hiring practices.

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Paul Hastings in September 2011.

Pretty straight forward, On-campus interview, plus call back on-site with five attorneys.

Associate Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Paul Hastings in September 2011.

Interviewed through traditional on-campus law school recruiting process (OCI). Interviewer there, and interviewers during call-backs, were very professional, friendly, and thoughtful. Once I got an offer, I was picking between them and another firm, and they accommodated a second visit, including lunch with a partner and senior associate in a practice group I was interested in, an office visit with another senior associate (who was the person who ultimately sold me on joining the firm), and facilitated phone conversations with several junior associates to candidly answer various questions.

Interview Questions
    • Didn't really have very difficult questions. Attitude of all interviewers was more collaborative and friendly - trying to get to know you instead of tripping you up. Only difficult question I had was one attorney who asked me about work I'd done during my 1L internship and challenged me on my conclusion in a research memo. It wasn't contentious though. Seemed more like he was interested to have a good discussion about the issues and see where I was coming from.   View Answer
    Not able to negotiate salary or other terms.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Paul Hastings in May 2011.

Dropped my resume at a career fair, filled out a small survey about which field i was interested in, Got a phonecall asking me to come in, went in, took a short skills test (very easy computer and grammar stuff) interviewed with 2 managers in 2 separate 30 minute interviews. took about 2-3 hours.

Managers were nice,very interested in technical backgrounds, got a call the next day with the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Describe experience on your resume, what did you do here.   Answer Question
    • When you have conflicting projects, how do you solve that problem.   Answer Question

Contract Attorney/Translator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Paul Hastings in April 2011.

The agency emailed me the date of the interview as well as the contact information of the attorney who would be interviewing me. I went in, met with the senior attorney in charge of the case and spoke to her about my experience and skills. I was given an initial assignment as a test before getting hired.