Paul Hastings Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2015

2.8

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Paul Hastings (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Regular phone interview screening call. Called seemed nice and polite; asked basic questions about position and if my experience matches the position. Was rather brief and finished stating that my resume would be submitted to Paul Hastings and would be contacting me at a later date to schedule an interview if they would select me for one. Hmmm....still waiting...not

Interview Questions

• What is current salary and how much are you looking at?   Answer Question

Senior Systems Engineer, Database Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paul Hastings.

Interview

There was a single Interview with three people at the same time (a panel interview). Two Managers and a Senior Staff Member. HR made an offer, but returned any counter offers. I learned later that additional vacation and a hiring bonus might have been considered.

Interview Questions

• General questions about database and Systems Engineering. They were especially interested in flexibility to perform other tasks than the main purpose for the job. They were looking for a good variety of skills.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Salary sent to compensation for approval and then forwarded to Manager for final acceptance.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Paul Hastings.

Interview

You apply online. They do a screening interview. The initial interview might be with two attorneys. In their smaller offices, the interviewers might be partners. If you get selected for the next round, then you have a callback interview. The callback interview is with various individuals. It is usually a mix of people with different positions: partners, senior associates and junior associates (and an of-counsel if the office has one). The interviews differ from person to person. The partners tend to care about the bottom line. These include things like: did you get any other offers? Are you capable of bringing in business at the end of the day?. The associates care about whether you are easy to get along with.

Summer Associate Interview

Interview

Started with on campus interview, from which I received a callback. Callback interviews were fairly easy. Met with about 5-6 attorneys, which included a two-attorney lunch. Conversations varied between casual chit-chat to some behavioral-type questions to some questions about work experience. I was also asked about my practice interests. Be prepared for questions about how you would handle particular situations.

Interview Questions

• Do not remember anything particularly difficult. I believe I was asked a question about whether I was more of a follower or leader.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Talent Services Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Paul Hastings in March 2014.

Interview

I met with a recruiter at my school's career fair, and dropped off my resume. I was contacted a little over a week later by that recruiter and she set up an interview with me. I had to take a test on spelling, grammar, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. The test was VERY simple and not something to stress about--just at test to see whether you can do regular, basic administrative functions. The interview was completely behavioral. They are not trying to trick you whatsoever and it was a rather straightforward process.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time where you had difficulty working in a group. How did you handle it and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Because I was an intern there was no negotiation possible.

Records Clerk Interview

Interview

Two person panel interview. Very formal. One interview only, however. Had questions that they had prepared. Smiled and were very friendly. Once interviewed the offer came by a phone call and the rest was handled by HR through email. There was an extensive background check they had to complete before the offer was final.

Interview Questions

• How would you prioritize tasks considering the number of different jobs you might have to complete in one day?   Answer Question

Librarian Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Paul Hastings in September 2013.

Interview

Interview process was straightforward after going through the HR screening. In-person interview was thorough and touched on technical knowledge, people skills & culture-related questions.

Interview Questions

• What's something you don't want to be doing in 5 years?   1 Answer

Interview

HR contacted me and scheduled a prompt interview. Process included a test of MS Office skills, a grammar test, and a vocabulary test. Following the tests, interviewed with HR and then two partners and an associate. HR was pretentious, but both partners and the associate were polite and friendly. The office seemed to be pleasant and conducive to getting work done. Other than HR, who acted like you might expect a senior partner to act, everyone was wonderful.

Senior Staff Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Paul Hastings.

Interview

Short. Interviewed via phone. Typical questions about experience and technical background

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Easy negotiations but they were not honest about the benefits pre-hire. They talked them up and then you find out that not all the benefits are available to staff. Very shady hiring practices.

Associate Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Paul Hastings (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

Interviewed through traditional on-campus law school recruiting process (OCI). Interviewer there, and interviewers during call-backs, were very professional, friendly, and thoughtful. Once I got an offer, I was picking between them and another firm, and they accommodated a second visit, including lunch with a partner and senior associate in a practice group I was interested in, an office visit with another senior associate (who was the person who ultimately sold me on joining the firm), and facilitated phone conversations with several junior associates to candidly answer various questions.

Interview Questions

• Didn't really have very difficult questions. Attitude of all interviewers was more collaborative and friendly - trying to get to know you instead of tripping you up. Only difficult question I had was one attorney who asked me about work I'd done during my 1L internship and challenged me on my conclusion in a research memo. It wasn't contentious though. Seemed more like he was interested to have a good discussion about the issues and see where I was coming from.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not able to negotiate salary or other terms.