PayPal

Updated Dec 7, 2014
Updated Dec 7, 2014

2.9

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at PayPal.

A friend who worked at Paypal forwarded my resume to their internal recruiter and she set-up a phone screen for me.

The person called-up at the scheduled time and without bothering to introduce himself plunged right into asking me about my most recent project. Within 2-3 sentences he interrupted me and jumped to another section of my resume. Within 2-3 sentences of that he interrupted again and jumped to my education. I got the feeling that he was not really listening to me. I had taken a course in compilers several years ago and he then asked me to describe how to write a compiler. I mixed up a lexer and a parser in the first sentence and he got ticked off about that - rudely correcting me before I could correct myself. He then peppered me with questions that were absolutely irrelevant to the job I was applying for - example what is a fast-fourier transform and how is it used in signal processing? I was just taken aback at this question - I'm not a analog/digital processing electrical engineer nor do I play one on TV!

The interviewer came across as having a huge superiority complex - essentially being rude and condescending throughout the interview.

I narrated my experience to my friend and he confirmed that the person who interviewed has had several run-ins with his co-workers and management because of his attitude. Oh well.

Interview Questions
    • What is a fast-fourier transform and how is it used in signal processing? This was for a software-developer position!   Answer Question

Sales Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at PayPal.

Took about 6 weeks from start to finish. Extremely slow process. Very strange recruiting process. Several interviews with several team leads, one can't make any kind if decision. No drug testing, but do background check. Very strange.

Interview Questions
    • The management has come up with a set criteria of questions. Very archaic and not optimal to the diversity of sales reps.   View Answer
    They do not negotiate

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PayPal.

I submitted my resume at a career fair and basically forgot about it for a while. Got an email weeks later asking for an interview, which consisted of 3 Skype interviews in a row. Nothing difficult, I only had 1 tech question, and the rest were all behavioral.

Interview Questions
    Got a very good offer, did not negotiate.

Remediation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at PayPal in November 2014.

I was endorsed by a staffing solutions firm. A day after the recruiter scheduled me for a phone interview with one of the team leader. A few hours after the phone interview my recruiter called and scheduled me for an in-person interview in the next two days. On the day of the interview, I met my recruiter at the location who then introduced me to another team leader. The team leader escorted me and we then proceeded with the interview process. I was interviewed by 4 staffs from various teams consecutively in 3 hours. There was also a short written test to measure one's proficiency in SQL scripting and debugging of nested joins and Select queries. The interviewers were personable, astute, and quite passionate about their work. One can tell from their questions that this position was urgent and vital to their operations. They were courteous in answering my questions and even thank me for taking time to apply for this position. Their kind gesture and professionalism made this interview process a humbling and unforgettable experience.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the items in the written exam were "What Does This Code Do?" type formats. While they were not difficult, several of them were time-consuming especially those that included data manipulation languages with nested joins integrated into the scripts.   View Answer
    The negotiation with the staffing agency was not problematic. The recruiter was honest and upfront and willing to work and explore to arrive at amicable terms.

Software Development EngineerAt Paypal, Shanghai Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at PayPal.

Ebay&Paypal came to our university to hire intern. Got a short written test, about several simple tech questions and brain tease. After one hour, we were asked to take several short interviews. Three tech round, first with a engineer, second with a project manager, third with a group manager. Nothing special, no code writing. Just ask some basic questions about OS, Database, Network and something about your CV. After one month, I got the offer.

Senior Manager Finance Interview

The initial interview was a 45 minute phone screen by hiring manager. A week later, a Human Resource associate coordinated a full day on campus interview for the following week. The on campus interview consisted of six 45 minute interviews with team members and business partners at different levels. Lunch with more junior team members was part of the agenda.

Software Engineer Java Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at PayPal.

I talked to an ebay recruiter on a career fair, they accepted my resume. 3 days later I accepted an email from a software engineer manager, schedule a phone screen next week. The process takes a little more than 30 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Basic questions about data structure. Lots of unexpected questions about databases, which I did not prepare. Questions include: inheritance, reference, mutex, deadlocks.   View Answer

Customer Solutions Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hunt Valley, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hunt Valley, MD

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at PayPal.

I applied online, received an email the same day from the recruiter going over the position and asking me if I this was something I was interested in to give her a call. Did a brief phone interview the next day she gave me good advice on what to do at the actually interview and what the person interviewing me would be looking for. Had the interview two days later with a supervisor. Asked very basic situational questions, just try to be confident and be energetic and you will do fine.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to break a rule or wanted to break a rule   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you were faced with a difficult goal   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Basic coding questions, and some simple design questions. Focusses mainly on simple whiteboard questions and how well you know some data structures. Not difficult and if you are a decent coder you should be able to crack this

Head of Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at PayPal in October 2014.

I Met with 3 people via video conference, all were very helpful and we had a great discussion. Great energy from everyone I talked with during the interview process.