PayPal Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

2.9

Application

I applied online – interviewed at PayPal.

Interview

I posted for the position - received a follow up email to schedule an interview. I've sent 3 emails to follow up on the email from PayPal - radio silence. Disappointing that for a Sr HR role - the recruiting team appears unresponsive. I believe how you treat people during the interviewing process is how you will be treated as an employee. Hopefully - HR will ensure in the future the recruiting team is treating candidates with respect.

Group Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PayPal.

Interview

Well structured. Got to meet cross-functional team.
    Multiple interviews with atleast 5 people from various teams. Interviews involved combination of phone and in-person meetings. Be prepared to expect technical, thought provoking scenario based questions and behavioral interviews.

Business casual dress code expected.

Followed by HR for discussion on offer/compensation.

Interview Questions

• Multiple behavioral questions about culture fit, working with cross functional teams   Answer Question

Database Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Very quick and precise interview process. Very well organized as compared to most of the companies these days, where panel's does not show up or indifferent to the interview process.

3 Other members in the panel other than the hiring manager.

First interviewer: Specific questions about data migration strategy. Big data. SQL/NoSQL DB. New initiative and relevant experience to these technologies.
    Second interviewer: Business system analysis, data modelling, Situational analysis.
    Third interviewer: ETL, Architecture, SQL, Process design.

Interview Questions

• Q: How would you work with a Business user to enhance or develop a new reporting area?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PayPal (Austin, TX).

Interview

I was brought in to interview for a Frontend UI developer position. But every person (except 1) I met with was a Java developer. The questions asked to me were not related to the position I had been led to believe I was interviewing for. They were very disorganized and some of the interviews were with who would be my direct report except he was not understandable (bad accent) and located in CA. They only positive part of the process was I am now confident I do not want to ever work for Paypal. Oh, tons of arrogance by the interviewers. I guess you've "made it" if you work for Paypal.

Interview Questions

• Java: Binary Trees; HashMaps; HashTrees.
      javascript Enclosures; Running PHP inside of Javascript.

Again, tons of Java related questions for a Frontend UI position.

Answer Question

Risk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PayPal (Berkeley, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied through Ebay website. The process took 2 weeks.
    There are 3 phone interviews in total. The first one focuses on my background and asked few questions about SQL, and optimization given a simple scenario. The second one is with a Risk Manager and she is the potential supervisor of this intern position. She asked me about how to determine a credit card stolen given some conditions. The last phone interview just focused on some behavior questions and also some questions about risks.

Software Engineer Intern III Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at PayPal.

Interview

Applied through college job fair and was contacted in 2 weeks. Recruiter arranged a Skype call that was split into 3 interviews. 2 interviews with some devs who asked tech questions and one with the team manager. Got acceptance in 2 weeks.

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at PayPal.

Interview

The process started with a 45-minute phone interview. The next step involved 3 more phone interviews all lasting about 45 minutes to an hour. The next step was an in-person interview with the leadership this position would be supporting. After multiple interviews I never heard from anyone again - no email, no phone call, no system-generated decline letter. Everyone I spoke and met with was friendly. The culture appeared fast-paced with high expectations.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in leaving your current employer? What interests you about this position? Tell me of a time you _____ (fill in the blank - they were based on the role, responsibilities, etc.)? What are your salary expectations? How soon could you start if selected?   Answer Question

Corporate Strategy Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Easy process including a 30-minute phone interview and a 'super day' onsite that included a case study. Was given a case prompt, had an hour to prep, and then had to present a few "dummy" slides to a panel of 3 members of the team.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PayPal (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online through their Careers website.
    HR contacted me few weeks later and asked me if I was available to talk to a manager.
    The manager generally questioned me on my interests, projects and described at length about the projects at Paypal.
    He asked me a few questions on my projects and in general, my opinions on different languages, technologies.
    After this, I had a technical phone screen with one of the engineers on the team.
    It was a coding round coupled with some questions on OOPs, multi-threading etc.
    I was immediately contacted for another set of interviews. Since I could not go onsite to their SFO office, all these rounds were online.
    I had three interviews which were completely coding.
    But the interviews were really friendly and extremely cool.
    They would let you arrive to the solution and were interested in how you think ,your reasoning apart from your code.

Interview Questions

• All questions were coding, OOPs concepts, standard algorithms and data structures. Complexity and some questions were related to JAVA.
      Nothing unexpected.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got reply after one month. Had three rounds of interview. All telephonic. First interview was with the technical manager of the team. She asked me about my projects and other behavioral questions like why do want work at PayPal etc. It lasted hardly for 20 mins. Then the second round and third rounds were with the engineers within the team. They also asked me mostly about my projects. These were a bit detailed interviews and drilled down into the specifics about it.

Interview Questions

• Surprisingly no coding or object oriented questions were asked.   Answer Question