PayPal

Updated Feb 21, 2015
Updated Feb 21, 2015

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Was contacted a few weeks after applying through my university. Had a first round interview with an engineer and then moved on to the final round which consisted of three interviews with two engineers and a manager.

Debit Card Team Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PayPal.

Two interviews. First with HR and then with team leaders. Following the second interview, it was apparent I was going to receive an offer because I was walked through the building to show me the facilities and where training would be conducted. Approach the interview with a positive and honest approach and you should do fine. I like PayPal because its a more modern and progressive company that where I previously worked. I mentioned this during the interview and when asked why I wanted to leave.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation...offer was at a specific hourly rate.

Customer Solutions Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at PayPal in January 2015.

Applied online and received email the next day to arrange a brief phone screening, along with a separate email with an assessment test. Typing speed, basic customer service questions, and computer usage. This went really well as the recruiter is very helpful in feeling you out and telling you what to expect/prep for at on site interview, which in my case was 3 days later. Met with a Talent Acquisition Coordinator, whom was very nice and down to earth, while maintaining enough formality to keep that "job interview" vibe. A bit of chat then right into the behavioral interview questions. "Describe a time you encountered a difficult co worker or team member and how did you handle it" stuff. Also, KNOW what PayPal does.

At this point a on site interview is scheduled - they said "group", but I met with 2 Team managers at the same time, with no one else present. First a tour to show you the facility and perks, followed by both managers asking you questions in tandem. All behavioral, it is a bit unsettling as it goes from casual "normal" conversation during tour to the behavioral questions which is followed by silence as they write down your answers and take notes. When done they left the room, presumably to confer and decide.

I was asked to remain and log in to my email to wait for a background check email to come through. I can only assume if they did not believe you were a good fit that you would not be asked to stay and the interview would be concluded prior. Before I left, I was asked which date of training class I would prefer and took that as a good sign. I received an offer by phone within 3 days from the original person from the first on site, which is nice, it shows they actually remember YOU and not just another applicant. Official email offer follows.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to meet with a superior about your performance and what was the result.   View Answer

Data Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at PayPal.

For intern interview, only one round.
    Discuss the projects written in the resume.
    Asked an open question, it is the real problem they come across during this work. Mainly want to know how you solve the problem.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at PayPal in January 2015.

There are 4 rounds. They mainly asked me the experiences in previous projects. They also asked me some design questions (distributed system) and algorithms questions. I thought it is easy but in retrospect, they seem don't like me. Three out of four are from India. They are very professional developer. Because they are contributors of some open source project.

Business Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PayPal.

Internal candidate, minimal interviews required, all of them were one on ones with various direct and indirect team members. I asked to speak to additional people and was granted a list of seven additional people I followed up with.

Interview Questions
    • Five layers of what I want, good at and previous managers would say I need to work on   View Answer
    Internal policies and procedures dictate movement steps from one role to another.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at PayPal.

A friend who worked at Paypal forwarded my resume to their internal recruiter and she set-up a phone screen for me.

The person called-up at the scheduled time and without bothering to introduce himself plunged right into asking me about my most recent project. Within 2-3 sentences he interrupted me and jumped to another section of my resume. Within 2-3 sentences of that he interrupted again and jumped to my education. I got the feeling that he was not really listening to me. I had taken a course in compilers several years ago and he then asked me to describe how to write a compiler. I mixed up a lexer and a parser in the first sentence and he got ticked off about that - rudely correcting me before I could correct myself. He then peppered me with questions that were absolutely irrelevant to the job I was applying for - example what is a fast-fourier transform and how is it used in signal processing? I was just taken aback at this question - I'm not a analog/digital processing electrical engineer nor do I play one on TV!

The interviewer came across as having a huge superiority complex - essentially being rude and condescending throughout the interview.

I narrated my experience to my friend and he confirmed that the person who interviewed has had several run-ins with his co-workers and management because of his attitude. Oh well.

Interview Questions
    • What is a fast-fourier transform and how is it used in signal processing? This was for a software-developer position!   Answer Question

Sales Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at PayPal.

Took about 6 weeks from start to finish. Extremely slow process. Very strange recruiting process. Several interviews with several team leads, one can't make any kind if decision. No drug testing, but do background check. Very strange.

Interview Questions
    • The management has come up with a set criteria of questions. Very archaic and not optimal to the diversity of sales reps.   View Answer
    They do not negotiate

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PayPal in December 2014.

I submitted my application in Nov. 2014, and I got the interview during mid Dec. 2014. They have two interview processes. The first one just asked everything on my resume w/o technical questions. The second one is two software engineer manager.

Interview Questions
    • Technical interview: The first interviewer only asked something on my resume and just sent two programming questions through email. ( First one is concurrency problem with handing internet packet, the other one is reverse string with efficient time/space performance) The second interviewer asked general technical questions. Such as, compare the difference between C++/Java/Scalar, What's Map-Reduce, Tree-traversal, SQL syntax)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PayPal.

I submitted my resume at a career fair and basically forgot about it for a while. Got an email weeks later asking for an interview, which consisted of 3 Skype interviews in a row. Nothing difficult, I only had 1 tech question, and the rest were all behavioral.

Interview Questions
    Got a very good offer, did not negotiate.