PayPal Interview Questions

Updated Jul 21, 2015

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at PayPal.

Interview

It was very professional and a terrific learning experience. The interview process has multiple rounds. The first was a phone interview followed by 2 or 3 on site interviews. Overall a positive experience Great!

Application

I applied online – interviewed at PayPal.

Interview

I posted for the position - received a follow up email to schedule an interview. I've sent 3 emails to follow up on the email from PayPal - radio silence. Disappointing that for a Sr HR role - the recruiting team appears unresponsive. I believe how you treat people during the interviewing process is how you will be treated as an employee. Hopefully - HR will ensure in the future the recruiting team is treating candidates with respect.

Group Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PayPal.

Interview

Well structured. Got to meet cross-functional team. Multiple interviews with atleast 5 people from various teams. Interviews involved combination of phone and in-person meetings. Be prepared to expect technical, thought provoking scenario based questions and behavioral interviews. Business casual dress code expected. Followed by HR for discussion on offer/compensation.

Interview Questions

• Multiple behavioral questions about culture fit, working with cross functional teams   Answer Question

Senior Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at PayPal (Chandler, AZ) in June 2015.

Interview

This interview process was incredibly long and tedious. The recruiter was great and very responsive. I met with over 15 people in 3 different locations which took over 3 months to complete. There was not a clear process and the decision maker changed mid-stream. The initial conversations were good, the leadership team in Omaha was great but the panel process in Chandler was not positive. The team was not engaging, they seemed to try to intentionally make the conversation challenging, and they seemed to care more about connecting with them then my ability to do the job. In the end, I did not receive an offer with no substantial feedback.

Interview Questions

• They actually asked me about my family, ages of my kids, and what I do in my off time.   Answer Question

Database Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Very quick and precise interview process. Very well organized as compared to most of the companies these days, where panel's does not show up or indifferent to the interview process. 3 Other members in the panel other than the hiring manager. First interviewer: Specific questions about data migration strategy. Big data. SQL/NoSQL DB. New initiative and relevant experience to these technologies. Second interviewer: Business system analysis, data modelling, Situational analysis. Third interviewer: ETL, Architecture, SQL, Process design.

Interview Questions

• Q: How would you work with a Business user to enhance or develop a new reporting area?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PayPal (Austin, TX).

Interview

I was brought in to interview for a Frontend UI developer position. But every person (except 1) I met with was a Java developer. The questions asked to me were not related to the position I had been led to believe I was interviewing for. They were very disorganized and some of the interviews were with who would be my direct report except he was not understandable (bad accent) and located in CA. They only positive part of the process was I am now confident I do not want to ever work for Paypal. Oh, tons of arrogance by the interviewers. I guess you've "made it" if you work for Paypal.

Interview Questions

• Java: Binary Trees; HashMaps; HashTrees. javascript Enclosures; Running PHP inside of Javascript. Again, tons of Java related questions for a Frontend UI position.   Answer Question

Risk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PayPal (Berkeley, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied through Ebay website. The process took 2 weeks. There are 3 phone interviews in total. The first one focuses on my background and asked few questions about SQL, and optimization given a simple scenario. The second one is with a Risk Manager and she is the potential supervisor of this intern position. She asked me about how to determine a credit card stolen given some conditions. The last phone interview just focused on some behavior questions and also some questions about risks.

Software Engineer Intern III Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at PayPal.

Interview

Applied through college job fair and was contacted in 2 weeks. Recruiter arranged a Skype call that was split into 3 interviews. 2 interviews with some devs who asked tech questions and one with the team manager. Got acceptance in 2 weeks.

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at PayPal.

Interview

The process started with a 45-minute phone interview. The next step involved 3 more phone interviews all lasting about 45 minutes to an hour. The next step was an in-person interview with the leadership this position would be supporting. After multiple interviews I never heard from anyone again - no email, no phone call, no system-generated decline letter. Everyone I spoke and met with was friendly. The culture appeared fast-paced with high expectations.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in leaving your current employer? What interests you about this position? Tell me of a time you _____ (fill in the blank - they were based on the role, responsibilities, etc.)? What are your salary expectations? How soon could you start if selected?   Answer Question

Corporate Strategy Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Easy process including a 30-minute phone interview and a 'super day' onsite that included a case study. Was given a case prompt, had an hour to prep, and then had to present a few "dummy" slides to a panel of 3 members of the team.