PayPal

Updated Jan 16, 2015
Updated Jan 16, 2015

2.9

Customer Solutions Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at PayPal in January 2015.

Applied online and received email the next day to arrange a brief phone screening, along with a separate email with an assessment test. Typing speed, basic customer service questions, and computer usage. This went really well as the recruiter is very helpful in feeling you out and telling you what to expect/prep for at on site interview, which in my case was 3 days later. Met with a Talent Acquisition Coordinator, whom was very nice and down to earth, while maintaining enough formality to keep that "job interview" vibe. A bit of chat then right into the behavioral interview questions. "Describe a time you encountered a difficult co worker or team member and how did you handle it" stuff. Also, KNOW what PayPal does.

At this point a on site interview is scheduled - they said "group", but I met with 2 Team managers at the same time, with no one else present. First a tour to show you the facility and perks, followed by both managers asking you questions in tandem. All behavioral, it is a bit unsettling as it goes from casual "normal" conversation during tour to the behavioral questions which is followed by silence as they write down your answers and take notes. When done they left the room, presumably to confer and decide.

I was asked to remain and log in to my email to wait for a background check email to come through. I can only assume if they did not believe you were a good fit that you would not be asked to stay and the interview would be concluded prior. Before I left, I was asked which date of training class I would prefer and took that as a good sign. I received an offer by phone within 3 days from the original person from the first on site, which is nice, it shows they actually remember YOU and not just another applicant. Official email offer follows.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to meet with a superior about your performance and what was the result.   View Answer

Data Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at PayPal.

For intern interview, only one round.
    Discuss the projects written in the resume.
    Asked an open question, it is the real problem they come across during this work. Mainly want to know how you solve the problem.

Business Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PayPal.

Internal candidate, minimal interviews required, all of them were one on ones with various direct and indirect team members. I asked to speak to additional people and was granted a list of seven additional people I followed up with.

Interview Questions
    • Five layers of what I want, good at and previous managers would say I need to work on   View Answer
    Internal policies and procedures dictate movement steps from one role to another.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at PayPal.

A friend who worked at Paypal forwarded my resume to their internal recruiter and she set-up a phone screen for me.

The person called-up at the scheduled time and without bothering to introduce himself plunged right into asking me about my most recent project. Within 2-3 sentences he interrupted me and jumped to another section of my resume. Within 2-3 sentences of that he interrupted again and jumped to my education. I got the feeling that he was not really listening to me. I had taken a course in compilers several years ago and he then asked me to describe how to write a compiler. I mixed up a lexer and a parser in the first sentence and he got ticked off about that - rudely correcting me before I could correct myself. He then peppered me with questions that were absolutely irrelevant to the job I was applying for - example what is a fast-fourier transform and how is it used in signal processing? I was just taken aback at this question - I'm not a analog/digital processing electrical engineer nor do I play one on TV!

The interviewer came across as having a huge superiority complex - essentially being rude and condescending throughout the interview.

I narrated my experience to my friend and he confirmed that the person who interviewed has had several run-ins with his co-workers and management because of his attitude. Oh well.

Interview Questions
    • What is a fast-fourier transform and how is it used in signal processing? This was for a software-developer position!   Answer Question

Sales Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at PayPal.

Took about 6 weeks from start to finish. Extremely slow process. Very strange recruiting process. Several interviews with several team leads, one can't make any kind if decision. No drug testing, but do background check. Very strange.

Interview Questions
    • The management has come up with a set criteria of questions. Very archaic and not optimal to the diversity of sales reps.   View Answer
    They do not negotiate

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PayPal.

I submitted my resume at a career fair and basically forgot about it for a while. Got an email weeks later asking for an interview, which consisted of 3 Skype interviews in a row. Nothing difficult, I only had 1 tech question, and the rest were all behavioral.

Interview Questions
    Got a very good offer, did not negotiate.

Remediation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at PayPal in November 2014.

I was endorsed by a staffing solutions firm. A day after the recruiter scheduled me for a phone interview with one of the team leader. A few hours after the phone interview my recruiter called and scheduled me for an in-person interview in the next two days. On the day of the interview, I met my recruiter at the location who then introduced me to another team leader. The team leader escorted me and we then proceeded with the interview process. I was interviewed by 4 staffs from various teams consecutively in 3 hours. There was also a short written test to measure one's proficiency in SQL scripting and debugging of nested joins and Select queries. The interviewers were personable, astute, and quite passionate about their work. One can tell from their questions that this position was urgent and vital to their operations. They were courteous in answering my questions and even thank me for taking time to apply for this position. Their kind gesture and professionalism made this interview process a humbling and unforgettable experience.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the items in the written exam were "What Does This Code Do?" type formats. While they were not difficult, several of them were time-consuming especially those that included data manipulation languages with nested joins integrated into the scripts.   View Answer
    The negotiation with the staffing agency was not problematic. The recruiter was honest and upfront and willing to work and explore to arrive at amicable terms.

Customer Solutions Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hunt Valley, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hunt Valley, MD

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at PayPal in November 2014.

HR interview was smooth and pleasant. Hiring managers were pleasant, but 2nd interviewer seemed to go into the interview with his mind already made up not to hire me based on my previous interview experience. Both interviews were of the behavioral style, there seemed to be on retrospect more emphasis on employees that fit in to the culture rather than employees who would be good performers, with a proven track record of such.

Interview Questions
    • Second hiring manager interviewer was concerned about my working several part-time and contract positions at one time, without understanding that none of these jobs were capable of providing a full-time salary on their own. I understand that can seem like disloyalty, but in this day and age that is how you survive and pay your bills on time while building up experience and work history in the shortest time possible.

All of my jobs knew about the other jobs I held down, managers were understanding as they could not offer full time work, and quite unexpected that it would be counted as a negative against me to be ambitious and fiscally responsible. I had given up other jobs when my current job was going full-time, but that didn't seem to matter.

Answer Question

Software Development EngineerAt Paypal, Shanghai Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at PayPal.

Ebay&Paypal came to our university to hire intern. Got a short written test, about several simple tech questions and brain tease. After one hour, we were asked to take several short interviews. Three tech round, first with a engineer, second with a project manager, third with a group manager. Nothing special, no code writing. Just ask some basic questions about OS, Database, Network and something about your CV. After one month, I got the offer.

Senior Manager Finance Interview

The initial interview was a 45 minute phone screen by hiring manager. A week later, a Human Resource associate coordinated a full day on campus interview for the following week. The on campus interview consisted of six 45 minute interviews with team members and business partners at different levels. Lunch with more junior team members was part of the agenda.