PayPal Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015
Updated Apr 15, 2015

2.9

Risk Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PayPal (Berkeley, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied through Ebay website. The process took 2 weeks.
    There are 3 phone interviews in total. The first one focuses on my background and asked few questions about SQL, and optimization given a simple scenario. The second one is with a Risk Manager and she is the potential supervisor of this intern position. She asked me about how to determine a credit card stolen given some conditions. The last phone interview just focused on some behavior questions and also some questions about risks.

Software Engineer Intern III Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at PayPal.

Interview

Applied through college job fair and was contacted in 2 weeks. Recruiter arranged a Skype call that was split into 3 interviews. 2 interviews with some devs who asked tech questions and one with the team manager. Got acceptance in 2 weeks.

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at PayPal.

Interview

The process started with a 45-minute phone interview. The next step involved 3 more phone interviews all lasting about 45 minutes to an hour. The next step was an in-person interview with the leadership this position would be supporting. After multiple interviews I never heard from anyone again - no email, no phone call, no system-generated decline letter. Everyone I spoke and met with was friendly. The culture appeared fast-paced with high expectations.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in leaving your current employer? What interests you about this position? Tell me of a time you _____ (fill in the blank - they were based on the role, responsibilities, etc.)? What are your salary expectations? How soon could you start if selected?   Answer Question

Corporate Strategy Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Easy process including a 30-minute phone interview and a 'super day' onsite that included a case study. Was given a case prompt, had an hour to prep, and then had to present a few "dummy" slides to a panel of 3 members of the team.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PayPal (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online through their Careers website.
    HR contacted me few weeks later and asked me if I was available to talk to a manager.
    The manager generally questioned me on my interests, projects and described at length about the projects at Paypal.
    He asked me a few questions on my projects and in general, my opinions on different languages, technologies.
    After this, I had a technical phone screen with one of the engineers on the team.
    It was a coding round coupled with some questions on OOPs, multi-threading etc.
    I was immediately contacted for another set of interviews. Since I could not go onsite to their SFO office, all these rounds were online.
    I had three interviews which were completely coding.
    But the interviews were really friendly and extremely cool.
    They would let you arrive to the solution and were interested in how you think ,your reasoning apart from your code.

Interview Questions

• All questions were coding, OOPs concepts, standard algorithms and data structures. Complexity and some questions were related to JAVA.
      Nothing unexpected.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got reply after one month. Had three rounds of interview. All telephonic. First interview was with the technical manager of the team. She asked me about my projects and other behavioral questions like why do want work at PayPal etc. It lasted hardly for 20 mins. Then the second round and third rounds were with the engineers within the team. They also asked me mostly about my projects. These were a bit detailed interviews and drilled down into the specifics about it.

Interview Questions

• Surprisingly no coding or object oriented questions were asked.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Was contacted a few weeks after applying through my university. Had a first round interview with an engineer and then moved on to the final round which consisted of three interviews with two engineers and a manager.

Debit Card Team Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PayPal.

Interview

Two interviews. First with HR and then with team leaders. Following the second interview, it was apparent I was going to receive an offer because I was walked through the building to show me the facilities and where training would be conducted. Approach the interview with a positive and honest approach and you should do fine. I like PayPal because its a more modern and progressive company that where I previously worked. I mentioned this during the interview and when asked why I wanted to leave.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this specific job.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation...offer was at a specific hourly rate.

Customer Solutions Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at PayPal in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online and received email the next day to arrange a brief phone screening, along with a separate email with an assessment test. Typing speed, basic customer service questions, and computer usage. This went really well as the recruiter is very helpful in feeling you out and telling you what to expect/prep for at on site interview, which in my case was 3 days later. Met with a Talent Acquisition Coordinator, whom was very nice and down to earth, while maintaining enough formality to keep that "job interview" vibe. A bit of chat then right into the behavioral interview questions. "Describe a time you encountered a difficult co worker or team member and how did you handle it" stuff. Also, KNOW what PayPal does.

At this point a on site interview is scheduled - they said "group", but I met with 2 Team managers at the same time, with no one else present. First a tour to show you the facility and perks, followed by both managers asking you questions in tandem. All behavioral, it is a bit unsettling as it goes from casual "normal" conversation during tour to the behavioral questions which is followed by silence as they write down your answers and take notes. When done they left the room, presumably to confer and decide.

I was asked to remain and log in to my email to wait for a background check email to come through. I can only assume if they did not believe you were a good fit that you would not be asked to stay and the interview would be concluded prior. Before I left, I was asked which date of training class I would prefer and took that as a good sign. I received an offer by phone within 3 days from the original person from the first on site, which is nice, it shows they actually remember YOU and not just another applicant. Official email offer follows.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to meet with a superior about your performance and what was the result.   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at PayPal.

Interview

For intern interview, only one round.
    Discuss the projects written in the resume.
    Asked an open question, it is the real problem they come across during this work. Mainly want to know how you solve the problem.