PayPal Interview Questions

Updated Sep 13, 2014

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at PayPal.

From various interviewers on-site, I was asked:

- Design and implement an iterator for a singly-linked list class.
    - How would you design a garbage collector?
    - Given two connected singly-linked lists (giving a T-shaped structure), find the node where they connect.
    - Implement a complete singly-linked list class in C++.
    - Cycle detection in singly-linked lists.
    - Describe the differences between C++ and Java.
    - Determine if a binary tree is balanced.
    - Describe the architecture of the systems of my current employer.
    - Describe how to maintain data integrity across concurrent reads/writes to/from a database.
    - How to remove duplicates from an array.
    - When does it make sense to store a tree ADT in an array?
    - How would you organize a data structure used for parsing arithmetic operations? (Like 3*2 + 4 = 10)
    - Write a python script to scan the files in a directory for a word. Return true if the word is found in at least one file and false if otherwise.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing truly unexpected. Thorough knowledge of OOP, data structures, and algorithms will serve you well.   Answer Question

I rejected the offer because I wasn't feeling the culture when I was on-site. That, combined with Glassdoor reviews mentioning the competitive culture with the stacked ranking system led to me accepting another offer.

Director Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PayPal.

Was approached via my Linked In profile. Had a phone screen on a Friday afternoon. Was interview the next Tuesday over the phone. Flown out to San Jose within a matter of days. An entire day of back:back interviews. Skype interview w SVP the next week. Offer extended. Lightning speed.

Interview Questions
    • How I would refine the acquisition strategy for PayPal products to move away from organic growth and drive more aggressive and deliberate acquisition.   Answer Question
    I was told there was no wiggle room, I was brought in at the ceiling- which made no sense to me. They offered options I was never able to exercise, as a woo feature. Once hired, they tried to change my comp structure claiming that was the plan all along and "recruiting" should have told me that.

Contract Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Omaha, NE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at PayPal in July 2013.

I was referred by a local staffing agency to the position. First I had a Phone interview. Discussed my past college and corporate hiring experience and was hired to start the following day.

They told me the hourly rate and I accepted. I started the next day.

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied in-person - interviewed at PayPal in January 2013.

Interview process starts with HR screening. Then phone interview with the hiring manager. If both looks positive, then on-site meeting with 4-6 people form. The interview panel is usually from different areas in the company (e.g. Developers, QA, Program managers, Product owners). Usually get back within a week and then HR paperwork/negotiation.

Interview Questions
    Took the offer. It was an internal move from eBay to PayPal.

Senior Manager Sales Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Omaha, NE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at PayPal in March 2014.

I had 5 phone interviews and didn't make it to the face to face. It was down to me and 2 other candidates, I was told in my last phone screen that I made it through to the next round by the hiring manager himself. 3 weeks later I got a declination letter.

User Interface Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PayPal in March 2014.

One phone interview, one in person interview

upfront

Senior Manager, Growth Marketing Products Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at PayPal in March 2014.

The interview process moved surprisingly fast (3 weeks total time) for a company of that size. The people where great, the HR very well organised. First round of phone interviews was with HR, then with the hiring manager, then with a colleague and then the round of in-person 1-1 interview was with the hiring manager and then with 5 people in the team in one day. In addition they requested 5 reference to fill out a survey.

Interview Questions
    • What is your knowledge of Hadoop? How does is to compare with SQL? When to use SQL vs Non-SQL?   Answer Question

Software Development Intern Interview

I applied online, it took a 4 days to process, then a telephone interview followed from a Sr. Development Manager. Another telephone interview from two MTS followed next week, each for half hour

Interview Questions
    • nothing unexpected, basic Java questions, database questions, technique questions based on projects I ve ever involved.   Answer Question

Associate Risk Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at PayPal in February 2012.

2 phone interviews + onsite interview with 7.

Mostly case interview focused on P&L and analytics. The interviewers are very nice, and it was obvious that the company got big plans. For all 3 rounds, I got responses back within 2 days, as they had promised. Very professional overall.

Senior Product Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at PayPal.

First the PayPal recruiter contacted me and asked about salary expectations and clarified the role and what the hiring manager was looking for. Then there was a phone interview with the hiring manager. Then had a full day interview in the PayPal office with several people.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how to solve an existing issue in PayPal which existing employees were unable to address   Answer Question